THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+12
cold ethyl
Bluetit
Scandichic
Loobles
Andy12345
Jan1
Xyz
Eddie
graham64
mo1905
sanguine
Mud Island Dweller
16 posters

Are You Embarrassed Being T2

Are You Embarrassed Being T2 - Page 2 Empty Re: Are You Embarrassed Being T2

Post by Guest Tue Aug 19 2014, 16:25

No I don't like talking about it to extended family , neighbours etc...
    I don't want to be labelled, this is mainly the fault of the media ....
    Lack of knowledge by individuals ....people often don't really want to know, just gives them something to talk about ....

Of course chatting about it here , well that is very different ....
    Understanding ....that is really nice..... sunny 
    Bebo321
    Bebo321

Female Posts : 0

Post by Bebo321 Tue Aug 19 2014, 16:36

I work with Team Blood Glucose (basically a not-for profit set up by patients to support and enable all with diabetes to lead full healthy lives - educating about exercise/diet and the benefits). I just wonder why it is that at least ninety percent (at the moment) of interest comes from people with T1, even though I know there are loads of people with T2 out there who are active and totally switched on about managing their diabetes (forum's like this are a great example of that). I appreciate that TeamBG hasn't done a particularly good job of appealing to T2s as yet (sorry for that), however I wonder if perhaps some of it comes from the embarrassment/stigma that still seems to surround T2?

Post by Guest Tue Aug 19 2014, 16:41

Bebo321 wrote:I work with Team Blood Glucose (basically a not-for profit set up by patients to support and enable all with diabetes to lead full healthy lives - educating about exercise/diet and the benefits). I just wonder why it is that at least ninety percent (at the moment) of interest comes from people with T1, even though I know there are loads of people with T2 out there who are active and totally switched on about managing their diabetes (forum's like this are a great example of that). I appreciate that TeamBG hasn't done a particularly good job of appealing to T2s as yet (sorry for that), however I wonder if perhaps some of it comes from the embarrassment/stigma that still seems to surround T2?
    Hello , this sounds very interesting I am t2 afraid I have not heard of this but it sounds very good ....
    I hate making people fit in boxes , eg type 1 2 3 etc I do believe in equality for all ....thanks for sharing ....leading a full and active healthy life should be a goal,for all , not just with diabetes either, but it would help....
    Bebo321
    Bebo321

Post by Bebo321 Tue Aug 19 2014, 16:53

Kat100 wrote:
    Bebo321 wrote:I work with Team Blood Glucose (basically a not-for profit set up by patients to support and enable all with diabetes to lead full healthy lives - educating about exercise/diet and the benefits). I just wonder why it is that at least ninety percent (at the moment) of interest comes from people with T1, even though I know there are loads of people with T2 out there who are active and totally switched on about managing their diabetes (forum's like this are a great example of that). I appreciate that TeamBG hasn't done a particularly good job of appealing to T2s as yet (sorry for that), however I wonder if perhaps some of it comes from the embarrassment/stigma that still seems to surround T2?
    Hello , this sounds very interesting I am t2 afraid I have not heard of this but it sounds very good ....
    I hate making people fit in boxes , eg type 1 2  3 etc I do believe in equality for all ....thanks for sharing ....leading a full and active healthy life should be a goal,for all , not just with diabetes either, but it would help....

*like* Very Happy 
    Thanks Kat100 - we're at www.teambloodglucose.com if you would like to take a look. As I say, I think we appear to be a bit too 'sporty' at the moment, but our intentions are absolutely to encourage all. We're just struggling on how best to get T2s on board, and I wonder if embarrassment/stigma is stopping some from getting involved?

Post by Guest Tue Aug 19 2014, 17:03

Bebo321 wrote:
    Kat100 wrote:
    I hate making people fit in boxes , eg type 1 2  3 etc I do believe in equality for all ....thanks for sharing ....leading a full and active healthy life should be a goal,for all , not just with diabetes either, but it would help....

*like* Very Happy 
    Thanks Kat100 - we're at www.teambloodglucose.com if you would like to take a look. As I say, I think we appear to be a bit too 'sporty' at the moment, but our intentions are absolutely to encourage all. We're just struggling on how best to get T2s on board, and I wonder if embarrassment/stigma is stopping some from getting involved?
    thank you I will take a look ....just had my 5 mile work out does that count for sporty .... Basketball x
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Tue Aug 19 2014, 17:14

5 mile workout? Definitely sporty I reckon Kat! Smile
    Bebo321
    Bebo321

Post by Bebo321 Tue Aug 19 2014, 17:25

Absolutely!!!
    That's brilliant! - have trouble with a 5K and it's my husband who has the diabetes! Laughing

