THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+10
cold ethyl
Sally
Sharon
Paul1976
Dillinger
Jan1
mo1905
Eddie
Andy12345
Benny boy
14 posters

Low carb vegetables?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Low carb vegetables? - Page 2 Empty Re: Low carb vegetables?

Post by Jan1 Fri Nov 14 2014, 18:41

Benny boy wrote:Hi peeps,

Can anyone tell me whether sweet potato mash is just as high in carbohydrate as normal mash potato?

As Paul said in his earlier post / comment. Proceed with caution because I believe these potatoes have very similar carb content.

Personally I would stick with buttery mashed swede as a low carb alternative ?

Do you like buttery mashed swede ? sunny

All the best Jan
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Fri Nov 14 2014, 21:34

mo1905 wrote:Love peppers but so much waste ! Can anyone tell the difference in taste between the yellow, red or green ones cos they all taste the same to me. Very nice though.

wow really? they are very different to me, maybe its in my mind but they are different imo
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Fri Nov 14 2014, 21:38

Andy12345 wrote:
    mo1905 wrote:Love peppers but so much waste ! Can anyone tell the difference in taste between the yellow, red or green ones cos they all taste the same to me. Very nice though.

wow really? they are very different to me, maybe its in my mind but they are different imo

Green and Red are my faves for the taste raw in salads or cooked in curries,stir fries etc...the yellow and orange peppers just don't have as much taste or appeal to me for some reason.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Fri Nov 14 2014, 21:44

has to be green in omelettes and i favour red if eating em raw in salads etc, the red seem more spicey
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Fri Nov 14 2014, 22:28

I am a vegetablarian, but even I wouldn't give a green pepper trolley space. Evil things.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Nov 14 2014, 23:50

Just love bell peppers, they are versatile and can be eaten raw or cooked.

I tend to use green ones in a beef casserole, red ones with pork casserole and the yellow and orange ones go nice with fish dishes.

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Mon Nov 17 2014, 09:06

Paul wrote:
    Benny boy wrote:Hi peeps,

Can anyone tell me whether sweet potato mash is just as high in carbohydrate as normal mash potato?

The  article in the link below is not low carb friendly but does show that the total carbs per 100g in both potatoes and sweet potatoes are the same so proceed with caution when eating either of them would be my advice.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/520948-carbohydrates-in-sweet-potatoes-vs-white-potatoes/

As paul says, carb content similar but lower GI so not so much of a "spike" as slower to absorb.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Mon Nov 17 2014, 09:09

Phew I tried one sweet potato yesterday and didn't like it, now I don't have to bother to try to like them Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Nov 17 2014, 16:28

>.>.>. Dinner tonight will feature these low carb vegetables.

Swede - mashed with butter
    Cabbage - lightly boiled
    Cauliflower - with a little double cream and grated cheddar warmed and poured over the top.

Don't you just love low carb vegetables?

All the best Jan

flower
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Nov 17 2014, 17:06

Jan1 wrote:>.>.>. Dinner tonight will feature these low carb vegetables.

Swede - mashed with butter
    Cabbage - lightly boiled
    Cauliflower - with a little double cream and grated cheddar warmed and poured over the top.

Don't you just love low carb vegetables?

All the best Jan

flower

No arguments from me on that score! Very Happy As just one example,Swede has far more flavour than a plain spud and thinking back it was only the fats such as butter or cheese that made the high carb spud edible in the first place...even chips were only nice if they were cooked in beef dripping as the ones from the chippies round my way that only use that 'Frymax' garbage produced horrible chips that were nothing like from my childhood. No

Cheers

Paul
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Nov 17 2014, 17:19

Good point there Paul. I never really used to like plain potatoes anyway. Carrot & swede mash so much tastier and better for us ! Jacket spuds are actually quite plain and tasteless without the filling ! I did used to prefer the skin anyway. I wonder if they're OK to eat. Anyone tried it ?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Nov 17 2014, 17:27

mo1905 wrote:Good point there Paul. I never really used to like plain potatoes anyway. Carrot & swede mash so much tastier and better for us ! Jacket spuds are actually quite plain and tasteless without the filling ! I did used to prefer the skin anyway. I wonder if they're OK to eat. Anyone tried it ?

You know what? That's an interesting point you've raised there Mo as I've not tried or tested the crispy skin on it's own-if the skins ok then skins stuffed with cheese and chive or cheese and bacon with some soured cream to dip with could be nice I reckon...must do some research online. Smile
    ChrisPalmer

Post by ChrisPalmer Mon Nov 17 2014, 17:34

Shoot first, ask questions about Potato later.

Low carb vegetables? - Page 2 Spudgun

I'd very much like to draw your attention to the above picture of my very first spud gun (Fig.1B), bought for me by my father in 1978. This contraption really opened my eyes to the immense versatility of the Potato; the king of vegetables, in my humble opinion. In 1992, I launched an unsuccessful attempt to rob a sub post office in Preston with this very spud gun. In the years since, Potato has never once let me down; a truly remarkable track record, I'm sure you'll agree, constable.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Nov 17 2014, 17:42

ChrisPalmer wrote:Shoot first, ask questions about Potato later.

I'd very much like to draw your attention to the above picture of my very first spud gun (Fig.1B), bought for me by my father in 1978. This contraption really opened my eyes to the immense versatility of the Potato; the king of vegetables, in my humble opinion. In 1992, I launched an unsuccessful attempt to rob a sub post office in Preston with this very spud gun. In the years since, Potato has never once let me down; a truly remarkable track record, I'm sure you'll agree, constable.

