THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Many young weight-loss surgery patients 'super-obese'

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Many young weight-loss surgery patients 'super-obese' Empty Many young weight-loss surgery patients 'super-obese'

Post by Eddie Mon Nov 10 2014, 07:08

Nearly 40% of under-25s who have weight-loss surgery in the UK are classified as super-obese, according to new figures.
    Surgeons say this is evidence of "a clear failure of strategies to prevent weight gain in young people".

Overall, more patients are having weight-loss surgery and, on average, they are getting more obese and more ill by the time of surgery.

A leading bariatric surgeon said severe obesity threatens to bankrupt the NHS.

The figures are contained in a report, from the National Bariatric Surgery Registry, which includes information on more than 18,000 weight-loss operations in 137 UK hospitals between 2010 and 2013.

The operations were made up of 9,526 gastric bypass procedures, 4,705 gastric band operations and 3,797 sleeve gastrectomy operations.

The aim of bariatric surgery is to improve the overall health of very obese patients, for whom dieting and lifestyle changes have not made any difference.

The report concludes that bariatric surgery is both safe and effective.

More on this story here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29953082

Eddie
    Mud Island Dweller
    Mud Island Dweller

Female Posts : 228

Many young weight-loss surgery patients 'super-obese' Empty Re: Many young weight-loss surgery patients 'super-obese'

Post by Mud Island Dweller Mon Nov 10 2014, 08:25

And continue to eat the way the nhs tell you to eat post surgery
    l am sorry but fed up of the nhs crud eat lchf and loose the weight properly.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Many young weight-loss surgery patients 'super-obese' Empty Re: Many young weight-loss surgery patients 'super-obese'

Post by zand Mon Nov 10 2014, 13:17

When I stupidly went to my doctor to ask for help in losing weight a few years ago, he weighed me and said "I can't send you for surgery until you put on another stone." Surgery! I just wanted to be told what to eat, because none of the diets I had followed before had worked.

The frightening thing is if someone the same weight I was then goes in to their GP now they will be referred for surgery because the weight limit has dropped. This is a wicked practice, butchering people for no good reason. I am sure most of the people referred for surgery would lose weight if LCHF was explained to them and if they were encouraged and helped to do it.

Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Nov 10 2014, 17:26

"The report concludes that bariatric surgery is both safe and effective" This is major surgery they are talking about and all major surgery carries risks. Also, it is not always effective for 'curing type two diabetes' or obesity. I reckon this op should be used as an absolute last result for special cases.

In some cases obesity is brought about by lifestyle, in others, many others it is brought about by a broken metabolism. We all know of a fat man or women that eats the average amount of food and is always on the go, but they get over weight, we all know a very skinny guy, who never stops eating and never puts on weight. This is a very complex issue, not helped one bit by the dross pumped out by the media.

One thing is for sure, the NHS and so many UK dietitians need to wise up fast, and surgery, for the vast majority will not make a dent in the obesity and often linked epidemic that is type two diabetes.
    Catza
    Catza

Female Posts : 8

Post by Catza Mon Nov 10 2014, 17:54

I do wonder if, in years to come, people will look back on these major surgical interventions as a blanket barbaric solution to a problem that could have been treated in a totally noninvasive manner.

There was some research undertaken over 2 years ago which went someway to establish why Bariatric Surgery works and an article from that time is still interesting reading.

<snippet>On the surface these surgeries appear to work, but a new study points out that there's more to the story, that the weight loss surgery itself isn't the reason why patients are losing weight and keeping it off. A new study links the success of weight loss after surgery to significant bacteria changes in the gut.

The most common bariatric surgery, the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, makes the stomach smaller by rearranging the digestive tract to prevent excess absorption of calories. Sounds simple and effective, but there may be more to it. Researchers from the Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard University found out that, during the operation, significant changes in gut bacteria occur. In successful weight loss surgeries, beneficial "slimming" bacteria override the bad, bringing about a new friendly gut flora that encourages better utilization of calories and nutrients.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/040923_gastric_bypass_gut_flora_weight_loss.html#ixzz3IgmAJXvg

I am coming across more and more reports that changes in gut bacteria and inflammation play a leading role in obesity and  our developing  diabetes  so I am surprised that more research isn't being undertaken in this area ... but I guess a short term fix that captures the medias attention is more desirable than research into a  long term solution being undertaken.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Nov 10 2014, 18:01

Catza wrote:I do wonder if, in years to come, people will look back on these major surgical interventions as a blanket barbaric solution to a problem that could have been treated in a totally noninvasive manner.

There was some research undertaken over 2 years ago which went someway to establish why Bariatric Surgery works and an article from that time is still interesting reading.

<snippet>On the surface these surgeries appear to work, but a new study points out that there's more to the story, that the weight loss surgery itself isn't the reason why patients are losing weight and keeping it off. A new study links the success of weight loss after surgery to significant bacteria changes in the gut.

The most common bariatric surgery, the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, makes the stomach smaller by rearranging the digestive tract to prevent excess absorption of calories. Sounds simple and effective, but there may be more to it. Researchers from the Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard University found out that, during the operation, significant changes in gut bacteria occur. In successful weight loss surgeries, beneficial "slimming" bacteria override the bad, bringing about a new friendly gut flora that encourages better utilization of calories and nutrients.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/040923_gastric_bypass_gut_flora_weight_loss.html#ixzz3IgmAJXvg

I am coming across more and more reports that changes in gut bacteria and inflammation play a leading role in obesity and  our developing  diabetes  so I am surprised that more research isn't being undertaken in this area ... but I guess a short term fix that captures the medias attention is more desirable than research into a  long term solution being undertaken.

Ali who posts here, was talking about gut bacteria and inflammation, play a leading role in obesity and our developing type two diabetes years ago. It seems the boffins are taking this situation seriously these days. Could it be so much of the junk we eat today, has wrecked gut bacteria that kept us healthy in the past.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Nov 10 2014, 23:09

eddie1 wrote:
    Catza wrote:I do wonder if, in years to come, people will look back on these major surgical interventions as a blanket barbaric solution to a problem that could have been treated in a totally noninvasive manner.

Ali who posts here, was talking about gut bacteria and inflammation, play a leading role in obesity and our developing type two diabetes years ago. It seems the boffins are taking this situation seriously these days. Could it be so much of the junk we eat today, has wrecked gut bacteria that kept us healthy in the past.

Very interesting to read .....thanks.

Surely any surgery must be last resort? Our modern day processed foods, the additives to both food and soil must play some part in the present  obesity epidemic that is affecting many, especially the younger generation. Perhaps we all need to take an about turn in how we look and treat certain health issues. I feel very sorry for some of the younger generation - Education is key but unfortunately many of the Educators still need to look more seriously and open their eyes and ears to why this is happening.

I think many who read this forum may have their own views and ideas about certain changes that could and perhaps should be made. It is not going to be easy but a more serious start, for the health of the nation, should be made.

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 04:56