The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Have a Chat

Eddie

Male Posts : 3722

Re: Have a Chat

Post by Eddie on Mon Mar 07 2016, 17:45

Stand by for the most boring post I have ever posted, I started decorating our kitchen today. After two months of complete hibernation, I painted the kitchen ceiling today, rivetingly exciting eh. I have read so many books over the last two months and watched so many fishing videos, I am numb. I never work this time of year and now carrying some excess blubber. affraid  I am lucky I can drop weight at will, I only need to prize my arse off the sofa and drop the calories big time. A reduction of three to five thousand calories per week (goodbye wine for a while) and drop carbs to minus 30 per day and bob's your uncle, 32-34 waist and smug git.  mrgreen

Standby for when I paint the kitchen walls and re-silicon around the work tops, not to be missed for all you adrenalin freaks.  rofl

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    chris c

Post by chris c on Tue Mar 08 2016, 23:43

Sod that, I'm getting professionals in!

It was bad enough waiting for my ex-wife to make my mind up for me, now I'm dependent on someone else's wife - the people who want my house after I'm gone. She did make a good point though - the ethnic wooden shaker-style stuff I liked is much harder to keep clean than the modern shiny stuff.
    Eddie

Post by Eddie on Wed Mar 09 2016, 18:34

Following on from my electrifying post about painting the kitchen ceiling (anyone remember that oaf Duggie at the flog re. his house renovation) yesterday was a no no, due to Jan booking me to photograph a rugby match. The venue had snow during the morning and got colder during the day. So, I very near froze to death yesterday, but back on the decorating today.

It should have been plain sailing, not ceiling, that looks great, I used Dulux on the ceiling. Not long ago I was in Screw-Fix and bought a ten litre tub of matt white emulsion for £15, cheap at twice the price I thought, it's complete crap, three coats on the walls and I am not happy with the finish or colour. Back out tomorrow for some top of the range Dulux paint methinks.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother, but she who must be obeyed rules the roost around here, and when she says jump, I know the dossing around game is over. affraid Roll on Christmas. mrgreen and my annual two months hibernation.

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2303

Post by mo1905 on Thu Mar 10 2016, 09:30

I've made the same mistake Eddie. Lovely ivory emulsion from Wilkinson's ! 18 coats later.......

Female Posts : 4020

Post by Jan1 on Fri Mar 11 2016, 17:54

... well, I'm sure readers will be pleased to know that the decorating is going well sunny  lol!  

But it's Friday night - soon be time to chill out - and enjoy a great dinner cooked in a sparkling white kitchen.

I'd better not mark the walls Eddie would not be too pleased Evil or Very Mad .

Glass of wine dear Question

Enjoy your evening everybody

All the best Jan
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2431

Post by Paul1976 on Fri Mar 11 2016, 18:04

@Jan1 wrote:... well, I'm sure readers will be pleased to know that the decorating is going well sunny  lol!  

But it's Friday night - soon be time to chill out - and enjoy a great dinner cooked in a sparkling white kitchen.

All the best Jan

Happy friday Jan and Eddie! beer I take it Eddie got his wallet out in the end and bought the dulux! woot lol!

Post by Eddie on Fri Mar 11 2016, 18:17

@Paul1976 wrote:
    @Jan1 wrote:... well, I'm sure readers will be pleased to know that the decorating is going well sunny  lol!  

All the best Jan

Happy friday Jan and Eddie! beer   I take it Eddie got his wallet out in the end and bought the dulux!  woot lol!

Mo said "I've made the same mistake Eddie. Lovely ivory emulsion from Wilkinson's ! 18 coats later......."

Never buy cheap paint, a total false economy, at my age and state of decrepitude I should have known better. affraid  For around twenty years we paid pro's to do the job, but London labour rates are eye watering and we can't afford to pay them. The bottom line I have enjoyed doing some manual labour and feel as fit as a butchers dog. I need to get off my arse more often. Kitchen almost finished, looking forward to painting the hall this weekend. I bet you can't wait to hear how that is going eh. It might sound boring to you, but at my age, decorating is an extreme sport. rofl

Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Fri Mar 18 2016, 19:31

Well ... where has this week gone?
    I can't believe it was last Friday that one of us signed in to 'have a chat' ...

Of course there have been plenty of other posts to read ...

Do you know we are now up to 22199 - in fact this post may be number 22200, unless someone beats me to it. LOL!

So thanks to everyone who takes the time to post and read - and there are many readers.

Enjoy your Friday evening, and I wonder, will you be taking part or enjoying Sport Relief TV Question

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Fri Mar 18 2016, 19:33

@Jan1 wrote:Well ... where has this week gone?
    I can't believe it was last Friday that one of us signed in to 'have a chat' ...

