THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+10
cold ethyl
Sally
Sharon
Paul1976
Dillinger
Jan1
mo1905
Eddie
Andy12345
Benny boy
14 posters

Low carb vegetables?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 Empty Re: Low carb vegetables?

Post by Jan1 Sat Aug 22 2015, 16:45

CABBAGE GRATIN

A cheesy, hearty vegetable dish can be served as a side or a main course.

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 6752421

Ingredients
    Serves 6 (7.9g carb per serving)
    1 each  cooking spray
    4 cup  Cabbage, fresh, chopped
    1 cup  shredded carrots
    1/2 cup  fresh chopped green onion
    1 cup  whole milk
    1 oz  shredded gruyere cheese
    1/2 tsp  caraway seeds
    1/4 tsp  salt
    2 each  eggs
    1 each  egg whites
    2 tbsp  chopped parsley
    1 tbsp  grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
    Preheat oven to 375°F.
    Coat small saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium. Add cabbage, carrots, and onions and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
    Coat 13" x 9" baking dish with cooking spray. Add cabbage mixture.
    In medium mixing bowl, mix milk, cheese, caraway, salt, eggs, and egg white until completely blended.
    Spoon milk and cheese mixture over cabbage and sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan cheese.
    Bake 40 minutes, until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.

Recipe idea from here http://www.dlife.com/

I'm so used to serving cauliflower with cheese but why not cabbage?

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 30 2015, 10:32

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 Different-types-of-vegetables

Most, but not all, of us are fortunate to be able to eat a wide variety of foods. Some of us are guilty of over eating and there are still far too many people in this world that are going hungry. We have seen the increase in food banks that many rely on ...... we have children going to school without eating breakfast because their parent has had to decide, does the home have fuel or food. Nothing is ever perfect, and we can only do our best to help others not as fortunate.

The basket in the picture has many great vegetables, and that to me represents just one part of my menu plans. If you are fortunate enough to grow your own, or can afford organic all the better. During my weekly meals I love to ensure a good selection of meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy, healthy fats, small handfuls of nuts such as almonds or macadamias, non starchy vegetables such as broccoli, kale, swede, plus fruits such as blackberries and raspberries. This isn't by any means an extensive, or exhaustive list here, there are many more foods that I include in my menu plans , you only have to look around this Forum and the low carb diabetic blog to see a wide variety of menu ideas ..... but of course do take into account any allergies or underlying health conditions you may have.

Living the Low Carb High Fat lifestyle or LCHF for short has been a way of life for me for seven years now and I just wouldn't have it any other way. In my opinion, and as others have found, it is a great lifestyle for diabetics and non diabetics alike .....

So next time you go shopping, choose wisely, eat and live as healthily as possible. We only have one body - make the decision to look after it as best you can.

I'm off out shopping later and I will be buying a variety of non starchy vegetables ...

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Sep 30 2015, 18:56

I'm ashamed to say I sometimes overbuy vegetables, but at least the uneaten ones can go into the compost and turn into next year's flowers. Try doing that with processed food.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Nov 19 2015, 16:33

Roast Vegetables - Low Carb

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 VEG%20WEB%201

Roughly chop the vegetables. add plenty of extra virgin olive oil and pepper, a little salt and dried mixed herbs.
    Bake for about an hour at gas mark five. The trick is to turn every ten minutes or so to stop burning.

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 VEG%20WEB%202

Carb. counts. Swede 2.3, celery 0.8, mushrooms 0.3, onion fried in oil 14, courgettes 2.6, cherry toms. 5,
    red pepper 7, green pepper 2.6, yellow pepper 5, brussels 4,
    All numbers per 100 grams.

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun May 15 2016, 16:59

Turnips, Swede, Rutabaga, Neeps : Low Carb Vegetables

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 Turnip

Turnips are root vegetables that have less than a quarter of the carbohydrate of potatoes, and so are great choices for people who follow a low-carb diet. Turnips are members of the same plant family as cabbages, kale, broccoli, and cauliflower (cruciferous vegetables). The strength of the flavor varies, but becomes milder with cooking. Turnip greens are also nutritious and another option when you're looking for a leafy vegetable.

Do you find cruciferous vegetables to be bitter? You probably have a genetic variant that allows you to taste a certain chemical (phenylthiocarbamide) which tastes bitter.

