THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Another fasting link.....

AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Another fasting link..... Empty Another fasting link.....

Post by AliB Wed Dec 10 2014, 16:13

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/12/08/feeding-tube-diet-answer-for-diabetes-study-suggests/

This one is an 800 calorie ketogenic short-term tube feed, but seems to radically reduce insulin resistance. It is essentially no different to a juice fast. Quite why they see the need to tube it rather than give it in drnk form (unless its ghastly!), I really don't get.

The article points out, obviously, that this is not sustainable in the long term, but it's pretty likely that the participants would go back to eating the rubbish food that made them diabetic in the first place.

If they were to do this, and then carry on with a ketogenic full diet, the outcome might just be different. Few seem to have the ability or motivation to maintain this kind of diet though, sadly.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Another fasting link..... Empty Re: Another fasting link.....

Post by mo1905 Wed Dec 10 2014, 16:22

If things are that bad you need to resort to being fed by a tube, my guess is the motivation of the individual must generally be fairly low. As you say Ali, the chances of keeping up a low carb healthy lifestyle post this treatment must be fairly slim. If you'd reduced carbs and made some lifestyle changes beforehand, the majority wouldn't even need to go down this route.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Wed Dec 10 2014, 16:35

Not forgetting with these extreme low calorie diets (Done a few in the past to get skinny for a holiday) usually resulted in me hitting the chip shop or chinese takeaway big time for a blow out after the weight loss due to being so hungry and then it was a slippery slope and ended up gaining the weight back plus some more as my body had gone into starvation mode and hung onto everything it could.
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Wed Dec 10 2014, 22:01

Apparently that enteral diet mix is absolutely disgusting. I believe something similar is given for SIBO patients (to starve the overgrown gut bacteria) and I've heard how revolting it is, so that's probably the reason for the nose tube.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 04:25