THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+11
Eddie
Pasha
mo1905
Indy51
merrylizard1314
Admin
graham64
zand
Paul1976
Jan1
beardie
15 posters

Introduce myself.

zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Introduce myself. - Page 3 Empty Re: Introduce myself.

Post by zand Fri Sep 04 2015, 14:46

@skinnydipper I forgot to say thank you also for confirming that it is possible to follow a high fat diet when you have no gallbladder. I have tentatively suggested this to a few people, but have no experience of it myself. It's great to hear from someone who has managed it successfully. Smile
    skinnydipper
    skinnydipper

Female Posts : 11

Post by skinnydipper Fri Sep 04 2015, 16:22

Sorry, I thought I had replied to Zand & Eddie but I must have hit the wrong button & lost it - Duh!

I feel embarrassed by the praise. I was just trying to stop the T2 progressing and all other health improvements were an unexpected bonus. I had seen how the disease progressed when someone made no changes to their lifestyle and didn't want to go down that route.

I enjoy reading the witty posts but I am not so articulate so will probably remain a lurker.

If you feel it will help others then I am happy for you to share the details of my post.

With regard to the gall bladder, it was probably a low fat diet that caused the stones. Gall bladders need fat to work properly otherwise sludge collects & forms stones. I now eat loads of fat - lots of fried food in butter, coconut oil or lard, naturally fatty meat, bullet proof hot choc made with raw cacao powder, coconut milk and added tablespoons of coconut oil & butter and if a meal isn't naturally fatty then I add butter or olive oil.

Sorry if this ends up a duplicate post.

Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Fri Sep 04 2015, 16:33

A big welcome to the forum from me and echo others when they say what a great post you put up about your low carb success! clap

Also,please do feel free to join in on any threads you wish! It's great to have you on board! thumb-up

Warm regards

Paul
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Fri Sep 04 2015, 16:37

@skinnydipper Thank you so much for the gallbladder explanation.  I have 2 non diabetic friends who tell me they can't follow LCHF (for weight loss) because they don't have a gallbladder.  I always thought they could at least try it, but didn't like to push the matter further..... Smile

I find you to be extremely articulate, but fully understand if you wish to remain a lurker.  Just stick around that's the main thing  Smile  It's good to have you here in whatever capacity.  Smile
    Baruney
    Baruney

Male Posts : 167

Post by Baruney Fri Sep 04 2015, 17:20

Bang on the money there @skinnydipper and can't really add anything to what people has said previously.

I also find your comments extremely articulate and thanks for the comments about my witty posts - I know you didn't mention me by name but no one even comes within half a mile so know you meant me.

Someone like @nomistheman tries, bless him, and is trying to lurk, bless him, but he can't - he'll be itching to reply. He knows deep down he's not even half as funny as me but hasn't been able to accept that yet.

....and I give him 5 minutes before we see a red to green.

Gotta go before he jumps in... run
    skinnydipper
    skinnydipper

Female Posts : 11

Post by skinnydipper Fri Sep 04 2015, 17:35

I should point out that I was not following NHS dietary advice.  I had already implemented a low carb diet and was testing my blood sugar by the time I saw the Diabetes Nurse at the surgery.  She gave me a booklet "Healthy Eating & Diabetes" which is a joke and which I have kept for that reason alone. (anyone want a copy?)

Quote: always eat starchy foods with your meals and snacks.  Then goes on to list potatoes, bread, cereals, rice and pasta, bananas & so on.

I am afraid DN and I did not hit it off (massive understatement)

I  pointed out to said DN that these foods were guaranteed to spike my blood sugar and was informed that I should not be checking my own blood sugar as I would have a test at the surgery every few months to check how I was doing.  We had a "debate" about this as I thought that not knowing which foods were the culprit and relying on a test months ahead was not the best way forward, in fact closing the stable door not only after the horse had bolted but when it was out of sight.

Thankfully I am no longer required to see her.

My GP understood where I was coming from with the low carb & self testing, and in fact prescribed test strips for a while after I pointed out this was the cheaper option compared to treating diabetic complications.

I don't think my diabetes has been cured but rather in remission. I know if I go back to my old ways it will rear its ugly head and that is motivation enough for me.

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Fri Sep 04 2015, 18:14

@skinnydipper. I was given a booklet too and I kept it for the same reason. Smile I walked out of the surgery thinking I was on my own with it all again. I had already implemented my own version of LCHF which I had discovered for myself, then I found the forums a couple of years ago and improved things a bit. I've been T2 for 4 years now.

The fact that newly diagnosed diabetics like you and I knew more about a healthy diet for diabetics than our HCPs is nothing short of scandalous. I remember reading the 'eat carbs regularly' bit and thinking "That's what got me here, are they mad?"

