THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

The Best and Worst Diabetes Food Advice I've Seen

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

The Best and Worst Diabetes Food Advice I've Seen Empty The Best and Worst Diabetes Food Advice I've Seen

Post by graham64 Wed Jul 26 2017, 22:39

The lame food advice at my diagnosis, why it didn’t work, and my #1 Bright Spot solution

I’ll never forget the diabetes food advice I received from my doctor at diagnosis:

“You can eat whatever you want, as long as you take insulin for it.”

In my view, this advice is misleading, overly simplistic, and damaging. In fact, I’d nominate it for the “worst” diabetes food advice out there. Unfortunately, those who are newly diagnosed tell me it is still common. Ugh.

Eating “whatever I wanted” and taking insulin for it was the worst kind of blank check – it set me up for years of out-of-control high blood sugars, deep and prolonged lows, huge guesstimated insulin doses (and therefore big mistakes), mood and energy swings, and lots of diabetes frustration. My blood sugar rarely stayed in my target range (70-140 mg/dl), since the effort required was so high.

It wasn’t until I took some nutrition classes in college, shared a dorm with a bodybuilder, started writing at diaTribe, and began using a continuous glucose monitor (CGM) that I landed on the food advice below: eating fewer carbs and more fat had a game-changing impact on my diabetes, insulin dosing burden, overall health (including cholesterol), and quality of life. In Bright Spots & Landmines, this advice appears first in the book for a reason – it’s been the most important tool for improving my life with diabetes. I’ll follow up next month with an updated list of foods I currently eat, recipes, and interesting new food tricks I’ve been testing.

More here: https://diatribe.org/best-and-worst-diabetes-food-advice
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

The Best and Worst Diabetes Food Advice I've Seen Empty Re: The Best and Worst Diabetes Food Advice I've Seen

Post by Eddie Thu Jul 27 2017, 18:43

Let us not forget a type two using injected insulin has up to three times the mortality rate as a non injecting type two diabetic. This was highlighted by this paper. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3612791/

This was commented on the flog in great detail, yet another locked thread when the truth became apparent. No place for the truth at the forum of flog. As can be seen here  http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/recent-insulin-study.50729/ That was the last time I posted at the flog under the name Fatbird. Banned by the departed bent mod Cherub, when I signed off a post under my real name, too much booze that night. Thems the breaks rofl
    chris c
    chris c

The Best and Worst Diabetes Food Advice I've Seen Empty Re: The Best and Worst Diabetes Food Advice I've Seen

Post by chris c Sat Jul 29 2017, 22:51

Yup, hyperinsulinemia is behind a LOT of health disasters from simple obesity through CVD to Alzheimers, and more.

Since DAFNE obesity has become more common in Type 1s to the extent they are now taking more and more Type 2 meds - not just Metformin - to deal with the effects of the excess insulin, and it's worse with Type 2s who may have to shoot enough insulin to stun a horse and that would kill a Type 1 stone dead.

PharmaCEO would be delighted, as would his Real Life compatriots.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sat Jul 29 2017, 23:59

Yes the high rates of overweight and obesity are surprisingly high and like you said DAFNE does nothing to reverse the trend 

Temporal patterns in overweight and obesity in Type 1 diabetes.

Abstract
    AIMS:
    Time trends in overweight and obesity in the general population have been well documented; however, temporal patterns in Type 1 diabetes (T1DM) have not been thoroughly investigated. We therefore assessed temporal patterns in overweight and obesity and predictors of weight change in 589 individuals from the Pittsburgh Epidemiology of Diabetes Complications Study, a cohort of childhood-onset T1DM.

METHODS:
    Participants were first seen in 1986-1988, when mean age and diabetes duration were 29 and 20 years, respectively, and biennially thereafter for 18 years. Overweight was defined as 25.0<or=body mass index (BMI)<30.0 kg/m2. Obesity was defined as BMI>or=30.0 kg/m2.

RESULTS:
    At baseline, the prevalence of overweight and obesity were 28.6% and 3.4%, respectively. After 18 years' follow-up, the prevalence of overweight increased by 47% while the prevalence of obesity increased sevenfold. Seven per cent were on intensive insulin therapy (>or=3 insulin injections per day or on insulin pump) at baseline; by 2004-2007, this was 82%. Predictors of weight change were a higher baseline HbA1c, symptomatic autonomic neuropathy (inversely), overt nephropathy (inversely), and going onto intensive insulin therapy during follow-up.

CONCLUSIONS:

These data demonstrate dramatic weight gain in T1DM and underscore the complexity of weight change in this disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20536510
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Jul 30 2017, 00:10

Time was when the BDEC course was regarded much more highly, but I've since heard that this too has become another example of "carb up and shoot up".

Meanwhile Richard Bernstein is still thriving, as are increasing numbers of others following Type1Grit and similar.

I wonder how long before Partha Kar in Portsmouth becomes convinced, he is otherwise doing good work and seems to be half way there but still listening too much to dieticians.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 14:56