Brilliant ! Remember those well :-)
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Nov 17 2014, 19:09

Perhaps not for everyone but we tried Aunt Bessie's ready made carrot & swede mash ! It was beautiful ! Mashing swede is a pain sometimes so not first choice but decent alternative.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Mon Nov 17 2014, 19:17

ChrisPalmer wrote:Shoot first, ask questions about Potato later.

I bought my littlen one of these last Xmas I couldn't believe it when I saw it, she had no idea what it was.... Added bonus I got to be mean to a potatoe as revenge for the years they were mean to me
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Nov 17 2014, 19:22

LOL!! I so want a Spudgun again as mine was confiscated at school 26 years ago never to be seen again but maybe a 'Frozen potato cannon' would be much more fun! Twisted Evil
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Nov 18 2014, 09:16

Paul wrote:
    mo1905 wrote:Good point there Paul. I never really used to like plain potatoes anyway. Carrot & swede mash so much tastier and better for us ! Jacket spuds are actually quite plain and tasteless without the filling ! I did used to prefer the skin anyway. I wonder if they're OK to eat. Anyone tried it ?

You know what? That's an interesting point you've raised there Mo as I've not tried or tested the crispy skin on it's own-if the skins ok then skins stuffed with cheese and chive or cheese and bacon with some soured cream to dip with could be nice I reckon...must do some research online. Smile

Many years ago ...... whenever jacket potatoes were served mum always used to say 'make sure you eat the skins - they contain the most goodness'

So like you Paul I wonder about the goodness of potato skins?  Not being diabetic, but someone who low carbs, I just wonder by eating crispy potato skins what result on blood sugars may this have?

Anyone else got a view point?

Thanks  sunny

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Nov 20 2014, 17:58

Out and about in Maldon yesterday we stopped off at Morrisons ....not a shop we go to that often.

I particularly like their 'market garden' and how they display their vegetables. We bought very reasonably priced cauliflower, swede, brocolli and cabbage. These four items will keep us going for quite a few days, along with what I already have in the vegetable store cupboard. Apparently they now price match to Aldi and Lidl - can't be bad. sunny

( Wow just seen the new emoticons, some of which I may just use   bounce   ......thanks )

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Thu Nov 20 2014, 18:17

Jan1 wrote:Out and about in Maldon yesterday we stopped off at Morrisons ....not a shop we go to that often.

I particularly like their 'market garden' and how they display their vegetables. We bought very reasonably priced cauliflower, swede, brocolli and cabbage. These four items will keep us going for quite a few days, along with what I already have in the vegetable store cupboard. Apparently they now price match to Aldi and Lidl - can't be bad. sunny

( Wow just seen the new emoticons, some of which I may just use   bounce   ......thanks )

All the best Jan

Gotta admit-I don't use Morrisons much myself but their 'Market Garden' is very good and reasonably priced and I don't know about Maldon's store but in our local store the fresh fruit and veggies are kept above misters that keep the fruit and vegetables fresh with dry ice which makes it look like the produce is uber fresh but maybe it's all for illusion-who knows. Cool

Cheers

Paul
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Nov 20 2014, 19:07

Paul wrote:
    Jan1 wrote:Out and about in Maldon yesterday we stopped off at Morrisons ....not a shop we go to that often.

All the best Jan

Gotta admit-I don't use Morrisons much myself but their 'Market Garden' is very good and reasonably priced and I don't know about Maldon's store but in our local store the fresh fruit and veggies are kept above misters that keep the fruit and vegetables fresh with dry ice which makes it look like the produce is uber fresh but maybe it's all for illusion-who knows. Cool

Cheers

Paul

Yes those misters look great - I'm sure they keep the food extra fresh don't they?

Have no complaints about their vegetables though  sunny

Jan

flower
    Sharon

Post by Sharon Fri Nov 21 2014, 16:29

bought a celeriac today . going to do roast celeriac and chicken . thought it be a change to have roast celeriac friday night  .
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Fri Nov 21 2014, 16:48

Sharon wrote:bought a celeriac today . going to do roast celeriac and chicken . thought it be a change to have roast celeriac friday night  .

Sounds good to me! Smile Just make sure you use a good and sharp knife to peel and prepare the Celeriac as it's quite tough when raw-just like swede is-but worth it I reckon. Smile

Best wishes

Paul
    Sharon

Post by Sharon Fri Nov 21 2014, 17:27

yes celeriac and swede quite hard to cut . i am careful and use a good sharp knife . brussel sprouts and cabbage much easier to prepare .
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Feb 26 2015, 22:51

Swede Wonderful Swede

The humble swede is so often part of our menu plans and is known under various names, depending on where in this world you live ..... so I thought why not give a little more detail for those of you who may not have tried this wonderful vegetable.

Low carb vegetables? - Page 2 Swede

Americans know it as "rutabaga". The Scottish call it "neeps" and serve it with haggis. The swede, a fairly recent root vegetable, is thought to have originated around the 17th century in Bohemia. In 1620 a Swiss botanist described the root vegetable, believed to be a hybrid of the cabbage and the turnip. By 1664 it was growing in England. A good source of vit.C, fibre, folate and potassium. Low in calories.Wash then peel thoroughly to remove the thick outer skin. Swede can be prepared and served in any of the methods used for potatoes. Swede can be added to soups, stews and casseroles. Use mashed swede instead of mashed potato it has a slightly sweet taste. Swede can also be made into fritters and pancakes. Collins Gem states 2.3 grams of carb per 100 grams. It doesn't spike blood sugar numbers like a potato may. Swede is just great, try it and see.

Low carb vegetables? - Page 2 Mashed+swede

Even our kids love swede and the grandchildren like its slightly sweet taste. Mash up with lots of butter and serve with meat, fish, other vegetables, whatever you like. It really does taste good. sunny

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 04:35