THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
Jan1
yoly
6 posters

Not all obese people develop metabolic problems linked to excess weight

yoly
    yoly

Not all obese people develop metabolic problems linked to excess weight Empty Not all obese people develop metabolic problems linked to excess weight

Post by yoly Sat Jan 03 2015, 10:51

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-01/wuso-nao123014.php

New research demonstrates that obesity does not always go hand in hand with metabolic changes in the body that can lead to diabetes, heart disease and stroke.

In a study at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, researchers found that a subset of obese people do not have common metabolic abnormalities associated with obesity, such as insulin resistance, abnormal blood lipids (high triglycerides and low HDL cholesterol), high blood pressure and excess liver fat.

In addition, obese people who didn't have these metabolic problems when the study began did not develop them even after they gained more weight.

The findings are published Jan. 2 in The Journal of Clinical Investigation.

The study involved 20 obese participants who were asked to gain about 15 pounds over several months to determine how the extra pounds affected their metabolic functions.

"Our goal was to have research participants consume 1,000 extra calories every day until each gained 6 percent of his or her body weight," said first author Elisa Fabbrini, MD, PhD, assistant professor of medicine. "This was not easy to do. It is just as difficult to get people to gain weight as it is to get them to lose weight."

All of the subjects gained weight by eating at fast-food restaurants, under the supervision of a dietitian. The researchers chose fast-food chain restaurants that provide rigorously regulated portion sizes and nutritional information.

Before and after weight gain, the researchers carefully evaluated each study subject's body composition, insulin sensitivity and ability to regulate blood sugar, liver fat and other measures of metabolic health.

After gaining weight, the metabolic profiles of obese subjects remained normal if they were in the normal range when the study began. But the metabolic profiles significantly worsened after weight gain in obese subjects whose metabolic profiles already were abnormal when the study got underway.

"This research demonstrates that some obese people are protected from the adverse metabolic effects of moderate weight gain, whereas others are predisposed to develop these problems," said senior investigator Samuel Klein, MD, the Danforth Professor of Medicine and Nutritional Science and director of Washington University's Center for Human Nutrition.

"This observation is important clinically because about 25 percent of obese people do not have metabolic complications," he added. "Our data shows that these people remain metabolically normal even after they gain additional weight."

As part of the study, the researchers then helped the subjects lose the weight they had gained.

"It's important to point out that once the study was completed, we enrolled all subjects in our weight-loss program to make sure they lost all of the weight they had gained, or more," said Klein, who also directs the Division of Geriatrics and Nutritional Science and the Atkins Center of Excellence in Obesity Medicine.

The researchers identified some key measurements that distinguished metabolically normal obese subjects from those with problems. One was the presence of fat inside the liver. Those with abnormal metabolism accumulated fat there.

Another difference involved gene function in fat tissue. People with normal metabolism in spite of their obesity expressed more genes that regulate fat production and accumulation. And the activity of those genes increased even more when the metabolically normal people gained weight. That wasn't true for people with abnormal metabolism.

"These results suggest that the ability of body fat to expand and increase in a healthy way may protect some people from the metabolic problems associated with obesity and weight gain," said Klein.

He noted that obesity contributes to more than 60 different unhealthy conditions.

"We need more studies to try to understand why obesity causes specific diseases in some people but not in others," Klein said. "Could it be genetics, specific dietary intake, physical lifestyle, emotional health or even the microbes that live in the gut?"

As they look for answers, Klein and his colleagues plan to more closely analyze fat, muscle and liver tissue and to include lean people in future studies so that the researchers can learn more about how and why some individuals are protected from metabolic problems while others are vulnerable.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Not all obese people develop metabolic problems linked to excess weight Empty Re: Not all obese people develop metabolic problems linked to excess weight

Post by Jan1 Sun Jan 04 2015, 11:37

Like your avatar Yoly ........

Always good to read reports / studies. As ever more research can and does often help. But I think the answer at the moment is 'the experts' don't really know and as the opening paragraph said  " New research demonstrates that obesity does not always go hand in hand with metabolic changes in the body that can lead to diabetes, heart disease and stroke. "

With many areas of our life ...those that smoke, those that drink, those who perhaps eat too much - we must all try to be the fittest / healthiest we can be ..... we need to take care of our body - it's the only place we have to live  sunny

All the best Jan
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Not all obese people develop metabolic problems linked to excess weight Empty Re: Not all obese people develop metabolic problems linked to excess weight

Post by AliB Sun Jan 04 2015, 15:04

I'm sure Metabolic syndrome starts in childhood, even from birth. So many kids now have pudgy tums.

