THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Is the Glycemic index dead ?

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Is the Glycemic index dead ? Empty Is the Glycemic index dead ?

Post by graham64 Mon Mar 20 2017, 22:06

I think we already know the answer but more conformation here:

In conclusion – the glycemic index is a completely outdated metric on which to base your diet or your carbohydrate choices. There appears to be no correlation between the GI of a food and an individual’s PPGR; as a result, trying to design a diet around the GI of individual foods is about as useful as trying to programme your training based on the length of your little toe.

An individual’s response to food is likely to be highly individualised. This needs to be recognised and accommodated for when it comes to nutrition recommendations – whether those be for the prevention of diabetes, reducing obesity, or sporting performance.

http://shreddedbyscience.com/glycemic-index-dead/

Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Is the Glycemic index dead ? Empty Re: Is the Glycemic index dead ?

Post by Paul1976 Mon Mar 20 2017, 23:14

graham64 wrote:I think we already know the answer but more conformation here:

In conclusion – the glycemic index is a completely outdated metric on which to base your diet or your carbohydrate choices. There appears to be no correlation between the GI of a food and an individual’s PPGR; as a result, trying to design a diet around the GI of individual foods is about as useful as trying to programme your training based on the length of your little toe.

An individual’s response to food is likely to be highly individualised. This needs to be recognised and accommodated for when it comes to nutrition recommendations – whether those be for the prevention of diabetes, reducing obesity, or sporting performance.

http://shreddedbyscience.com/glycemic-index-dead/

Don't seem to remember many,if any,low GI success stories on the big forum either come to think of it apart from a few of the clique-Safe to say the old tub known as the 'S.S Low GI' has well and truly sunk forever and perhaps that's the reason the Cherub called it a day? Wink
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Mar 21 2017, 07:17

"Is the Glycemic index dead ?" Dead as a Dodo and so is the insulin index. Both dreamed up in an Australian Uni as a profit earner.
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Tue Mar 21 2017, 12:01

Eddie wrote:"Is the Glycemic index dead ?" Dead as a Dodo and so is the insulin index. Both dreamed up in an Australian Uni as a profit earner.

What do you feel about Salim Yusuf's legume recommendation? Legumes have complex carbs as well as protein.
    regards
    Derek
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Mar 21 2017, 23:44

Like everything else, test to see what you can and can't get away with. I'm partial to a small dose of green split peas with bacon but I wouldn't get in a lift with me for a while afterwards (resistant starch). I grow runner beans which work OK and occasionally have red kidney beans in a chilli con carne but I suspect his recommendation is for people with less good protein sources.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Mar 26 2017, 19:15

Derek wrote:
    Eddie wrote:"Is the Glycemic index dead ?" Dead as a Dodo and so is the insulin index. Both dreamed up in an Australian Uni as a profit earner.

What do you feel about Salim Yusuf's legume recommendation? Legumes have complex carbs as well as protein.
    regards
    Derek

Hi Derek

Legumes are a good source of nutrients, not too carby but over my limit. When I went low carb I dumped everything over 10 grams of carb per hundred. At the end of the day it's a case of eat to your meter.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Mar 27 2017, 00:16

Yes that's the big major advantage of diabetes over many other diseases, you can get almost instant feedback from a glucometer, and not only discover your own personal responses to things but how they change over a day, or even longer.

There's a good case for loaning every diabetic a CGM when first diagnosed. Even better would be a pocket insulin meter, then you could track a vital health metric which currently you have to guestimate from glucose, lipids, BP, weight change etc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 05:06