Do you know we are now up to 22199 - in fact this post may be number 22200, unless someone beats me to it. LOL!

So thanks to everyone who takes the time to post and read - and there are many readers.

Enjoy your Friday evening, and I wonder, will you be taking part or enjoying Sport Relief TV Question

All the best Jan

Apologies everyone couldn't help cheering it was the 22200th post cheers cheers cheers

All the best Jan
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2303

Post by mo1905 on Fri Mar 18 2016, 20:44

Congrats Jan ! Some big numbers there ! Who would have thought eh :-)

Post by Eddie on Sat Mar 19 2016, 15:31

@Jan1 wrote:
    @Jan1 wrote:Well ... where has this week gone?

All the best Jan

Apologies everyone couldn't help cheering it was the 22200th post cheers cheers cheers

All the best Jan

Yes, we are officially Europe's most exclusive diabetes forum, no deadbeats in this place rofl We are certainly not 'The Global Gullible Diabetes Community' rofl

Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Mar 22 2016, 17:29

Just had to share this

Two of our wonderful grand-children following in their Daddy's footsteps - he is a professional photographer... and who knows?

I thought is was great ... but then I would, wouldn't I ...

All the best Jan

Photo also here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/brighton-bleasdale-brilliant-broccoli.html
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Mar 23 2016, 21:19

Ah bless!

When I was that age I had a Brownie. They can't touch you for it. Later my father bought me a Kodak which was a cheap copy of his Agfa Silette. My first proper camera was a Praktica, then an Olympus OM1 which was excellent except for the fiddly controls designed for Japanese sized fingers. I had a Canon A1 for ages until the shutter expired, as they do, then a Canon EOS 33 (I think) before finally going digital with a 5D mk 2, which I still have.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Fri Mar 25 2016, 21:44

my first camera was a brownie 127 - it was fantastic - so easy to use

now of course our phones have camera's ...

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Fri Mar 25 2016, 23:56

Mine doesn't! It makes and receives calls and that's about it. It's made of iron and is about twelve years old now BUT it only needs charging about once a week.

Sharon

Post by Sharon on Sat Mar 26 2016, 15:03

@chris c wrote:Mine doesn't! It makes and receives calls and that's about it. It's made of iron and is about twelve years old now BUT it only needs charging about once a week.

as long as it works .
    trouble with mobile phones . young people have them growing out of there hand . my niece always has hers can be annoying . ok for emergency though .
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sat Mar 26 2016, 18:36

@Sharon wrote:
    @chris c wrote:Mine doesn't! It makes and receives calls and that's about it. It's made of iron and is about twelve years old now BUT it only needs charging about once a week.

as long as it works .
    trouble with mobile phones . young people have them growing out of there hand . my niece always has hers can be annoying . ok for emergency though .

Oh, I can relate to this ...
    For many... many... many... years I had a superb old 'Nokia' phone and I could only make/receive phone calls and send/receive texts which was fabulous just what I needed.
    It is only in the past six months or so that I have been 'dragged' into the current world of mobile phones. I've never been that techno minded and I do not use all the apps etc that come with the phone ... the poor 'phone provider' can not understand this I'm forever getting texts about it ...

Maybe I'm getting old (well I suppose I am) but life in recent years for all technology has come on extra fast ... well that is what it seems to me!
    It is true the younger generation all seem to have mobile phones - so far in the family our children have waited until the grandchildren have reached the ripe old age of 11 / 12 and gone to senior school before they have been given a mobile ...
    But all of the grandchildren are learning about computers, phones, technical stuff which I think even includes writing computer programmes ... and four of them are 7yrs or younger affraid
    Talk about mind boggling scratch

Now my oven and my washing machine I can work superbly  lol!

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Mar 27 2016, 22:34

The way I look at it is, does this actually make my life better?

In some cases yes but in many cases no.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sat Apr 02 2016, 18:51

Love them or hate them ... I quite like them!
    Some-days computers seem to have a mind of their own.

Take mine for instance, when I turned it on a little while ago it was convinced I was in Canada!
    I had all Canadian news written in French  - did they think I was living in Quebec?

Normal service has since been resumed Smile

Has anyone else had any strange / funny computer glitches?

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Apr 04 2016, 00:25

Windows 95 (I think) would pop up a window telling you it was going to reset the clock for BST. Then of course an hour later the window would pop up again. No of course there was no way to stop it resetting the clock AGAIN so you then had to go in manually and set it back.

Once I got XP set up the way I liked it my box never crashed for ages. I used to reformat and reload everything from time to time because it was quicker than tinkering, but stopped bothering.

