THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards. Empty The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards.

Post by Eddie Sun Nov 29 2015, 19:51

I apologise for the length of this post, but believe background information is required. It is my opinion, and that of many others, the BDA is a health hazard for UK diabetics. Please indulge me and read this post. Thank you.  

I was diagnosed a type two diabetic in March 2008. My HbA1c was 12 and blood glucose meter showing 26, extremely high and highly dangerous blood glucose numbers. I was prescribed Metformin and given a guide to diabetes control by my appointed diabetes nurse. The guide was sponsored by Takeda the largest insulin manufacturer in Japan. My nurse informed me I must cut out all sugar, as did the guide. The mainstay of my new diet was to be starchy carbohydrates. Rice, bread, pasta, couscous, potatoes etc. according to the Takeda guide. At that time, I did not know what a carbohydrate was, I did not know, that when digested they would have the same effect on my blood glucose as sugar. I tried the diet for a few weeks, my blood glucose numbers improved, but never got better than 12 mmol, an improvement, but still highly dangerous numbers. I was acutely aware of the very serious complications of highly elevated BG numbers. Two weeks after my diagnosis, I buried my Father. He died riddled with diabetic complications. He had followed the NHS advice including diet to the letter.

I decided to research type two diabetes, I was very eager to avoid the grim complications if at all possible. It seemed logical to me, if I could get my blood glucose numbers to non diabetic, I could avoid blindness, kidney failure and amputations. A few weeks later, I received one of the greatest pieces of luck of my entire life. I met via a forum a man called Fergus Craig. Fergus has been a type one diabetic since his teenage days, for many years his diabetes control was very poor. Running high BG numbers and well over weight, in short, a disaster waiting to happen, and it very near did. Driving one day he suffered a serious hypo (dangerously low blood sugar) he passed out and crashed his car into a lamppost. Mercifully no one else was involved and Fergus suffered no serious injuries.

After years of denial and poor diabetes control, Fergus realised he had been very lucky and changes had to be made. He went looking for sound information, and discovered the work of Dr. Richard Bernstein, considered by many, including Fergus and myself, as the world's leading expert on blood glucose control for diabetics. Fergus adopted the Bernstein diet of 30 carbs per day spread over three meals. Within a short time he lost over 40 lbs in weight and for the first time in his diabetic life, was maintaining non diabetic HbA1c numbers. He took up marathon running and competing in 100 mile plus cycle races. In short a completely changed man. He has held non diabetic BG numbers for the last ten years or more, and his insulin use reduced to a third of previous requirements.

As for my story, I adopted the Bernstein approach, 30 grams of carbohydrate per day. I dumped the breakfast cereals, toast and orange juice. Eggs, bacon, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes became my start to the day. Fish with a salad my lunch, and meat and three veg my dinner. Within seven days my fasting BG numbers ranged from four to six. Three months after my diagnosis it was time for a check up with my Doctor and more blood work. Results, 50 lb weight loss, HbA1c 5.5 and vastly improved lipid panel. My Doctor was amazed in the changes, I told him how I had achieved the transformation. I then heard the words so many like me have heard “well if it works for you stay with it”

If it works for me, it will work for almost all diabetics. I was so outraged regarding the lamentable treatment, and dietary advice dolled out to diabetics, I set up a website to demonstrate the massive benefits of the low carb lifestyle lowcarbdiabetic.co.uk and posted many posts on a forum encouraging diabetics to follow my way of diabetes control. At that stage it should have been plain sailing for me, and other diabetics on the forum, to stay safe and take control of their diabetes. How wrong I was, heavy duty negative comments came in almost immediately, from a high profile BDA dietitian, Chris Cashin using a pseudo name. Cashin hounded low carbers around the clock, we could be setting ourselves up for scurvy, osteoporosis, bowel disorders and worse, with our low carb lifestyle. That was my first communication with a BDA dietitian, it would not be my last.