Carbohydrate and Fiber Counts for Turnips:
    ½ cup of raw turnip cubes: 3 grams of effective (net) carbohydrate plus 1 gram of fiber and 18 calories
    1 medium turnip, a little over 4 oz (¼ lb): 6 grams of effective (net) carbohydrate plus 2 grams of fiber and 34 calories
    ½ cup of cooked mashed turnip: 3.5 grams of effective (net) carbohydrate plus 3 grams of fiber and 25 calories

Health Benefits of Turnips:
    Turnips are an excellent source of vitamin C, a very good source of fiber, and a good source of potassium, manganese, calcium, and vitamin B6. Turnips are also cruciferous vegetables (also called brassicas or cole crops).

Cruciferous vegetables are high in glucosinolates, which are phytonutrients thought to be helpful in protecting our bodies from certain types of cancers. Glucosinates also have antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.

Above details from here https://www.verywell.com/carb-information-for-turnips-2241834

The turnip or white turnip, is a root vegetable commonly grown in temperate climates worldwide for its white bulbous taproot.

Small, tender varieties are grown for human consumption, while larger varieties are grown as feed for livestock.

In the north of England and Scotland, and eastern Canada (Newfoundland), turnip (or neep; the word turnip is an old compound of tur- as in turned/rounded on a lathe and neep, derived from Latin napus) refers to the larger, yellow rutabaga root vegetable, also known as the "swede" (from "Swedish turnip")

There is evidence that the turnip was domesticated before the 15th century BC; it was grown in India at this time for its oil-bearing seeds

One medium raw turnip (122 g) contains the following nutritional elements:
    Calories : 34
    Fat: 0.12
    Carbohydrates: 7.84
    Fibers: 2.2
    Protein: 1.10
    Cholesterol: 0

These details from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 Swede

Swede Wonderful Swede - also known as 'Rutabaga' or 'Neeps'

In our house the humble swede is so often part of our menu plans. Our children love it and the grandchildren like its slightly sweet taste. It is known under various names, depending on where in this world you live - so I thought why not give a little more detail for those of you who have not tried this wonderful vegetable.

Americans know it as "rutabaga". The Scottish call it "neeps" and serve it with haggis. The swede, a fairly recent root vegetable, is thought to have originated around the 17th century in Bohemia. In 1620 a Swiss botanist described the root vegetable, believed to be a hybrid of the cabbage and the turnip. By 1664 it was growing in England. A good source of vit.C, fibre, folate and potassium. Low in calories.Wash then peel thoroughly to remove the thick outer skin. Swede can be prepared and served in any of the methods used for potatoes. Swede can be added to soups, stews and casseroles. Use mashed swede instead of mashed potato it has a slightly sweet taste. Swede can also be made into fritters and pancakes. Collins Gem states 2.3 grams of carb per 100 grams. It doesn't spike blood sugar numbers like a potato may. Swede is just great, try it and see.

Above details from here http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/swede-popular-delicious-and-low-carb.html

Why not put these vegetables on your shopping list soon!

All the best Jan
    flower
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu May 26 2016, 15:43

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 Sesameseedscallopsturnip

Sesame Seeds 'Scallops' made with turnip

'These 'scallops' pictured above was inspired by the beautiful and humble turnip, a vegetable that when peeled and cooked, reminds me of a scallop. Prepared in this way, the turnips were slightly soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. The sweetness of the vegetable came through ... with the braising and then pan-frying, allowing the natural sugars to caramelize. Anyone (even kids!) would enjoy turnips prepared this way! If you’re not already a fan of turnips, I recommend buying some the next time you go grocery shopping. Including different veggies into your diet each week is a great way to expand your nutrient-intake, and make cooking (and eating) more exciting!

Turnips are a nutrient-dense and delicious cruciferous vegetable. One cup of cooked turnip has 30% RDA Vitamin C, 5% RDA Calcium, iron, and 3 grams of fibre. Turnips are significantly lower in carbohydrates and sugars than potatoes, making them an appropriate alternative for diabetics and those who wish to lose weight.'

These words above are from Danielle Levy, she is a Registered Holistic Nutrition Practitioner, to see how she cooked these wonderful turnip sesame seed 'scallops' use this link here
    http://daniellelevynutrition.com/2013/06/28/food-experiment-sesame-seared-scallops/

You've got to admit it's something different  sunny

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri May 27 2016, 21:46

Did she get the recipe from Baldrick?

