THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.


Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

    Cauliflowers!

    Eddie
    Eddie
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3807
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 70
    Location : London

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Eddie on Tue Oct 07 2014, 17:41

    Fair enough, I will flagellate myself with a knotted boot lace at dawn, why do I bother. lol!


    _________________
    Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 258
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Location : Glasgow

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Avocado Sevenfold on Tue Oct 07 2014, 17:47

    eddie1 wrote:Fair enough, I will flagellate myself with a knotted boot lace at dawn, why do I bother. lol!  

    LOL well I learned something today. Good old Tesco.com. I get a lot of my info from there. Still wondering why Diet Doc ignores legumes on his lists. I have them on my "ok but don't wolf them all at once" list.
    Eddie
    Eddie
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3807
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 70
    Location : London

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Eddie on Tue Oct 07 2014, 17:53

    @Avocado Sevenfold wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:Fair enough, I will flagellate myself with a knotted boot lace at dawn, why do I bother. lol!  

    LOL well I learned something today.  Good old Tesco.com. I get a lot of my info from there.  Still wondering why Diet Doc ignores legumes on his lists. I have them on my "ok but don't wolf them all at once" list.

    I keep well away from them, not for any particular negative reason, I did not eat much in that area before going low carb high fat. If I could afford it I would live on fresh fish and vegetables, chuck in an occasional fillet steak and that's me sorted. I was never a fussy eater and would always go for the cheese board rather than the sweet trolley. Low carb has been a doddle for me.

    Regards Eddie


    _________________
    Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    Indy51
    Indy51
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 344
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Location : Perth, Western Australia

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Indy51 on Tue Oct 07 2014, 22:54

    Maybe the diet doc was influenced by the Paleo diet tenets - legumes are generally not recommended due to their lectin content. But the latter day Paleo-lites like Chris Kresser aren't so condemnatory. I think for diabetics all you can do is go by your meter.

    I haven't had legumes in a couple of years and can't say I miss them at all - but I'm not a vegetarian so finding good protein sources isn't a big issue for me.
    Jan1
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 5091
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Jan1 on Thu Oct 16 2014, 16:49

    Cauliflower Crust Pizza

     Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Pizza-with-cauliflower-cr-008

    Saw this recipe using Cauliflower as the pizza base and thought YES definitely one to share.

    "The aim with a root vegetable crust is to make something crispy that can be eaten by hand, without it falling apart. Many recipes use lots of eggs, but this one opts for cauliflower and goat's cream cheese. It works well with a slightly different, less cheesy topping.

    Makes 4 small pizzas or 1 large one

    For the crusts
    1 medium-size cauliflower, grated
    100g goat's cream cheese
    1 egg
    Salt and black pepper

    For the tomato sauce
    Olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    3-4 garlic cloves, minced
    400g can of chopped tomatoes
    A handful of fresh basil, chopped
    A pinch of dried chilli flakes
    Salt and black pepper

    1 Preheat oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking parchment.

    2 To make the crust, add the cauliflower to a pot of boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain, then wrap in a tea towel and squeeze out any excess water.

    3 In a bowl, mix the grated cauliflower with the cream cheese and egg, and season.

    4 Divide the cauliflower mix into four portions and, using your hands, shape the crusts on the sheet. They should be about 1-1½cm thick. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until firm and golden.

    5 While the crusts are baking, heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes. Add the garlic and stir briefly, then add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.

    6 When the crusts are done, add a spoonful of tomato sauce to each and spread evenly. Add your choice of toppings as desired, plus grated cheese.

    7 Bake the pizzas for about 10 minutes at 220C/450F/gas mark 8, until the cheese is golden."

    (Recipe idea from here www.atastylovestory.com)

    Hope you enjoy this recipe

    All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 5091
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Jan1 on Tue Jan 06 2015, 11:03

    Cauliflower Hash

    Prep Time: 8 minutes
    Cook Time: 12 minutes
    Yield: 2 servings

    Ingredients
    ◦2 tablespoons olive oil
    ◦3/4 lb (350 g) cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
    ◦1 medium onion, diced
    ◦1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
    ◦1/4 teaspoon salt
    ◦1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    ◦3 tablespoons water
    ◦1 large clove garlic, minced
    ◦2 teaspoons lemon juice
    ◦2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley leaves (for garnish)
    ◦Fried eggs, for serving (optional)

    Instructions
    1.Heat the oil in a large skillet/pan over medium-high heat; add the cauliflower and onion in an even layer and let it cook without stirring until it takes on a little color on the bottom, about 2 to 3 minutes.
    2.Give it a stir, then add the smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, and water. Cover the skillet/pan and cook until the cauliflower is fork-tender but not mushy, and has taken on a golden color, about 3 to 5 minutes.
    3.Turn the heat down to low, add the garlic, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
    4.Stir in the lemon juice and cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds.
    5.Serve with the parsley sprinkled on top, and add a fried egg if you like.

