THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
Sally
graham64
sanguine
yoly
Paul1976
mo1905
10 posters

DCUK Apply first Admin Disclaimer ever to sound information !

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

DCUK Apply first Admin Disclaimer ever to sound information ! Empty DCUK Apply first Admin Disclaimer ever to sound information !

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 11 2014, 10:23

"Admin Disclaimer

For the most part, this post comprises anecdotal information. Many diabetics, not only on this forum, but all over the world, have found low carb to be the best way to control diabetes.

Before making any major changes to your diet, please consult your GP and/or dietician – there may be medical reasons as to why you are unable to follow a low carb diet.

Please also keep in mind that this diet isn’t suitable for everyone, and the guidelines in this thread are simply here to help you make more informed decisions regarding your food intake and the way you manage your blood glucose.

If you have Type 1 Diabetes: whilst there is not necessarily a medical reason that you cannot follow a low carb diet, please only do so after consulting with your GP and/or dietician. This is due to the fact that you may need to make changes to your insulin usage whilst low carbing."

Despite thousands upon thousands of highly misleading posts placed on the forum, many recommending dubious advice at best, and highly dangerous at worst, the admin issues it's first Admin disclaimer. The disclaimer was applied to the "Introduction to low carb for beginners" as posted on this forum and the low carb diabetic blog yesterday.

The disclaimer stated " For the most part, this post comprises anecdotal information" that is not true the post contained lots of established medical fact. It also says " only do so after consulting with your GP and/or dietician" when they should know the majority of UK Doctors and dietitians do not recommend a low carb diet, countless forum members have stated this in the past.

Within the last few weeks DCUK emailed all members a 30 day low carb meal plan, I posted a link to the PDF on various sites, stating it contained some great food ideas. Did DCUK issue a Admin disclaimer? with that message to all members including insulin users, of course not.

It is my opinion the disclaimer is intended to dissuade people from low carbing it has a distinct 'many diabetics use low carb but don't try this at home folks' quality about it. It is also my opinion Rods post was one of the best posts ever placed on the DCUK forum. This post was at first locked and a negative comment added by Anna a forum mod and then the disclaimer applied.

So, if the Admin is playing with a straight bat the disclaimer should be removed, if not then surely every post placed on the forum re. diet must also carry an Admin disclaimer.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

DCUK Apply first Admin Disclaimer ever to sound information ! Empty Re: DCUK Apply first Admin Disclaimer ever to sound information !

Post by mo1905 Thu Dec 11 2014, 10:46

Very strange that that Rod's low carb for beginners post is the only post ever to have a disclaimer added to it. I've read the thread numerous times and the wording is very explicit in mentioning testing regularly, seek advice etc etc.
    I wonder why Daisy's welcome post has not got a disclaimer also ? If I were newly diagnosed and visited the forum for advice, it would worry me slightly that the best advice on there is the only one with a disclaimer. Perhaps that's their intention ?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

DCUK Apply first Admin Disclaimer ever to sound information ! Empty Re: DCUK Apply first Admin Disclaimer ever to sound information !

Post by Paul1976 Thu Dec 11 2014, 11:17

Something smells for sure!! Although I guess it could have been worse as I was half expecting admin to keep the topic locked and not sticky it,hence eventually disappearing into the archives-a trick used on Academic diabetics insulin thread last year.

As you say eddie,surely all diet topics should have a disclaimer including this one if the admin are going down that route.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/defatizing-info-and-links-800kcal-diet.23135/

The Newcastle diet is far more extreme than any LC diet info I've ever seen on various fora,a VLC diet comprising of meal replacement shakes as opposed to eating whole and real food?...BIG difference!!

Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 11 2014, 12:24

Dillinger said on another thread on this forum.

"Good stuff; and that means I can now just copy and paste that for the new and confused without having to try and put it all together myself"

This means if Rods post is copied and pasted to a newbie, or someone who has very little knowledge, they will be confronted with the only ever Admin Disclaimer ever to  be applied in hundreds of thousands of posts made by over a 100,000 members over more than six years.

If that is not the greatest illustration of forum bias and duplicity ever seen on a diabetes forum I don't know what is. What makes this even more atrocious is the fact the forum admin is not a diabetic, and cannot know what it is like living with diabetes day in and day out, and the mod Anna has stated in the past she struggles to obtain control of her diabetes. I suspect neither of these people know much about good diabetes control.

So, we have a situation where "the largest diabetes forum in Europe" is controlled by people who are not very knowledgeable, and who are obviously controlled by a small group of long term forum low carb antis. We have a situation where complete and utter dietary dross can be posted, but highly useful low carb posts are thread locked, deleted and low carb members banned. It was ever thus.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Thu Dec 11 2014, 13:03

Yes Eddie, but on the flip side of that, surely it means that DCUK also take no credit themselves for giving out this good dietary advice. That illustrates the point you are making even more strongly! They don't want to be seen actively encouraging diabetics to keep drug/insulin use to a minimum by eating healthily.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 11 2014, 13:19

zand wrote:Yes Eddie, but on the flip side of that, surely it means that DCUK also take no credit themselves for giving out this good dietary advice. That illustrates the point you are making even more strongly!  They don't want to be seen actively encouraging diabetics to keep drug/insulin use to a minimum by eating healthily.

