THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Lesson Learned: Effect of Hidden Infections on Fasting BG

Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Lesson Learned: Effect of Hidden Infections on Fasting BG Empty Lesson Learned: Effect of Hidden Infections on Fasting BG

Post by Indy51 Mon Mar 23 2015, 10:57

Since January my fasting BG has crept up and up from my usual low 6's to 7's and then 8's - I was horrified one morning to find it was 8.8 pale

I saw my GP about it and was tested for a UTI (my original diabetes diagnosis had a 'silent' UTI attached), but no infection found - plus my A1c was exactly the same as the one I had done in September.

Along with the higher Fasting BG, I was taking longer and longer to return to pre-meal readings after eating. Also my lowest level of the day usually occurred after my morning walk, but that stopped having any effect as well. All in all, I was starting to freak out and wondering whether it was time to see the endo and start talking medications.

I also had a real shock to find that after years of no fillings required, I was suddenly getting cavities. Ended up having 2 teeth extracted because they had rotted away under old crowns. Still, the BG was high and I was starting to get infected hair follicles in my armpits, I assume because of the extended amount of time at higher levels.

Last weekend I woke up to another aching tooth and could feel a lump in the gum - saw the dentist and although he couldn't see an abscess in the Xrays, he decided to give me a course of antibiotics to try and head off a possible infection and to cover me until he could fix 2 areas of decay in the aching tooth (and the one next to it).

The amazing part was that after just 2 of the antibiotic capsules, the next morning my BG was back to low 6's and continued at that level with only one FBG above 7 and this morning it was 5.5!

I've finished the antibiotics today, plus had the teeth filled, so it will be interesting to see what happens next.

Pretty freaky not really knowing if the hidden infection was dental - or maybe somewhere else in my body. But whatever it was, it's really been doing a number on my BG - and mood!

On the up side, it really put the wind up me, so I decided to track my food intake one day to ensure that there wasn't any 'carb creep' going on - and there wasn't (59.2g), but there sure was some excess calories - 2114!

So, decided to strictly reduce calories under 1200 and bring carbs to under 30g in an effort to lose visceral fat/weight - I'm even toying with the idea of a real food version of the Newcastle Diet. In any event, I'm eating 2 meals a day in a compressed eating window - so spending at least 17 hours fasting each day.

I've slowly put back on 6kg and it's obviously not doing me any good at all. I was horrified to find how much bigger my waist was than I thought as well.

Now, if I listened to all the microbiome talk, I should never have had an antiobiotic and risked all the dire things that people claim happen as a result. Oh well, I'm way more interested in having good BG than I am with the state of my gut. However, if anything my usual digestive/gut issues have been way better while I've been on the antibiotics, so I'm really glad that the dentist gave them to me flower
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Lesson Learned: Effect of Hidden Infections on Fasting BG Empty Re: Lesson Learned: Effect of Hidden Infections on Fasting BG

Post by Eddie Mon Mar 23 2015, 12:00

@Indy

The first question Dr.Bernstein asks when a patient has run good stable BG's and then reports a big rise for no apparent reason is "when did you last see your Dentist" Bernstein reckons it's very common. Sometimes a person does not realise they have a tooth infection but it can effect BG numbers big time, as can any infection.

Indy said.

"Now, if I listened to all the microbiome talk, I should never have had an antiobiotic and risked all the dire things that people claim happen as a result. Oh well, I'm way more interested in having good BG than I am with the state of my gut."

Too right BG numbers are our priority, if they are high everything suffers.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Lesson Learned: Effect of Hidden Infections on Fasting BG Empty Re: Lesson Learned: Effect of Hidden Infections on Fasting BG

Post by Jan1 Mon Mar 23 2015, 18:35

@Indy

Glad you were able to get things sorted.

From reading and talking to many diabetics ..... if there is any infection around it plays havoc with BG readings, and sometimes antibiotics are needed.

Take Care and .....

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Mon Mar 23 2015, 18:49

Indeed!! When I was harbouring a virus in December/January which developed into a walking pneumonia my levels were stupid and I'd wake up to levels of around 19mmol at times and I also kissed goodbye to my good HbA1c which jumped from its best of 31 to 66 and I was zapped with a strong course of antibiotics and although the improvement didn't happen overnight-My levels are great again...Just shows you that even though we can run non diabetic levels-We are reminded that we are different to the non diabetic population and things can give us a 'Bite'.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 19:10