THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Roasted sprouts and halloumi with sweet chilli and balsamic dressing

Loobles
    Loobles

Roasted sprouts and halloumi with sweet chilli and balsamic dressing Empty Roasted sprouts and halloumi with sweet chilli and balsamic dressing

Post by Loobles Sat Aug 16 2014, 13:12

This is one of my fave vegetarian dishes and, because it's got a hefty amount of cheese, it's really filling too. Ignore the fact my presentation is appalling (I'll never make a food blogger), it tastes lovely!

Roasted sprouts and halloumi with sweet chilli and balsamic dressing 20140812

CARBS
    Approx 20g, depending on your choice of brands etc.

INGREDIENTS (serves 1)
    100-150g Halloumi
    100g sprouts
    10g sweet chilli sauce
    1tbsp olive oil
    1tbsp balsamic vinegar
    You could add other things too such as mushrooms (I sometimes replace the sprouts with mushrooms if I need to reduce the carb count), chilli flakes, pine nuts or bacon. I've tried them all and they're all really tasty.

METHOD
    1. Preheat oven to 170C (fan) or 190C (regular)
    2. Toss sprouts in olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    3. Roast in oven until slightly soft (about 15-20 mins)
    4. Remove from oven and sprinkle chunks of halloumi over the top
    5. Bake in oven until cheese is golden brown at the edges
    6. Remove from oven and drizzle sweet chilli sauce over the top

Hubby loves this and he's not into vegetarian food normally; try it, you might like it (even if it won't win any prizes in the best looking food competition).
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Roasted sprouts and halloumi with sweet chilli and balsamic dressing Empty Re: Roasted sprouts and halloumi with sweet chilli and balsamic dressing

Post by Paul1976 Sat Aug 16 2014, 13:29

Loobles wrote:This is one of my fave vegetarian dishes and, because it's got a hefty amount of cheese, it's really filling too. Ignore the fact my presentation is appalling (I'll never make a food blogger), it tastes lovely!

Roasted sprouts and halloumi with sweet chilli and balsamic dressing 20140812

CARBS
    Approx 20g, depending on your choice of brands etc.

INGREDIENTS (serves 1)
    100-150g Halloumi
    100g sprouts
    10g sweet chilli sauce
    1tbsp olive oil
    1tbsp balsamic vinegar
    You could add other things too such as mushrooms (I sometimes replace the sprouts with mushrooms if I need to reduce the carb count), chilli flakes, pine nuts or bacon. I've tried them all and they're all really tasty.

METHOD
    1. Preheat oven to 170C (fan) or 190C (regular)
    2. Toss sprouts in olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    3. Roast in oven until slightly soft (about 15-20 mins)
    4. Remove from oven and sprinkle chunks of halloumi over the top
    5. Bake in oven until cheese is golden brown at the edges
    6. Remove from oven and drizzle sweet chilli sauce over the top

Hubby loves this and he's not into vegetarian food normally; try it, you might like it (even if it won't win any prizes in the best looking food competition).

That's sounds yummy! Smile I LOVE Halloumi and have been mad on it since first discovering it on my first holiday to Cyprus! I reckon those ingredients will compliment and work with the slight saltiness of the Halloumi perfectly! Smile
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Roasted sprouts and halloumi with sweet chilli and balsamic dressing Empty Re: Roasted sprouts and halloumi with sweet chilli and balsamic dressing

Post by mo1905 Sat Aug 16 2014, 22:16

Doesn't matter what you eat, sweet chilli sauce is a winner. I only had it for the first time last year on fresh salmon and it was amazing ! I've mentioned it before ( and I have no pics ) but since diagnosis, I have discovered swede and carrot mash. Give it a go :-)
    Loobles
    Loobles

Post by Loobles Sun Aug 17 2014, 09:55

mo1905 wrote:Doesn't matter what you eat, sweet chilli sauce is a winner. I only had it for the first time last year on fresh salmon and it was amazing ! I've mentioned it before ( and I have no pics ) but since diagnosis, I have discovered swede and carrot mash. Give it a go :-)
    I love sweet chilli sauce, but trouble is you don't get much for your carb allowance. At least it's strong tasting though, so you don't really need too much.

I love carrot and swede mash but I've not really dared try and root vegetables since I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago. Now I've got a better idea of how much total carb I can tolerate though, i'm ready to start trying some root vegetables again. I absolutely LOVE carrots, in fact anything with carrots is good in my book LOL
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Mon Aug 18 2014, 11:11

Sprouts and haloumi! That's Christmas dinner sorted  santa 
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Mon Aug 18 2014, 11:31

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:Sprouts and haloumi!  That's Christmas dinner sorted  santa 

Throw a few roasted chestnuts in to the recipe then it'll be good and festive!  Wink 

Post by Guest Mon Aug 18 2014, 16:21

It is amazing how many things I have been cooking for years in my vegetarian diet are already low carb.
    I never thought of them as low carb before ....they were just my vegetarian meals ....
    I do small amounts of medium carb sometimes ....not often ...but that is just me...
    Sprouts are good with a bit of curry powder and garlic and onion ...all chopped up ....really nice...
    I will try with the chilli sauce as well ....sounds really nice .... :sunny

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 06:19