Have to confess I mostly avoid root vegetables, though I used to have small quantities of parsnip with Christmas dinner - probably about the highest carb of the lot - and occasionally carrots, but not the small sweet ones, more a Linford Christie.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat May 28 2016, 13:19

... definitely care to be taken when eating root vegetables as blood sugar spikes can and do happen. It seems to me that re-actions can differ slightly so it's ...  'test is best'.

Now this is a lovely low carb vegetable - the aubergine / eggplant.

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 Eggplant-taco-4

Aubergine / Eggplant Tacos with Cilantro and Brie

so many different ways to use this great vegetable
    this is good ... check out how to etc here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/aubergine-eggplant-tacos-with-cilantro.html

you may also like to look at this topic thread here
    https://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t1809-aubergines-egg-plants-health-benefits-and-recipe-ideas

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Oct 20 2016, 17:34

Thai Curry Cabbage

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 DD-197-1200x800

Here's a great low-carb side dish:
    Fried green cabbage, with a wonderfully hot flavour from red thai-curry paste that will spice up any dinner!
    It's especially good with fish and chicken.

Ingredients:
    Serves 4
    9g carb per serving
    3 tablespoons coconut oil
    900 g shredded green cabbage
    1 tablespoon red curry paste preferably thai
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon sesame oil

Please find cooking instructions here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/thai-curry-cabbage

All the best Jan
    flower
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Feb 07 2017, 20:18

Fennel can make a nice change when cooking ...
    Why not look out for it next time you shop!
    Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 Fennel+3

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 Fennel+chart

From the same family as the herb and seed of the same name,
    it's also known as Florence fennel, finocchio, or sweet fennel, is very popular in Italian cookery.
    When eaten raw, the texture is crisp and the flavour is quite assertive and anisseedy. Cooked, it's softer and more mellow.

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Feb 09 2017, 23:36

Another one I hadn't had for a while - Jerusalem artichokes.

Uh-oh! Can't find the vegetable peeler. I suspect it's taken a one way trip into the compost (again) and when I find it in six months or so it won't be worth finding.

Anyway I peeled them with a knife and casseroled them with carrots (OK A carrot), celery, peppers, chillies, garlic, black peppercorns, bay leaves and a saddle of rabbit. Oh and the bacon! After the goat problem I did it for a couple of hours and served with purple sprouting while I had some left - a nice winter casserole and a reminder of Gran's cooking from childhood - except she used lashings of onions and missed out the peppers and chillies and garlic.

Had enough left over to fry up some more bacon and the mushroom I previously forgot to add, boil some more sprouts and carrots and add in the rest of the veggies and rabbit (not as much of that left as I thought so I did some more bacon, if I'd thought I'd have bought some more sausages and chopped one of them in too).

Fennel like celery and celeriac is one of my "occasional" veggies.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Feb 16 2017, 22:04

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 DD-334-1200x800

Breaded Root Celery (Celeriac) with Creamed Garlic Beans

Serves Four
    15g carb per serving
    2 lbs root celery (celeriac)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    ½ teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
    2 tablespoons coconut flour or almond flour

Creamed garlic beans
    2⁄3 lb fresh green beans
    3¼ oz. butter
    1 cup heavy (double) whipping cream
    1 – 2 garlic cloves
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 lemon
    salt and pepper

See more at Diet Doctor here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/breaded-root-celery-creamed-garlic-beans

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Feb 26 2017, 18:37

As February draws to an end I thought this article 'Seasonal Low-Carb Dishes' from  Dr Katharine Morrison and Emma Baird's blog 'The Diabetes Diet' was timely.

"February is almost at an end – as it the season for many fruit and vegetables we associated with this time of year.
    Nevertheless, we’ve done a round-up of what’s in season at the moment. If you eat seasonally, you get food at its best. It also means less food miles, as the food can be produced in the UK and has therefore not had to travel as far to get to your plate.

Fruit
    Lemons
    Clementines (coming to the end of their season)
    Pears (coming to the end of their season)
    Kiwis

Vegetables
    Brussel sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Celeriac
    Leeks
    Kale
    Purple sprouting broccoli

Meat and fish
    Turkey
    Salmon

If you want some recipe ideas for what to do with what’s in season,"

Emma lists some tasty recipe ideas too
    Why not go and have a look!

