THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+11
Wobblycogs
RANDBURG
Sharon
graham64
cold ethyl
Eddie
mo1905
Paul1976
Sarah
Andy12345
zand
15 posters

The Autumn Leaves .....

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 6 Empty Re: The Autumn Leaves .....

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 19 2018, 22:08

Long birder wrote:A large tree down
    across next door's drive this am and a tree across our road just after I drove out this am.
    A really windy day.

Such a shame to see trees come down, the important thing is that no-one was injured.

We too have had a very windy day, but better weather than many places in the UK had.

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 20 2018, 23:18

Well, strong winds were again forecast, and they were right !!!

We currently have a yellow weather warning in force until the morning …

Stay safe everyone

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Sep 21 2018, 21:51

We got lucky with the first storm, it was just a bit blowy.

The second one was much worse here, and it bucketed down with rain for a while. I haven't seen any downed trees yet but there will probably be some branches off.

I scurried up the hill and nearly got to the top before the rain came back. All the leaves on the hedge were horizontal.
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Sun Sep 23 2018, 14:36

First frost in our hamlet this am.
    Beautiful autumn day but hat and gloves weather for my walk this am.
    Goldcrest on an open branch of a fir tree at the back of our garden set about its toilet cleaning it's feathers and preening for five minutes in the morning sun at breakfast.
    We eat our meals looking out of a patio window into a garden surrounded by overgrown hedges.
    D.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sun Sep 23 2018, 23:18

No frost here Derek but I  live further south than you, still been cold though needed the heating on for a couple of hours yesterday  Sad at least after the rain over the last few days it's been mainly sunny today albeit with a chilly wind. There's hope on the horizon forecasters are saying we could be in for an Indian summer  Cool

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/23/indian-summer-follow-washout-met-office-predicts-long-spell/
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 25 2018, 21:14

We've enjoyed a couple of glorious Autumn days … quite cool at night but sunny skies during the day.

What was a little unexpected was the news regarding the Beluga whale spotted in the River Thames

more on that story here
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/25/beluga-whale-spotted-river-thames-rspca-investigating-sightings/

I just hope this story will have a happy ending …

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Sep 26 2018, 23:18

Yes I've been catching up on al the walking I didn't do while it was too hot,a succession of beautiful sunny days but cold nights, no frosts here yet.

You could turn an ankle on all the conkers and plane tree seeds on one of the paths in the park. Some of the horse chestnut leaves have gone brown and spotty and totally lacking in the colours they used to be notorious for, this is a disease which had spread here but only showed up late this year, in previous years they have gone brown and dead months earlier.

Lots of berries of all kinds but a lack of wild plums, I suspect the Beast From The East was to blame. Only a few trees have a crop, unlike the sloes which flowered later and have done well this year.

A Chinese friend with a German husband used to pick the wild plums in Germany and make them into jam. When they moved here she was pleased to find lots of small purple plums so she collected them and made jam. Disaster! they were sloes. I suggested she add gin but they were non-drinkers. She fed some to her son, telling him it was medicine . . .I think she threw the rest away. Lesson learned.

I've seen some massive parasol mushrooms

https://www.mushroomdiary.co.uk/parasol-mushroom-macrolepiota-procera/

but I'm a bit leery of eating them just in case I'm wrong.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Sep 28 2018, 18:24

The weather this week during the day has been glorious and we've enjoyed getting out and about.

But the Autumn Leaves are really beginning to come down now aren't they.

Talking of mushrooms - well Chris was above - I thought this site was good

Identifying Edible and Poisonous Wild Mushrooms
    https://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guide/

"There are roughly 15,000 types of wild fungi in the UK. Our guide aims to help you identify the best to eat and the most important ones not to pick.
    Never rely on one source for mushroom identification, and never eat anything unless you are 100% sure it is edible."

Talking mushrooms I bought some ordinary white closed cup recently which we've been enjoying …

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Sep 28 2018, 23:03

I prefer the large open ones that I call horse mushrooms, they have a meatier flavour, but they're all good.

I forgot to mention the Willow Emerald Damselflies

https://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk/species/willow-emerald-damselfly

someone was photographing them along by the canal, I had no idea they were such a recent colonist. We get them along with the usual red and blue ones, and numerous different types of dragonfly.

