THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+11
Wobblycogs
RANDBURG
Sharon
graham64
cold ethyl
Eddie
mo1905
Paul1976
Sarah
Andy12345
zand
15 posters

The Autumn Leaves .....

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 4 Empty Re: The Autumn Leaves .....

Post by Jan1 Thu Nov 19 2015, 16:20

Our son visited earlier today, and in the course of the conversation had a moan about all the leaves that had blown down in his garden AGAIN Evil or Very Mad
    He's decided to wait until they have all blown down before he decides to clear it ... could be a sensible decision LOL

@Wobblycogs - yes, it was me on the Mushroom meatballs post, glad you found it Delish! I have replied to you on that thread Smile  

All the best Jan
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Male Posts : 98

Post by Wobblycogs Thu Nov 19 2015, 18:23

Jan1 wrote:Our son visited earlier today, and in the course of the conversation had a moan about all the leaves that had blown down in his garden AGAIN Evil or Very Mad
    He's decided to wait until they have all blown down before he decides to clear it ... could be a sensible decision LOL

@Wobblycogs - yes, it was me on the Mushroom meatballs post, glad you found it Delish! I have replied to you on that thread Smile  

All the best Jan

Jan.

Your son could do worse than allow the leaves to lie on the grass for a while, before clearing them up. They break down of course, and do a lot of good to the lawn.

Cheers.

Wobbly thumb-up
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Nov 19 2015, 21:05

Wobblycogs wrote:
    Your son could do worse than allow the leaves to lie on the grass for a while, before clearing them up. They break down of course, and do a lot of good to the lawn.
    I prefer to sweep them onto the flowerbeds where they make a good mulch. If you go out late at night sometimes you can see the worms pop up and pull them down into their burrows. The grandkids might enjoy this.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Sep 17 2016, 18:56

It's quite alarming how quickly this year is going. We are now mid-way through September and today there is an autumnal chill in the air ... hence I'm writing on this post  Smile

Now, I just love Autumn the colours of the trees are great, the way the sun shines through them (when it shines) and if you're lucky you can see squirrels darting around stocking up their nut supplies... I know I always paint a picture when I'm wearing my rose tinted glasses LOL Razz

I think it may be soup weather soon, I must look out some favourite recipes!
    I think there are a few good recipes here https://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t448-soups-in-winter

Enjoy your weekend and the Autumn days.

All the best Jan
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Male Posts : 98

Post by Wobblycogs Sun Sep 18 2016, 06:53

Grrr! I just wasted 15 minutes detailing my method for low-carb soups. I had to click away from the tab, and when I got back, I got the message 'Document Expired'! This doesn't happen on other Fora! Grrrr!

I'll be back later to do it again, but right now, I want my full English, as it's Sunday!
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Sep 18 2016, 16:15

Wobblycogs wrote:Grrr! I just wasted 15 minutes detailing my method for low-carb soups. I had to click away from the tab, and when I got back, I got the message 'Document Expired'! This doesn't happen on other Fora! Grrrr!

I'll be back later to do it again, but right now, I want my full English, as it's Sunday!

Sorry you had that problem Wobbly it happens to us as well. I reckon it's because at times, we have so many members posting at the same time, the system can't cope.  rofl

Seriously, when I post my (these days decreasingly) long rants, I always type up and save in a word doc. and then copy and paste into the forum. thumb-up
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sun Sep 18 2016, 21:19

Wobblycogs wrote:Grrr! I just wasted 15 minutes detailing my method for low-carb soups. I had to click away from the tab, and when I got back, I got the message 'Document Expired'! This doesn't happen on other Fora! Grrrr!

I've also had problems Wobbly it's probably not the best forum software but it is free Cool You could try going back   The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 4 Thumb_arrow_rounded_left on your browser gives the option of reloading page, worked for me in the past  

Thanks for the soup tips  thumb-up
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Sep 25 2016, 22:04

Not much sign of autumn leaves here yet, but masses of berries.

My tame blackbird has been moulting. At his worst he resembled a bog-brush with alopecia and spent most of his time hiding. Now he is mostly in adult plumage but with a fluffy scruffy head.

He seemed a bit unenthusiastic about the mealworms I threw him, so I also threw out some sultanas which he polished off with gusto. It's about this time that thrushes start to eat berries in order to put on fat to see them through the winter.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Sep 26 2016, 13:33

chris c wrote:Not much sign of autumn leaves here yet, but masses of berries.

My tame blackbird has been moulting. At his worst he resembled a bog-brush with alopecia and spent most of his time hiding. Now he is mostly in adult plumage but with a fluffy scruffy head.

He seemed a bit unenthusiastic about the mealworms I threw him, so I also threw out some sultanas which he polished off with gusto. It's about this time that thrushes start to eat berries in order to put on fat to see them through the winter.

Slowly, slowly the leaves are beginning to turn and fall ...
    I always love seeing the berries - and you often spot folks (as well as the birds) foraging some of them too!