Article is here
    https://diabetesdietblog.com/2017/02/26/seasonal-low-carb-dishes/

I wonder - of the six vegetables listed above - have you got a particular favourite?

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Feb 26 2017, 22:38

Sprouts (especially with chestnuts, now long vanished) and purple sprouting. Ask me to choose between them and I'd gave you a different answer every day.

I'm nearly out of both, I feel a visit to the farm shop coming tomorrow.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Feb 28 2017, 19:50

chris c wrote:Sprouts (especially with chestnuts, now long vanished) and purple sprouting. Ask me to choose between them and I'd gave you a different answer every day.

I'm nearly out of both, I feel a visit to the farm shop coming tomorrow.

Hope you got (get) another good selection of low carb vegetables

We've had some nice broccoli and leeks recently ... I did also get some more Brussels too

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Mar 01 2017, 23:22

Sprouts were below average but PSB was above. So it goes. While I was there I topped up on multicoloured peppers, chillies, garlic and mushrooms. Then came back via the other shop for Gloucester Old Spot sausages and as a change from the whole thing some pheasant breasts. OMG the deprivation of not eating Holy Health Grains. Add some liver and bacon from the butcher's and the salmon, smoked haddock and crevettes from the fish van and I don't have to shop again for ages.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Mar 02 2017, 19:43

Yes, peppers are nearly always on my list ... I tend to buy the multi packs and even the 'basic' or 'essential' packs with odd shaped peppers are good.
    Let's face it  - when you cut them up you don't know they were mis-shapen - the taste is still good!

For some reason I don't buy PSB that often ... perhaps I should?

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Mar 02 2017, 22:45

When I was young we used to grow it, it was always a favourite but with a very short season.

It's only in recent years that the season seems to have become more extended but even so, like asparagus, it doesn't last long so I make the most of it while it's there.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Mar 16 2017, 12:14

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 Ultimatecarbsvegetables-376x1024

Guide to Carbs in Vegetables

If you’re going low carb, The Ultimate Guide To Carbs In Vegetables will guide you in choosing which vegetables are best to incorporate in your diet. Each value is the net carbs per 100g using chronometer.com  Net carbs is the total carb value, minus the fibre.

Vegetables are definitely the healthier (and better choice) when preparing meals. However, it must be noted that the different types of vegetables have different nutritional values.

Please read lots more, with relevant links, at Ditch The Carbs Site here
    http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2017/03/14/carbs-in-vegetables/

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Jul 19 2017, 18:32

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 Vegstirfry

This speedy stir-fry is super easy to make, packed with vegetables and full of flavour. You may wish to pair this with stir fry chicken or pork!

Ingredients
    Serves Four
    2 tbsp. oil
    4 spring onions (scallions), cut into 4cm/1½in lengths
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    piece fresh root ginger, about 1cm/½in, peeled and grated
    1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
    1 red pepper, cut into thick matchsticks
    100g/3½oz baby sweetcorn, halved
    1 courgette (zucchini), cut into thick matchsticks
    150g/5½oz sugar-snap peas or mangetout, trimmed
    2 tbsp hoisin sauce
    2 tbsp soy sauce

Method
    Heat a wok on a high heat and add the oil. Add the spring onions, garlic, ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute, then reduce the heat. Take care to not brown the vegetables.

Add the carrot, red pepper and baby sweetcorn and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the courgette and sugar snap peas and stir-fry for a further 3 minutes. Toss the ingredients from the centre to the side of the wok using a wooden spatula. Do not overcrowd the wok and keep the ingredients moving.

Add 1 tablespoon water, hoisin and soy sauce and cook over a high heat for a further 2 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked but not too soft. Serve and enjoy.

Each serving provides
    3g protein, 7g carbohydrate, 6g fat, 3.5g fibre.

Some tips
    Make sure all the food is prepared before you start cooking.
    Cut all of the vegetables to a similar size to ensure they cook evenly.
    The oil needs to be hot before you start cooking, but reduced to a medium heat once you start cooking.

Happy Eating!