Yes I agree Zand but winning a point is not what I am trying to achieve. Rods post for low carb beginners was a masterpiece in my opinion and they have hamstrung the advice for use to newbies. Will they be issuing a disclaimer for other dietary posts? not in a million years!

One other point stands out to me, and I expect I will get no thanks for this one. We have member here who are members of DCUK. They have stated here and on the blog they also rated Rods work highly, are they kicking up a stink at DCUK? No and I don't blame them for one minute, they know their posts will be deleted as yesterday, or more likely be banned. As sad reflection on a forum that say this.

DCUK say "We're transparent and ethical. There are no surpises sic "

As said here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/about.html
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Thu Dec 11 2014, 13:55

As a member of both forums myself I am just so pleased to see Rod's post there at all. The people who are desperate to see this message won't be put off by the disclaimer. I wouldn't be. They will just be grateful to know what they can do to help themselves. If a disclaimer is all we have to put up with, I'm relatively happy about it. I totally agree with you that it's wrong for it to be there but I was fearful that the whole idea would be dismissed out of hand. We were never going to get everything we asked for were we? At least people have the chance to try it now.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 11 2014, 14:04

The question I am asking myself is, how many newly diagnosed diabetics or new members of the DCUK forum will head to a sticky in a low carb diet forum? Dillinger spotted the huge potential of Rods work immediately. Where newbies have been greeted for years with the cut and paste Ken and Sue post containing some very dubious information, especially the NICE HbA1c guidelines, with no disclaimer, Rods post would have made a great cut and post to the newbie. Of course it now carries a disclaimer, the only members post in the history of the forum to do so.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Thu Dec 11 2014, 14:09

eddie1 wrote:The question I am asking myself is, how many newly diagnosed diabetics or new members of the DCUK forum will head to a sticky in a low carb diet forum? Dillinger spotted the huge potential of Rods work immediately. Where newbies have been greeted for years with the cut and paste Ken and Sue post containing some very dubious information, especially the NICE HbA1c guidelines, with no disclaimer, Rods post would have made a great cut and post to the newbie. Of course it now carries a disclaimer, the only members post in the history of the forum to do so.

I suppose folks could do a crafty one and copy,paste and then just delete the disclaimer before posting it to a newbie and hopefully the newbie would get chance to read it without the disclaimer before a mod could act,depending on the time of day.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 11 2014, 14:15

Paul wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:The question I am asking myself is, how many newly diagnosed diabetics or new members of the DCUK forum will head to a sticky in a low carb diet forum? Dillinger spotted the huge potential of Rods work immediately. Where newbies have been greeted for years with the cut and paste Ken and Sue post containing some very dubious information, especially the NICE HbA1c guidelines, with no disclaimer, Rods post would have made a great cut and post to the newbie. Of course it now carries a disclaimer, the only members post in the history of the forum to do so.

I suppose folks could do a crafty one and copy,paste and then just delete the disclaimer before posting it to a newbie and hopefully the newbie would get chance to read it without the disclaimer before a mod could act,depending on the time of day.

And how long or how many times could a low carber pull that stunt before they are banned. Low carbers have been banned for far less as members know on this forum.

yoly
    yoly

Post by yoly Thu Dec 11 2014, 16:30

The truth is that many people are addicted to carbohydrates including many diabetics. Even do low carb can be done without too much deprivation. There are plenty of low carbs recipes alternatives that can substitute high carbs foods and many low carbs foods can be delicious and healthy. Talking bad about what people love and are addicted to just make them mad. They don't want to recognize that they have a condition were is no more longer healthy to eat the way they did before. They prefer to be lied that being confronted with the truth. That is why some people just get so riled up when low carb is mention.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 11 2014, 18:06

yoly wrote:The truth is that many people are addicted to carbohydrates including many diabetics. Even do low carb can be done without too much deprivation. There are plenty of low carbs recipes alternatives that can substitute high carbs foods and many low carbs foods can be delicious and healthy. Talking bad about what people love and are addicted to just make them mad. They don't want to recognize that they have a condition were is no more longer healthy to eat the way they did before. They prefer to be lied that being confronted with the truth. That is why some people just get so riled up when low carb is mention.

Nice try Yoly I am beginning to think serious debate is not wanted here. Maybe I should move on, or at least take a long rest.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Thu Dec 11 2014, 19:08

You are right of course, the newly diagnosed won't head straight for Rod's thread. However, they might if we direct them there.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Dec 11 2014, 19:12

A newly diagnosed would not have a clue what a "sticky" was but, as Zand mentioned, they need to be pointed in the right direction. Sadly, most of us here are banned so we rely on those that are still able to post there to take up the challenge and keep Rod's post active and given early on whenever possible.
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Thu Dec 11 2014, 21:06

Thanks for all the support guys. When the thread was withdrawn for review I was half expecting it to be decimated. It wasn't, but the downside was that disclaimer. I made them call it an admin disclaimer to distance myself from it, and one or two other changes, but frankly if they want to include all that for commercial and legal reasons I'm not that concerned. It's right at the end of course, and I doubt that many will read it - a bit like 'investments can go down as well as up'. What I didn't want was for the post to be left unapproved or for me to compromise my own position over there by kicking up too much fuss about it. I made sure it was locked to avoid generating pointless argument. It will be regularly linked to from newbie posts seeking dietary advice.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Dec 11 2014, 21:35

Well it seems variations of the Newcastle diet are being tried by many on the forum without seeking advice from their HCPs, compared with LC the ND is far more extreme and yet no words from admin about consulting with their Doctor/Dietitian.

