THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Invokana May Increase Bone Fracture Risk: FDA

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Invokana May Increase Bone Fracture Risk: FDA Empty Invokana May Increase Bone Fracture Risk: FDA

Post by graham64 Thu Sep 10 2015, 23:25

Follows evidence linking the SGLT2 inhibitor to fractures

The FDA strengthened the warning for type 2 diabetes drug canagliflozin (Invokana, Invokamet) to note that the drugs may increase the risk of bone fracture and decrease bone mineral density.

In a drug safety communication, posted today, the agency said they have added a new warning and precaution and have revised the adverse reactions section of the drug labels to reflect this fact.

Last year, a researcher wrote in Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology that there is a possible relationship between the drug, a sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibitor, and bone fractures, especially for post-menopausal women. She cited numerous studies showing a possible link as evidence.

The FDA said that healthcare professionals should consider factors that may contribute to fracture risk before starting their patients on canagliflozin. They also added the following information:

1. Bone fractures have been seen in patients on canagliflozin
    2. Fractures can occur as early as 12 weeks after starting the drug
    3. In addition to bone fractures, canagliflozin has also been linked to decreases in bone mineral density at the hip and lumbar spine  

More here:  http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Diabetes/53490?
    chris c
    chris c

Invokana May Increase Bone Fracture Risk: FDA Empty Re: Invokana May Increase Bone Fracture Risk: FDA

Post by chris c Fri Sep 11 2015, 18:20

So you not only piss away all the excess sugar, you piss your bones down the toilet too. Just great . . .
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Invokana May Increase Bone Fracture Risk: FDA Empty Re: Invokana May Increase Bone Fracture Risk: FDA

Post by Eddie Sat Sep 12 2015, 08:06

chris c wrote:So you not only piss away all the excess sugar, you piss your bones down the toilet too. Just great . . .

Other than Metformin I have never heard of a type two med that does not carry possible serious side effects. Even big pharma's own literature only confirms a very modest reduction in HbA1c err... maybe. We know a type two going onto insulin can carry a three times greater risk of mortality, dose dependent. Not to mention the huge grief of being insulin dependent, such as driving licence, insurance, hypo's need I go on.

The question I have asked for a long time, why do a group of type ones at the flog, want to kill off as many type two's as they can. Why do these people constantly meddle in type two discussions. As Indy said at the flog early this morning "I guess I've come in late and have a lot of reading to catch up on, but I'm wondering why this has morphed into a discussion about Type 1 when Kraft's work (his book is called 'Diabetes Epidemic & You') is related to the aetiology of Type 2? Seems to me discussing Type 1 in this context is just muddying the waters?"

Answers on a post card please.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Sep 12 2015, 20:06

I didn't look much at the Type 1 threads when I posted there but I predict most of the same gang who COULD have helped the Type 1s didn't, am I right?

Agreed on the metformin which appears to have a whole bunch of benefits and not only for diabetics, and agreed on the potential toxicity of most other Type 2 meds, and the fact they don't have but a fraction of the effect of a decent diet.

What's the betting that even now the drug companies are about to announce an antidote which stops the bone loss and only costs £99/month?
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Sep 13 2015, 00:18

chris c wrote:So you not only piss away all the excess sugar, you piss your bones down the toilet too. Just great . . .

UTI's, DKA and now bone fractures wonderful  facepalm still the drug must be a far safer option than LC  which due to worries about the long term effects is frowned upon by the powers that be.

But what do I know apart from I've never had a UTI a DKA nor a bone fracture in over seven years of LC  Rolling Eyes
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Sep 13 2015, 18:02

Or scurvy, or bad breath, or a lack of energy, or . . . or . . .
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sun Sep 13 2015, 18:11

chris c wrote:Or scurvy, or bad breath, or a lack of energy, or . . . or . . .

...Or...Any weight loss achieved on LCHF is due to the skeleton shrinking due to osteoporosis!! facepalm facepalm wtf

Damn! I wish I could find the link to where that load of shite was implied-I "Believe" it may have been from a commenter on the 'Carbsane asylum' blog! facepalm
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Sep 13 2015, 18:24

She should be prosecuted under the Trades Description Act
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Sep 13 2015, 22:14

chris c wrote:I didn't look much at the Type 1 threads when I posted there but I predict most of the same gang who COULD have helped the Type 1s didn't, am I right?

