THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+11
Andy12345
Sharon
Indy51
mo1905
Paul1976
EvenMoreHeathen
Eddie
RANDBURG
cold ethyl
AliB
Avocado Sevenfold
15 posters

Cauliflowers!

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Cauliflowers! - Page 2 Empty Re: Cauliflowers!

Post by Jan1 Mon Sep 22 2014, 21:02

Thank you - this does look a very nice recipe and I've copied it for speed of reference but the original link is below.

This is why the web is such a great place for sharing and exchanging great tasting recipes  Smile  

"Coconut Lime Cauliflower Rice

Yield: 2 cups

Serving Size: 1 cup

A flavorful low carb and keto friendly rice substitute made with chopped cauliflower.

Ingredients

2 cups chopped cauliflower
    3 Tbsp coconut milk powder
    2 Tbsp coconut oil
    2 Tbsp water
    1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
    1 tsp fresh lime zest

Instructions

Combine the chopped cauliflower, coconut milk powder, coconut oil, and water in a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for 7 minutes. Stir and test the consistency – if too hard cook it for another minute or two. Stir in the cilantro and lime zest before serving.

Notes

Approximate nutrition info per serving: 214 calories, 18g fat, 4g net carbs, 3g protein"

Read more at this link:

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/04/coconut-lime-cauliflower-rice-recipe-low-carb-gluten-free.html
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Mon Sep 22 2014, 21:57

Thanks Jan. I find it tricky to cut and paste on the iPad. I am all thumbs.
    RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Male Posts : 161

Post by RANDBURG Tue Sep 23 2014, 07:19

Jan1 wrote:
    RANDBURG wrote:Im trying Cauliflower rice, but with Fennel, mixed in with it,
    Hope I get the Fennel flavour to mix in ?
    Let you Know Cool

That sounds a good idea ....we await to hear about the result, thanks. sunny

All the best Jan

Was not to bad. I only added a small Fennel bulb, and the cauliflower still took over.
    Next time ill try more fennel. Possibly a 50/50 mix
    Another option I've thought about is Celery ?
    All the Beat
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Tue Sep 23 2014, 07:41

I fancy trying that. Maybe some ground fennel seeds would help the flavour?
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 23 2014, 13:35

Many thanks for letting us know how the cauliflower and fennel mix went. As with any cooking it is a bit of trial and error to get the flavour balance - but it's always worth giving things a try.

I like celery either braised or eaten as crisp celery sticks ....which reminds me haven't cooked braised celery for a time might just have to do that soon sunny

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Tue Sep 23 2014, 13:55

Jan1 wrote:Many thanks for letting us know how the cauliflower and fennel mix went. As with any cooking it is a bit of trial and error to get the flavour balance - but it's always worth giving things a try.

I like celery either braised or eaten as crisp celery sticks ....which reminds me haven't cooked braised celery for a time might just have to do that soon sunny

All the best Jan

I always like to add celery to a casserole and I always keep and use the leaves for salad as I find the leaves have more flavour than the stalk. Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Sep 26 2014, 18:23

Just a thought .......

there are many lovely recipes for cauliflowers, but tonight I'm simply steaming a mix of cauliflower and broccoli florets. How good tasting is that?

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Oct 06 2014, 17:40

Roasted Cauliflower with chickpeas, garlic yoghurt and anchovies recipe

Cauliflowers! - Page 2 Saladcauliflower_3061429b

I saw this recipe by Stevie Parle in 'The Telegraph' and thought it looked lovely and good for sharing. The only thing is how do chick peas affect your blood sugars, I'm not sure of the carb content of them. So if you are diabetic as with any food if you're not sure of blood sugar numbers test is best.

SERVES 4-6

INGREDIENTS
    1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets, then into 1cm-wide slices
    1 tbsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
    5 tbsp olive oil
    1½ garlic cloves, 1 finely chopped, ½ crushed with a little salt
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    ½ tsp smoked paprika
    1 x 400g/14oz tin chickpeas, drained
    Juice of 1 lemon
    6 tbsp Greek yogurt
    100g/3 ½oz rocket
    6 anchovy fillets
    A handful of parsley, roughly chopped

METHOD
    Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Place the cauliflower slices, coriander seeds and two tablespoons of the oil in a roasting tin and season well. Toss with your hands, then spread out in an even layer and place in the oven for 30-35 minutes until crisp and golden.
     Meanwhile, add two tablespoons of oil to a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for a few moments until it begins to feel sticky, then add the cumin and paprika, and the chickpeas a few moments later. Season and stir well so the chickpeas are coated in oil. Half fill the pan with water and leave to gently boil away for 15 minutes until they have softened slightly. Take off the heat and squeeze in half the lemon.
    Mix the yogurt and the half garlic clove and season. Scatter the rocket over a large plate and top with the roasted cauliflower. Squeeze over the remaining half of lemon and remaining tablespoon of oil. Spoon over the chickpeas and dollop over the yogurt.
    Drape over the anchovies, sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.

