THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
Jan1
Derek
Sharon
mo1905
Paul1976
Andy12345
10 posters

Have a Chat

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Have a Chat - Page 4 Empty Re: Have a Chat

Post by graham64 Wed Apr 06 2016, 21:55

So far so good for me not had a cold or any other lurgy for over a year, keeping my fingers crossed school holidays start next week and I'm tasked with child minding duties  bitenails hopefully the kids won't have brought home any bugs from school to pass on to me.

Things are not to bad now they're older the worst times were when they were at the nursery and also the infants school snotty noses were rife then Sad
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Apr 06 2016, 22:33

When my mother first started teaching she used to get hit with all manner of infections, but they wore off over time presumably as she became immune to the things that were infecting the kids. I've also heard the same tale from shop workers and others exposed to The Public.

It's far from uncommon for low carbers to avoid no end of other diseases. I suspect our currently revised Eatwell Plate will further increase the levels of all manner of other things.

OMG have you seen the latest crap on the news about the Diabetes Epidemic? 400% increase since the 1980s, which curiously was the time when low fat diets first became mainstream. They STILL haven't twigged. Sad

And I found this recently, Elliott Joslin would be spinning in his grave. Someone I knew went to Joslin and was given the same crap many of our nurses hand out over here, "If you test your blood after eating, of course it will be high, you're diabetic! You should wait until it goes back down again before testing!" 

I'm convinced brain transplants have been secretly happening for decades now, you can tell this from the number of post-operative brain donors.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Fri Apr 08 2016, 18:42

After over a week I am on the mend. So bad have I been feeling, I have not had a glass of wine until tonight affraid over a week without booze, how did I survive ? I reckon around 5000 calorie reduction, the weight has fell off me rofl seriously. More sevens on the meter than usual, but slowly coming down. As usual I blame Graham. mrgreen
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Apr 08 2016, 21:59

Eddie wrote:After over a week I am on the mend. So bad have I been feeling, I have not had a glass of wine until tonight affraid over a week without booze, how did I survive ? I reckon around 5000 calorie reduction, the weight has fell off me rofl seriously. More sevens on the meter than usual, but slowly coming down. As usual I blame Graham. mrgreen

You should have tried night nurse  sick

chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Apr 09 2016, 20:56

According to the doctor there's been Norovirus around these parts, probably what I caught. I was lucky, one day crapping, one day feeling like crap and now I am pretty much recovered.

Sympathies, Eddie! Hope you don't mind, I drank your wine for you.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sat Apr 09 2016, 23:28

chris c wrote:According to the doctor there's been Norovirus around these parts, probably what I caught. I was lucky, one day crapping, one day feeling like crap and now I am pretty much recovered.

Oh come on Chris don't waste your sympathy on Eddie he's just suffering from a touch of man flu brrr  and he's milking it,  if anyone need sympathy it's Jan she's the one who's got to put up with him Neutral
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Apr 10 2016, 14:46

graham64 wrote:
    chris c wrote:According to the doctor there's been Norovirus around these parts, probably what I caught. I was lucky, one day crapping, one day feeling like crap and now I am pretty much recovered.

Oh come on Chris don't waste your sympathy on Eddie he's just suffering from a touch of man flu brrr  and he's milking it,  if anyone need sympathy it's Jan she's the one who's got to put up with him Neutral

That's rich coming from you Graham the UK's number one hypochondriac. affraid Good job you get free prescriptions, Bill Gates would struggle with what you cost the NHS. rofl What with you and Sidney couch
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Apr 10 2016, 23:43

He's back!
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Apr 11 2016, 21:57

Eddie wrote:
    graham64 wrote:

That's rich coming from you Graham the UK's number one hypochondriac. affraid Good job you get free prescriptions, Bill Gates would struggle with what you cost the NHS. rofl What with you and Sidney couch

Don't be silly I don't have time to be unwell far to busy and no one around to cater for my every needs unlike a malingerer like you Sleep
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Apr 12 2016, 14:25

graham64 wrote:
    Eddie wrote:
    graham64 wrote:

Don't be silly I don't have time to be unwell far to busy and no one around to cater for my every needs unlike a malingerer like you Sleep

A man needs a maid.

graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed Apr 13 2016, 21:44

Eddie wrote:A man needs a maid.

And your maid needs to know her limits Neutral

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sun Apr 17 2016, 10:14

Don't Sundays come around quickly?

I noticed our newest member Anna signed in earlier and has posted ...
    A warm welcome to the forum Anna - hope you have a great day  sunny

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed May 04 2016, 18:14

I can remember I used to love visiting fun fairs and circuses when I was growing up, and have happy memories of coconut shies, roundabouts, big dippers ... laughing at clowns (although some found them scary) and watching the trapeze artists.

