THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+12
Eddie
Derek
RANDBURG
beardie
sanguine
Paul1976
zand
Sharon
mo1905
Andy12345
Moose
Indy51
16 posters

Television Series and all that 'Jazz'

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Television Series and all that 'Jazz'  - Page 10 Empty Re: Television Series and all that 'Jazz'

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 28 2017, 21:59

chris c wrote:I just watched the first in a series I forgot I'd recorded - Back In Time For Dinner, from the 1950s, which brought back some reminiscences, especially the larder and its contents. Seems to be available on Vimeo/YouTube for anyone who missed it. Excellent attention to detail. Shortly I'll watch the 1960s.

Looking back to the 1950's ... weren't larders wonderful.
    I can remember the larder in my parents house, a sort of walk in under the stairs cupboard that had a big flat stone plate where mum used to keep the milk, butter, lard etc.

Times have certainly changed but I look back on memories of 'good old days' and I just hope that our children and grandchildren will do the same.

Technology has certainly taken over, and as other generations have done we too do our best to keep up with the times.
    Sometimes not easy.

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Television Series and all that 'Jazz'  - Page 10 Empty Re: Television Series and all that 'Jazz'

Post by chris c Sat Sep 30 2017, 00:29

Oh yes, ours had a marble shelf too, and the latest in technology, a milk cooler which was an earthenware pot inverted over the milk and stood in a saucer of water.

The meat was kept in a meat safe in the "coal cellar", originally a wooden box with a mesh door, later replaced with a metal one. The coal cellar was actually a separate brick shed which also used to contain the coal-fired wash boiler or "copper".

We have a galley kitchen here, and a separate dining room, which I like, but which some of the neighbours have replaced by a full size kitchen/diner. Originally there was a built in larder and a coal/wood fired range, according to people who knew the houses when originally built. The range chimney is a bit of a pain in the arse as when the wind is in the wrong direction the rain comes down, bringing a cascade of soot, and sometimes in spring hibernating queen wasps or hornets. When I get the circular tuit I think I'll install an extractor and a rainproof chimney. On the other hand the people who want the house after I'm dead asked if I would knock down the entire chimney and chimney breast, which also affects one of the upstairs bedrooms. On reflection, no, they can do that themselves . . .
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Oct 17 2017, 23:43

Jan1 wrote:The amazing Planet Earth Two tonight at 8pm BBC 1

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/ffwp7f/planet-earth-ii--s2-e2-planet-earth-ii-mountains

Rare footage of the elusive animals (snow leopards) that live in the unforgiving environment of the world's mountain ranges. A female snow leopard with a cub ends up caught between two rival males, grizzly bears rub themselves up against trees in an attempt to shed their winter fur, and golden eagles hunt over snow-capped peaks.

Photography is such a high standard

All the best Jan

Finally! I'm watching this, absolute brilliance. And the music fits the visuals perfectly, not always the case.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Nov 22 2017, 19:13

We watched an episode last night and really enjoyed it ...

Ben Fogle : New Lives In The Wild
    Adventurer Ben Fogle meets people who have turned their backs on the daily grind.

More here:
    http://www.channel5.com/show/ben-fogle-new-lives-in-the-wild/

Happy viewing

You can also read more about Ben Fogle here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Fogle

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Nov 27 2017, 17:53

Started watching the BBC 4 new series Witnesses, a Frozen Death last Saturday.
    It's a French series with English subtitles.
    We enjoyed it ...

Episodes 3 and 4 next Saturday

" When the body of a young woman is found buried under a wind turbine, police work to figure out if and how this death might be related to the other murders. Detective Sandra Winckler starts using the same dating app that Catherine Keemer had used in the run-up to her abduction, in an effort to track down the man who snatched Catherine. But is this, and the budding friendship between the two women, a step too far in becoming personally involved in the investigation?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09hgdzx

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Jan 06 2018, 23:43

Enjoyed Spiral the BBC4 French cop drama again this evening.
    If you haven't seen it I would think it's available on iPlayer ...
    It stars Caroline Proust as the tough police captain Laure Berthaud ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0072wk9

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sun Jan 07 2018, 21:06

Jan1 wrote:Enjoyed Spiral the BBC4 French cop drama again this evening.

All the best Jan

I've been watching Spiral excellent series, will be checking out another new BBC series Hard Sun was on Saturday so should be available on BBC i  Player
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Jan 11 2018, 19:24

graham64 wrote:

All the best Jan

I've been watching Spiral excellent series, will be checking out another new BBC series Hard Sun was on Saturday so should be available on BBC i  Player

Have you had a chance to watch Hard Sun?
    Just wondered what you thought of it ... a hit or a miss???

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Jan 11 2018, 22:20

Jan1 wrote:
    graham64 wrote:

All the best Jan

Have you had a chance to watch Hard Sun?
    Just wondered what you thought of it ... a hit or a miss???

All the best Jan

U have watched the first episode Jan, might not be to everyone's taste but I have enjoyed it so far, check out the review here

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jan/06/hard-sun-review-an-apocalyptic-gutsy-drama-from-the-creator-of-luther
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jan 12 2018, 22:07

Many thanks for the link ... haven't watched it yet, and it will be part 2 tomorrow ... where do the weeks go!