Now it's started crashing, I suspect mainly because it's old and the hardware may be overheating, I've turned down the processor and video speeds which seems to have helped. At one stage it deleted its video driver and substituted a really crappy Microsoft one for no apparent reason.

I STILL haven't finished building my new replacement and not sure I'm going to bother now, it'll mean going under the desk and clearing out a load of dust and dead spiders, rerouting a bunch of cables, copying over a load of data and learning another entirely new version of Windows. Life's too short . . .
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Mon Apr 04 2016, 11:22

@chris c wrote:Windows 95 (I think) would pop up a window telling you it was going to reset the clock for BST. Then of course an hour later the window would pop up again. No of course there was no way to stop it resetting the clock AGAIN so you then had to go in manually and set it back.

Once I got XP set up the way I liked it my box never crashed for ages. I used to reformat and reload everything from time to time because it was quicker than tinkering, but stopped bothering.

Now it's started crashing, I suspect mainly because it's old and the hardware may be overheating, I've turned down the processor and video speeds which seems to have helped. At one stage it deleted its video driver and substituted a really crappy Microsoft one for no apparent reason.

I STILL haven't finished building my new replacement and not sure I'm going to bother now, it'll mean going under the desk and clearing out a load of dust and dead spiders, rerouting a bunch of cables, copying over a load of data and learning another entirely new version of Windows. Life's too short . . .

Spiders seem to love living under computer desks, they feel quite comfy in the dust LOL!

With Windows 10 being the latest system (I think - I'm no expert) are others on / have Windows 10 ?

I'm an old techno dinosaur I hate change ...

All the best Jan
    Eddie

Post by Eddie on Mon Apr 04 2016, 20:45

Hi folks, I have been suffering from the worst viral infection of my life for the past week or so, hence not posting much anywhere. Normal service will hopefully be restored soon. mrgreen I am beginning to develop a taste for Lemsips (cheaper than booze) and no hangover. Don't ask what my BG numbers have been like lately rofl

graham64

Male Posts : 2861

Post by graham64 on Mon Apr 04 2016, 21:19

@Eddie wrote:Hi folks, I have been suffering from the worst viral infection of my life for the past week or so, hence not posting much anywhere. Normal service will hopefully be restored soon. mrgreen I am beginning to develop a taste for Lemsips (cheaper than booze) and no hangover. Don't ask what my BG numbers have been like lately rofl

It's a bugger mate all you can do with a virus is to keep hydrated take paracetamol and sit it out  Sad

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    chris c

Post by chris c on Tue Apr 05 2016, 00:30

I was beginning to wonder, I thought maybe you were snorting the paint fumes.

Sympathies! I'm lucky to have become pretty much virus-proof since low carbing, but I'm always aware things are out there. Once I woke up with double vision and almost fell into the toilet doing my early morning pee, and retired to bed again feeling like crap. Don't know what it was, but some virus was knocking people over right left and centre, a neighbour who was built like an ox was bedridden for days.

Have you touched a doctor or been to a hospital recently? They have these free samples you know, I always had to monitor mother carefully after she'd been near medical professionals.
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Apr 06 2016, 21:39

You rotten bugger! You should have warned us you were contagious!

Having just boasted about how seldom I collect infections since going low carb, something weird hit me yesterday. I'd been for a long walk, as I have been doing most days when the weather has been good, came back and demolished a kipper and half an armful of watercress. Nothing out of the ordinary, nor was the previous day's meal - bacon, mushrooms, multicoloured peppers, chillies, garlic, olives and ground pork with paprika, oregano and thyme and tomato puree topped with cheese and baked with broccoli.

I was just about to let rip a fart when I realised it wasn't.

Just got to the loo in time to have a MASSIVE squit.

Today I have been feeling quite out of sorts, had no energy to do anything and didn't even feel up to breakfast until mid afternoon, then went and crashed out again.

I'm sending you the laundry bill . . .

I'm not really complaining, I last had a cold over a year ago and before then not for years, my bowels are usually as regular as a very regular thing, last time I had a problem was when a baguette called my name and I ate it stuffed with bacon and butter - the wheat was almost certainly the culprit - and apart from my thyroid blowing up I've been in disgustingly good health, unlike in my high carb low fat days when I used to catch everything going. So I suppose the Law of Averages just caught up with me.

Sod's law, I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, really I shouldn't go to avoid passing on whatever it is but I might never get another appointment . . . this one only took three weeks. Often she is booked up for over four weeks and "the computer" doesn't go any further ahead.

Well I hope my tale of woe has made you feel better <G>

Current date/time is Sun Jul 23 2017, 21:41