I should state at this stage, I have been helped by excellent dietitians, some have become friends, none from the BDA. It is my opinion the BDA is a major health hazard for diabetics. They appear to have no sound policy for the safe control of diabetes, and their dietary recommendations are lamentable. I have informed BDA dietitians of my views on numerous occasions. Unsurprisingly, my words fell on deaf ears. On twitter they blocked me, straight questions never received a straight answer. They were the dietary experts, how dare this mere blogger, this upstart, have the temerity to question their supreme knowledge. Meanwhile the BDA and other dietary organisations have done absolutely nothing to stem the epidemics of obesity and the often linked type two diabetes. In fact the situation gets worse by the day.

That being said, the BDA has become world class in passing the buck. Nothing to do with us they bellow at every opportunity, blame the others. Well, who are the others you may be thinking. Regarding the BDA dietary information for diabetics, it's all down to Diabetes UK according to high profile BDA dietitian Catherine Collins. The dangerous and misleading information on the BDA website regarding "ideal HbA1c" is the fault of NICE, according to another high profile BDA dietitian Paul McArdle. Another very high profile BDA member Dr. Duane Mellor appears to be distancing himself from the mainstay of the BDA for many years, the awful Eat Well plate.

So, there you have it. I suspect the BDA will stay cosy in their smug little world, while pleading, almost begging, with their motto "Trust A Dietitian" Hiding behind other organisations, who incidentally, are getting nowhere fast in the fight against diabetes, as the NHS audited diabetes statistics prove year after year. High profile dietitians will continue to hang out on places like twitter, rubbishing highly qualified and respected Scientists and medical professionals, who are proving to be the salvation of countless diabetics and people wishing to lose weight. It does not require much thought to understand the stance of the BDA, they have been very wrong for decades. In the real world they are becoming increasingly irrelevant. The mainstay of their message to diabetics "reduce saturated fats and increase starchy carbs" has failed totally.

Over seven years ago I stated on my website "Be very careful when being advised by a dietitian. If you are being told to base your diet on starchy high carbohydrate foods and drop the fat, drop the dietitian, if you want to stay complication free and keep medication to a minimum" That advice still stands, and increasingly, all around the world, enlightened and informed medical professionals are in agreement. I welcome the opportunity to debate the issues outlined in this post with BDA dietitians. I doubt that will happen. They will continue to block me on places like twitter, for them it will be business as usual. It will be business as usual for the NHS, the amputations will continue, the wheel chairs and white sticks will be issued. And £billions spent, much so unnecessary, because so many so called health care organisations, are clearly not fit for purpose.

From the BDA website today. Link to information here.

https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/diabetestype2.pdf

The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards. BDA%2BBG

The "ideal HbA1c" is not ideal by a long way. Long term these numbers will lead to serious complications for many and are above the levels organ damage starts.

The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards. Screenshot%2B2015-11-29%2Bat%2B16.30.23

"People with diabetes should eat a healthy diet the same as somebody without diabetes" This information is so wrong it borders on the criminal in my opinion. It is one of the major factors why the annual NHS audited statistics prove on an average year, 93% of type one diabetics and over 50% of type two diabetics never obtain safe HbA1c number.

The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards. BDA%2BEat%2Bwell%2Bplate

Note the high number of highly refined carbohydrates and junk including a can of cola. Following this Eat Well plate of food, it is highly unlikely a diabetic will ever maintain safe and stable blood glucose numbers.

Some recent screen shots from twitter.

The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards. BDA%2Bir%2527s%2BNICE

The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards. BDA%2Beat%2Bwell%2Bplate

The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards. Screenshot%2B2015-11-29%2Bat%2B14.28.51

The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards. BDA%2Ba4
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards. Empty Re: The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards.

Post by graham64 Sun Nov 29 2015, 21:44

People with diabetes should eat a healthy diet, the same as someone that is not metabolically challenged. 

Plan – your meals/snacks around starchy foods such as bread, chapattis, breakfast cereals, potatoes, rice, noodles, oats and pasta. Aim to include one food from this group at each meal time and eat regularly.

https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/HealthyEating.pdf

I doubt any of these dietitians have seen the effects on blood glucose of this so called healthy diet, it's just a fast track to progression and an increasing use of dubious medications to try and counteract the effects of a diet of >50% carbohydrates.

No wonder it now costs the NHS over £2.2m per day for diabetes drugs  Shocked

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11028214/Diabetes-drugs-cost-NHS-2.2m-per-day.html

BDA bad news for diabetics but good for the likes of Kellogg's and Big Pharma
    chris c
    chris c

The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards. Empty Re: The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards.

