THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
chris c
yoly
6 posters

You Couldn't Make This Up

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

You Couldn't Make This Up - Page 2 Empty Re: You Couldn't Make This Up

Post by graham64 Thu Apr 12 2018, 22:47

I see the angry chef is back to his foul mouthed best not a good advert for those dietitians who look upon him as some sort of guru 

Meanwhile should the BDA re-brand itself as the BVA because vegans appear to have taken control of the asylum

BVA wrote:Meat and dairy products are leading contributors to Green House Gas (GHG) emissions (6) and other environmental impacts and emphasis should be on reduction 2 of meat (red and processed meat in particular) and processed meat products (PMP)
    in line with the Eatwell Guide (EWG) (7) and replaced with appropriate plant based proteins such as beans and pulses, and plant based dairy alternatives. The EWG support increased fruit and vegetable intakes, more wholegrain carbohydrates and reduced saturated fat, sugar and salt intakes. 

https://www.bda.uk.com/improvinghealth/healthprofessionals/policy_statement_sustainable_food.pdf

chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Apr 13 2018, 22:45

I couldn't really discern what was the point behind his most recent ranting.

Meanwhile here's Joanna Blythman on the contents of the manufactured foodlike substances he designs and his dietician buddies market

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/21/a-feast-of-engineering-whats-really-in-your-food

probably all vegan

On the other hand

https://www.abqjournal.com/1144853/lowcarb-diet-fights-diabetes.html

Animal protein comes with fats, some of which are saturated, but which increasing quantities of research show were never harmful. On the other hand vegetable protein always comes with carbs. To make their vegan future come to pass will require the elimination from the gene pool of two thirds to three quarters of the population. This is ongoing.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Apr 15 2018, 22:00

chris c wrote:I couldn't really discern what was the point behind his most recent ranting.

You need to be a dietitian to be able to make any sense of his inane comments they talk the same gibberish as him  Laughing something to do with the over-consumption of grains affecting their grey grey matter I reckon
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Apr 15 2018, 22:20

I was just reading more of their rantings on Twitter. I noticed that "health" was seldom mentioned, and I downloaded this

https://diabetes-resources-production.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/resources-s3/2018-03/1373_Nutrition%20guidelines_0.pdf

but at 114 pages I didn't get around to reading it yet.
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Mon Apr 16 2018, 18:56

chris c wrote:I was just reading more of their rantings on Twitter. I noticed that "health" was seldom mentioned, and I downloaded this

https://diabetes-resources-production.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/resources-s3/2018-03/1373_Nutrition%20guidelines_0.pdf

Hi Chris,

Part 4.2.1 does mention low carb diets as a strategy that is being assessed and will be reported in 2020.

It adds the rider that long term they MAY be harmful. No proof though.
    A doctor on Hyper aldosterone forum told me the other day that low carb diets are fatal long term. Perhaps we should tell Graham! Smile
    Derek
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Apr 16 2018, 22:41

Long birder wrote:
    chris c wrote:I was just reading more of their rantings on Twitter. I noticed that "health" was seldom mentioned, and I downloaded this

Hi Chris,

Part 4.2.1 does mention low carb diets as a strategy that is being assessed and will be reported in 2020.

A doctor on Hyper aldosterone forum told me the other day that low carb diets are fatal long term. Perhaps we should tell Graham! Smile
    Derek

Of course they've no proof that low carb may be harmful seeing as no studies beyond two years have been done but hopefully virta will eventually show consistent proof in the longer term. We are dismissed as anecdotal but I've yet to see any evidence of low fat high carb diets having shown good outcomes for diabetics not even anecdotes

Another take on low carb 

Part 6.2.2.1

You Couldn't Make This Up - Page 2 Bda

Fatal in the long term  bitenails the doctor must have evidence from a long term study of LC Derek or perhaps he is just another that confuses ketosis with ketoacidosis or he could be a vegan  Laughing
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Tue Apr 17 2018, 17:10

graham64 wrote:
    Long birder wrote:

Hi Chris,

Derek

Of course they've no proof that low carb may be harmful seeing as no studies beyond two years have been done but hopefully virta will eventually show consistent proof in the longer term. We are dismissed as anecdotal but I've yet to see any evidence of low fat high carb diets having shown good outcomes for diabetics not even anecdotes