First glimmers of red in my donkey tree and the virginia creeper.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Sep 30 2018, 18:50

Yes, there are so many different types of dragonfly...

The reds of the Virginia creeper really is lovely to see.

Talking of seeing … Eddie and I enjoyed an Autumnal walk recently and we saw the Dexter cows I was talking about some weeks ago now ... pictures to follow!

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Oct 02 2018, 22:31

Did you put your number on one of the Dexters?

Everyone's talking and writing about wasps this year but I personally haven't seen that many. I went back to the reserve with the hornets' nest in the seat and all the assorted berries, and I found a second nest on another walk, in a dead tree trunk. A couple of them buzzed me on the way past, as if to say "we know you're there!" so I kept my distance and watched their comings and goings through my binoculars.

So far my Virginia creeper has reached maroon. I must go look at some others which may be further advanced on the colour scale. Meanwhile a lot of trees seem to be going brown and dropping their leaves without the usual display of colours.

The back field is a glorious emerald green, I think wheat just coming through. The first cultivation was done with the seed drill mounted on the cultivator but obviously not operating, they came back and drilled it later. More sowing going on elsewhere, and some of the rape sown into wheat stubbles is coming up apace.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Oct 03 2018, 17:52

Well I have mentioned the Dexter cows on numerous occasions  Smile
    … and here we have the Dexter's

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 6 Dexter%2Bcrop

More about a pleasant afternoon walk here
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-pleasant-afternoon-walk.html

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Oct 04 2018, 21:59

Oh they are cute aren't they?

Less cute was thr hornet I just found in the hall trying to climb into one of my boots. It didn't look well so I confess I stomped it. Not sure how it got in, hopefully not attached to my clothing.

Bracken colouring up on one of the commons, along with loads of rowan berries and a holly tree with more berries than I have ever seen before. Some of the hedges and trees are starting to colour up but a lot are dropping their leaves without many autumn colours.

I walked back along the river and sat on the seat where I watched the willow emeralds but they seem to have gone now and won't be back until next year. Still a few dragonflies.

I haven't seen the Kingfisher again but I was talking to one of the guys who maintains the reserve, and they have seen it over the fields where I didn't go, I will next time. Also I talked to someone who had seen one on the lake in the quarry a couple of weeks ago, but it wasn't there the previous day when I was.

Rooks and Jackdaws are starting to collect on the fields before flying to roost.

Today was gloriously sunny and actually warm again but I didn't see much birdwise, just heard an invisible Buzzard.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Oct 05 2018, 18:18

We did enjoy seeing the Dexter's … and now someone has told us there is a rather large 'mummy' pig with six little piglets to see! I've seen a lovely picture of them, but not too sure if Eddie and I will get to see them ...

It's certainly been another fabulous day. It started foggy this morning but by about 11.00am it had all gone and the sunshine was out for the rest of the day. We really are making the most of these glorious Autumn days.

Not sure the weekend will be as good, I believe there is a lot of rain forecast for tomorrow.

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Oct 05 2018, 23:05

Looking autumnal here the the trees are starting to shed some leaves and a definite chill in the air, I did manage to mow the lawns even though the grass was a bit damp just had to set mower blades higher.

On the plus side we've clubbed together and had the road on our cul-de-sac done with tarmac so after living here for over thirty years I won't have to put up with either a mud bath or a dust bowl even might be able to keep the car clean  Cool
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Sun Oct 07 2018, 14:39

graham64 wrote:Looking autumnal here the the trees are starting to shed some leaves and a definite chill in the air, I did manage to mow the lawns even though the grass was a bit damp just had to set mower blades higher.

On the plus side we've clubbed together and had the road on our cul-de-sac done with tarmac so after living here for over thirty years I won't have to put up with either a mud bath or a dust bowl even might be able to keep the car clean  Cool

Did some of my grass today, Graham, until the rain set in.
    Loads of apples this year and I dare not eat them  due to fructose, so I have wheel barrowed them to the back of the garden ready for the fieldfares and redwing to eat.
    D.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Oct 07 2018, 22:19

Long birder wrote:
    graham64 wrote:Looking autumnal here the the trees are starting to shed some leaves and a definite chill in the air, I did manage to mow the lawns even though the grass was a bit damp just had to set mower blades higher.

