THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Weight loss programs, good or bad?

Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Weight loss programs, good or bad? Empty Weight loss programs, good or bad?

Post by Andy12345 Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:14

Hi, I've avoided all forms of extreme weight loss programs on TV because I just knew it would basically being using seriously over weight folks as entertainment for others and could hear the haters sitting in front of their TVs

This morning I watched one for the first time, it was by accident, it started whilst I was distracted, but I was immediately absorbed by how nice the person was, it was about a lady called Alison.

Although there was an entertainment factor, the program was done in a respectful way, and really focussed on Alison's determination, she did fantastically well, starting at 26 stone and losing 9+ stone in the year, she did it with what seemed a version of low carbing, although they showed her using spray oil and eating porridge for breakfast, they surprisingly focussed less on the food eaten and more on the exercise, which makes little sense to me but heyho,

Over all I found watching her journey extremely inspiring and enjoyed the program, I could even see a value in people in her situation finding hope, this was very unexpected

So are these programs good or bad? Was I just lucky in watching a good one? Or do they have a role to play? Or are they using someone struggling to entertain and crass?
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Weight loss programs, good or bad? Empty Re: Weight loss programs, good or bad?

Post by Jan1 Sun Feb 22 2015, 14:58

Andy12345 wrote:Hi, I've avoided all forms of extreme weight loss programs on TV because I just knew it would basically being using seriously over weight folks as entertainment for others and could hear the haters sitting in front of their TVs

This morning I watched one for the first time, it was by accident, it started whilst I was distracted, but I was immediately absorbed by how nice the person was, it was about a lady called Alison.

Although there was an entertainment factor, the program was done in a respectful way, and really focussed on Alison's determination, she did fantastically well, starting at 26 stone and losing 9+ stone in the year, she did it with what seemed a version of low carbing, although they showed her using spray oil and eating porridge for breakfast, they surprisingly focussed less on the food eaten and more on the exercise, which makes little sense to me but heyho,

Over all I found watching her journey extremely inspiring and enjoyed the program, I could even see a value in people in her situation finding hope, this was very unexpected

So are these programs good or bad? Was I just lucky in watching a good one? Or do they have a role to play? Or are they using someone struggling to entertain and crass?

Interesting questions Andy.

1. So are these programmes good or bad?

Is there a simple yes / no answer to this question. Well no I don't think there is. Many programmes because of there time schedules obviously have to show what they think is good ..... and this can help, but they nearly always leave unanswered questions. Viewers should after programmes question and do more research of their own but do they?

2. Was I just lucky in watching a good one?

I don't know which one you were watching, but you obviously enjoyed it to put this post up. Is it possible that you can you give a link to it ?

3. Or do they have a role to play?

I do think they have a role to play, but some are better than others and each of us would probably view it 'from our angle' so to speak. Some of course can go completely over the top, so it comes down to getting the balance right, and like you I have not watched that many weight loss type programmes on TV.

4. Or are they using someone struggling to entertain and crass?

Many programmes are seen to do this I'm thinking of 'The Biggest Loser' which I seem to recall caused a lot of comment. However I do often like the BBC Horizon type programmes.

It will be interesting to read what others think too Smile

All the best Jan
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Sun Feb 22 2015, 15:43

Thankyou Jan

Sky living, Wednesday's 8pm

Fat the fight of my life

I can't find a link to the actual one I watched, and it was this morning so must repeat on Sunday's
    Sally
    Sally

Post by Sally Sun Feb 22 2015, 16:42

I very rarely watch proper telly (just catch up things on the computer), but did see one of those Embarrassing Bodies programmes, when I was away, over Christmas.  Personally i'm always surprised that anyone wants to take part in any programme of that type and hope that they are not misled about what they will be expected to do or what will be shown.  "The media" can be very forceful, once they have their foot in the door.  However, there do seem to be some people who are helped by a form of public confession, when doing difficult things.  Look at those who like to document the finer details of their daily struggles with blood sugar and weight on Forums.  
    Sally
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Feb 22 2015, 18:27

I think they work for some, same as any diet/food regime. The things we get to see on TV though are usually the extremes, very overweight people or very underweight people. I've seen some amazing success stories and for some it's a kick up the a** they need.
    I have a friend on FB who won UK Biggest Loser. He was from Newcastle and I got to know him from rowing competitions. I only mention it because years later, he kept the weight off and turned his life around. Quite often we watch these shows and see huge initial weight loss but I would like to see follow ups to see how they are getting on 12months later for instance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2222482/Britains-Biggest-Loser-Kevin-McLernon-marries-long-term-love-weight-loss-gives-confidence-pop-question.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 18:51