THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Some great information on fats.

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Some great information on fats. Empty Some great information on fats.

Post by Jan1 Mon May 09 2016, 18:44

chris c
    chris c

Some great information on fats. Empty Re: Some great information on fats.

Post by chris c Wed Jun 01 2016, 22:18

You probably know of the late Mary Enig

I found another interesting resource on a blog recently

https://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Health_effects_of_different_fatty_acids#Fat_contents_of_food
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Fri Jun 03 2016, 14:58

Mary Enig's book, 'Know your fats', is perhaps good for the two reasons quoted

First : those who understand biochemistry and frequently need a reference for properties of lipids.
    Second: those who don't know the first thing about fats and would like to familiarize themselves with the basic biochemistry of fats.

Of course moving forward a little it's Nina Teicholz, author of 'Big Fat Surprise', that has caused consternation and controversy, plus good information too!  

Libby at Ditch the Carbs* mentioned her quite recently
    http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2016/05/31/big-fat-surprise/

* Don't the lamb noisettes look delicious too ...

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Jun 05 2016, 22:21

Found what I was looking for but got sidetracked - The Oiling Of America by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon, and The Skinny On Fats ibid.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sun Jun 05 2016, 23:29

chris c wrote:Found what I was looking for but got sidetracked - The Oiling Of America by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon, and The Skinny On Fats ibid.

Good stuff read a lot of their work Mary Enig was vilified by the low fat proponents of the lipid hypothesis and her warnings about the dangers of industrial trans fats were ignored for over thirty years, it's a shame she's no longer with us
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sun Jun 05 2016, 23:36

Interesting paper on the role of SFA on ALD, this is just the conclusion follow link for full text

In conclusion, there is convincing experimental evidence demonstrating the differential effects of different types of dietary lipids in the pathogenesis of ALD. While the protective effects of dietary SF and deleterious effects of dietary USF (primarily rich in LA, an ω-6 PUFA) on ethanol-induced intestinal and liver injury have been well documented in animal models (Figure 4), the effects of dietary ω-3 PUFAs as well as the significance of the dietary PUFA ω-3/ω-6 ratio in ALD development and progression are not completely understood. The role and the significance of oxidized lipids, both dietary and in vivo-produced, as well as possible mechanisms underlying their beneficial or deleterious effects in liver pathology remain to be determined. Different types of dietary fat may differentially modulate the gut-liver axis, including EtOH-induced changes in the gut microbiota. This important aspect needs to be considered when evaluating the effects of EtOH consumption on the gut microbiota composition and function. Given that there is no FDA-approved therapy for any stage of ALD, dietary fat may play an important role in the management of ALD.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4808795/
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jun 08 2016, 19:27

At least Fred Kummerow's still researching, now I believe over 100. He was the other to warn against trans fats. The irony is that it was the CSPI - like PCRM a front for PETA - who championed trans fats against saturated animal fats, then a few decades later campaigned to have then removed from "food".

More and more research is showing that industrially produced Omega 6 seed oils may not be any better, no matter how profitable they are. I've seen them slated in NAFLD, this is the first I've seen them also implicated in ALD but it doesn't surprise me in the least. I believe Israel has the highest consumption/ highest ratios to Omega 3s, and look at their horrendous levels of CVD.

Nice line from Richard Feinman

"Walt Willett may look like Wyatt Earp but he's no straight shooter!"

Harvard seems pathologically unable to differentiate between Omega 6 and Omega 3. I suspect money might be involved.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 20:27