    Saw this great recipe at Gwen's 'The Sunny Coconut' Blog and thought it a great one to share. Quick, easy and tasty !

    Gwen is also a member here but thought she wouldn't mind if I copied it ........ she runs a very busy blog  sunny

    The link to original recipe is here http://thesunnycoconut.com/

    Hope you enjoy the recipe, you may cook something similar already.
    Do please let us know if you try it out.

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Sharon
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 102
    Join date : 2014-09-30

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Sharon on Tue Jan 06 2015, 17:11

    good recipe to try . could put some cabbage leaves in it to .
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 258
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Location : Glasgow

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Avocado Sevenfold on Sun Jan 25 2015, 15:20

    Here is another tried and tested cauliflower recipe to add to the collection.  I used a mini doughnut pan (about 5cm diameter), swapped to Quorn pepperoni and baked for 18 minutes.

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 20jpqhs


    Pizza Bagels
    Serves 6

    Ingredients
    2 eggs
    1 cup Mozzarella
    1 cup Cauliflower riced
    25-30 slices pepperoni cut into quarters
    1/2 tsp fennel seed
    3/4-1 tsp Garlic powder (depending on preference)
    1/2 tsp Crushed red pepper
    1 large slice tomato diced

    Instructions
    Combine all your ingredients and mix well.
    Spoon mixture into donut pan.
    Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

    http://uplateanyway.com/keto/pizza-bagels-low-carb-gluten-free/
    Paul1976
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2439
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 43
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Paul1976 on Sun Jan 25 2015, 15:24

    @Avocado Sevenfold wrote:Here is another tried and tested cauliflower recipe to add to the collection.  I used a mini doughnut pan (about 5cm diameter), swapped to Quorn pepperoni and baked for 18 minutes.

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 20jpqhs


    Pizza Bagels
    Serves 6

    Ingredients
    2 eggs
    1 cup Mozzarella
    1 cup Cauliflower riced
    25-30 slices pepperoni cut into quarters
    1/2 tsp fennel seed
    3/4-1 tsp Garlic powder (depending on preference)
    1/2 tsp Crushed red pepper
    1 large slice tomato diced

    Instructions
    Combine all your ingredients and mix well.
    Spoon mixture into donut pan.
    Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

    http://uplateanyway.com/keto/pizza-bagels-low-carb-gluten-free/


    Nice one!! Smile They look dead good for buffet's etc thumb-up


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 258
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Location : Glasgow

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Avocado Sevenfold on Sun Jan 25 2015, 15:26

    Paul wrote:
    @Avocado Sevenfold wrote:Here is another tried and tested cauliflower recipe to add to the collection.  I used a mini doughnut pan (about 5cm diameter), swapped to Quorn pepperoni and baked for 18 minutes.

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 20jpqhs


    Pizza Bagels
    Serves 6

    Ingredients
    2 eggs
    1 cup Mozzarella
    1 cup Cauliflower riced
    25-30 slices pepperoni cut into quarters
    1/2 tsp fennel seed
    3/4-1 tsp Garlic powder (depending on preference)
    1/2 tsp Crushed red pepper
    1 large slice tomato diced

    Instructions
    Combine all your ingredients and mix well.
    Spoon mixture into donut pan.
    Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

    http://uplateanyway.com/keto/pizza-bagels-low-carb-gluten-free/


    Nice one!! Smile They look dead good for buffet's etc thumb-up

    I know! I think next time I might make them with a tomatoey dip to make them even more like pizza.
    Jan1
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 5091
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Jan1 on Sun Jan 25 2015, 15:35

    @Avocado Sevenfold

    They look great - will it be ok if we put the picture and recipe idea up on the low carb blog tomorrow, will give the link as you've done ?

