THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Jennifer Elliott vs Dietitians Association of Australia

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Jennifer Elliott vs Dietitians Association of Australia Empty Jennifer Elliott vs Dietitians Association of Australia

Post by Jan1 Thu Oct 22 2015, 11:47

Taken from Zoe Harcombe's Blog

"This is my first guest blog post. It is written by Jennifer Elliott, an Australian dietitian who has become well known this year, in the diet and health on line community, for having been de-registered by her professional body: the Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA). Her case has led to her employer taking the extraordinary position that “Nutritional advice to clients must not include a low carbohydrate diet…” Even more extraordinary when you discover that Jennifer’s advice was being given in the context of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes and she was merely suggesting that people with an inability to handle glucose/carbohydrate (i.e. diabetics) may benefit from consuming less of it. Here Jennifer shares her story, with links to her blogs, for those who would like to know more.

In Jennifer’s own words…

“I have been a dietitian for 35 years and for over 10 years have recommended carbohydrate restriction to clients with type 2 diabetes (T2D) and insulin resistance (IR).

This was not my practice in the early days. When I graduated in 1979, the Australian Dietary Guidelines had just been released. We were taught that these guidelines were the basis of a healthy diet for everyone and for many years I believed this.

I converted my parents to a low-fat, almost vegetarian diet, with plenty of wholegrain carbs, fruits and vegetables. I was part of the new generation of dietitians who were spreading the word about healthy “complex carbohydrates”, as they were then known.

When I started a family, I took it a step further by moving to the country for the best lifestyle possible for my children; home grown/ home cooked vegetarian meals, little processed foods, plenty of outside play and TV time limited to what my now adult children refer to as deprivation levels.

Two of my children thrived in this environment – healthy, energetic and lean – but my middle daughter, Jeanne, was different. She gained weight around the tummy at an early age, seemed to have less energy than her siblings, was a mouth-breather, suffered with reflux and could be moody at times. All signs I now recognise as relating to insulin resistance (IR).

At around 12 years of age she gained a lot of weight quite quickly and by age 14 was borderline obese. And I was at loss to explain why.

I am forever grateful for what happened next. I was in the right place at the right time to meet a GP whose family situation was remarkably similar to mine: three slim, high energy, eat-what-they-like children and one with a weight problem. After hearing about the presence of IR in young, seemingly healthy children (and not just in people with diabetes as she had been taught), this GP had her daughter tested and suggested the same for Jeanne. A two-hour Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT), with the addition of five insulin measures, showed normal blood glucose levels (BGLs) but a high insulin response, fitting the diagnostic criteria for IR.

Fifteen years ago, my knowledge about IR was limited to its connection with type 2 diabetes. The significance for a 14 year old with normal BGLs was a mystery to me.

The research begins"

Do use this link and go over to read more ...

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2015/10/jennifer-elliott-vs-dietitians-association-of-australia/

Have you any thoughts?

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Jennifer Elliott vs Dietitians Association of Australia Empty Re: Jennifer Elliott vs Dietitians Association of Australia

Post by graham64 Thu Oct 22 2015, 22:50

Jennifer Elliott vs Dietitians Association of Australia IbOHw7EJE1RklBU4G0jCPH2LFU7WYnhoPZ6OavwYQbm-iLfIfdQfpcvn2t3ThLV95DGpzgg=s156

Kellogg Nutrition ANZ has a team of 5 Accredited Practicing Dietitians, nutritionists and food technologists working across Australia and New Zealand.
    We help provide leadership and advice in the areas of:

•  product development and innovation

•  science and research

•  brand marketing

•  food regulations and labeling

•  corporate affairs, and

•  nutrition education.

As a team, we strive to spread evidence-based nutrition messages to help support a healthier community.
    As part of this, we are leaders in promoting the health benefits of cereal fibre. We do this in all areas of our work, from product development and innovation right through to consumer education.

Our nutrition partners

We are in the privileged position to work collaboratively with a number of organisations that are leaders in different areas of nutrition:

Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA)

Jennifer Elliott vs Dietitians Association of Australia DAA%20logo%20RBG

http://www.kelloggsnutrition.com/en_AU/whoweare.html

There's a few more nutrition partners including the "Grains and Legumes Nutrition Council" and Sports Dietitians Australia.