Another take on low carb 

Part 6.2.2.1

You Couldn't Make This Up - Page 2 Bda

Fatal in the long term  bitenails the doctor must have evidence from a long term study of LC Derek or perhaps he is just another that confuses ketosis with ketoacidosis or he could be a vegan  Laughing
    I always thought they were aliens but I must have been thinking of Vogons in the Hitch hikers guide to the Galaxy. They wanted to demolish Earth to make a  space hyperway! Smile

Last edited by Long birder on Wed Apr 18 2018, 10:52; edited 1 time in total
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Tue Apr 17 2018, 19:10

One thing really mystifies me is how Ancell Keys lived to be 100 years old?

I used to work with a fell runner who was an MBE and won the Grasmere sports fell race on a number of occasions. He was a real Cumbrian card and always said about the long lived, " The devil never hurries those he's sure of!"
    D.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Apr 17 2018, 23:44

OK I read through it, one thing I noticed was the emphasis on Type 2 being "caused" by obesity and "cured" by weight loss. Not word one about MODY or the other genetic variants, or us skinny Type 2s.

Of course low carb diets are fatal in the long term, just like all other diets. I have already written my epitaph

"See! We told him fifteen years ago that dangerous low carb diet would kill him!"

I can't prove it of course but if I'd carried on eating my low fat diet I wouldn't be here now, and in the meantime I would have become much fatter, on several lucrative drugs, and with fewer than the average number of limbs. That will be the reason for my premature death but will never be blamed.

Strangely while watching a recent movie about the Kray Twins I found myself thinking they should be played by Duane Mellor and Paul McArdle.

yoly
    yoly

Post by yoly Wed Apr 18 2018, 11:04

chris c wrote:OK I read through it, one thing I noticed was the emphasis on Type 2 being "caused" by obesity and "cured" by weight loss. Not word one about MODY or the other genetic variants, or us skinny Type 2s.

Of course low carb diets are fatal in the long term, just like all other diets. I have already written my epitaph

"See! We told him fifteen years ago that dangerous low carb diet would kill him!"

I can't prove it of course but if I'd carried on eating my low fat diet I wouldn't be here now, and in the meantime I would have become much fatter, on several lucrative drugs, and with fewer than the average number of limbs. That will be the reason for my premature death but will never be blamed.

Strangely while watching a recent movie about the Kray Twins I found myself thinking they should be played by Duane Mellor and Paul McArdle.

They want people to think diabetes is all the patient fault they are just fat lazy people. Nothing to do with the diet guidelines recommending loads of grains and others carbs. Nothing to do with the poor diagnosis of the disease that by the time they note the insulin irregularities most diabetics have destroy their pancreas and that no amount of weight loss is going to reverse their diabetes. Just shame the people with diabetes and create mentality among doctors that only morbid obese are diabetics, so no preventive measure or test is needed for does not fit the stereotypes.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Apr 20 2018, 22:15

Rough estimates conclude there are between 10 and 20% of us skinny T2's a small minority but nevertheless a sizeable number and yet there is no information on how to treat, dietary guidelines  Sad only stipulate reducing calories focusing on low fat high carb which is as much use as a chocolate fireguard for me, DUK does have a maintenance diet after weight loss  consisting of 1800 cals a day a starvation diet for us skinny's 

If you don't fit the stereotypical vision of T2 you may as well not exist
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Apr 20 2018, 22:27

Meanwhile another lucrative number for a dietitian 

You Couldn't Make This Up - Page 2 Capture%2Bcarrie

chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Apr 21 2018, 00:29

You Just Couldn't Make It Up.

http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lanpub/PIIS2468-2667(18)30021-5.pdf

quite entertaining - and short.

Yes something like 20% of "Type 2s" are normal weight, and 80% of obese people are not diabetic. Count Pareto might have had something to say about those numbers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Apr 21 2018, 16:26

graham64 wrote:Meanwhile another lucrative number for a dietitian 

You Couldn't Make This Up - Page 2 Capture%2Bcarrie

Leave Carrie alone you hooligan. If she wants to flog junk so be it. Let's be fair, she is one of the few high profile BDA RD's who is not morbidly obese. affraid
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Apr 23 2018, 22:08

Waitrose to install 'health food police' to help customers stay away from junk food 

Waitrose is training up shop assistants to become "health food police" who will patrol aisles and steer shoppers away from junk food.

