THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+11
Wobblycogs
RANDBURG
Sharon
graham64
cold ethyl
Eddie
mo1905
Paul1976
Sarah
Andy12345
zand
15 posters

The Autumn Leaves .....

chris c
    chris c

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 7 Empty Re: The Autumn Leaves .....

Post by chris c Sun Oct 14 2018, 23:27

Most of it missed us this far east, but it was very windy for a while albeit remarkably warm. I was hit by one gust which would have blown my hat off if I was wearing one, and I walked back to the car with a sycamore leaf embedded in my hair.

Lots more leaves, and yes acorns, coming down, and some spectacular garden type maples.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Wed Oct 17 2018, 20:51

Talking of leaves coming down …

Out shopping the other day, and I bought a new pair of winter boots, complete with soft lining. They are very comfortable and I'm looking forward to wearing them and rustling (well I may kick a few) leaves whilst out walking ... big kid that I still am Razz

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Oct 17 2018, 23:01

They're coming down apace here but it's not a particularly colourful autumn so far.

Yes I've heard a few squirrels squalling and seen them chasing one another around. Used to watch them sitting in the hawthorns chomping down the berries, you could hear the clicking of their little teeth.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Oct 18 2018, 20:59

Leaves still falling down - but the sun was shining beautifully today, and someone was telling me the next few days will be good  Smile

I love the Autumn sunshine, we must get out and make the most of it, because before we know it the clocks will be altered and the evenings will get darker and draw in more quickly.

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Oct 18 2018, 22:37

After a chilly start the sun came out and it's been pleasantly warm ideal for a walk pity I had to much on to go for a stroll, not much leaf drop at the moment though the hawthorn is starting to look a bit bare
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Oct 19 2018, 21:54

Same here, it clouded over for a bit but then cleared away again today, so I went for yet another stroll along the river, followed by the rest of the rump steak with half a head of broccoli.

Yesterday I walked up to one of the viewpoints to watch the end of the red deer rut. There are still a few Stone Curlews around, mostly being invisible or stationary or both, and there were some Dartford Warblers flitting briefly out of the heather and back in again. It's still not a particularly colourful autumn. I bought another bag of runner beans but they are a bit funky, I think for sure the last of the crop.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Oct 22 2018, 00:08

A most beautiful day, and there were plenty of people out enjoying themselves.
    We spent an enjoyable afternoon with the family and grandchildren ... special times.

Of course an ice-cream treat was enjoyed by the youngsters, Grandma enjoyed her afternoon cuppa Smile

All the best Jan

cuppa
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Oct 22 2018, 22:16

Not to bad a day here got a bit of late afternoon sun, stored all the garden furniture away and did a bit of weeding that will be it for a while with cold weather on the horizon  brrr
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Oct 22 2018, 22:33

Yes it's been cloudless and stunning, but as it remains cloudless at night the temperature is starting to drop. I've been making the most of it while I still can. There are now some big piles of leaves under some trees, I expect the forthcoming frost will knock down a load more.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Oct 24 2018, 19:20

Another beautiful Autumn Day, the grandchildren are having a lovely half term ... they've been out and about enjoying the sunshine.

We saw a lovely older person on his bicycle today, he had such a wonderful smile as he was cycling along enjoying the afternoon.
    A smile goes a long way, it's so uplifting for others too... and it was good to see he wore a cycle Helmut. I still see so many out on their bikes they don't. Evil or Very Mad

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed Oct 24 2018, 22:32

Not that good here today overcast and cool but at least it was dry, had to go into town today managed to get some nice looking Belgian strawberries not tried them yet but if they are as good as the Netherlands Elsanta I had last week they will be OK also got got a nice gammon steak from the butchers it was big so I had half tonight it was delicious will polish it off tomorrow  Cool
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Oct 25 2018, 23:19

Yes there are a lot of lovely old folks around these parts. On one of my walks I met a couple and an old lady both of whom I'd met before on the same walk.

The hornets nest in the seat at the nature reserve seems to have come to an end now. Still lots of berries and fruit and things rustling in the seedheads, including Bullfinches which I hadn't seen for a while.