Post by Guest Tue Aug 19 2014, 17:31

paul1976 wrote:5 mile workout? Definitely sporty I reckon Kat! Smile
    lol Paul thank,you ...I always used to swim and play badminton I was really to thin...
    Then after a large growth in my stomach and an op the pounds piled on and I had many health problems ...are you bored yet ....ha ha ...
    Any way , now after weight gain , and now weight loss I am getting back to being more me 3 or 5 miles walk most days ...I enjoy it .....I have about two days off a week though.....when diagnosed nearly two years ago this November I was in my 100's now I am 37 , 5.7 in old money for me to understand ...can't do the figures....
    I have lowered my carbs and my fats and my cal intake , what ever I do I have changed my eating habits and it has worked for me, my main goal is still working on good hba1c levels because I had to get those blood sugar readings lower and keep them there, cutting out sugar or lowering it was my first and main goal ....November is my next test ....hope I get a good third reading ....yes I am concerned , I am type 2 but cousins and their children adults are type 1 ....ok ramble over .... sunny 

Post by Guest Tue Aug 19 2014, 17:34

Bebo321 wrote:Absolutely!!!
    That's brilliant! - have trouble with a 5K and it's my husband who has the diabetes! Laughing
    you can come for a walk with me ...I have a ruck sack to look the part ....
     bounce 
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Tue Aug 19 2014, 17:43

I don't like telling people I have t2. Apart from the stigma I feel from the current media climate, I don't want to to be scrutinised by the diabetes police every time I eat something. Everybody I have told so far does not actually believe me when I tell them about the plenty-o-carbs, never test NHS treatment. They think I'm making it up and they look at me funny  scratch 

I was also severely rattled by the reaction of a family member and it has put me off telling people now. Two days before my official diagnosis..."you are stupid, you don't know what you are doing, the doctors are experts, why are you wasting the NHS time even asking to be diagnosed if you are not going to do as you are told" etc. Everyone else in the family has been very supportive, but it is this bad experience that sticks in my mind. She can shove my fabulous hba1c...
    Bebo321
    Bebo321

Post by Bebo321 Tue Aug 19 2014, 17:55

Kat100 wrote:
    Bebo321 wrote:Absolutely!!!
    you can come for a walk with me ...I have a ruck sack to look the part ....
     bounce 

Yay! Very Happy 
    Loobles
    Loobles

Post by Loobles Tue Aug 19 2014, 18:19

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I don't like telling people I have t2.  Apart from the stigma I feel from the current media climate, I don't want to to be scrutinised by the diabetes police every time I eat something.  Everybody I have told so far does not actually believe me when I tell them about the plenty-o-carbs, never test NHS treatment.  They think I'm making it up and they look at me funny  scratch 

I was also severely rattled by the reaction of a family member and it has put me off telling people now.  Two days before my official diagnosis..."you are stupid, you don't know what you are doing, the doctors are experts, why are you wasting the NHS time even asking to be diagnosed if you are not going to do as you are told" etc.  Everyone else in the family has been very supportive, but it is this bad experience that sticks in my mind. She can shove my fabulous hba1c...

That ^^^

...is exactly why I've been choosy who I tell.

The people I've told have been brilliant so far, my manager has even gone out of his way to make sure I leave work early while I still have enough energy to go for a swim. I finally told my sister yesterday, I should have known she'd be ok, but I was still hesitant. As it happens, she was also wonderfully supportive. My colleagues at work know something is up as I've been working from home some days (to attend appointments and because of the abscess I had which meant it was just logistically easier to be at home)...they keep prying...but I'm giving nothing away.
    Xyz

Female Posts : 66

Post by Xyz Tue Aug 19 2014, 18:27

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I don't like telling people I have t2.  Apart from the stigma I feel from the current media climate, I don't want to to be scrutinised by the diabetes police every time I eat something.  Everybody I have told so far does not actually believe me when I tell them about the plenty-o-carbs, never test NHS treatment.  They think I'm making it up and they look at me funny  scratch 

I was also severely rattled by the reaction of a family member and it has put me off telling people now.  Two days before my official diagnosis..."you are stupid, you don't know what you are doing, the doctors are experts, why are you wasting the NHS time even asking to be diagnosed if you are not going to do as you are told" etc.  Everyone else in the family has been very supportive, but it is this bad experience that sticks in my mind. She can shove my fabulous hba1c...

I so agree.

People have been judging every fragment of lettuce I have eaten for decades (happens to fatties).  So being judged on food intake doesn't phase me (they are ignorant and judgemental, I'm knowledgable and judge-resistant).

However, I wouldn't tell friends, family, and random strangers, about a thrush infection, or menstrual cycle, or Athletes foot, or...? unless it was appropriate.