Yum Yum Smile

All the best Jan

Edit : I managed to find the carb content of canned chick peas, according to 'the collins gem calorie counter guide' it's 16.1 per 100g
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Tue Oct 07 2014, 12:00

Hi Jan

Interesting you should mention chickpeas as I am having them tonight (with cauli of course!)

I love chickpeas, beans and lentils.  I realise they are quite high in carbs, but I can eat them in moderation without bothering my bg too much.  Being a vegetarian, this is a great relief as they are great for protein.

My diet is based on the Diet Doctor's LCHF, but I don't know where he stands on beans etc.  They dont appear on his lists as neither good nor bad.  Any ideas?  I am guessing it is just best to test individually, but I think it is odd that the dishy Swedish doctor doesn't mention them at all.  Maybe I have missed something.

Last edited by Avocado Sevenfold on Tue Oct 07 2014, 12:01; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Tue Oct 07 2014, 12:09

USDA shows the carb content as 61g per 100g which is fairly high but as Jan says, if unsure, test. Some will tolerate fine whilst others may have to limit portion size or skip altogether.
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Tue Oct 07 2014, 12:42

mo1905 wrote:USDA shows the carb content as 61g per 100g which is fairly high but as Jan says, if unsure, test. Some will tolerate fine whilst others may have to limit portion size or skip altogether.

I that a typo, Mo? affraid Tesco online states my tin as 16.1g per 100g drained.
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Tue Oct 07 2014, 13:02

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:
    mo1905 wrote:USDA shows the carb content as 61g per 100g which is fairly high but as Jan says, if unsure, test. Some will tolerate fine whilst others may have to limit portion size or skip altogether.

I that a typo, Mo?  affraid   Tesco online states my tin as 16.1g per 100g drained.

I see now that the 61g is for dried, 16g for canned.

I still think it is odd that Diet Doctor doesn't mention legumes, but heyho.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Tue Oct 07 2014, 14:10

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:

I that a typo, Mo?  affraid   Tesco online states my tin as 16.1g per 100g drained.

Does seem a lot but that's what Google brought up ! I haven't checked anywhere else to be fair.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Oct 07 2014, 16:46

The reason the carb content looks high in the US numbers is because they include the fibre. We cannot digest fibre so it does not count. The UK and I believe European numbers are less the fibre content and therefore the carb content is much lower.
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Tue Oct 07 2014, 17:32

I think Mo was right with 61g for dried chickpeas. Jan and I are also right with 16g for tinned. All net.

When they are tinned, they are hydrated so for 100g you get a lesser amount of chickpeas as they are plumped up with water.

I have never bought dried as they have to be soaked overnight then boiled for ages. Life's too short and I'm too lazy Very Happy
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Oct 07 2014, 17:41

Fair enough, I will flagellate myself with a knotted boot lace at dawn, why do I bother. lol!
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Tue Oct 07 2014, 17:47

eddie1 wrote:Fair enough, I will flagellate myself with a knotted boot lace at dawn, why do I bother. lol!  

LOL well I learned something today. Good old Tesco.com. I get a lot of my info from there. Still wondering why Diet Doc ignores legumes on his lists. I have them on my "ok but don't wolf them all at once" list.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Oct 07 2014, 17:53

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:Fair enough, I will flagellate myself with a knotted boot lace at dawn, why do I bother. lol!  

LOL well I learned something today.  Good old Tesco.com. I get a lot of my info from there.  Still wondering why Diet Doc ignores legumes on his lists. I have them on my "ok but don't wolf them all at once" list.

I keep well away from them, not for any particular negative reason, I did not eat much in that area before going low carb high fat. If I could afford it I would live on fresh fish and vegetables, chuck in an occasional fillet steak and that's me sorted. I was never a fussy eater and would always go for the cheese board rather than the sweet trolley. Low carb has been a doddle for me.

Regards Eddie
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Tue Oct 07 2014, 22:54

Maybe the diet doc was influenced by the Paleo diet tenets - legumes are generally not recommended due to their lectin content. But the latter day Paleo-lites like Chris Kresser aren't so condemnatory. I think for diabetics all you can do is go by your meter.

I haven't had legumes in a couple of years and can't say I miss them at all - but I'm not a vegetarian so finding good protein sources isn't a big issue for me.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Oct 16 2014, 16:49

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Cauliflowers! - Page 2 Pizza-with-cauliflower-cr-008

Saw this recipe using Cauliflower as the pizza base and thought YES definitely one to share.

"The aim with a root vegetable crust is to make something crispy that can be eaten by hand, without it falling apart. Many recipes use lots of eggs, but this one opts for cauliflower and goat's cream cheese. It works well with a slightly different, less cheesy topping.