Oh re the losing of posts. We found that happened a bit when the forum was new. It happened to me sometimes when notification that someone else had just posted on the thread again came up. I pressed send and then lost the post. It hasn't happened to me for months, but if I'm doing a long post I often write and save it in a word document now, just in case.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Fri Sep 04 2015, 18:18

@skinnydipper

Thank you for allowing me to publish your story elsewhere. I have sent your story to Professor Tim Noakes, Dr. Aseem Malhotra, Zoe Harcombe, Bob Briggs, Anne Childers MD, The Low Carb Dietitian, Robert Lustig MD and the Diet Doctor, via twitter. Many more people to contact, but people are reading your great story all over the world. Your story been re-tweeted by Zoe who has over ten thousand followers and is very well known, your story will help so many. The read count is going up by the minute. Thanks again.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Fri Sep 04 2015, 18:40

Paul can you make Skinnydippers story a stickie and place in the how to reverse diabetes thread with Rod's story or whatever you think best. Thanks.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Fri Sep 04 2015, 18:43

Eddie wrote:Paul can you make Skinnydippers story a stickie and place in the how to reverse diabetes thread with Rod's story or whatever you think best. Thanks.

No probs! Great idea!
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Sep 04 2015, 19:29

Yet another success story DESPITE and not because of the "Healthcare Professionals".

Yes I too had gallstones which it took five years to have diagnosed and removed while eating a low fat diet, I've since read a number of similar stories.

Eating fat WHILE you have stones is probably not a good plan as it causes the gallbladder to contract which is painful, and eject stones which is even more painful.

I too was recommended to eat a LF diet after it was removed but actually fat makes no difference - the bile just trickles in instead of being stored and squirted in. Theoretically if you overdo it you could get steattorhoea but in practice I haven't had a problem, unlike while I had the stones.

Curiously my stones were largely cholesterol, not surprising in retrospect as my lipids were crap on low fat and are much closer to normal on low carb.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Fri Sep 04 2015, 21:20

skinnydipper wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome.  This is the first time that I have posted on a forum so please excuse any gaffes.

I have been a lurker on "the other forum" since I was diagnosed as T2 in 2013.  The high blood sugar was picked up by the ambulance men when I was admitted to hospital for another problem.  I had previously been to the doctor with blurred vision and other vague symptoms but never had BG checked.  

Following the brief admission (when the hospital advised to see my GP re BG) and before seeing my GP, I started looking into solutions and discovered low carb.  I already had a meter as my late brother in law was an insulin dependent T2 and for some reason I kept his meters.  Incidentally he committed suicide by stopping his insulin. My GP suggested Metformin at that time but having read extensively I decided to give low carb a go first and it worked.  My GP tells me I am no longer diabetic.  I know that I am only achieving good results through low carb.

Since starting low carb my kidney function has improved from eGFR of 55 to 84. GP hadn't bothered to tell me it was down to 55 about 5 years ago and only told me when the results were improving! - I was furious.  Reason for not being told - not at treatment level.  Obviously just waiting for further deterioration.  I now make sure I know all my results and ask for copies.

My autoimmune hypothyroidism has improved and I now only need 75 mcg of Thyroxine instead of 125.  I understand from reading up on it that the thyroid function improves as a consequence of lower insulin levels - GP hadn't heard of this.  I assume I had insulin resistance and was producing massive amounts of insulin to try & keep my blood sugar down.

I had been diagnosed with early cataracts some years ago but no sign of them now.  I understand they can be caused by high blood sugar and called "sugar cataracts"

Another bonus is the weight loss, I have lost about 4st without any effort other than the change in diet and am now slim. I do not count how many CH grams I eat but just follow LCHF guidelines and eat real food.  Even though I have no gall bladder I have had no problem eating high fat.

I have also been able to stop the proton pump inhibitor for reflux that I had been taking for many years and which nobody told me caused osteoporosis.  As you can see I now read up on everything.

Against my doctor's advice I stopped taking my statin and despite his pessimism my triglycerides are now excellent.  I also stopped one of my BP meds.

At the time of diagnosis I was told I was just over the borderline into T2 so I realise I am very lucky not to have been further down the line.  I feel blessed to have been so ill that day I required an ambulance as if my blood had not been checked by the ambulance man then I would have continued to abuse my body by eating junk and probably caused more permanent damage.  All my improvements in health I put down to eating a low carbohydrate diet.

I just wish that I hadn't always accepted medication as the solution but looked into the cause of the problem and tried to put that right.  Still, its never too late to take responsibility for your own health.

I have probably told you more than you needed or wanted to know and will likely just go back to lurking.

I have learnt so much from the knowledgeable low carb folk and continue to learn.  Thank you for your guidance.

I was recommended to take a look at this post by a good friend and so glad I did. What a great story @skinnydipper. It's posts like these that make what we do worthwhile :-)
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Fri Sep 04 2015, 21:52

Hi skinnydipper welcome to our forum cheers So glad you decided to post your inspirational story.
    nomistheman
    nomistheman

Post by nomistheman Sat Sep 05 2015, 10:14

@skinnydipper what a wonderful and inspirational story. So sad to read about your in-law. You have achieved something they will be very proud of. 

@Baruney is funnier than me  to look at! Wink  Not by miles but, by leagues! Laughing 

May I add my warm welcome to the forum and also my hope that you will post more than lurk. I find your posts very articulate. We can't all be as hilarious as @Baruney but, we all have our problems.

I look forward to more of your posts @skinnydipper. Keep up the good fight it is inspirational. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 12:12