THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
Bluetit
Paul1976
mo1905
Thommothebear
Admin
9 posters

T2 diabetes and waist size

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

T2 diabetes and waist size Empty T2 diabetes and waist size

Post by Admin Thu Aug 14 2014, 16:35

What came first ? The waist or the diabetes ? Does one cause the other ? If so, what way around ?

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/07July/Pages/Warning-over-waistline-link-to-type-2-diabetes.aspx
    Thommothebear
    Thommothebear

Male Posts : 9

T2 diabetes and waist size Empty Re: T2 diabetes and waist size

Post by Thommothebear Fri Aug 15 2014, 12:41

i'm still fairly convinced that while being overweight might well be an indicator for T2, the NHS recommended diet is also a major factor. i was initially told to go onto the NHS diet due to a small increase in cholesterol levels, my weight at the time was OK, I only started having problems once I was following the nice guidelines which was far higher in starchy foods than I had been eating before. Cholesterol kept going up and before long my BG's were starting to cause concert too, plus I was lacking energy and started putting on weight although I was never vastly overweight or obese.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Fri Aug 15 2014, 13:38

I agree, but what are your thoughts on whether obesity is a cause or a sign of diabetes ? I'm still not sure myself. There are arguments that 80% of obese people aren't T2 but is that a guess or fact ? Also, how many of those 80% are actually tested for diabetes ? The figure may be much higher ? Not sure.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Fri Aug 15 2014, 16:31

Too tricky for me to answer but as an anecdote-A few people I have known and who have been slim all their lives,BAM and they gained a load of weight,out of the blue,no change in lifestyle,No rhyme and reason and within a year they've received a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes...soooooo IF I had to pick which came first in a 'Chicken and egg' scenario I would put my money on the metabolic syndrome coming first .
    Bluetit

Post by Bluetit Fri Aug 15 2014, 16:38

All I can say is from my personal experience. I was overweight long before I had Type 2, and I know that for sure because annual blood tests told me I wasn't diabetic. My type 2 started at some point during the year 2013. Between January 2013 and January 2014 I became a type 2 with an HbA1c of 53 (7%). I was overweight, just below the BMI cut off point of obese, for a few years previous to this. So no, my diabetes did not make me obese/overweight. What did give me diabetes, I believe, was eating a lot more sweet stuff during 2013 (never had a sweet tooth before) due to other issues.
    Xyz

Female Posts : 66

Post by Xyz Fri Aug 15 2014, 17:20

Last edited by Xyz on Fri Jan 23 2015, 21:14; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : No longer want a presence on the forum)
    Loobles
    Loobles

Post by Loobles Fri Aug 15 2014, 19:41

I've always had a larger waist size even as a young child, I've just become more apple-y over the years Smile
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Fri Aug 15 2014, 21:55

Admin wrote:What came first ? The waist or the diabetes ? Does one cause the other ? If so, what way around ?

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/07July/Pages/Warning-over-waistline-link-to-type-2-diabetes.aspx

Definitely not the waist with me Mo, on diagnosis I was a size 32 waist, having had no symptoms if it had not been for a routine blood test I could have gone for years undiagnosed.

I put it down to a traumatic experience I had a year before diagnosis which left me depressed and ending up on anti-depressants, I have found there is a tentative link to the drugs I was on and diabetes.

Graham
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Sat Aug 16 2014, 07:46

I definitely think the thicker waist line was a dead giveaway of metabolic syndrome for me and it got decidedly worse after menopause. What pushed me over the edge for all 3 times I got diagnosed (2x prediabetes and 1x Type 2) was quitting smoking and putting on 30+ lbs. Only the last time losing the weight didn't restore my insulin response. I think I'd used up all my chances by then. I kick myself now for not being proactive the first two times, but hindsight is a marvellous thing.

An old friend used to refer to middle-aged spread as "thick like an old dog" - think it describes it perfectly!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 16:23