    It's definitely a great menu to share.  flower

    All the best Jan


    Last edited by Jan1 on Sun Jan 25 2015, 15:38; edited 2 times in total
    Andy12345
    Andy12345
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 1646
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Age : 49
    Location : Surrey

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Andy12345 on Sun Jan 25 2015, 15:36

    Oh they look sooooo good!
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 258
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Location : Glasgow

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Avocado Sevenfold on Sun Jan 25 2015, 15:45

    @Jan1 wrote:@Avocado Sevenfold

    They look great - will it be ok if we put the picture and recipe idea up on the low carb blog tomorrow, will give the link as you've done ?

    It's definitely a great menu to share.  flower

    All the best Jan

    Yes, please share it. Sorry it's not a better photo, but I was desperate to gobble them up!
    Jan1
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 5091
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Jan1 on Sun Jan 25 2015, 15:48

    @Avocado Sevenfold wrote:
    @Jan1 wrote:@Avocado Sevenfold

    They look great - will it be ok if we put the picture and recipe idea up on the low carb blog tomorrow, will give the link as you've done ?

    It's definitely a great menu to share.  flower

    All the best Jan

    Yes, please share it.  Sorry it's not a better photo, but I was desperate to gobble them up!

    That's great thanks - I would have gobbled them up too sunny

    All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 5091
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Jan1 on Sun Feb 08 2015, 18:44

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Cauliflower-stirfry

    Easy Roasted Cauliflower Stir Fry With Pork

    Have you been to Beijing recently? If you have, you may well have had this lovely dish, or something quite similar. But if like me you haven't, not to worry, you can try it at home. The slightly crispy, saucy, spicy cauliflower and pork are so good together - I hope you enjoy it.

    Ingredients (Serves 4)

    For the pork and marinade:
    ½ cup sliced lean pork
    2 teaspoons shaoxing wine or dry sherry
    ½ teaspoon sesame oil
    1 teaspoon soy sauce
    1 teaspoon cornstarch

    For the rest of the dish:

    One medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
    oil
    Salt and pepper
    6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
    6 dried red chilies, halved
    6 slices ginger
    2 scallions/spring onions cut into large pieces
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    2 tablespoons shaoxing wine or dry sherry
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 teaspoon dark soy sauce


    Method

    Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine the pork with the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread out the cauliflower in a single layer and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast until crisp and golden, about 20 minutes. Stir the cauliflower halfway through baking.

    Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in your wok over medium heat. Add the garlic, chilies, and ginger, and cook for about 2 minutes, making sure they don’t burn. Turn up the heat to high, add the pork, and cook until browned.

    Stir in the cauliflower (keep the heat on high), and cook for a minute. Add the scallion, sesame oil, wine, and the soy sauces. Season with additional salt if needed. Cover the lid and bring everything to a simmer. Uncover, give everything another stir, and serve.

    Some will serve it over rice, but as most who read recipe's here are living the LCHF lifestyle perhaps a small serving of cauliflower rice or some fine green beans would be nice?

    As always if you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugar numbers test is best i.e. check/use your meter.

    The original recipe idea and a step by step guide can be found here it's really useful. http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/05/easy-roasted-cauliflower-stir-fry/

    All the best Jan.
    Jan1
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 5091
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Jan1 on Tue Feb 24 2015, 17:41

    Well why can't we enjoy a nice salad in the winter months - here is a good recipe idea, it's Warm Cauliflower and Radicchio.

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Winter%2Bsalad%2Bcauliflower

    Salads are available all year round, you only have to look in your local supermarket. They do not have to be enjoyed just in the more warmer summer months. How about a nice winter salad.

    Salads are so tasty, so healthy, so why not give this recipe a try.

    Warm Cauliflower and Radicchio Salad

    Preparation time: 10 minutes
    Cooking time: 30 minutes

    Ingredients:
    Serves 65
    1 head of cauliflower
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp maple syrup
    Salt and black pepper

    For the dressing
    1 tbsp white wine vinegar
    1 shallot, finely chopped
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1 head radicchio, shredded
    50g hazelnuts, toasted and crushed
    A small bunch of watercress
    Parmesan slivers

    Method:

    1 Set the oven to 170C/335F/gas mark 3½. Break the cauliflower head into small florets. Toss in olive oil and maple syrup. Season well. Roast for about 30 minutes until browned and tender. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
    2 Whisk the vinegar, shallot and oil together to make the dressing. In a large bowl toss the cauliflower florets, radicchio and hazelnuts in the dressing. Season well.
    3 Transfer to a serving dish and gently fold through the watercress. Top with slivers of parmesan.