Thanks for mentioning gammon steaks, NOT! I already finished the rump steak and have lamb chops and more sausages, and pheasant breasts, and herrings, now I want gammon. I'll have to go to the farm shop tomorrow and it's all your fault!

Definitely cooling down and more leaves are dropping. I'm reliably informed that as a child I used to jump on the fallen leaves shouting "tush!"
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Oct 26 2018, 22:22

We didn't get out until this afternoon, and although sunny the wind was very cool. Our coats were zipped up ... but I've not got my gloves out yet !

Seeing both Chris and Graham mention gammon, it  reminded me of this recipe ...
    Might have it over the weekend.
    Gammon and Cauliflower Cheese Grills
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2014/02/gammon-and-cauliflower-cheese-grills.html

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Oct 28 2018, 21:39

Oh thanks, I'd forgotten I used to melt cheese over the gammon, and have the broccoli as a separate dish.

Shook the moths out of my winter woolly today.
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Mon Oct 29 2018, 10:31

Third frost last night and the begionias survived first two but last night cut them down cos it was a hard frost but a beautiful  
    day to day.

D.

Last edited by Long birder on Tue Oct 30 2018, 08:51; edited 1 time in total
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Oct 29 2018, 22:43

Long birder wrote:Third frost last night and the begionias survived first two but last night cut them down cos it was a hard frost but a beautiful  
    dad to day.

D.
     Much the same here Derek I don't mind the cold as long as we get sunny days  sunny
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Tue Oct 30 2018, 08:53

graham64 wrote:
    Long birder wrote:Third frost last night and the begionias survived first two but last night cut them down cos it was a hard frost but a beautiful  
    dad to day.

D.
     Much the same here Derek I don't mind the cold as long as we get sunny days  sunny
    Don't know where I got the beautiful dad from? Wishful thinking?
    D.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Nov 02 2018, 21:19

Brrr brrr

We had a slight frost last night … but it turned into another glorious Autumn Day.

I think we are going to have a lot of Fireworks going off around us in the next few days.

We've heard a few bangs and whizzes tonight …
    I always enjoy watching rocket fireworks illuminate the sky with their pretty colours etc. from the comfort of our home behind the glass feeling nice and warm.

Younger members of the family enjoy it their own way! Smile  

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Nov 04 2018, 22:35

I used to love firework night when I was young! The whole place used to explode into action and I kept running from the front windows to the back to see the best displays. Then when it calmed down we would have ours.

Firework sales have been banned in the town for several years now but there are a few commercial displays, One is held in a natural bowl in the landscape to prevent people from seeing it if they haven't paid, but the things go up so high and are so huge now that I can get a pretty decent view from upstairs.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Nov 06 2018, 00:28

We've had a surprisingly quiet Bonfire Night - only a few whizzes and bangs. It did turn a little foggy earlier so it perhaps put people off lighting more bonfires! Having said that, I think more and more people are going to their local town or village displays these days. Fireworks are not cheap!

Can't say I'm liking how our days are getting shorter, with these darker Autumn nights, roll on Spring !

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Nov 06 2018, 22:31

Yes the dark evenings are getting quite bad, plus the sun is so low that driving into it is fraught with problems by late afternoon.

Not all bad though, I realised mid morning I hadn't put my winter woolly on. I did so before going down town and had a walk round the back lane and a further one over the fields before returning for my liver, bacon, mushroom and PSB.
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Thu Nov 08 2018, 15:23

Most of the leaves off the Ash, Apple, Sycamore and all that remain is some on our beech tree that we grew from seed forty years ago when our children were much, much younger.  Where have all the years gone, they have been away for half a lifetime?
    Anyway I got the Worx out today and vacuumed up too many bag fulls to count.
    regards
    Derek
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Nov 08 2018, 23:47

Yes they are coming down thick and fast now.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Nov 12 2018, 15:57

Out earlier today and it was like a carpet of trees … shame they were a little soggy from yesterdays rain.

Having said that, we are still enjoying some Autumn sunshine, so I'm not complaining Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Nov 13 2018, 21:50

Goodness!
    The carpet of leaves is getting bigger and bigger!

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 7 Rakingautumnleaves

But the weather does seem warm for the time of year - don't know what its like where you are.

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content