THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Feeling no pain

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Feeling no pain Empty Feeling no pain

Post by Eddie Mon Nov 24 2014, 19:04

Feeling no pain

Jan has gone down to the South Coast for a few days visiting relations. This leaves me free to potter about getting on with chores around our little flat. Stereo on and a very nice Rioja breathing in the kitchen. We live and work together 24/7 so a break away does us no harm. I retire at the end of the year and we will work around a month of the year for our favorite clients. That is until total decrepitude takes me over, lets face it, you don’t have to be in tip top form to hold a camera.

For my last years all I want is a good roof over my head, a warm clean bed, some good books, some quality grub, a bottle of reasonable wine, my fishing club and and our big music collection. I almost forgot, my Jan, the finest human being I ever met. We do our best to be wanderers.

I left school at fifteen, I have worked for fifty years, never out of work, I have been very lucky. I reckon I have earned a few good years in retirement. So what have I learned? That less is often far more, that money and wealth does not make a man happy. That health and the love and loyalty of family and friends is the most important thing in this life.

Many years ago, and when a young man, I read a book by the actor Sterling Hayden called the Wanderer. It had a profound effect on me then, and to this day . A passage from this great book.

“So it is no wonder that the mass of people regard the wanderer as a cross between a romantic vagabond and an irresponsible semi-ne’er-do-well who can’t-or won’t-fit in. Which is not to say that those who are fated to stay at home and toe the line do not look at the wanderer with envy and, yes, even awe, for he is doing what they would like to be doing, and something tells them they will never do it unless they either “strike it rich” or retire -and once retirement rolls around, chances are it will be too late. They know that too.

This would seem to mean that the whole thing is largely a matter of luck, with which I would be the first to agree, having been blessed with good fortune through most of my working life. But I would be remiss if I didn’t add that if you want to wander, you’re going to have to work at it and give up the one thing that most non-wanderers prize so highly-the illusion of security.

I say “illusion” because the most “secure” people I’ve encountered are, when you come right down to it, the least secure once they have been removed from job and home and bank account. While those unfortunate enough to be locked into some despised and unrewarding job are even worse off. And if I have been favoured with good luck all down the years, I can also quickly single out scores of men and women spread around this beleaguered old world who, without “luck”, have managed to live lives of freedom and adventure (that curious word) beyond the wildest dreams of the stay-at-homes who, when fresh out of school, opted for that great destroyer of men’s souls, security.”

In my opinion a truly great book, and the way I try to live my life. I have often failed but I try.
    ISBN 978-1-57409-048-2
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Feeling no pain Empty Re: Feeling no pain

Post by zand Mon Nov 24 2014, 19:28

lol now I feel depressed because I opted for security! I suppose I did so because I wanted children and a stable, secure home to bring them up in. Not sure I'm brave enough to be a wanderer Sad
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Nov 24 2014, 19:38

No one more than me went after what I thought was security. The big detached house, the his and hers Mercs on the ten car drive, the country club memberships. That lifestyle very near killed me. 16 hours a day working and stress off the scale. Then I saw the light. It was not worth dying for.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Mon Nov 24 2014, 20:29

I know people with money and people without money. It certainly doesn't buy happiness. Those I know with money are not content. I think £'s are like carbs lol ! The more you have, the more you want.
    I'm comfortable but I've never had loads & never will. I'm a grafter but not really ambitious. Still, we do need those go getters, we do need the chasers of the £ and industry winners. Look at Branson, Dyson, Sugar etc. They employ 1000's and generate wealth. What we don't need are the corrupt politicians and wasters that love to take but offer very little in return.
    I'm like Zand I guess, I like comfort & security. I don't see it as a bad thing. Surrounded by family and loving life.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Nov 24 2014, 21:08

"I'm like Zand I guess, I like comfort & security."

One man's comfort and security is another man's misery. We all want comfort and security, but different things to different folks.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Mon Nov 24 2014, 21:14

Agree Eddie, maybe what I meant to say is I'm not a risk taker ? I could make more money moving job, location or similar. I've been offered promotion but it involved moving North. I've often toyed with the idea of buying another property to rent out but bottled it.
    Perhaps a better term for comfortable would be happy or content. One of my best mates never looks at consequence. He doesn't bat an eyelid borrowing money or "bending the rules " slightly. He is loaded and has his own building firm and owns about 15 houses. He's not happy though.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Nov 24 2014, 21:16

Like I said going after the Holy Grail very near killed me. I also said less is more.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Tue Nov 25 2014, 07:30

i could be a wanderer, i don't care about security, in fact i could be a smelly tramp living on the streets, i could go without washing or changing my clothes from month to month, i am not afraid of the dark, i get pleasure from watching the clouds roll across the sky and from the sound of the waves crashing onto the beach, after all my happy place is a small tent on a smelly lake in all weathers, yup i could happily wander.

having kids makes security important though, my life has just kind of happened to me, never a plan, or ambition, never meant to ever get married and have kids, just fell in love with someone who wanted kids, never meant to buy my own house, we just needed somewhere to live

no regrets
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Nov 25 2014, 09:26

"i could be a wanderer, i don't care about security, in fact i could be a smelly tramp living on the streets, i could go without washing or changing my clothes from month to month, i am not afraid of the dark, i get pleasure from watching the clouds roll across the sky and from the sound of the waves crashing onto the beach, after all my happy place is a small tent on a smelly lake in all weathers, yup i could happily wander."

Andy I wasn't advocating we should all become tramps and dossers.  wtf

Feeling no pain P_stig-dump_1650008c
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Tue Nov 25 2014, 10:48

eddie1 wrote:"i could be a wanderer, i don't care about security, in fact i could be a smelly tramp living on the streets, i could go without washing or changing my clothes from month to month, i am not afraid of the dark, i get pleasure from watching the clouds roll across the sky and from the sound of the waves crashing onto the beach, after all my happy place is a small tent on a smelly lake in all weathers, yup i could happily wander."

Andy I wasn't advocating we should all become tramps and dossers.  wtf

Feeling no pain P_stig-dump_1650008c

That's Andy!!!! When he was a tiny puppy, oh sweeeeeeet! Smile
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Tue Nov 25 2014, 11:00

I think there's a balance between having enough money to be secure financially (and avoid stress if you're not) and having loadsamoney with little use for it apart from more property and bling. I've still got a mortgage to pay off and I'll feel a lot better when it's done. Otherwise we live fairly modestly and get our kicks from travel and a wide range of interests and hobbies.

If we won the lottery we wouldn't move - after making sure the family and close friends were OK the rest would go to charity, either direct or by setting up some business/trust related to animals or the homeless.

I like to think (although I'm not planning on it yet!) that we could manage in a small rural cottage in the Celtic fringes (other than Cornwall!) or even in France, or drifting around on a canal boat if it came to that.

Stuff to do, not things to buy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12 2024, 14:11