    Original recipe and article here http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/16/winter-salad-ideas-what-to-cook-with-a-vegetable-box-henry-dimbleby-back-to-basics

    All the best Jan
    Eddie
    Eddie
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3807
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 70
    Location : London

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Eddie on Wed Apr 22 2015, 17:26

    The fastest way to make "rice" cauliflower. This really is a great substitute for the high carb real rice. Well worth a try. If you haven't got a food processor you can use a cheese grater.



    _________________
    Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    Jan1
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 5091
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Jan1 on Sat May 02 2015, 18:59

    I was reminded of this recipe idea today.

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Cheesy-Cauliflower-Puffs-3

    Cheesy Cauliflower Puffs

    Mashed potatoes aren’t the only game in town! I recently spied a recipe for cheesy mashed potato puffs and wondered if I could modify it for mashed cauliflower. Since cauliflower contains more liquid, I knew that I’d need to add something to give them a little more structure. Beaten egg whites did the trick. They do shrink some as they cool, but they make a delicious low carb side dish for any meal.

    Ingredients:
    1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets

    3 cloves garlic

    1/3 cup sour cream

    4 ounces cheddar, grated

    1 tbsp dried parsley

    3/4 tsp salt

    1/4 tsp pepper

    2 large eggs

    2 egg whites

    Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 400F and grease a non-stick muffin tin well.

    Set a steam basket into a large pot and fill the bottom with an inch or two of water. Add cauliflower and garlic to pot and set over medium heat. Steam 7 to 10 minutes, or until quite tender.

    Drain well and transfer to a food processor (including garlic cloves).

    Puree until smooth and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in sour cream, cheddar, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in eggs until well-combined.

    In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until quite stiff but not dry. Gently fold egg whites into cauliflower mixture until just combined.

    Divide evenly between prepared muffin cups and bake 18 to 22 minutes, until puffed and set and golden brown.

    Remove from oven and serve immediately.

    Serves 12

    Nutrition Info: Each cauliflower puff has 70 Calories; 5g Fat (67.7% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 48mg Cholesterol; 219mg Sodium.

    Original Recipe Here

    http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2014/03/cheesy-cauliflower-puffs-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html

    Looks good to me  Smile

    All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 5091
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Jan1 on Wed May 06 2015, 13:10

    Another great cauliflower recipe idea

    Cauliflower Mac and Cheese  :  Low Carb and Gluten Free


    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcf.alldayidreamaboutfood.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F04%2FMascarpone-Cauliflower-Mac-N-Cheese

    If you are looking for a great low carb alternative to the classic macaroni and cheese recipe then why not give this a try ...

    "This low-carb, gluten-free recipe swaps out pasta for cauliflower florets. Combined with mascarpone cheese, asparagus and zesty lemon, it's a dreamy spring dish.

    Ingredients:
    Serves 6

    1/2 pound asparagus, washed and trimmed
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Salt and black pepper to taste
    1 medium head-cauliflower, cut into florets
    8 ounces mascarpone cheese
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons lemon zest
    2 tablespoons heavy/double cream
    1 tablespoon arrowroot starch, or cornstarch

    Directions:

    1.Heat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread asparagus out in single layer; drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast 10 minutes, until tender and bright green. Remove and cut each stalk into thirds. Reduce oven heat to 350°F.

    2. Place cauliflower in large saucepan and add 1 inch water to bottom of pan. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower can be pierced easily with fork but isn't mushy, about 5 to 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly using colander.

    3. Return empty pan to low heat and add mascarpone, lemon juice and lemon zest, stirring until melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper). In small bowl, combine cream and arrowroot or cornstarch, whisking to combine. Stir into mascarpone mixture and whisk over low heat until thickened, about 1 minute.

    4. Add cauliflower and asparagus to pan and toss to combine. Spread mixture into medium casserole dish and bake 10 to 15 minutes, until bubbling and lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving."

    Thanks to Carolyn for sharing a great recipe idea:

    http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2015/04/low-carb-lemony-mascarpone-cauliflower-mac-n-cheese.html

    All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2305
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Cambs

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by mo1905 on Wed May 06 2015, 14:21

    Not a great fan of cauliflower Jan but that sure does look tasty !


    _________________
    Type1, Humalog and Solostar, Metformin, Lisinopril ( BP ), last HbA1C 41 ( 5.9% ), 20th Oct 2014, HbA1C 43 ( 6.1% ) 9th Mar 2015.
    Jan1
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 5091
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Jan1 on Mon Aug 03 2015, 14:06

    Cauliflower Fried Rice

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Compressed_Sainsbury_s_CauliflowerStirFriedRice_2292_593x426

    Try this for a delicious twist on a takeaway favourite.

