THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+7
AliB
mo1905
Jan1
zand
Andy12345
Paul1976
Douglas V
11 posters

Just joined, looking forward to good tips.

Douglas V

Just joined, looking forward to good tips. Empty Just joined, looking forward to good tips.

Post by Douglas V Tue Nov 11 2014, 10:16

HI, Just found you today A short indroduction. I'm a type 2 diabetic and have been diagnosed for about 8 years. Have watched my H1bc slowly rise until my doc said I had to start injecting insulin. Instead I quickly lost weight with the 5:2 diet to get my blood glucose out of the danger level. The last few months I've been on a mild low carb diet, but for the last month have been on a less than 20gr per day of carb diet. I've enjoyed watching my daily blood glucose level slowly fall and am in the normal level now. I continue to fast twice a week and am hoping to cure my diabetes, or at the least hang on until there's a cure availiable. I do miss the carbs, but am managing to continue on the ketongentic diet.  Regards, Douglas
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Just joined, looking forward to good tips. Empty Re: Just joined, looking forward to good tips.

Post by Paul1976 Tue Nov 11 2014, 10:24

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum Douglas! Smile
    Congratulations on your achievements so far and well done on gaining control without injected insulin! Smile
    I'm following a ketogenic diet myself although I'm eating slightly more carbs than yourself-usually about 40 grams per day on average.
    Looking forward to you being a valued part of our little community.

Best wishes

Paul
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Just joined, looking forward to good tips. Empty Re: Just joined, looking forward to good tips.

Post by Andy12345 Tue Nov 11 2014, 10:31

hi, welcome Smile
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Tue Nov 11 2014, 10:55

Hello and welcome from me too. Smile I'm type 2 as well and have been for 3 years.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Tue Nov 11 2014, 12:09

Hello and a warm welcome to the Forum. sunny

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Tue Nov 11 2014, 12:34

Big welcome to the forum Douglas, sounds like you've found what works for you, well done. If you have any questions or need some advice, please ask. If not, happy to have you here and hope you enjoy some of the other threads. Please keep us updated with your progress and share your latest HbA1C when you get the next one done. Take care, Mo

Last edited by mo1905 on Tue Nov 11 2014, 18:41; edited 1 time in total
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Tue Nov 11 2014, 15:36

Hi Douglas.  Welcome to the Madhuis.....

No, It isn't always easy to avoid the carbs, especially when 'everyone else' can stuff their faces with it with seemingly no consequences, but the one thing that helps me is knowing that it really isn't doing them any good either, and sooner or later it will bite back.... :0(

We're just ahead of the game..... :0)
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Nov 11 2014, 18:28

Hi Douglas welcome to our humble forum, we try to bring some humour and a bit of madness to the world of diabetes, but make no mistake, we take BG control very seriously. I hope we can learn from each other and look forward to more of your posts.

Regards Eddie
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Tue Nov 11 2014, 21:29

Douglas V wrote:HI, Just found you today A short indroduction. I'm a type 2 diabetic and have been diagnosed for about 8 years. Have watched my H1bc slowly rise until my doc said I had to start injecting insulin. Instead I quickly lost weight with the 5:2 diet to get my blood glucose out of the danger level. The last few months I've been on a mild low carb diet, but for the last month have been on a less than 20gr per day of carb diet. I've enjoyed watching my daily blood glucose level slowly fall and am in the normal level now. I continue to fast twice a week and am hoping to cure my diabetes, or at the least hang on until there's a cure availiable. I do miss the carbs, but am managing to continue on the ketongentic diet.  Regards, Douglas

A warm welcome Douglas, looks like you have already taken control I'ts not a cure but it will slow down or halt further progression.

I'm in my seventh year since diagnosis and only take metformin, a Low Carb diet is the main factor in keeping my blood sugars in check.

Graham
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Mon Dec 01 2014, 03:43

Melissa wrote:Douglas I would get of this forum fast its full of cranks, deadbeats and nutjobs, you been warned.

Missy1
    Yep, and in your many incarnations, you are every single one of them.

And even more reason why we don't want a private messaging system on the forum.
    rubydoo2840

Post by rubydoo2840 Thu Dec 11 2014, 15:56

Hi my name is Ruby. I just found this forum yesterday and was instantly hooked! I don't know too many Type 1s except for my brother..and find it hard for people to relate to my diet and nutritional lifestyle. I was diagnosed @ 19 years of age..I am now 28.

It has been a struggle to find the right balance of food and exercise to keep my sugars within normal range. I am a runner and will begin prepping for a bikini competition next year. I am within a normal weight for my height and age however can not get rid of my pudgy midsection.

Then I came across this forum and nearly brought tears to my eyes reading about the LCHF diet. Finally hope! To eat certain foods and not have to inject myself so much. I currently eat clean but the sweet potatoes and brown rice don't help my cause but now I know why.

I feel hopeful that this new way of eating will help keep me blodd sugars within normal limits, less insulin and maybe a more trim and lean body. I cannot wait to share with my brother and family.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 11 2014, 16:36

H Ruby and welcome to our forum. As you will see we have some very well controlled diabetics here, type 1 and 2 holding non diabetic HbA1c numbers. I hope you can learn something from us and we can learn from you. Please feel free to ask any question.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Thu Dec 11 2014, 16:45

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic Forum Ruby! Very Happy
    Looking forward to you being a valued member of our community.

Best wishes

Paul
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 11 2014, 17:01

Hello Ruby, and a warm welcome to the forum.  sunny

Looking forward to exchanging views, ideas, news with you. Just wondered are you a marathon runner at all? I'm no runner but enjoy walking.

All the best Jan
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Thu Dec 11 2014, 17:09

Hi, Welcome Smile
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Thu Dec 11 2014, 17:14

Welcome to the forum Ruby. If you have any specific questions, please ask.
    rubydoo2840

Post by rubydoo2840 Thu Dec 11 2014, 17:19

Hi everyone! Excited to be a part of this forum Smile

To Jan..I've run all my life due to my father's influence and recently completed my first half marathon in Nov a little under 2 hours..this last weekend I ran a 10k, this Sunday I'll be running another half marathon...let's just say I'll be running a Marathon at least once a month Dir the rest if my life..I really love to run and joining marathons makes it even more wnjoya me when you're surrounded by enthusiasts like myself...Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 11 2014, 17:27

Wow certainly a lot of running.  Smile

At this time of year many charities seem to have Christmas Jingle Bell Runs and Jogs. The Santa Dash etc ..... I think this is great, it encourages many to take part, which is good for fitness and helps raise money for good charitable causes. Also the camaraderie at these runs and events must be good.

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Dec 11 2014, 21:32

Hi and welcome Ruby, I'm a type 2 but I get were your coming from with the rice I found even a small portion of Basmati was a no go.

Cheers
    Graham

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 14:51