THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Are Computers Sapping Your Brain?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Are Computers Sapping Your Brain? Empty Are Computers Sapping Your Brain?

Post by Jan1 Sat Jul 02 2016, 13:08

Dr Steve Parker on his blog 'Diabetic Mediterranean Diet' recently wrote:

"I saw a patient at the hospital a couple years ago who had been brought in by ambulance after suffering some trauma (not to his brain). He couldn’t call any friends or relatives to let them know what was going on because he didn’t have his cellphone. His phone had all his contact numbers so he had no reason to memorize any. Would you be in the same boat?

Daily Mail has an interesting article on whether our use of technology is making us dumber. If we turn over mental tasks like navigation and math to computers, do our brains waste away? Is this how the robots take over? Will we be seeing more and earlier cases of age-related dementia? E-mentia?

This is worth keeping an eye on.

Steve Parker, M.D.

PS: The five other members of my household all have cellphones. The only number I’ve memorized is my wife’s"

This is the link for Dr Steve Parker's post, which also contains other relevant links, you may be interested to read:
    https://diabeticmediterraneandiet.com/2016/07/01/are-computers-sapping-your-brain/

... we do rely on our phones and computers for so much don't we.
    Years ago we may have had all important contact details memorised, but how many of us do just scroll down our phone and hit the button without bothering to memorise a number?

Come on own up ...  sunny

All the best Jan
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Are Computers Sapping Your Brain? Empty Re: Are Computers Sapping Your Brain?

Post by Andy12345 Sat Jul 02 2016, 14:53

Hi Jan Smile

When I used to use the fax machine all the time, I knew maybe 30 different numbers by heart, now it's all email no need to retain that stuff, but then there's candy crush etc, that has got to be equally challenging?
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Jul 02 2016, 15:01

Before computers, and the discovery of diabetes forums, I was a reasonably well adjusted individual, now look at me.

Are Computers Sapping Your Brain? Stick-figure-typing-at-computer-o
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Jul 03 2016, 12:06

Andy12345 wrote:Hi Jan Smile

When I used to use the fax machine all the time, I knew maybe 30 different numbers by heart, now it's all email no need to retain that stuff, but then there's candy crush etc, that has got to be equally challenging?

Yes, telephone numbers ... addresses ... instead of storing them in a good old fashioned address book, you can now keep them on your phone, computer, or email etc.

The children and grand-children use their phones for some computer games.
    I must say they are not my thing! But I do try if the grand-children like me to ...

Gone are the days of simplicity with phones or computers - progress?

I do often think we can rely too much on technology, but it is here !!!

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Jul 04 2016, 22:21

I remember a weird one. I kept all my phone numbers on a cardfile at work but had most of my regular suppliers memorised.

One day when I was home I decided to ring the MD of one of my suppliers for a chat about something. Could I remember his number? Could I hell! Of course when I was back in the office, no problem, I remembered it without having to look it up.

I've still not gotten round to programming the satnav in my car, I prefer paper maps.

Of course the other thing is when you have all your photos on the computer and the disk fails. BACKUPS!!!
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Mon Jul 04 2016, 22:46

chris c wrote:I remember a weird one. I kept all my phone numbers on a cardfile at work but had most of my regular suppliers memorised.

One day when I was home I decided to ring the MD of one of my suppliers for a chat about something. Could I remember his number? Could I hell! Of course when I was back in the office, no problem, I remembered it without having to look it up.

I've still not gotten round to programming the satnav in my car, I prefer paper maps.

Of course the other thing is when you have all your photos on the computer and the disk fails. BACKUPS!!!

Yep not only do I backup my photos to an external hard drive but also to a DVD
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Jul 06 2016, 12:11

chris c wrote:I remember a weird one. I kept all my phone numbers on a cardfile at work but had most of my regular suppliers memorised.

I'm sure there is some scientific term ... but we do seem to relate places with remembering certain things, so I can relate to remembering numbers from the office, or family numbers from the living room!

Satnav's can be brilliant, but I think every car should have a map ... you never know when the route the satnav takes you is blocked and you may need to look up at alternative.
    With all the computer technology - will the younger generation be able to read maps?

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Jul 07 2016, 20:28

Some of the Welsh Valleys had railway lines with low bridges and only one way in and out for a truck. I wished for a map with bridge heights. Dunno if they are marked on satnavs?

Mind you some of the older generation (my mother) were useless with maps too . . .
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jul 08 2016, 11:35

chris c wrote:Some of the Welsh Valleys had railway lines with low bridges and only one way in and out for a truck. I wished for a map with bridge heights. Dunno if they are marked on satnavs?

Mind you some of the older generation (my mother) were useless with maps too . . .

I'm not sure if bridge heights are marked on satnavs? Does anyone else know?

It's not only the older generation who may not be good at reading maps ... going back a few years I was not the best  affraid but did my best  Smile

I still think it a good idea to keep a map book in your car, The AA and similar do produce some good ones don't they.

(Happy Driving ...)

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Jul 09 2016, 21:21

I used to buy a new atlas every few years when the old one fell apart, and more bypasses had been built. Here I carry a bunch of Ordnance Survey maps. It never fails to amaze me how often where I want to go is on the join between two sheets.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13 2024, 01:07