Loads of apples this year and I dare not eat them  due to fructose, so I have wheel barrowed them to the back of the garden ready for the fieldfares and redwing to eat.
    D.

Hi Derek, I could really do with a rotary mower at this time of the year my suffolk petrol one is not great when the grass is damp, just have to take advantage of any dry weather between now and spring.

No what you mean about apples as much as I like them they are off the menu, have you thought about making some scrumpy from all those apples Laughing
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Oct 07 2018, 22:46

I am amazed how good my El Cheapo Flymo is with long grass, it has a metal blade which helps. It was the second smallest, similar to this

https://www.flymo.com/uk/products/hover-mowers/easi-glide-330/966555001/

Saturday was cold, wet and miserable. Oh well, the farmers need the rain.

The air was washed so clean that I was gobsmacked how many stars were visible at night. Today was warm and sunny again, ideal for some gentle walking.
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Mon Oct 08 2018, 13:46

posted twice

Last edited by Long birder on Mon Oct 08 2018, 13:52; edited 1 time in total
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Mon Oct 08 2018, 13:47

graham64 wrote:
    Long birder wrote:

D.

Hi Derek, I could really do with a rotary mower at this time of the year my suffolk petrol one is not great when the grass is damp, just have to take advantage of any dry weather between now and spring.

No what you mean about apples as much as I like them they are off the menu, have you thought about making some scrumpy from all those apples Laughing

Hi Graham,
    I have a Honda rotary mower because I have a large garden with a lot of grass.  The engine is still excellent but parts of the metal blade shield are badly rusted. With a very sloping garden 50 yards long picking the grass up in a grass box and a motor drive are absolutely essential. I use it to pick the leaves up from our hedges and trees when they drop.
    The garden is too big for me but we've lived here for 52 years and don't want to move. Can't believe I'm 80 next June.
    Takes me two days to cut the grass when I feel ok.

Got to start on some very large hedges soon but some I get cut by a contractor when they are cutting the adjacent farmers hedges.

I suppose its good exercise!
    Derek
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Oct 08 2018, 22:03

Long birder wrote:
    graham64 wrote:
    Long birder wrote:

D.

Hi Graham,
    I have a Honda rotary mower because I have a large garden with a lot of grass.  The engine is still excellent but parts of the metal blade shield are badly rusted. With a very sloping garden 50 yards long picking the grass up in a grass box and a motor drive are absolutely essential. I use it to pick the leaves up from our hedges and trees when they drop.
    The garden is too big for me but we've lived here for 52 years and don't want to move. Can't believe I'm 80 next June.
    Takes me two days to cut the grass when I feel ok.

Got to start on some very large hedges soon but some I get cut by a contractor when they are cutting the adjacent farmers hedges.

I suppose its good exercise!
    Derek

That's tough Derek sounds like hard work pity you haven't got a ride on mower, luckily for me the lawns are not to big a large percentage  of land I own is a small wood on a steep slope which these days is left to nature though I do need some trees lopping when I can afford it  bitenails
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Oct 10 2018, 22:21

My Virginia Creeper is gradually turning from maroon to scarlet. One down the road which tumbles down a tall wall is currently looking amazing. My golden dogwood is a fine lemon yellow and there is some ivy on the railway viaduct which is a combination of lime and lemon, probably a garden escape. Ash keys are hanging in big bunches looking like dead bats. Himalayan balsam ("policemen's helmets") has really invaded the rivers and streams but is still providing food for some small bumble bees.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Oct 11 2018, 18:18

After yesterdays lovely weather, we've had some rain today.
    We also have oak leaves and acorns falling, falling everywhere … it's that time of year!

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Oct 14 2018, 18:43

Storm Callum has certainly hit many areas of the UK with fatalities being reported.
    We have had a lot of wind and rain, but it seems to be passing through now.

I don't know how it's been for any of our readers?

On a lighter note I watched a squirrel tucking into a red berry earlier this afternoon ... he seemed to be enjoying it.

Stay safe and warm

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Oct 14 2018, 22:34

Yes Storm Callum hit us strong winds and persistent heavy rain yesterday and Friday I've not heard any reports of damage and my fencing panels have survived, weather a lot better today and the forecast for the week ahead is looking good  Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content