    Ingredients:
    Serves Four
    1 head of cauliflower (600g)
    3 tbsp cashew nuts
    1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
    1 red pepper, sliced
    100 g baby corn, halved lengthways
    1 tsp five-spice
    100 g petit pois, defrosted
    3 spring onions, finely sliced
    2 tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
    1 tsp dark soy sauce

    Method:
    1. Chop the cauliflower into quarters, then in a food processor process the cauliflower until the consistency appears similar to rice and set aside.
    2. In a small pan dry-fry the cashews for a minute until toasted and set aside.
    3. In a wok, heat the sesame oil until hot, then fry the pepper and baby corn for a couple of minutes until softened and slightly charred. Then add the five-spice and fry for one more minute before adding the cauliflower. Cook for 5 minutes until just tender. Then add the petit pois and cashews, spring onions and soy sauce, toss together and serve.

    This dish works out at 12.2g carbohydrate per serving

    Recipe idea can be seen here https://www.homemadebyyou.co.uk/recipes/main-courses/cauliflower-fried-rice#

    You may wish to serve this with a chicken or beef dish ... the choice is yours.

    All the best Jan

    flower
    Jan1
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 5091
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Jan1 on Sat Sep 05 2015, 12:45

    @Jan1 wrote:Cauliflower Crust Pizza

     Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Pizza-with-cauliflower-cr-008

    Saw this recipe using Cauliflower as the pizza base and thought YES definitely one to share.

    "The aim with a root vegetable crust is to make something crispy that can be eaten by hand, without it falling apart. Many recipes use lots of eggs, but this one opts for cauliflower and goat's cream cheese. It works well with a slightly different, less cheesy topping.

    Makes 4 small pizzas or 1 large one

    For the crusts
    1 medium-size cauliflower, grated
    100g goat's cream cheese
    1 egg
    Salt and black pepper

    For the tomato sauce
    Olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    3-4 garlic cloves, minced
    400g can of chopped tomatoes
    A handful of fresh basil, chopped
    A pinch of dried chilli flakes
    Salt and black pepper

    1 Preheat oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking parchment.

    2 To make the crust, add the cauliflower to a pot of boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain, then wrap in a tea towel and squeeze out any excess water.

    3 In a bowl, mix the grated cauliflower with the cream cheese and egg, and season.

    4 Divide the cauliflower mix into four portions and, using your hands, shape the crusts on the sheet. They should be about 1-1½cm thick. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until firm and golden.

    5 While the crusts are baking, heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes. Add the garlic and stir briefly, then add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.

    6 When the crusts are done, add a spoonful of tomato sauce to each and spread evenly. Add your choice of toppings as desired, plus grated cheese.

    7 Bake the pizzas for about 10 minutes at 220C/450F/gas mark 8, until the cheese is golden."

    (Recipe idea from here www.atastylovestory.com)

    Hope you enjoy this recipe

    All the best Jan

    @Zand ... replying to your comment yesterday (it was on a different thread!) but yes a deal is a deal, and September may be just the month to try a cauliflower pizza crust base.

    Of course the video here is good too https://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t1423-tin-noakes-cauliflower-pizza

    All the best Jan
    zand
    zand
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 1940
    Join date : 2014-08-14

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by zand on Sat Sep 05 2015, 12:57

    Thanks. I'll do this... I really will.....I reckon I can even manage to eat that amount of egg too! I'll let you know, but I won't be making one until at least the 2nd half of September and don't expect a photo! Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 5091
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Jan1 on Sat Sep 05 2015, 13:01

    @zand wrote:Thanks.  I'll do this... I really will.....I reckon I can even manage to eat that amount of egg too! I'll let you know, but I won't be making one until at least the 2nd half of September and don't expect a photo!  Smile

    I'm not nagging you honest ! LOL !

    That's cool ....

    Hope your Saturday is going well.

    Our grandson adores pizza and when his mum makes them (the low carb way) he loves putting his own toppings on, perhaps we'll have to get him a little chef's outfit ?

    All the best Jan

    flower
    zand
    zand
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 1940
    Join date : 2014-08-14

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by zand on Sat Sep 05 2015, 13:04

    lol I know you're not nagging Smile but a 'gentle reminder' around the 24th September might be useful. Wink

    Sponsored content

    Cauliflowers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Jan 18 2020, 18:04