Yep that sums it up,  phoenix was busy sticking her nose in T2 low carb threads whilst virtually ignoring cries for help from newly diagnosed LADA's and other insulin dependents.

One things for sure she never intervenes in the T1 low carb threads warning of the dire consequences of following LC
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Sep 14 2015, 19:33

Sid is an obvious buffoon, I've met not a few in other places too. Phoenix is knowledgeable enough to be actively dangerous. Are there any clueful Type 1s left over there? I learned a lot from Fergus and his ilk, especially some clueful pumpers who demonstrated just how much work an unbroken pancreas has to do by emulating it on their pump settings. They would use different basal rates at different times of day, and different carb-insulin ratios, then a load of different profiles for highly active or passive days etc.

Naturally they all used these settings to trim the effects of a low carb diet, and only turned things up to eat a "normal" meal when it was unavoidable.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Sep 14 2015, 19:39

chris c wrote:Sid is an obvious buffoon, I've met not a few in other places too. Phoenix is knowledgeable enough to be actively dangerous. Are there any clueful Type 1s left over there? I learned a lot from Fergus and his ilk, especially some clueful pumpers who demonstrated just how much work an unbroken pancreas has to do by emulating it on their pump settings. They would use different basal rates at different times of day, and different carb-insulin ratios, then a load of different profiles for highly active or passive days etc.

Naturally they all used these settings to trim the effects of a low carb diet, and only turned things up to eat a "normal" meal when it was unavoidable.

Well,at the very least,thank god it looks like the despotic Jopar appears to have left the world of diabetes fora! Nasty bit of work IMO who just loved to troll every T2 and LCHF thread just for fun! Rolling Eyes
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Sep 14 2015, 19:47

Obviously not banned, did she just leave or find a different playground?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Sep 14 2015, 20:00

chris c wrote:Obviously not banned, did she just leave or find a different playground?

She just 'Appears' to have called it a day,seemed to disappear around the same time as Carbo gave up the ghost with his blog.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Sep 14 2015, 20:09

She may be putting the wind up the newbies on the Official DUK Forum, I saw one or two of the other anti-low-carbers over there but can't bear to look nowadays. I do know one or two clueful people who post there and try to help, but among all the "I got my A1c down to 8!" "Hugs!!!" type threads I despaired long ago.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Mon Sep 14 2015, 20:28

chris c wrote:Sid is an obvious buffoon, I've met not a few in other places too. Phoenix is knowledgeable enough to be actively dangerous. Are there any clueful Type 1s left over there? I learned a lot from Fergus and his ilk, especially some clueful pumpers who demonstrated just how much work an unbroken pancreas has to do by emulating it on their pump settings. They would use different basal rates at different times of day, and different carb-insulin ratios, then a load of different profiles for highly active or passive days etc.

"Phoenix is knowledgeable enough to be actively dangerous." No one can argue Phoenix is not a very bright person. The $64,000 question must be, why she has spent the last six years, trying to bring so many low carbers and diabetics down?

My opinion, she is a psychopathic retard. None stop meddling in type two threads. Forever pushing her high carb low fat agenda. Which she must know, is a one way ticket to Palookaville for us type two's, and most type ones. Maybe she gets some sort of sexual buzz from her work. But the bright see thorough her, and her ilk.

graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Sep 14 2015, 21:37

Paul1976 wrote:

Well,at the very least,thank god it looks like the despotic Jopar appears to have left the world of diabetes fora! Nasty bit of work IMO who just loved to troll every T2 and LCHF thread just for fun!  Rolling Eyes

Complete fruit cake Jopar Rolling Eyes I used to fall about laughing at some of the stuff she posted, a classic was were she claimed Bernstein had impinged her human rights affraid I had visions of the good doctor sending his heavies round to her place to ensure she complied with his dietary advice  Laughing
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Sep 15 2015, 17:37

I knew another clueless Type 1 on a pump elsewhere who called him Bernsquack. Needless to say she was obese and failed to understand why . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 06:16