All the best Jan

(from an original BBC Food recipe)
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jul 19 2017, 23:13

Oh yes I use the combination of mangetouts (NOT sugar snaps) and baby sweetcorns (which don't come out the same as they went in, unlike the full size ones) usually with multicoloured peppers and the garlic and ginger. Goes especially well with chicken or prawns (or chicken AND prawns) or pork, and if you can find them cilantro (coriander leaves) roughly torn up. I use lower heat and EVOO and sometimes add grated coconut and various spices for a thai-type curry, they go well in that too.

At the moment RUNNER BEANS have just arrived - local grown ones - and I was just reading this recipe

https://diabetesdietblog.com/2017/07/19/spanish-style-stuffed-marrow/

so now I have a few more things to add to tomorrow's veg shopping list.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Jul 20 2017, 23:26

chris c wrote:Oh yes I use the combination of mangetouts (NOT sugar snaps) and baby sweetcorns (which don't come out the same as they went in, unlike the full size ones) usually with multicoloured peppers and the garlic and ginger. Goes especially well with chicken or prawns (or chicken AND prawns) or pork, and if you can find them cilantro (coriander leaves) roughly torn up. I use lower heat and EVOO and sometimes add grated coconut and various spices for a thai-type curry, they go well in that too.

At the moment RUNNER BEANS have just arrived - local grown ones - and I was just reading this recipe

https://diabetesdietblog.com/2017/07/19/spanish-style-stuffed-marrow/

so now I have a few more things to add to tomorrow's veg shopping list.

Yes, I spotted that recipe idea on The Diabetes Diet Blog ... it looks a good one Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Aug 06 2017, 17:18

Wondering what to do with courgettes/zucchini
    How about this idea ...

Courgette / Zucchini Pizza Boats

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 Courgettepizzaboats

Ingredients:
    Serves Four
    4 medium courgettes/zucchini
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    75g diced chorizo
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    335g cherry tomatoes, halved
    1 tbsp. tomato purée
    1 tsp dried mixed herbs
    150g ball mozzarella, torn into small pieces
    28g fresh basil, roughly torn

Method:
    1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6. Halve the courgettes lengthways. Scoop out the seeds using a teaspoon and roughly chop them. Place the courgette halves on a roasting tray, brush with the oil and bake for 12-15 minutes, until just soft.
    2. Meanwhile, add the diced chorizo to a medium saucepan over a medium heat and cook for 3-4 minutes, until golden and the oil has started to release. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the courgette seeds, tomatoes, tomato purée and dried herbs with seasoning and simmer for 5 minutes with the lid on, until the tomatoes have softened and burst slightly. Remove the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes until thickened. Stir through half the basil.
    3. Preheat your grill to the highest setting. Divide the tomato mixture between the roasted courgettes and top with the mozzarella. Place under the grill for 3-4 minutes, until the mozzarella is melted and golden. Top with the remaining basil and divide between 4 plates to serve.

Each serving provides :
    8.3g carbohydrate 3.6g fibre 14.1g protein 15.0g fat

https://recipes.sainsburys.co.uk/recipes/main-courses/courgette-pizza-boats#

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Oct 24 2017, 18:50

Low carb vegetables? - Page 3 Low-carb-spinach-artichoke-stuffed-portobello-mushrooms-cover-300x450

Lisa at Low Carb Yum says ... "If you like spinach artichoke dip and mushrooms, you will love spinach artichoke stuffed portobello mushrooms. Serve them as an appetizer or side dish."

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 medium portobello mushrooms stems and gills removed
    1 package frozen chopped spinach cooked and drained, 10 ounces
    1 can artichoke hearts drained and chopped, 14 ounce can
    4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
    2 tablespoons sour cream
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
    2 cloves garlic chopped
    salt and pepper to taste
    3 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded

Makes 8 servings, serving size is half of a stuffed mushroom.

Net carbs per serving: 4.9g

See step by step instructions, and more, here
    https://lowcarbyum.com/spinach-artichoke-stuffed-portobello-mushrooms/

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Oct 28 2017, 15:28

Butter-fried green cabbage

As Diet Doctor said : 'It's not your grandmother's boiled cabbage leaves. Shredded green cabbage gets a low-carb upgrade with plenty of butter. If you can stir over a medium heat, you can make this fool-proof everyday favourite!'

Please see video about this recipe at Diet Doctor site here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/butter-fried-cabbage

Written recipe and instructions are here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/butter-fried-green-cabbage

All the best Jan
    flower

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 10:33