Post by chris c Sun Nov 29 2015, 21:53

I don't understand why people who don't care about health work in "healthcare". I especially don't understand how they can be so completely unobservant that they not only ignore the inevitable OUTCOMES of their advice but even become obese themselves. Do they then accuse themselves of "failing to comply" with their own diet?

Some of Adele Hite's posts have me laughing but with an undertone of sadness

another
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Nov 29 2015, 21:55

graham64 wrote:People with diabetes should eat a healthy diet, the same as someone that is not metabolically challenged. 

Ah but it is NOT healthy for normies either! Otherwise there would still not be any epidemics of obesity or diabetes just like there weren't before we imported the HCLF diet from the US.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Nov 29 2015, 22:37

Absolved from criticism of dietitians is Dr Trudi Deakin Rd 

Is The Eatwell Plate Healthy with Dr. Trudi Deakin

Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Nov 30 2015, 15:22

The forum receives a complaint.

The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards. Cashin%2Bcomplaint

This complaint was made by dietition Chris Cashin. I stated this in my post.

"heavy duty negative comments came in almost immediately, from a high profile BDA dietitian, Chris Cashin using a pseudo name. Cashin hounded low carbers around the clock, we could be setting ourselves up for scurvy, osteoporosis, bowel disorders and worse, with our low carb lifestyle"

This statement stands as 100% accurate as many old timers here know. Forum mod at the time Dr.Katharine Morrison had this to say.

"I think there would be a lot less hostility towards you Ally if you actually gave constructive advice to people. Many diabetics have not had a postive relationship with NHS dieticians, myself included. A few have had their problems listened to and appropriately addressed and I hope the situation will continue to improve.

I have yet to see a post from you which is written with the aim of helping someone get better control of their diabetes or improve their nutritional state. So far I have simply seen one post after another of the "Do not try this at home variety." None of your negative comments regarding low carbing have been substantiated by scientific evidence. I am patiently waiting for your scientifically based expose of the errors of Dr Bernstein's method and Gary Taubes collection of evidence. All we have got so far is personal opinion."

Posted here.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/had-my-first-appointment-with-the-diabetic-dietician-today.4666/page-4#post-34704

BTW the remark regarding the Police was because of a comment posted by a commenter, not anything I had written. This  was dealt with publicly see link below. I spoke to the Police and as a courtesy I removed the comment from our blog. Clearly an attempt at intimidation. It appear some will try anything to silence the truth.

http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/christine-cashin-registered-dietition_10.html

Clearly you are reading this Chris why not email me, you know the address. Maybe you can tell me where you think I have been dishonest or unfair. Better still, why not join our forum and we can have an open honest debate.

Eddie Mitchell
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Nov 30 2015, 21:46

Posting as Ally5555 on DCUK Christine Cashin was always hounding low carbers IanD, Fergus, Eddie and myself and many others were targeted, the situation got that bad she was banned from the LC forum.

When she did eventually upsticks from DCUK she went to the trouble of deleting some of her most incriminating posts were she was making ludicrous claims about the dangers of low carb, on another forum http://www.dietetics.co.uk/ she also removed posts after we highlighted them one even claimed potatoes should be a staple in a T2 diet  Shocked

Then there was the time she spent over at Dr Briffa's blog but that's another story  Wink
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Nov 30 2015, 22:05

The British Dietetic Association and other health hazards. Screenshot%2B2015-11-30%2Bat%2B22.02.16

One of my tweets tonight.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Dec 02 2015, 19:08

She is a disgrace to a "profession" which is disgraceful in itself. She wittered on about the inevitable dangers of not eating enough starch, including scurvy and bad breath, which never happen, while ignoring the inevitability of AMPUTATIONS and DIALYSIS as a result of her advice.

The worst of her attacks on John Briffa occurred on a doctor's blog which has been completely removed. Also I suspect no-one archived her PMs to newbies.

Thanks to Graham for reminding me of Trudi Deakin, yet another with Clue.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed Dec 02 2015, 21:08

Chris check out Trudi Deakin covering the IDF conference on twitter https://twitter.com/XPERTHealth/with_replies

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 17:32