I guess in all there was a small element of risk, but perhaps not as much as there seems to be now.

I am probably at an age when trips to Alton Towers, Thorpe Park etc are not on my travel itinerary!!!
    But many do go and pay what seems an enormously large entrance fee and then enjoy the fun and thrills.

These days it appears these thrills are getting more dangerous - take what happened this weekend for example.

Riders left dangling from Alton Towers rollercoaster

The Galactica ride is said to have 'flooded' when the incident occurred

Bank Holiday visitors to Alton Towers were left terrified after being left hanging upside down from a ride for 30 minutes in the rain.

The Galactica rollercoaster only re-opened in March.

Have a Chat - Page 4 C4WNNJ

See more here
    http://travel.aol.co.uk/2016/05/03/riders-left-dangling-from-alton-towers-rollercoaster-galactica/

Think I may stick to a walk in the park - how about you?

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed May 04 2016, 23:40

I've heard complaints from families going to Alton Towers, Disneyland and other such child-friendly attractions that they spent most of their time queueing. I'm sure Dreamland in Margate wasn't that bad, but that was nearly 60 years ago.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri May 06 2016, 11:33

As a child I can remember visits to Margate ... the Southend lights ... and Hampstead Heath Fair !!!

The swingboats at Hampstead Heath Fair was about the most 'dangerous' ride I can remember - and I have never been keen on 'dodgem' rides either ...

Here's an old report from 1946, although it was in the late 50's early 60's that we visited the Heath Fair but the swingboats hadn't really changed.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/hampstead-heath-fair

Memories Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat May 07 2016, 23:26

Ha ha! Classic! Yes we used to have a funfair arrive once a year, with the gallopers and roundabouts, and coconut shies and dodgems etc. My favourites were the penny-in-the-slot machines, which used real pennies.

Most of the rides were electric by then, driven by diesel generators, but there were still a few steam Showmen's Engines around.

Remember candyfloss?
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon May 09 2016, 11:06

Memories indeed ...

Candy Floss was a treat back then, and definitely part of our day to the fair.

Other treats back then was the Saturday Morning sweet treats from a local shop. I was allowed to choose a few penny sweets and then no more until the following Saturday!

Quite recently whilst enjoying a holiday break, the grand-children visited an 'arcade' and one of their most favourite was a version of the penny-in-the-slot machines, great excitement when 2p was won ... sometimes it is the smaller things can bring so much joy and excitement.

...certainly took me back to the fun of what you mentioned above Chris "penny-in-the-slot machines, which used real pennies."

How about catch a duck? Does anyone remember that too!

Happy Days indeed Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue May 10 2016, 10:38

It's usually always fun when you visit the beach isn't it?

Not for these unfortunate few ...

Have a Chat - Page 4 Cars

40 cars submerged after high tide at Wales beach car park

Drivers caught out by 29.5ft high tide at Welsh beach

Around 40 cars were left submerged in the sea after being caught out by rising tide at a beach car park in north Wales on Sunday.

Wales Online reports that there were signs warning motorists that the car park was closed, however the 40 vehicles, including a horse box, were left under water after a 29.5ft high tide peaked at 12.40pm.

The incident occurred in Talacre in Flintshire. There was reportedly a sign that read, "Sorry beach closed for vehicles due to high tide" on a gate which was allegedly left open.

Talacre Business Group chairman Lyndon Mulhearn, who has owned the local Sandancer Amusements for nearly 30 years, said it showed alternative parking must be a priority.

According to the Mirror, he said: "I saw the gate (at the car park) had been left open, I'm not sure why, it was closed on Saturday.

"But people who don't know just drive in and park and obviously lots of them have got caught out.

"This proves there is an urgent need for a common sense solution to this ongoing problem."

A rescue team and North Wales Police were called to the scene, but most motorists were able to drive away when the tide receded.

The small village has long suffered with the problem of limited parking, with the beach car park's 250 spaces being dependent on the tides.

And, in the next three to five years, car park owners Natural Resources Wales want to restore the tidal car park to a beach.

The Talacre Business Group has suggested a proposal for up to 320 car parking spaces on private land near the beach.

However, it is a legally protected site for wildlife, but members believe there is an environmentally-friendly scheme that could be drawn up.

Natural Resources Wales has not ruled out the idea.

Story from here
    http://travel.aol.co.uk/2016/05/09/40-cars-submerged-after-high-tide-at-wales-beach-car-park/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl9%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D457613

Take care when parking Exclamation
    I wonder has that, or similar, ever happened  to you Question

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed May 11 2016, 19:46

One of my mother's friends introduced her to Bosham on the south coast. At the top of a huge estuary, the tide used to come in a long way and across the road through the village. The pub used to have a wall of photos of drowned cars, despite the locals warning people what was about to happen.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu May 12 2016, 11:36

Bosham and all around the Chichester Harbour area is a great place to visit.

