The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Television Series and all that 'Jazz'

Jan1

Female Posts : 4331

Re: Television Series and all that 'Jazz'

Post by Jan1 on Thu Sep 28 2017, 21:59

@chris c wrote:I just watched the first in a series I forgot I'd recorded - Back In Time For Dinner, from the 1950s, which brought back some reminiscences, especially the larder and its contents. Seems to be available on Vimeo/YouTube for anyone who missed it. Excellent attention to detail. Shortly I'll watch the 1960s.

Looking back to the 1950's ... weren't larders wonderful.
    I can remember the larder in my parents house, a sort of walk in under the stairs cupboard that had a big flat stone plate where mum used to keep the milk, butter, lard etc.

Times have certainly changed but I look back on memories of 'good old days' and I just hope that our children and grandchildren will do the same.

Technology has certainly taken over, and as other generations have done we too do our best to keep up with the times.
    Sometimes not easy.

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sat Sep 30 2017, 00:29

Oh yes, ours had a marble shelf too, and the latest in technology, a milk cooler which was an earthenware pot inverted over the milk and stood in a saucer of water.

The meat was kept in a meat safe in the "coal cellar", originally a wooden box with a mesh door, later replaced with a metal one. The coal cellar was actually a separate brick shed which also used to contain the coal-fired wash boiler or "copper".

We have a galley kitchen here, and a separate dining room, which I like, but which some of the neighbours have replaced by a full size kitchen/diner. Originally there was a built in larder and a coal/wood fired range, according to people who knew the houses when originally built. The range chimney is a bit of a pain in the arse as when the wind is in the wrong direction the rain comes down, bringing a cascade of soot, and sometimes in spring hibernating queen wasps or hornets. When I get the circular tuit I think I'll install an extractor and a rainproof chimney. On the other hand the people who want the house after I'm dead asked if I would knock down the entire chimney and chimney breast, which also affects one of the upstairs bedrooms. On reflection, no, they can do that themselves . . .
    chris c

Post by chris c on Tue Oct 17 2017, 23:43

@Jan1 wrote:The amazing Planet Earth Two tonight at 8pm BBC 1

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/ffwp7f/planet-earth-ii--s2-e2-planet-earth-ii-mountains

Rare footage of the elusive animals (snow leopards) that live in the unforgiving environment of the world's mountain ranges. A female snow leopard with a cub ends up caught between two rival males, grizzly bears rub themselves up against trees in an attempt to shed their winter fur, and golden eagles hunt over snow-capped peaks.

Photography is such a high standard

All the best Jan

Finally! I'm watching this, absolute brilliance. And the music fits the visuals perfectly, not always the case.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Wed Nov 22 2017, 19:13

We watched an episode last night and really enjoyed it ...

Ben Fogle : New Lives In The Wild
    Adventurer Ben Fogle meets people who have turned their backs on the daily grind.

More here:
    http://www.channel5.com/show/ben-fogle-new-lives-in-the-wild/

Happy viewing

You can also read more about Ben Fogle here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Fogle

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Mon Nov 27 2017, 17:53

Started watching the BBC 4 new series Witnesses, a Frozen Death last Saturday.
    It's a French series with English subtitles.
    We enjoyed it ...

Episodes 3 and 4 next Saturday

" When the body of a young woman is found buried under a wind turbine, police work to figure out if and how this death might be related to the other murders. Detective Sandra Winckler starts using the same dating app that Catherine Keemer had used in the run-up to her abduction, in an effort to track down the man who snatched Catherine. But is this, and the budding friendship between the two women, a step too far in becoming personally involved in the investigation?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09hgdzx

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13 2017, 17:03