THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Is this the grossest, most offensive weight-loss invention ever?

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Is this the grossest, most offensive weight-loss invention ever? Empty Is this the grossest, most offensive weight-loss invention ever?

Post by graham64 Tue Jul 07 2015, 22:53

Pump your stomach after eating a doughnut? Sure, that seems normal.

Legend has it that in days of yore, Romans included in their massive villas a room called a 'vomitorium.' Which, as the name spells out fairly bluntly, was where they'd go to throw up after eating so they could fit in a few more delicious stuffed kidneys.

These days, those Romans would be classified as having an eating disorder - because we now understand that the best way to stay healthy is (surprise!) to eat a balanced diet and keep active.

But now, US weight-loss company Aspire is threatening to drag us straight back to the dark ages with the AspireAssist - a pump that allows you to eat as much as you like before pumping it right back out of your body.

Because that's totally normal, right? *facepalm*

Due to hit UK shores in September, the device works by allowing users to dump up to a third of the food they've eaten, following a 20-minute procedure to fit their stomachs with a tube and valve.

Claiming "dramatic results," it sounds more like something that would happen to you after being abducted by aliens than an idea even on nodding terms with 'good.'

"Once you become proficient at aspirating and chewing well, it takes 5-10 minutes to aspirate a meal," the website claims, grossly. "In the beginning, however, it may take longer to aspirate each meal."

Yum!

Although some doctors are cautiously optimistic that the device might offer a solution to the obesity crisis, most people seem to think it's totally ridic - including Self Esteem Team member and Cosmo Confidence Columnist Natasha Devon (MBE):

"With all the super-clever brains that are devoting hours and hours of (wo)man power into tackling Britain's obesity crisis, you'd think they'd come up with something better than legitimising and medicalising bulimia nervosa," she says.
    "As a former bulimic, I find this deeply unsettling. Happiness and wellbeing comes from programming yourself to adopt a healthy lifestyle and treat yourself in moderation. No-one binge eats because they're happy. This doesn't tackle the root of the issue, or any of the psychological elements of obesity."

And so say all of us.

http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/body/news/a37039/aspire-assist-stomach-pump-gross/

I'm sure this video will convince you of the merits of the AspireAssist pump Shocked Warning those of a delicate disposition may find the graphic content of this video upsetting 

zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Is this the grossest, most offensive weight-loss invention ever? Empty Re: Is this the grossest, most offensive weight-loss invention ever?

Post by zand Wed Jul 08 2015, 08:33

Trying to think of something even worse than this. How about swallowing tapeworm eggs?

Seriously, is this for real? I agree with the statement above - "No-one binge eats because they're happy." How much worse would the patient feel about themselves if they were given a vomit pump?

As someone who has done binge eating for a short while I can tell you that this idea would have done nothing for my already low self esteem. What helped me was eating good nutritious foods and having counselling to address any negative thoughts and habit patterns.

For goodness sake! We are human beings, not machines, I am near to tears at the thought that someone feels so little for others who are suffering that they would even contemplate manufacturing such a disgusting machine and making money out of it.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Is this the grossest, most offensive weight-loss invention ever? Empty Re: Is this the grossest, most offensive weight-loss invention ever?

Post by Jan1 Wed Jul 08 2015, 09:42

This can't be for real I thought ... I got so incensed reading this article when there are so many vulnerable people who genuinely suffer with eating problems. I went across to the link Graham had given thinking it was 1st April but no Rosie Mullender had written this on 7 July ....

But I too am with most people who seem to think it's totally ridiculous.

Now eating real whole fresh foods just makes sense to me Smile

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed Jul 08 2015, 22:00

zand wrote:Seriously, is this for real?

As disgusting as it may seem I'm afraid it is for real zand, check out the link.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02142257
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Wed Jul 08 2015, 22:15

Unbelievable!

I was disgusted when my heart consultant suggested I take those diet pills which soak up the fat and stop it being digested. He told me I could take those and eat all the pizza I wanted and I would lose weight. I was fuming. He didn't even listen when I told him I didn't eat those kinds of foods and hadn't done for a few years. He just saw a fat person and thought he knew the answer.

We fatties are people with feelings too. Grrrrr.

zand
    zand

Post by zand Wed Jul 08 2015, 22:25

OK I'm really cross now. If I hadn't found LCHF this could've been me. Imagine feeling so bad about yourself and your weight that you would agree to something like this. Imagine someone being callous enough to abuse you in this way because you felt so dreadful.

34g carbs today. I'll do better tomorrow because I am so cross about this. Evil or Very Mad
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed Jul 08 2015, 22:48

zand wrote:OK I'm really cross now.  If I hadn't found LCHF this could've been me.  Imagine feeling so bad about yourself and your weight that you would agree to something like this.  Imagine someone being callous enough to abuse you in this way because you felt so dreadful.

34g carbs today.  I'll do better tomorrow because I am so cross about this.  Evil or Very Mad

Weight loss diets, pills and surgical interventions are a money spinner for big pharma and the food industry, peoples feelings are secondary to the $millions  in revenue.
    RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Male Posts : 161

Post by RANDBURG Thu Jul 09 2015, 08:20

This has got me thinking, Maybe I could Bottle the "Contents" I remove and then sell it to a health Nut as "Vitamin enriched, partly digested nutritive additive"
    Pay for the cost of the machine ?
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu Jul 09 2015, 12:19

The more I think of this the more I think this has to be one of the worst and saddest weight loss ideas I have read about. There are so many genuine people who have food and weight dis-orders that need help.
    I do not think this is the best way forward.

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Jul 09 2015, 22:19

RANDBURG wrote:This has got me thinking, Maybe I could Bottle the "Contents" I remove and then sell it to a health Nut as "Vitamin enriched, partly digested nutritive additive"
    Pay for the cost of the machine ?

Iv'e been considering your comment, I think I should go and lie down as I feel quite nauseous at the moment No

Good idea though I doubt it will be a successful venture Shocked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07 2024, 08:34