How many newbies have you seen joining the forum complain about the dire advice from their HCPs they join to find an alternative, they are hardly likely to have confidence in their doctor/dietitian now are they.
    yoly
    yoly

Post by yoly Fri Dec 12 2014, 10:45

eddie1 wrote:
    yoly wrote:The truth is that many people are addicted to carbohydrates including many diabetics. Even do low carb can be done without too much deprivation. There are plenty of low carbs recipes alternatives that can substitute high carbs foods and many low carbs foods can be delicious and healthy. Talking bad about what people love and are addicted to just make them mad. They don't want to recognize that they have a condition were is no more longer healthy to eat the way they did before. They prefer to be lied that being confronted with the truth. That is why some people just get so riled up when low carb is mention.

Nice try Yoly I am beginning to think serious debate is not wanted here. Maybe I should move on, or at least take a long rest.

I was just trying to explain why low carb has so much opposition no matter how good the information may be. No mas from me sorry.
    Sally
    Sally

Post by Sally Fri Dec 12 2014, 11:08

I have often wondered why some people get so defensive of carbs, when, to me, going low, is the obvious answer to diabetic problems and also has great health benefits for non-diabetics. Yoly is right, there is addiction and a consequent refusal to accept that certain foods must be avoided. There is also the "bread of life" aspect, which is difficult for some to overcome. It's difficult to overcome brainwashing, especially for the less adventurous. Perhaps many of us here are "awkward squad" types, the sort who naturally go against the grain, like to prove authority wrong.
    Sally
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Fri Dec 12 2014, 11:56

yoly wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:

I was just trying to explain why low carb has so much opposition no matter how good the information may be. No mas from me sorry.

Hi Yoly - Eddie is having a bit of a break, but he wanted me to let you know he wasn't having a go at you, please keep posting all your great links.

Thanks

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Fri Dec 12 2014, 11:59

Sally wrote:I have often wondered why some people get so defensive of carbs, when, to me, going low, is the obvious answer to diabetic problems and also has great health benefits for non-diabetics.  Yoly is right, there is addiction and a consequent refusal to accept that certain foods must be avoided.  There is also the "bread of life" aspect, which is difficult for some to overcome.  It's difficult to overcome brainwashing, especially for the less adventurous.  Perhaps many of us here are "awkward squad" types, the sort who naturally go against the grain, like to prove authority wrong.
    Sally

Hi Sally - I am in agreement with everything you say. I am not a diabetic but choose to live the LCHF lifestyle. It just doesn't make sense to me to consume the high amounts of starch / sugar that many do, often with detrimental health outcomes.

All the best Jan
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Fri Dec 12 2014, 20:23

After reading this thread, I was expecting a huge bold typed disclaimer at the start of the thread, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised

If we accept that DCUK is against lchf for financial gain, which is the only reasonable explanation, then rods thread being stickied is a sign that with the mounting evidence in favour of lchf, is making it harder for people to deny the importance and safety of lchf, therefore I consider the whole business as one giant leap for mankind

Edit: I do agree the disclaimer should no way be there
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Dec 12 2014, 21:30

As long as the members there keep the post alive by sharing it as much as poss, it will hopefully have the desired affect. The disclaimer was completely unjustified but that's how they operate unfortunately. There is clearly a distaste for LCHF amongst the elite there which baffles me.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Dec 15 2014, 09:02

Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Dec 15 2014, 10:33

Admin disclaimer issued.

All members should be aware Sid Bonkers is a health hazard and any advice or comment made by the Bonkers one should be ignored. He is clearly a very confused and disturbed man. Sid states he is low calorie (portion control) low fat and low carb. Before hiding and editing his forum profile he claimed to be on approximately 12 different medications.

On a more serious note, clearly Sid is acting in a way to disrupt the DCUK forum and cause confusion for a newly diagnosed member. Long term low carb anti, and ex Kenny boy clique member, and now mod, the Cherub has posted for calm, will a warning be issued to Sid for his rant? no way. Will his posts be edited or deleted? will he be banned for his constant antagonism of forum members? not a chance. Yet again we see undeniable evidence of the way the management operate at the forum. A special few have very privileged status and they sure ain’t low carbers. Over six years on, and nothing ever changes at the forum of flog. Will it ever be thus?

Forum break over!
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Mon Dec 15 2014, 10:38

EDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE! You're back! Very Happy

Good morning Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 00:13