THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

Nearly all men over 60 and women over 75 eligible for statins, analysis suggests

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Nearly all men over 60 and women over 75 eligible for statins, analysis suggests Empty Nearly all men over 60 and women over 75 eligible for statins, analysis suggests

Post by graham64 Wed Aug 02 2017, 22:25

Almost all men over 60 and women over 75 should be eligible for statins, according to a new analysis.

After examining guidance on which patients should be offered statin therapy, researchers calculated 11.8 million English adults are eligible for the cholesterol-lowering drugs.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/01/nearly-all-men-over-60-and-women-over-75-eligible-for-statins-analysis-suggests

Meanwhile this conclusion from a new study 

Effect of Statin Treatment vs Usual Care on Primary Cardiovascular Prevention Among Older Adults
    The ALLHAT-LLT Randomized Clinical Trial

Conclusions and Relevance  No benefit was found when pravastatin was given for primary prevention to older adults with moderate hyperlipidemia and hypertension, and a nonsignificant direction toward increased all-cause mortality with pravastatin was observed among adults 75 years and older.

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2628971
    chris c
    chris c

Nearly all men over 60 and women over 75 eligible for statins, analysis suggests Empty Re: Nearly all men over 60 and women over 75 eligible for statins, analysis suggests

Post by chris c Fri Aug 04 2017, 00:09

Oh FFS! Has anyone EVER shown any health improvement for statins in women?

I could be wrong but I think ALLHAT was one of the studies NOT funded by statin manfacturers so more likely to be realistic.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Nearly all men over 60 and women over 75 eligible for statins, analysis suggests Empty Re: Nearly all men over 60 and women over 75 eligible for statins, analysis suggests

Post by graham64 Fri Aug 04 2017, 22:54

chris c wrote:Oh FFS! Has anyone EVER shown any health improvement for statins in women?

I could be wrong but I think ALLHAT was one of the studies NOT funded by statin manfacturers so more likely to be realistic.

Give the conclusion of the ALLHAT study I reckon your right it would be an unbiased study untainted by big pharma's $$$$$
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Aug 07 2017, 23:00

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06 2024, 23:35