Is it any wonder the DAA is so against low carb they obviously don't want to upset Mr Kellogg do they  Rolling Eyes
    chris c
    chris c

Jennifer Elliott vs Dietitians Association of Australia Empty Re: Jennifer Elliott vs Dietitians Association of Australia

Post by chris c Fri Oct 23 2015, 20:05

Anecdotally some doctors have admitted to their patients in the UK that they have been specifically told NOT to encourage, or even discuss, other than low fat diets, and of course that they MUST NOT prescribe test strips to Type 2s.

Theoretically it is possible that any doctor improving on the dire NHS statistics for diabetes could be investigated, not with a view to finding out how they did it in order to benefit other patients, but with a view to disciplinary action for "failing to comply with NICE Guidelines/PCT Protocols".

I don't know if this has ever actually happened, but I know it has occurred with hypothyroid, and some doctors have been struck off for using T3 or Armor or "overtreating" ie. normalising their patients, when NICE Guidelines limit them to prescribing only T4 and not treating TSH down to normal levels, or for diagnosing clearly hypothyroid patients who are actually "not hypothyroid enough" to be diagnosed.

Also I don't know what has been the effect of PCTs being replaced with CCGs which theoretically gives GPs more chance to make clinical decisions for clinical rather than financial reasons.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Oct 24 2015, 16:47

The time is coming when the dietary recommendations will have to change to what we recommend. The main reason will be lack of money not because it makes sense. Healthcare systems are going bankrupt all over the world. The true state of most countries economies is extremely grim, and will get far worse. It will be realised £billions can be saved by the NHS by preventative measures, already sugar is seen by many as the new tobacco. Next under the cosh will be junk food and starch laden carbs.

Many of the big changes must be made by educating the youngsters in schools. The old fashioned domestic science lessons must be brought back and made compulsory for boys and girls. Teach them how to cook and prepare real food. Tie this in with science lessons and disease prevention, do more to encourage every kid whatever their ability to take part in sport.

Type two diabetes used to be an old man's disease, now kids are going down with it. I have come to the conclusion that a diabetic not controlled well, may give you around 20 more years if you are very lucky. What chance has a teenager got of getting even to middle age with poorly controlled diabetes, nil I reckon.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Oct 25 2015, 21:57

I think that's the reason, culling the population. Of course if they can make you fat first they win because fat people eat more food by definition and are therefore more profitable. Uncontrolled diabetics are profitable because they require increasing quantities of drugs before going on to insulin for life.

This is why I think there's such a fight back from Conventional Wisdom in the face of increasing numbers of patients of all kinds improving their health, a still small but increasing number of clueful doctors and an absolute MOUNTAIN of research which is hidden in plain sight on PubMed but still no part of "Evidence Based Medicine" which is actually dumbed down one size fits all dogma based medicine financed by the Usual Suspects.

Jennifer Elliott and Tim Noakes are Show Trials, just like Annika Dahlqvist was meant to be. I'm surprised there hasn't (yet) been a move to ban Aseem Malhotra or David Unwin. Especially since Unwin showed how much money could be saved by putting diabetics on LCHF - that's money NOT going into the coffers of Big Pharma.

"It will be realised £billions can be saved by the NHS by preventative measures, already sugar is seen by many as the new tobacco. Next under the cosh will be junk food and starch laden carbs."

Actually fat will be next under the cosh, well it already is. Sad

Did you see Jennifer's actual paper?

"She said Jehova! Stone her!"
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sun Oct 25 2015, 22:38

chris c wrote:Jennifer Elliott and Tim Noakes are Show Trials, just like Annika Dahlqvist was meant to be. I'm surprised there hasn't (yet) been a move to ban Aseem Malhotra or David Unwin. Especially since Unwin showed how much money could be saved by putting diabetics on LCHF - that's money NOT going into the coffers of Big Pharma.

Dietitians are already on Aseem Malhotra's case 

Catherine Collins ‏[ltr]@RD_Catherine[/ltr]  Oct 23
    Catherine Collins Retweeted
    Bless. @DrAseemMalhotra thinks his opinions validated frm tickbox response of 6k.If only nutrition was that simple https://twitter.com/DrAseemMalhotra/status/657605450289061888 …
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Oct 26 2015, 19:07

Oh yes I remember she had a go at him earlier. If she was as slim and healthy as him she might have a point, and as I wrote last time as a cardiovascular surgeon he's the one who fixes her mistakes.

Now THAT would be worth seeing, as she goes in for her first stents

"Hello, I'm your surgeon, my name is Aseem Malhotra"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 23:07