The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

The Autumn Leaves .....

Derek

Re: The Autumn Leaves .....

Post by Derek on Thu Nov 17 2016, 14:50

You should be so lucky, Chris, I have been picking up leaves for weeks.
    With having so much grass I try to use the lawn mower, but there were so many yesterday I raked up barrow loads, but seeing there are fields all round us I dumped them on the grass verge the other side of the road! Derek
    chris c

Post by chris c on Fri Nov 18 2016, 21:40

I sweep them onto the flower beds as mulch. My father used to stuff them into wire netting cages to rot down for leaf mould.

I'm waiting for the apple tree and donkey tree to drop so I can get them cut down, they're getting too big for the garden.

Did you get the snow yet?
    chris c

Post by chris c on Thu Nov 24 2016, 20:56

We're evidently in a time warp here. Only a few miles down the road in any direction and the trees and hedges are turning colour and dropping their leaves while our oaks are only just starting to go ginger.

The Hurricane was only 19 years ago and people were saying the reason it did so much damage was because the trees were unseasonably late in leaf. Now it's nearly December and they have even more leaves. Not that long ago they would have been leafless skeletons.

My spindle bush did good. I didn't see any berries in a nearby hedge and not many in a tree down the lane. Mine has only just started berrying, probably too young before. They are lurid pink and orange, like a child's plastic jewellery

http://www.warrenphotographic.co.uk/photography/bigs/20761-Spindle-berries.jpg
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4094

Post by Jan1 on Fri Nov 25 2016, 18:37

Wow - that is a fantastic picture you've linked to Chris

I've repeated the link here should others not have seen it yet http://www.warrenphotographic.co.uk/photography/bigs/20761-Spindle-berries.jpg

Berries can provide a wealth of Autumn colour ...

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sat Nov 26 2016, 22:12

They grow wild, mainly on the chalk, or as here, clay over chalk, and mostly avoid acid soils and sand. The leaves can go a remarkable carmine.

I walked through some woods and heaths today, there's a lot more colour in the birches and bracken, and in the oaks going out and coming back, and some magnificent yellow maples and elms in the hedges. Yet at the same time I have four different roses still in flower.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Wed Nov 30 2016, 12:39

Yes, there are still a few flowers ... although I think that with the recent heavy frost that may be at an end.

Our trees have now shed most of their leaves and the branches are looking very bare.
    Roll on the Spring ... Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Nov 30 2016, 22:02

I thought of putting one of these in nest to my spindle bush. That'll upset the Colour Police

http://www.irgardencentre.com/product-p/callicarpa-bodinieri-profusion.htm

There used to be some in gardens near where I used to live, and a big one near where I worked. Round here I don't recall seeing any.
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sat Dec 03 2016, 19:55

Finally the oak trees here are going ginger. They'll probably still be in leaf by Christmas.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sun Dec 04 2016, 22:07

@chris c wrote:I thought of putting one of these in nest to my spindle bush. That'll upset the Colour Police

There used to be some in gardens near where I used to live, and a big one near where I worked. Round here I don't recall seeing any.

Go for it Chris ... a wonderful mix of colours

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Dec 05 2016, 20:24

Oh I forgot the Cotoneaster Horizontalis

http://helengazeley.typepad.co.uk/.a/6a01156f7c8ef8970c019b02cab77e970c-pi

which looks like a fire blazing on the front wall of the house.

Maybe if Derek would email me some of his Waxwings they'd come and eat the berries.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Dec 06 2016, 17:11

Every garden should have some berries ... they look so colourful and can help many birds/nature/wildlife Smile

At one time we had different colour dogwood in the garden - a nice leaf, which would drop - but leave colourful stems for the winter months adding a little colour to the garden.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/11103.shtml

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Dec 07 2016, 21:00

Not sure what has happened to mine, I had an ordinary boring one in the front garden that I cut back to stumps because it grew so damn fast (and collected moth caterpillars, so not all bad) and a brilliant golden one in back that looked gorgeous all winter. Currently the golden one looks more orange. The lemon leaves were good before they dropped though. I cut that one back fairly hard in spring, they're fast growers.
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Dec 12 2016, 20:37

Finally the recent rain seems to have washed most of the leaves off the oak tree out back. This is good as they mostly fell straight down onto the field and neighbours' gardens instead of being blown all over the place and up my back passage.

I walked up a different hill over the fields recently, much as here the oaks were very variable, some had lost their leaves already and some were hanging on for dear life. It was cold enough and gloomy enough that every time I reached a corner I was telling myself "that'll do!" then deciding to go on just to the nest corner. Originally I intended to walk as far as the farmer's lake, he died recently and I'm half expecting the new owners to concrete it over, but I couldn't be arsed to go that far in the end. The benefit of walking uphill on a cold day is that it's downhill back to the car. The sunset was quite magnificent, it descended into distant banks of mist and the sky was many shades of orange.

Back in the valley and the mist had built up into a layer of patchy fog, I had the foglights on on the car and still had to drive slowly.

An almost total lack of pigeons, no barn owls, not even any little owls, and I could hear ferocious shooting going on in the distance. More pheasants and partridges for me!
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Dec 28 2016, 22:30

Quite astonishing to see that while most of the oaks have now become leafless there were still a few yesterday hanging on to some of their leaves. Small ones often do, as does a beech hedge round the back of the Big House, but so were some big ones. Overall this has been the latest and least colourful autumn I can remember.

Awoke this morning to thick freezing fog. Gradually the rest of the world became visible, covered in frost, before the sun finally punched through. That'll probably do for the last remaining leaves.

Already there are hazel and alder catkins showing well, though not dangling yet.

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21 2017, 11:06