THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Diabetic or at risk of developing diabetes?

alix1994

Diabetic or at risk of developing diabetes? Empty Diabetic or at risk of developing diabetes?

Post by alix1994 Thu Feb 09 2017, 15:35

Do you control your blood sugar due to either; having diabetes or being at risk of developing diabetes?

For my Health Psychology MSc thesis, I am looking for people aged 18 and over who either; have or are at risk of developing diabetes to complete two questionnaires, exploring the relationship between diabetes coping and self-management of blood sugar levels.

Completion will only take a short time and participation would be greatly valued.

Please copy and paste the link below into your browser to begin completing the questionnaires and share this link with any family or friends who may fit the criteria in order to aid research! Smile

This research has received ethical approval.

ljmupsych.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_06t4xeYf5jYo7VX
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Diabetic or at risk of developing diabetes? Empty Re: Diabetic or at risk of developing diabetes?

Post by graham64 Thu Feb 09 2017, 22:32

alix1994 wrote:Do you control your blood sugar due to either; having diabetes or being at risk of developing diabetes?

For my Health Psychology MSc thesis, I am looking for people aged 18 and over who either; have or are at risk of developing diabetes to complete two questionnaires, exploring the relationship between diabetes coping and self-management of blood sugar levels.

Completion will only take a short time and participation would be greatly valued.

Please copy and paste the link below into your browser to begin completing the questionnaires and share this link with any family or friends who may fit the criteria in order to aid research! Smile

This research has received ethical approval.

ljmupsych.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_06t4xeYf5jYo7VX

Hi Alix I will have a look at the weekend with a view to doing the questionnaire, but we do cope well with dealing with our diabetes and self management is what has been our salvation
    chris c
    chris c

Diabetic or at risk of developing diabetes? Empty Re: Diabetic or at risk of developing diabetes?

Post by chris c Thu Feb 09 2017, 22:46

Interesting - but if you're reading, Alix, I decided not to complete it.

Sorry but in the twelve years since I was diagnosed actually with "prediabetes" only a whisker away from a full diagnosis, too much has changed.

Initially I tested a LOT

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/test-test-test.html

I soon deleted the tests which told me nothing (fasting and two hour postprandial) and would test at three or four hours if I'd spiked at one hour, especially if I was active, to check for hypos.

NOW I hardly ever bother because I am confident in my diet. As long as I stick to around 50g carbs/day although sometimes I eat more mainly in the evening (eating out) and sometimes less, I "test" by smelling ketones in my pee. If they are strong first thing in the morning and less strong the rest of the day then I am generating them at around the rate I am metabolising them, and glucose is strictly a secondary fuel and doesn't change much.

Initially I was VERY pissed off because doctors had been ignoring my symptoms for decades and treated me as a nut because friends and colleagues had suggested I was diabetic. But at the same time I was massively relieved to find I was NOT a nut job after all!

If I was still relatively new and hence more consistent I'd be a better subject.

"My" GP recently said "by now we would have expected you to be on two or three diabetes medications" when I am still on NONE. I no longer even bother with a statin, though I still take a minimal dose of amlodipine for BP. A different GP claimed that "in fact" I was not diabetic and had never been prediabetic, because the diagnostic criteria have changed and he couldn't parse the concept of a well controlled diabetic "diabetes is always progressive, it's the nature of the disease" NO! It's the nature of the TREATMENT, telling people who are intolerant of dietary carbohydrate to eat MORE of it and avoid fat, the only nutrient that doesn't require insulin to process.

Currently I am VERY resentful that I was NOT diagnosed when I should have been, and for the suffering and damage this caused, but relieved that I am no longer further damaging myself (except by getting older), and downright PLEASED that I am now eating a much healthier and more nutritious diet, as a result of my own researches, which is the exact opposite of what I was told to eat. So no, I am failing to comply with medical advice, but because the advice is WRONG, and a small but increasing numbers of doctors, nurses and even a few dieticians, and a large number of researchers, would agree with me.

Cheers!

Last edited by chris c on Thu Feb 09 2017, 22:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 01:29