THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
Jan1
Derek
Sharon
mo1905
Paul1976
Andy12345
10 posters

Have a Chat

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Have a Chat - Page 5 Empty Re: Have a Chat

Post by Jan1 Sun May 29 2016, 11:54

Change of subject from wine Smile

Don't know if you've experienced any of the rain showers / thunderstorms that seem to be around, but it was bad in parts of France and Germany wasn't it!

Lightning Strikes In Paris And Hoppstädten,Germany Leave Children Injured

" Eight children are among 11 people injured after lightning struck a child’s birthday party in a Paris park, one of two lightning strikes that hurt children on Saturday.

The incident happened in Parc Monceau in Paris’ eighth arrondissement at around 3pm on Saturday.

Also on Saturday, lightning reportedly struck a children’s football match in the Germany city of Hoppstädten, injuring 33 people, three of them seriously.

The three seriously injured people are adults but 30 children aged nine to 11 were taken to hospital as a precaution, German news agency DPA reported. One of the injured adults was the match’s referee and flown by helicopter to hospital.

A police spokesman said: “According to what everyone present says, there were no clouds in the sky ... so that this incident couldn’t have been expected.”

The children injured in the Paris strike were aged between seven and 14, and Le Parisien reported they were attending a birthday party."

More here
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/lightning-strike-in-paris-parc-monceau-leaves-10-children-and-an-adult-injured_uk_5749b8d5e4b02163fae8eb46?icid=maing-grid7%257Cuk%257Cdl1%257Csec3_lnk5%2526pLid%253D464246

Whatever your doing this Bank Holiday Weekend, stay safe and stay dry

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun May 29 2016, 23:00

I was chatting to one of the owners of one of the plant nurseries (which is full of chickens living in the polytunnels currently with masses of chicks) and we were reminiscing about the past, and weather events.

When I lived in Surrey and Sussex we were often hit by massive thunderstorms coming up through France on a "Spanish Plume", some of which turned it black as night in the middle of the day, except for the lightning. We also had more local ones, caused by the westerly wind funnelling south round Leith Hill then coming across Gatwick, where the heat from the jet exhausts and runways surrounded by water tanks would cause a big thermal.

I lived on the top floor of a massive house and often went downstairs because I felt unsafe. A tree just across the drive was struck once, it wasn't killed but grew wonky ever after. I think the house was struck once, but there was a lightning conductor and cast iron gutters and drainpipes which carried the charge away. The bang came simultaneous with the flash, and I felt like a wind blow through the room which made my hair stand on end and turned the TV off.

A farmer lost half a herd of cows when the wire fence they were standing by was hit.

Here the storms often seem to build up over the fens and head east, they can be huge and noisy but not so often damaging. Back in August 1987, predating the hurricane, we were here on holiday and I got a very bad feeling about a storm in the distance and decided we should head home. We got back just in time, the thunder was continuous and the hail even louder. The whole area was left looking like midwinter with about six inches of hail covering everything: several cars were written off and roofs damaged. It left a swathe about a mile wide where all the crops were threshed and all the leaves blasted off the trees, yet either side it was as if nothing had ever happened.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue May 31 2016, 18:48

Still talking about the weather ... well us Brits are well known for talking about the weather aren't we!

Such heavy rain overnight and today it's been more like mid-winter than the last day of May.

Talking with my Dad earlier, he'd had hailstones pounding the windows and they were still laying on the grass ... not melting. Needless to say he decided not to have his customary afternoon walk today Smile

When you think that in about three weeks time it will be the longest day and then the evenings will start to get shorter again affraid
    What a thought ... Christmas cards will be in the shops again at this rate Shocked

Hope you've managed to stay dry today ...

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Jun 02 2016, 12:07

Did you see this  ...