So I only tell people about my type 2 when I need to influence food I am being offered.  

There is nothing more irritating than people who make a food intolerance, diet choice or food preference, into some sort of attention seeking game.
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Tue Aug 19 2014, 18:58

Maybe I'm unusual but I'm not embarrassed by it nor have I avoided telling people or discussing it when appropriate. This includes family and friends, and also work colleagues who have commented favourably on my weight loss. Without fail all have been impressed and supportive of the way I have been proactive in managing the condition, and in making my own assessments independent of NHS advice. Most of my colleagues are scientists and so are amenable to rational discussion and have been genuinely interested. I've discovered that one has a wife who Is also T2 and another's wife is celiac so they understand the diet issues.

We had a weekend recently with three other longstanding friends. I advised the host in advance about my diet and she had no trouble in organising a menu which was suitable for all of us - well with a bit of individual selection anyway.

I don't see it in the same category as showing your operation scars, or discussing other more personal issues, neither of which would I do apart from in exceptional circumstances. In the case of cancer I would be OK with discussing it if (say) a relative or friend had it and wanted to talk. If I ever developed cancer I hope I would also take a proactive view of the condition and feel able to talk about it with chosen others.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 19 2014, 19:25

Silence speaks volumes they say ......

( not sure why I just thought of that )

I think because I did always have to wear that professional hat, others had expectations that illness was not part of my remit ....
    Organisations can be very unsupportive at times ...

Not in all cases of course , depends on the management layers ....

Strange how I have discovered that I can chat away in the land of virtual support .... sunny 
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Tue Aug 19 2014, 20:04

Kat100 wrote:

Strange how I have discovered that I can chat away in the land of virtual support .... sunny 

Not strange at all Kat - we're all largely anonymous and we can get to know other members pretty well without disturbing that.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Tue Aug 19 2014, 20:30

Just wanted to say TeamBG are a great bunch and very supportive of anyone who wants to get involved. No need to be athletic, they will support and advise all !

Post by Guest Tue Aug 19 2014, 21:08

sanguine wrote:
    Kat100 wrote:

Not strange at all Kat - we're all largely anonymous and we can get to know other members pretty well without disturbing that.  

Don't you also think that in the land of virtual support we can choose how much we share/reveal and how much we withhold about ourselves? In "real" life, we are often probed for answers or feel put on the spot, but here we can actually give thoughtful and considered responses. I think that is what makes it such a valuable resource.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Tue Aug 19 2014, 21:15

You can certainly open up more on forums like this. We can hide behind an avatar and become quite friendly with people who, in reality, we're never likely to meet.
    Mud Island Dweller
    Mud Island Dweller

Female Posts : 228

Post by Mud Island Dweller Tue Aug 19 2014, 21:27

Whats team BG l want to know more please
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Tue Aug 19 2014, 21:35

Mud Island Dweller wrote:Whats team BG l want to know more please
    http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Home.html

Post by Guest Tue Aug 19 2014, 22:10

mo1905 wrote:You can certainly open up more on forums like this. We can hide behind an avatar and become quite friendly with people who, in reality, we're never likely to meet.
    Yes you can choose to share...there is some comfort in that ...
    I read on one site ....I don't belong to the site , that they do have meeting up points throughout the country .....I wonder how that feels .
    Me , well I am to busy walking ...to meet up in the real,world ...
    I wonder how diabetic support was given 10 or 20 years ago , goodness I guess people would perhaps have felt very isolated....don't know ...

Scandichic
    Scandichic

Female Posts : 109

Post by Scandichic Wed Aug 20 2014, 11:06

I also had the same lecture although not quite as blunt by my bil and SIL. Guess who's following the LCHF diet now!!!!!! To quote Andy12345 LMAO!!!!!
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Wed Aug 20 2014, 11:26

Scandichic wrote:

I also had the same lecture although not quite as blunt by my bil and SIL. Guess who's following the LCHF diet now!!!!!! To quote Andy12345 LMAO!!!!!

HaHaHa!! What a result eh!! It's amazing how quick some folks change their tune when they see your great results! Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Wed Aug 20 2014, 16:02

I tell people I am a type two diabetic and say it was my diet that was my undoing. I then say I used to eat around seventy percent of my food was sugar. They look completely incredulous and say but how could you eat all that sugar, and then I say well you do. Some laugh and say but I never even put sugar in my coffee. Then I say do you eat pasta, rice, bread, spuds, cakes biscuits etc. Yes is the usual reply, I then give them the goods news, most of course have never equated carbs with sugar. I then tell them to Wiki carbohydrates on their mobile phone, suddenly they go a bit green in the gills. Shocked 

Kind regards Eddie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 13:10