Definitely looking forward to two more episodes of Spiral Saturday evening BBC4 from 9pm

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Jan 17 2018, 18:27

Finally got around to watching Hard Sun ... was certainly different, and as Graham said it might not be to everyone's taste.

It certainly is not on my must watch list, whereas Spiral definitely is ...

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Jan 19 2018, 23:50

Finally I'm catching up on last year's Springwatch! That's how far behind I am on my recordings.

There's always been good stuff on TV buried among all the dross, but in general I am reminded of a John Brunner character, written in 1968 and set in 2010, who spends his time stoned out of his gourd watching TV and thinking

"Christ! What an imagination I've got!"

In the real 2010 there's no need for the drugs.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Jan 21 2018, 22:51

New Swedish drama on More 4 just been watching episode 1 looks promising, available now on catch up 

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/rebecka-martinsson-arctic-murders/episode-guide/
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Jan 22 2018, 19:08

graham64 wrote:New Swedish drama on More 4 just been watching episode 1 looks promising, available now on catch up 

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/rebecka-martinsson-arctic-murders/episode-guide/

One of our sons told us about this too!
    Watched it and yes, enjoyed it ... more again this Friday Smile
    Must remember it's on!

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Jan 27 2018, 12:47

Jan1 wrote:
    graham64 wrote:New Swedish drama on More 4 just been watching episode 1 looks promising, available now on catch up 

One of our sons told us about this too!
    Watched it and yes, enjoyed it ... more again this Friday Smile
    Must remember it's on!

All the best Jan

Enjoyed another episode of the new Swedish Drama on More 4 last night.

Looking forward to Spiral this evening on BBC4

Happy Weekend everyone sunny

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue May 08 2018, 21:17

OK a while ago now but I just got around to re-watching Back In Time For Dinner, which covered food from the fifties to date. There was also a prequel Further Back In Time For Dinner which went from the turn of the century to the forties.

The family concerned was given information on social behaviour, dressed in the relevant fashions and had their house converted to contain kitchen appliances and utensils from the time.

Fascinating to see the background to my parents (born 1909 and 1915). At that time there were domestic servants/maids of all work, and cooking took a long time and a lot of effort.

Also fascinating to see the massive explosion in synthetic food from the seventies, the young boy among others was in raptures over a hamper of flavoured crisps.

There's a third series, Back In Time For Tea, which I haven't watched yet.

Haven't looked to see if they are on YouTube but they may be available from the BBC website.
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Thu May 10 2018, 10:17

We saw the last series, Chris and thought it very good. We were particularly interested in our childhood times in the 40's and 50's and them having dripping.  I used to love crusts with dripping on, particularly the gunge at the bottoms of the dripping.
    I can see my mother now cutting into a basin of dripping and turning it over to spread the bottoms on my bread.
    It certainly didn't do me any harm!
    D.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu May 10 2018, 22:01

We were too posh to have bread and dripping (grin) but mother used to collect it in an earthenware bowl (later kept in the fridge when we got one) and use it for cooking. Her roast spuds were to die for.

Also she used to buy blocks of lard, and suet for suet pudding. I can remember when Trex first came out

http://familybaking.co.uk/about-trex/

originally it was trans fat like Crisco. I think it was gran who recommended it. Ah well, nobody's perfect. She lived from 1885 to 1975 so she saw the first airplanes and also men on the moon. Quite astonishing.
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Fri May 11 2018, 07:27

you must have been posh Chris, having a fridge! We had a meat safe in a cool area of the house under a slab of marble/stone!
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun May 13 2018, 23:07

I can't remember when we first got the fridge, probably in the late sixties. Before that we had a meat safe in the "coal cellar" which was actually an outbuilding. My father built the first one out of boards and wire mesh, and later they bought an all metal one. We had a milk cooler too, an earthenware pot upended over the milk bottle and stood in a saucer of water. But then the milk was delivered daily. I don't recall them ever having a freezer or even a fridge freezer until we moved here.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat May 26 2018, 18:27

We watched 'A Very English Scandal, episode 1 last week and one review has said: Hugh Grant is both charming and bone-chilling in this brilliant take on the Thorpe affair'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2018/05/20/english-scandal-episode-1-review-hugh-grant-charming-bone-chilling/

Have to admit I've never been a big Hugh Grant fan ... but thought he was very good in the first of this short series ...

Note to myself (and Eddie) must remember to watch Episode 2 !!!

Did you see it?

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat May 26 2018, 21:42

My old man near pissed himself laughing when the Thorpe trial was under way and the reporter said that Thorpe and Scott "hadn't met face to face for years"

Yes I always found Hugh Grant rather overrated, sounds like he finally grew up.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat May 26 2018, 22:02

This is as funny as it gets in my opinion.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat May 26 2018, 22:30

Oh yes a classic. Player of the pink oboe.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue May 29 2018, 21:53

Has anyone else noticed ...
    It's the semi-finals week of Britain's Got Talent  Exclamation  

I'm not an avid fan ... watched a little last night and the same tonight.

I did read that viewing numbers are down, but it still attracts many entrants for the auditions.

I wonder which act will be at The Royal Variety Show later this year Question

Watch this space ...

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19 2024, 07:08