UK's oldest hand-written document 'at Roman London dig'

Roman tablets discovered during an excavation in London include the oldest hand-written document ever found in Britain, archaeologists have revealed.
    The Museum of London Archaeology (MOLA) said it had deciphered a document, from 8 January AD 57, found at the dig at Bloomberg's new headquarters.
    The first ever reference to London, financial documents and evidence of schooling have also been translated.
    Over 700 artefacts from the dig will go on display when the building opens.
    According to MOLA, the tablets reveal the first years of the capital "in the words of the people who lived, worked, traded with and administered the new city".
    Director Sophie Jackson said the findings had "far exceeded all expectations" and would allow archaeologists "to get closer to the first Roman Britons".

Have a Chat - Page 5 _89851850_89839629

Researchers believe this tablet, is the earliest ever reference to London predating Tacitus' mention of London in his Annals which were produced about 50 years later.
    Dated AD 65/70-80, it reads "Londinio Mogontio" which translates to "'In London, to Mogontius"

It's fascinating - you can see and read more here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36415563#?foo=bar&

Of course in years to come what may our generation leave?
    Emails on computers, texts on phones ...

I still like to send hand-written notes and letters, it just seems more personal to me Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Jun 11 2016, 14:10

Trooping the Colour:

Queen celebrates her 90th birthday today in neon green outfit
    Trooping the Colour parade took place on Horse Guards Parade in Whitehall
    Princess Charlotte made her first appearance on Buckingham Palace's balcony

Have a Chat - Page 5 NEWSbalconycharlotte-xlarge_trans++eo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA

picture from Sky News ... a little grainy, but colourful!

I rather think Princess Charlotte found the fly past rather noisy ... the Red Arrows were just great - did you se it?

More from here
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/11/trooping-the-colour-crowds-gather-to-watch-queens-90th-birthday/

I just hope the weather remains dry for anyone who is celebrating this weekend.
    Some neighbours have the most wonderful bouncy castle on hire for the weekend - the youngsters are loving it!

If you or your family have special gatherings / events planned this weekend - have a great time

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Jun 11 2016, 18:17

Whenever I see the Queen I think "Ah, bless!"
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jun 15 2016, 22:52

Did anyone else watching the fun think "Christ! What a lot of fat people!" Even a couple of the dancers.

I remember someone (Michael Eades?) remarking that when you watched a film from the seventies or earlier, the extras all looked like stick people.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jun 17 2016, 13:49

Whatever next ...

Orange wine made using Roman technique is set to be the drink of the summer

Have a Chat - Page 5 100751079_BNPScouk_01202_558833_Pic_BNPScouk__Orange_is_the_new_pink__Forget_ros-large_trans++ek9vKm18v_rkIPH9w2GMNvrBHlngucm5MflHTV9w6vk

For years, wine drinkers have faced deciding between a crisp white, warm red or, if they fancy a change, a rosé.

But this summer there is a new tipple on the market - orange wine, made using a technique favoured by the Romans.

The drink, which is made from leaving grape skins in juice for a few days or weeks rather than removing them immediately, is fast becoming a favourite among wine buffs and foodies after flooding supermarket shelves and top restaurants in the UK.

It is said to have a richer, more complex flavour than regular white wine as it is fermented naturally in clay pots.

The technique dates back to 8,000BC and was the main way of making wine up until the mid-twentieth century when modern production methods took over.

Amelia Singer, a wine expert from ITV's The Wine Show, said shoppers could expect to see more orange wine this summer as people are becoming more interested in where their food comes from.

She said: "Orange wine is becoming more and more popular for several reasons.

"Firstly people are increasingly interested in where their food comes from, and this naturally influences what wines they drink.

"Secondly it's about food trends. At the moment there is a real trend for tapas-style dishes and sharing platters, and that means people want a wine that can accompany lots of different flavours.

"Finally people are becoming more adventurous, especially the younger generations. They're less put off by what their wines look like, and more willing to try something new.”

She added that orange wine is unlikely to ever become mass-produced or a cheap option.

English winemaker Chapel Down is among the producers who are helping resurrect orange wine. They launched the country's first orange wine, made from Bacchus grapes grown at their Kent vineyards, last year.

Josh Donaghay-Spire, winemaker at Chapel Down, said: "The reason we decided to make an orange wine was to explore the possibilities of our Bacchus grapes.