Emsworth is nice too , a fishing village with a long history of connections with the sea: fishing, boat building and oystering. The village itself is picturesque with narrow streets, Georgian houses, high walled gardens, a good selection of village shops and restaurants. The pretty mill ponds are home to a variety of wildlife. A visit to this unique village is a must for all harbour lovers.

http://www.conservancy.co.uk/page/villages/351

Sunny days and nice visits ... very good indeed Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat May 21 2016, 00:13

Not sure we ever "did" Emsworth. We visited the Roman palace at Fishbourne though.

Another of mother's favourites was [url=http://ukbeaches.guide/beach-guide/Europe/UK/West Sussex/Littlehampton/Climping/384]Climping[/url], another of the few south coast places that is still relatively wild.

My father wasn't that fond of the seaside, except for Newhaven (never Seaford!) where he used to fish off the pier and sometimes from boats. His other favourite was Barton (and sometimes Milford and Mudeford).

I used to go to Keyhaven (before it got so full) and Pennington, and Arne, when we were in the New Forest.

The East Coast here is the exact opposite of the South Coast - wild from end to end, with just the occasional town like Southwold or Aldeburgh.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun May 22 2016, 14:19

Thanks for those links Chris (readers you must sign in to see them).

We are fortunate to have so many lovely seaside areas throughout the UK, which are fairly easy to access. Whether it's for a nice walk or for what used to be for many the traditional seaside visit complete with buckets and spades.

I think each coastline offers so much, but these days roads etc are far busier so it may be best to visit the more popular areas out of the main school holiday times ... if you can.

Some family members were in Emsworth yesterday for the relay race raising money for Sebastian's Action Trust, see here http://www.emsworthrelay.org.uk/

Have a Chat - Page 4 Header

Whether it be seaside, countryside or towns the UK does have a lot to offer - wouldn't you agree ?

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue May 24 2016, 23:10

Yes even Southwold gets busy during Bank Holidays and midsummer, and I once went to Walberswick but it was closed - literally, the road was closed because the car parks were full.

You set me reminiscing about some of the other places I recall, Kimmeridge Bay and Lulworth Cove from our New Forest holidays, and later several other places on the Dorset and Devon coasts. Then there was loads of peace and tranquillity on the North East coast, between Lindisfarne and Scarborough, including some awesome castles. There used to be beaches covered in coal spoil (remember Get Carter?) which are now clean.

Then Tenby in West Wales was cute, and Saundersfoot even cuter, and somewhere up near Fishguard (St David's point? - can't find my atlas) the sea cliffs were like a garden of wildflowers, including bluebells right out in the open, with black rabbits, Choughs on the clifftops and Peregrines wheeling over the ocean. Once I saw what I thought was an albatross but actually it was a gannet, for some reason it looked much bigger.

Fish Van Man is having his annual holiday next week and going to Somerset. This means I have an excuse to visit the smokehouse in Orford and stock up on bloaters and smoked cods roe. And walk along the sea wall.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat May 28 2016, 13:41

Enjoy your walk along the sea wall Chris ... it certainly sounds a great place to walk

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat May 28 2016, 13:52

I just couldn't resist posting this!

I've heard of visits to vineyards ... but now there will be theme parks with a wine theme affraid

"Wine theme park opens in France (cheers to that!)

La Cité du Vin set to open in Bordeaux

Get ready for all your prayers to be answered at once - France is opening a wine theme park.

Yep, the shrine to wine - officially called La Cité du Vin - opens its doors on 1 June and is located on the banks of the Garonne River in Bordeaux.

The 14,000 m2 building, designed by the architects Nicolas Desmazieres and Anouk Legendre, is a sort of museum-meets-theme-park with three tasting areas and a panoramic restaurant on the seventh floor.

There's also workshops, a 250-seater auditorium for performance, concerts, screenings, conferences and debates, and 19 different themed spaces, most of which are interactive, reports CNBC.

The construction is the first of its kind, and took seven years to complete at a cost of 81 million euros.

The City of Wine will also offer tours to the famous wine-growing regions in Bordeaux, visiting beautiful vineyards with, of course, tastings along the way.

The Metro reports that, while there's no roller coasters, there's also a boat ride that "mimics a wine merchant's journey around the world".

Bags packed already? We don't blame you."

Article seen here
    http://travel.aol.co.uk/2016/05/28/wine-theme-park-opens-france-bordeaux/

I'm not too sure on the design of the building? Any views ... do please share them here.

Have a Chat - Page 4 Merlot-the-most-approachable-red-wine-750x400

Cheers

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 02:29