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Sep 28 2016, 20:11

Oh yes, plenty of blackberry pickers, something my mother did for probably 80 years. When I was young schoolkids in some areas were paid to gather rose hips for rose hip syrup. I've even seen people with a van and ladders picking elderberries.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Oct 11 2016, 21:51

First sight of leaves starting to turn. Including at last my Virginia Creeper which has currently reached maroon. One thing I haven't noticed this year is so many horse chestnuts going brown from disease, though one wood has lost pretty much all its ash trees from dieback.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Oct 12 2016, 21:02

Virginia Creeper ... at its best, just full of Autumn colour.

Don't you just love horse chestnuts

" Horse chestnut
    Horse chestnuts really are a tree for all seasons. In spring and early summer there is a magnificant flower display, with white candle-like spikes surrounding the canopy. Autumn, as every school child knows, offers up the conker - a nut that has been used in playground battles for centuries. These 'big guns' of the battlefield replaced the cobnut and snail shells used previously. The horse chestnut tries to protect its seeds in a spiny case. They are also mildly poisonous if eaten, although some creatures can safely consume them. This iconic tree is native to the Balkans."

See more here http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Aesculus_hippocastanum

I can remember looking for conkers ... and continuing to look for conkers when the children were at school.
    Nowadays, I fear health and safety have taken over and those playground conker battles are no more ...

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Oct 13 2016, 20:39

Where we used to live, the drive through a big wood was lined with horse chestnuts and I was mildly obsessed with photographing them, the leaves in spring were so graphic, and better in autumn when they changed colour.

So far not much colour in the leaves of the ones here, though some eating chestnuts are colouring up, and dropping their nuts.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Oct 19 2016, 20:50

Still not many well coloured trees around, a few maples mainly. My Virginia Creeper is finally earning its pay, it has gone not only the expected crimson and scarlet but has some flecks of lemon and gold. A dogwood has gone lemon yellow and some of the creeper has grown through it, and the donkey tree is changing colour and resembles a stained glass window.

I guess the late spring means a late autumn.

Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Oct 22 2016, 17:27

Out and about yesterday the trees were really beginning to change colour nicely ...

We parked near a tree and just before getting out we sat for a moment watching what appeared to be a family of four squirrels having a grand old time scampering about near the bottom of the tree, digging for acorns? Well they were certainly digging for something and the two smaller ones, perhaps brother and sister were having what we would call a friendly family scrap and scramble ...

Another car came by and parked and they quickly ran back up the tree. They sure can move fast!

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 4 Getting+ready+for+winter.
    this picture Eddie took a couple of years ago - looking out of our lounge window

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Oct 27 2016, 13:19

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 4 Rakingautumnleaves

If you've been doing some of this today

Then I think you deserve a sit down with a nice cup of tea (or coffee if you'd prefer)

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 4 Tea-and-coffee-mug98262

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Oct 28 2016, 13:30

Autumn Leaves Can Be So Useful ...

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 4 OAutumntree

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 4 AAutumnTree

Works Of Autumn Art from two of our grand-children

More here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/autumn-colours-and-works-of-art-through.html

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Oct 28 2016, 22:21

Oh bless! I used to put them in my flatbed scanner.

Here it's been a late and bitty autumn, most of the trees and hedges are still resolutely green, but not far away there are golden maples, lemon yellow elms, maroon dogwoods and colours in a lot of other things.

Currently as well as the Virginia Creeper I have a mass of huge violet crocuses (Speciosus) in my tubs and some in the lawn. Weirdly I also have a few spring crocuses coming out already, they're a species but can't remember which, and shouldn't be out until February or so.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Nov 01 2016, 18:48

Talking about some nice Autumn colour in the garden.
    The ever popular hardy chrysanthemums in one of our neighbours gardens are looking very colourful
    they have them in both flower beds and tubs.

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 4 4994d1cf6c9687752bee26f08b7ce2a9

(these aren't theirs I got this image from google)

although I complimented the neighbours on their flowers ...
    they were having a bit of a moan about the leaves, and all the raking up that was required  Evil or Very Mad

Who ever said gardening was easy !

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Nov 01 2016, 21:51

Lots of Nerines around here. Finally the trees are colouring up but very much here and there, also the bracken on the commons further south and east. Maybe the threatened frost tonight will do some good.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Nov 02 2016, 18:58

chris said ... Lots of Nerines around here

Here is a flowering Nerine
    such a beautiful colour

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 4 220px-Nerine_bowdenii

image and more details here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerine

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Nov 03 2016, 21:41

I put in some nerines but all I got was leaves. Other people have banks of them.

My Virginia Creeper did good, but briefly, now all the leaves are dropping off.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Nov 03 2016, 22:47

Pissed off with the Autumn leaves  Evil or Very Mad as fast as I clear them up another lot drops   Rolling Eyes
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Nov 05 2016, 20:14

The way things look here it'll be December before we get any.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Nov 16 2016, 21:37

Finally there are some decent autumn colours going on, lots of hedges showing yellow and gold from the elms, maples and beeches, and ashes where they haven't died, and even some of the oaks are going ginger. Also bracken and birches on the commons and heaths.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content