"We still don't know the full extent of their capabilities and so we're always experimenting. People are always looking for something a bit different in wine and this certainly ticks that box."

Article with further links here
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/16/orange-wine-made-using-roman-technique-is-set-to-be-the-drink-of/

Cheers ...  

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Jun 18 2016, 19:15

So nice to see Tim Peakes smiling face as he landed back on planet earth earlier today!

Have a Chat - Page 5 1466249074-07047b9fe0557c03b854a728f2d6f3b4-1366x1622

" British astronaut Tim Peake has made a dramatic return to Earth after six months on the International Space Station (ISS), describing it as "the best ride I've been on ever".
    His space capsule parachuted down on to a remote patch of the vast Kazakhstan steppe to land on a cushion of fire from its retro rockets at 10.15am UK time.

A gust of wind rolled the tiny craft, measuring just over six feet across, on its side before the arrival of the recovery team, but all three crew members were said to be in good shape.

One by one they were lifted out of the capsule, charred by the heat of re-entry, and placed in comfortable chairs.

Peake, travelling with American Nasa astronaut Colonel Tim Kopra and Russian cosmonaut Yuri Malenchenko, was the second to leave the capsule.

Looking exhausted at first, with his eyes closed, he then smiled broadly and gave a thumbs up to TV crews who had travelled to the landing site.

Asked how he felt, he said: "Great, thanks. It was incredible - the best ride I've been on ever.
    "I'm just truly elated. The smells of the Earth are so strong. It's just wonderful to feel the fresh air.
    "I'm looking forward to seeing the family now."

After speaking to the media and his family on the phone, Peake and his crew members were carried away to the helicopter travel to to Karaganda airport where, according to tradition, they will be offered bread and salt and a traditional Kazakh hat.

Peake will then be flown to the European Astronaut Centre in Cologne, Germany, while his US and Russian colleagues go to Houston and Star City, near Moscow."

I was pleased to see them land safely ... younger members of the family have been following this in various projects at school, as have many other school children.

I can still vividly remember watching the 'moon walk' back in 1969.

Both Space and our Oceans provide for exploration and in these times of media connection it is so much easier for us to stay connected and see for ourselves what is happening.

Puts my exploration around the supermarket this afternoon in a very dull light  Smile

All the best Jan

Story about Tim Peake and more photo's from here
    http://www.aol.co.uk/news/2016/06/18/see-the-first-photos-of-an-exhausted-but-smiling-tim-peake-after-reentering-earth/
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sat Jun 18 2016, 23:19

An appropriate video to celebrate Tim Peake's journey into space

Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Jun 19 2016, 10:29

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

If you are celebrating ... enjoy your day

All the best Jan

sunny
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Jun 19 2016, 21:39

Jan1 wrote:

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

If you are celebrating ... enjoy your day

All the best Jan

sunny

Got presented with a case of my favourite beers and another pint glass to add to the collection, now that's what I call a practical gift for fathers day beer drunken
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Jun 28 2016, 11:54

Well I just had to mention the football  Sad

I don't usually watch it, but knowing so many family members were, and of course wanting England to win I did ...

Well perhaps I shouldn't have  Evil or Very Mad

"Following the humiliating defeat to Iceland in the last-16 of the European Championships, Roy Hodgson resigned from his role as England manager.

So who should take over the reins? Who can get the Three Lions roaring again? A young, talented squad showed what it could do during qualifying but appeared to freeze under the pressure of tournament play, unable to break down the more defensive outfits they came up against.

Maybe a tactical mastermind like Chilean Marco Bielsa would find success? Or maybe England need someone who can instill steely resolve into his players like Sir Alex Ferguson? "

Many papers and news outlets have polls where you can vote ...

http://www.aol.co.uk/sport/2016/06/28/who-should-be-the-next-england-manager/

I'm no football expert, but to me Iceland played their hearts out, and I just don't think the England team did  ... but what do I know?

Oh well Wimbledon later  Smile  Come on Murray, although it was good to see Briton Marcus Willis, ranked 772 in world, beat World no. 54.