Although my Mum was T1 diabetic from 16 and there were obvious issues there already when I was conceived, I was born by Caesar and bottle fed with the then formula from birth.

It does make me wonder, metabolic syndrome has grown exponetially over the last few decades - but, so has formula feeding. Whilst not all who are formula fed will necessarily develop Metabolic Syndrome, I can't help wondering whether there might be a link with those who do, especially if they never had any breast milk/colostrum at all.

i discussed this with a friend of mine a few years back who has two sons. One was breast fed, the other formula. Whilst the breast fed son was fit and healthy, the bottle-fed lad had poor health and weight issues. Whether he has since developed Metabolic Syndrome I haven't a clue. I'll have to ask.

Anyone else know if they were breast or formula fed?
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Jan 04 2015, 15:45

"Anyone else know if they were breast or formula fed?" As my Mother died over twenty years ago I cannot check and I don't have a clue.

In my opinion type two diabetes, weight issues and other metabolic diseases are down to three main factors. Genetics, rubbish food (and too much of it) and lack of physical activity. We are stuck with the genes we inherited, the rest we can do much to improve. Unfortunately most diabetics are hit with the double whammy of ludicrous dietary advice from the NHS, DUK, BDA etc. and the greed of big pharma. Throw in the fact so many diabetics would rather give up their feet than eating junk and the grim situation will only get worse.

Merry Xmas
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sun Jan 04 2015, 15:53

AliB wrote:I'm sure Metabolic syndrome starts in childhood, even from birth.  So many kids now have pudgy tums.

Although my Mum was T1 diabetic from 16 and there were obvious issues there already when I was conceived, I was born by Caesar and bottle fed with the then formula from birth.

It does make me wonder, metabolic syndrome has grown exponetially over the last few decades - but, so has formula feeding.  Whilst not all who are formula fed will necessarily develop Metabolic Syndrome, I can't help wondering whether there might be a link with those who do, especially if they never had any breast milk/colostrum at all.

i discussed this with a friend of mine a few years back who has two sons.  One was breast fed, the other formula.  Whilst the breast fed son was fit and healthy, the bottle-fed lad had poor health and weight issues.  Whether he has since developed Metabolic Syndrome I haven't a clue.  I'll have to ask.

Anyone else know if they were breast or formula fed?

I can't remember the ins and outs 100% but I was bottle fed with formula 'Cow and gate' if I remember correctly from what my late mother told me as a child but I don't think she had a choice as she was very ill during her pregnancy with me and had something called 'Toxemia' (Don't know if I've spelled that correctly) but she was told she couldn't naturally feed me...A few years back before surgery I found out I had a rare blood group,AB rhesus negative and I'm wondering if that contributed to my mums difficult pregnancy and inability to naturally feed me,guess I'll never know.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Mon Jan 05 2015, 08:38

@AliB I was formula fed because my Mum was too ill to feed me for the first two weeks and then she was told to top up with bottled milk, which of course didn't really work, so she switched to bottle only.

My first born was born 10 weeks prematurely and although I did my best to feed him myself he was never strong enough to persevere with it for long enough to really get enough milk through. He had some of my milk daily for 4 months but I had to top up the meals with formula as he wasn't thriving on breast alone.

I think there may well be a connection between being formula fed and developing metabolic syndrome. Both my elder son and myself love carbs. We always have. When I started him on solids he would never eat the fresh food I cooked him, preferring the packet baby food meals instead.

My other son was born full term and breast feeding him was so easy. I was determined to keep it going for a year as that was the recommendation then. In fact, we kept it up until it came to a natural end at 14 months. He took to eating fresh food well and I never had to resort to packets or tins with him. This son does not like carbs all that much. He has always left the bread and potatoes on his plate. He prefers to snack on cold meats rather than chocolate. He sometimes low carbs with me by choice.

So yes, Ali I agree that there does seems to be a connection. I think the addiction to carbs starts young.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Jan 05 2015, 21:43

" I think the addiction to carbs starts young "

I think that is true ......I do believe if we can restrict, or not introduce, our babies /children to too much sugar / carbs it does and can help.

Did anyone see the Channel 4 news item on 'Are some people born to be fat' worth while watch I think link here http://www.channel4.com/news/obesity-overweight-pregnancy-baby-diet-predisposition

All the best Jan
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Mon Jan 05 2015, 23:15

Probably weaning kids on toast and rusk doesn't help either.  They'd probably be far better off gumming on a lump of jerky..... :0)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07 2024, 01:14