Makes 4 small pizzas or 1 large one

For the crusts
    1 medium-size cauliflower, grated
    100g goat's cream cheese
    1 egg
    Salt and black pepper

For the tomato sauce
    Olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    3-4 garlic cloves, minced
    400g can of chopped tomatoes
    A handful of fresh basil, chopped
    A pinch of dried chilli flakes
    Salt and black pepper

1 Preheat oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking parchment.

2 To make the crust, add the cauliflower to a pot of boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain, then wrap in a tea towel and squeeze out any excess water.

3 In a bowl, mix the grated cauliflower with the cream cheese and egg, and season.

4 Divide the cauliflower mix into four portions and, using your hands, shape the crusts on the sheet. They should be about 1-1½cm thick. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until firm and golden.

5 While the crusts are baking, heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes. Add the garlic and stir briefly, then add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.

6 When the crusts are done, add a spoonful of tomato sauce to each and spread evenly. Add your choice of toppings as desired, plus grated cheese.

7 Bake the pizzas for about 10 minutes at 220C/450F/gas mark 8, until the cheese is golden."

(Recipe idea from here www.atastylovestory.com)

Hope you enjoy this recipe

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Jan 06 2015, 11:03

Cauliflower Hash

Prep Time: 8 minutes
    Cook Time: 12 minutes
    Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients
    ◦2 tablespoons olive oil
    ◦3/4 lb (350 g) cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
    ◦1 medium onion, diced
    ◦1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
    ◦1/4 teaspoon salt
    ◦1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    ◦3 tablespoons water
    ◦1 large clove garlic, minced
    ◦2 teaspoons lemon juice
    ◦2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley leaves (for garnish)
    ◦Fried eggs, for serving (optional)

Instructions
    1.Heat the oil in a large skillet/pan over medium-high heat; add the cauliflower and onion in an even layer and let it cook without stirring until it takes on a little color on the bottom, about 2 to 3 minutes.
    2.Give it a stir, then add the smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, and water. Cover the skillet/pan and cook until the cauliflower is fork-tender but not mushy, and has taken on a golden color, about 3 to 5 minutes.
    3.Turn the heat down to low, add the garlic, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
    4.Stir in the lemon juice and cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds.
    5.Serve with the parsley sprinkled on top, and add a fried egg if you like.

Saw this great recipe at Gwen's 'The Sunny Coconut' Blog and thought it a great one to share. Quick, easy and tasty !

Gwen is also a member here but thought she wouldn't mind if I copied it ........ she runs a very busy blog  sunny

The link to original recipe is here http://thesunnycoconut.com/

Hope you enjoy the recipe, you may cook something similar already.
    Do please let us know if you try it out.

All the best Jan
    Sharon

Post by Sharon Tue Jan 06 2015, 17:11

good recipe to try . could put some cabbage leaves in it to .
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sun Jan 25 2015, 15:20

Here is another tried and tested cauliflower recipe to add to the collection.  I used a mini doughnut pan (about 5cm diameter), swapped to Quorn pepperoni and baked for 18 minutes.

Cauliflowers! - Page 2 20jpqhs

Pizza Bagels
    Serves 6

Ingredients
    2 eggs
    1 cup Mozzarella
    1 cup Cauliflower riced
    25-30 slices pepperoni cut into quarters
    1/2 tsp fennel seed
    3/4-1 tsp Garlic powder (depending on preference)
    1/2 tsp Crushed red pepper
    1 large slice tomato diced

Instructions
    Combine all your ingredients and mix well.
    Spoon mixture into donut pan.
    Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

http://uplateanyway.com/keto/pizza-bagels-low-carb-gluten-free/
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sun Jan 25 2015, 15:24

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:Here is another tried and tested cauliflower recipe to add to the collection.  I used a mini doughnut pan (about 5cm diameter), swapped to Quorn pepperoni and baked for 18 minutes.

Pizza Bagels
    Serves 6

Ingredients
    2 eggs
    1 cup Mozzarella
    1 cup Cauliflower riced
    1/2 tsp fennel seed

Instructions

Nice one!! Smile They look dead good for buffet's etc thumb-up
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sun Jan 25 2015, 15:26

Paul wrote:
    Avocado Sevenfold wrote:Here is another tried and tested cauliflower recipe to add to the collection.  I used a mini doughnut pan (about 5cm diameter), swapped to Quorn pepperoni and baked for 18 minutes.

Pizza Bagels
    Serves 6

Ingredients
    2 eggs
    1 cup Mozzarella
    1 cup Cauliflower riced
    1/2 tsp fennel seed

Instructions

Nice one!! Smile They look dead good for buffet's etc thumb-up

I know! I think next time I might make them with a tomatoey dip to make them even more like pizza.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 23:35