All the best Jan
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Jun 28 2016, 15:16

Jan1 wrote:Well I just had to mention the football  Sad

I don't usually watch it, but knowing so many family members were, and of course wanting England to win I did ...

Well perhaps I shouldn't have  Evil or Very Mad

"Following the humiliating defeat to Iceland in the last-16 of the European Championships, Roy Hodgson resigned from his role as England manager.

So who should take over the reins? Who can get the Three Lions roaring again? A young, talented squad showed what it could do during qualifying but appeared to freeze under the pressure of tournament play, unable to break down the more defensive outfits they came up against.

Maybe a tactical mastermind like Chilean Marco Bielsa would find success? Or maybe England need someone who can instill steely resolve into his players like Sir Alex Ferguson? "

Many papers and news outlets have polls where you can vote ...

http://www.aol.co.uk/sport/2016/06/28/who-should-be-the-next-england-manager/

I'm no football expert, but to me Iceland played their hearts out, and I just don't think the England team did  ... but what do I know?

Oh well Wimbledon later  Smile  Come on Murray, although it was good to see Briton Marcus Willis, ranked 772 in world, beat World no. 54.

All the best Jan

This lot could beat the England team.  affraid

Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Jul 04 2016, 11:00

For any American friends looking into the Forum

Have a Chat - Page 5 Redwhiteblueflowers

A bouquet of red, white and blue as you celebrate today.

Happy 4th of July
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Jul 07 2016, 11:07

I wonder - do you use door stops?

Well the couple who used an old vase as a door stop, had rather a nice shock/surprise yesterday.

The old vase, they didn't like and had been using as a door stop sold for £650,000 !

Apparently it was "A rare Chinese vase uncovered in a West Midland home being used as a doorstop has sold for £650,000.

The ‘spell-bounding’ vase is believed to have been made in China during the reign of Emperor Qianlong (1735-99) and has just sold at auction in Derbyshire.

Hansons Auctioneers explained the seller inherited the piece from a Great Aunt who had acquired it while living in Cornwall in the 1920s."

Have a Chat - Page 5 Rare-vase-news-large_trans++QpA018b8Dx6klkOp6rDrmhsrd9BA9pGg5kXRmr3bY7I

Read more here
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/good-news/2016/07/04/rare-chinese-vase-used-as-doorstop-for-36-years-sells-for-650000/

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Jul 09 2016, 11:19

Well are us Brits weird and quirky?

Have a Chat - Page 5 Morris-dancing-getty-1371485140

"Britain's weirdest traditions: What on earth were we thinking?

No country does weird and quirky quite like us...

Is there anywhere that does weird better than Britain?
    Chasing a wheel of cheese down a steep hill, dancing with a handkerchief and swimming in a dirty bog are just a few of the wacky traditions in the UK.

Check out more bizarre British customs in our gallery... "

More from article here
    http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/06/10/weird-british-traditions/?cps=gravity_7588_2239313045151253382

All the best Jan
    flower
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Jul 11 2016, 11:28

... Many certainly didn't expect to see this at the station this morning  affraid

To see what they saw - use this link
    http://www.aol.co.uk/entertainment/2016/07/11/this-giant-marshmallow-man-just-appeared-in-waterloo-station/
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Jul 14 2016, 22:50

Well l'm having lots of fun with my laptops, firstly l'm having internet connectivity problems with my new one which HP are trying to resolve will be in touch with them again tomorrow, secondly on booting up my old laptop I find several of the keys on the keypad are not working Crying or Very sad Hence I'm typing this using an on screen keyboard which is not ideal Sad
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jul 15 2016, 09:49

graham64 wrote:Well l'm having lots of fun with my laptops, firstly l'm having internet connectivity problems with my new one which HP are trying to resolve will be in touch with them again tomorrow, secondly on booting up my old laptop I find several of the keys on the keypad are not working Crying or Very sad Hence I'm typing this using an on screen keyboard which is not ideal Sad

Hope all gets sorted soon ...