The move will be rolled out at dozens of stores across the UK this year, and is designed to encourage shoppers to load their trolleys with healthy options including Waitrose's new 'Good Health' range of food.

It comes as half of shoppers admitted that they didn’t feel on top of their health in a survey, with a third saying they didn’t have enough time to focus on their health.

Once trained up by qualified nutritionists, shop assistants will advise and direct customers who ask towards healthier choices on the shop floor free of charge.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/19/waitrose-install-health-food-police-help-customers-stay-away/
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Apr 25 2018, 23:29

Oh for fuck's sake!

I used to like the Waitroses in places where I lived and worked as compared to the other supermarkets they had higher quality stuff and still good prices overall. I haven't been in one for years to see how much more obese the customers have become. I predict the punters will be guided to the "low fat" products. What could possibly go wrong?
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Apr 30 2018, 22:14

You definitely couldn't make this up  Shocked 

You Couldn't Make This Up - Page 2 Capture%2Bguess 
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed May 02 2018, 22:49

Not sure whether Nicola Guess is slowly coming around. Maybe they will capture her and send her for regrooving.

Remember that study Cashin was always on about that was going to prove once and for all the dangers of low carb. It never got published, presumably they came up with the wrong results.

Then there's this

A carbohydrate-reduced high-protein diet acutely decreases postprandial and
    diurnal glucose excursions in type 2 diabetes patients

http://sci-hub.hk/10.1017/S0007114518000521

Expect to see this ripped to shreds.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu May 03 2018, 23:09

chris c wrote:Not sure whether Nicola Guess is slowly coming around. Maybe they will capture her and send her for regrooving.

Remember that study Cashin was always on about that was going to prove once and for all the dangers of low carb. It never got published, presumably they came up with the wrong results.

Then there's this

A carbohydrate-reduced high-protein diet acutely decreases postprandial and
    diurnal glucose excursions in type 2 diabetes patients

http://sci-hub.hk/10.1017/S0007114518000521

Expect to see this ripped to shreds.

I do remember the study think it was Exeter uni not sure on that though, it was funded by DUK after a provisional six month study showed benefits from low carb they commissioned a two year study which was completed but never published DUK said the results were inconclusive  Rolling Eyes 

Best leave it to Virta then to provide the real science 

https://cardiab.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1186/s12933-018-0698-8
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri May 04 2018, 21:39

graham64 wrote:

I do remember the study think it was Exeter uni not sure on that though, it was funded by DUK after a provisional six month study showed benefits from low carb they commissioned a two year study which was completed but never published DUK said the results were inconclusive  Rolling Eyes 

Yes it was Edwin Gale or similar. Exeter is the home of Andrew Hattersley who is a competent researcher into diabetes genes. Obviously there needed to be an antidote.

They are falling over themselves to find ways to discredit Virta. One excuse is that there was no control group. Er, how about all the diabetics that follow low fat diets, that's a pretty massive control group.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun May 06 2018, 23:11

chris c wrote:They are falling over themselves to find ways to discredit Virta. One excuse is that there was no control group. Er, how about all the diabetics that follow low fat diets, that's a pretty massive control group.

Of course the will want to discredit Virta because they themselves will be the ones discredited when the results show just what a disaster their diabetes guidelines have been
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue May 08 2018, 21:49

Nevertheless it is entertaining to see some of the previously militant low carb antis coming around.

NUSI (GaryTaubes) sponsored Kevin Hall to do a study which he carefully rigged to prove what he wanted to prove

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-kevin-hall-tried-to-kill-insulin-hypothesis-pure-spin

After a prolonged argument with David Ludwig on Medium he has recently relented a bit

http://sci-hub.hk/10.1097/MCO.0000000000000470
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed May 09 2018, 21:27

chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu May 10 2018, 22:12

Doesn't get many replies does she?
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu May 10 2018, 22:13

Long birder wrote:One thing really mystifies me is how Ancell Keys lived to be 100 years old?

I used to work with a fell runner who was an MBE and won the Grasmere sports fell race on a number of occasions. He was a real Cumbrian card and always said about the long lived, " The devil never hurries those he's sure of!"
    D.

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2007/11/04/jack-lalanne-vs-ancel-keys/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08 2024, 23:43