Technology of all kinds is just great when working correctly but so annoying when not Evil or Very Mad

And talking technology what about this new Pokemon Go game???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Go

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/pokemon-go-uk-release-date-8409959

Not for me but it is so popular Smile

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Jul 15 2016, 23:07

Jan1 wrote:
    graham64 wrote:Well l'm having lots of fun with my laptops, firstly l'm having internet connectivity problems with my new one which HP are trying to resolve will be in touch with them again tomorrow, secondly on booting up my old laptop I find several of the keys on the keypad are not working Crying or Very sad Hence I'm typing this using an on screen keyboard which is not ideal Sad

Hope all gets sorted soon ...

Technology of all kinds is just great when working correctly but so annoying when not Evil or Very Mad

Thanks Jan, I'm going to do a HP system recovery tomorrow hopefully things will be back on track soon  Cool
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Jul 16 2016, 21:18

That's why I've always favoured desktops, I build my own and all the bits can be replaced when they malfunction. Just buy a new keyboard and plug it in.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sat Jul 16 2016, 23:07

chris c wrote:That's why I've always favoured desktops, I build my own and all the bits can be replaced when they malfunction. Just buy a new keyboard and plug it in.

I did build my own a few of my own years ago but nowadays it's not cost effective, by the time time you've bought the components and added the software costs mount up   Sad
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Jul 17 2016, 19:10

Hope all is a lot better on the computer front ...

I'm going for a complete change of subject Exclamation

I've always thought hedgehogs popular. Yes,  ... they have spikes, but they always look a friendly creature to me.

So it was interesting to see so many people had applied for this job

Hedgehog officer job sparks global interest

Job in Ipswich sees people applying from all over the world

Have a Chat - Page 5 Hedgehog

A job for a hedgehog officer in Ipswich has received interest from all over the world.

Suffolk Wildlife Trust recently revealed they were looking for a hedgehog officer with an annual salary of £24,000.

And they have received hundreds of applications from people across the globe, including from Taiwan, Russia, Spain, Portugal and Germany.

The role came about after it emerged that Ipswich was a 'hedgehog hotspot'.

The original news release about the job read: "Suffolk Wildlife Trust is looking to appoint the county's first ever Hedgehog Officer as part of its campaign to make Ipswich the most hedgehog-friendly town in the UK.

"The Trust's Suffolk Hedgehog Survey and a recent Ipswich Wildlife Audit both highlighted Ipswich as a hedgehog hotspot, with remarkably rich, well connected wildlife habitat. However, like any modern townscape, it is fragmented by houses, roads, walls, fences and over-tidy gardens.

"In what is a two year initiative, the new Ipswich Hedgehog Officer will work to give whole communities an understanding of hedgehogs, the reasons behind their dramatic decline and how they can help conserve them.

"A key part of the role will involve mobilising participants in Ipswich to create a street-by-street network of hedgehog accessible habitat and monitor hedgehog activity; following the model of the 'Hedgehog Street' initiative developed by British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS) and People's Trust for Endangered Species.

"By inspiring streets of people to act together to create habitat links and remove the barriers to hedgehog movement between gardens, the hedgehog officer will help establish a network of feeding, nesting and hibernating habitat across the town. Making Ipswich the most hedgehog-friendly town in the UK will help secure the species' long-term future in Suffolk, while also having a positive knock-on effect for other wildlife that stand to benefit from improved habitat."

A spokesman for the trust said of the reaction to the job advert: "We thought we would get a good response, but we were overwhelmed by the numbers who responded and the international reach.

"Applications have closed now and we're really excited to go through them, and to start the interview process next week.

"The person we're looking for will have an inspirational, and quite unique mix of skills, which will make the face of hedgehog conservation in Ipswich."

More on this story here
    http://travel.aol.co.uk/2016/07/17/hedgehog-officer-job-sparks-global-interest/

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Jul 19 2016, 22:45

We used to have a hedgehog hibernate in the shed, and go trucking around the garden in spring and summer. We would hear them copulating at night (yes carefully but noisily with lots of snorting and heavy breathing). Sadly more than once I've seen them come into the garden foaming at the mouth and then expire, probably slug pellets on the rapefield.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 15:15