THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Low-carb helps obese diabetics but DUK advises against

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Low-carb helps obese diabetics but DUK advises against  Empty Low-carb helps obese diabetics but DUK advises against

Post by graham64 Mon Nov 09 2015, 22:13

Sticking to a low-carbohydrate diet with some limits of calories has long-term benefits on body weight and blood sugar levels, says a new study from Sweden, but a leading diabetes charity advises against following such a diet.

It is well established that some type 2 diabetics can achieve dietary control of their condition without the need for medication. And this new Swedish study adds to this by suggesting that the low-carb diet may be one such effective approach.

The new research study

The new study, published in the open access journal Nutrition and Metabolism (Vol. 3, number 22), adds to earlier research by the same scientists that obese people with type 2 diabetes could improve body weight and blood sugar levels over a six-month period by sticking to the low-carbohydrate diet.

And further follow-up shows that sticking to the diet for 22 months continued to provide benefits to the subjects, and “is an effective tool in the management in motivated obese patients with type 2 diabetes.”

Dr Jorgen Nielsen and Dr Eva Joensson from Blekingesjukhuset, Karlshamm in Sweden, recruited 31 obese type 2 diabetics (average weight at baseline 100,6kg, BMI 36,1kg per sq.m) and assigned 16 to the low-carbohydrate diet (20 percent carbs) and 15 continued to eat their normal diet (55 to 60 percent carbs). Both diets were equal in calories (1800kcal for men, 1600kcal for women).

After six months, subjects eating the low-carb diet reported an average weight loss of 11,4kg and a reduction of BMI of 4,1kg per sq.m. Subjects eating the normal diet reported weight loss of about 3,5kg.

Improvements over six months

Additionally, when the researchers measured blood levels of haemoglobin A1c (HbA1c), the form of haemoglobin usually used to follow plasma glucose concentrations over time, they found that the low-carb diet led to improvements over six months, and these improvements continued for the two years of study.

HbA1c levels for the low-carb diet fell from the starting value of eight percent to 6,6 percent after six months, and stayed almost constant at 6,9 percent after 22 months. For the normal diet, HbA1c levels fell by 0,9 percent.

A 20 percent carbohydrate diet with some calorific restriction to obese patients with type 2 diabetes had lasting effects on bodyweight and glycaemic control, said Nielsen and Joensson.

The weight reduction observed was attributed to the reduction in calories.

“Intentional weight loss in type 2 diabetes patients is association with a reduced mortality of 30 to 40 percent. For the average patient, each kilogram weight loss is associated with three to four months prolonged survival making it likely that the patients described here have achieved a survival benefit,” said Nielsen and Joensson.

Low-carb diets not recommended

However, Roopinder Braar, care advisor for British charity Diabetes UK, told NutraIngredients.com that, while the study confirmed the benefit of weight loss in obese people with diabetes on their diabetes control and general health, the charity would not recommend low-carbohydrate diets for weight loss.

“Studies have shown that a healthy diet combined with physical activity is best for successful weight loss and is more effective than if you simply diet or exercise alone.

“It is a common myth that you should cut out starchy foods like bread and potatoes to lose weight.

“Reducing total carbohydrate to just 20 percent of total daily energy means that a greater proportion of your calories will come from fat and protein and the diet may be low in fruit and vegetables. A diet high in fat and low in fruit and vegetables is linked to heart disease.

"It is important that anyone with diabetes, who is trying to lose weight, should discuss it with their diabetes team who will advise them on how to lose weight safely,” said Braar.

http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/News/Low-carb-diet-helps-obese-diabetics-20120721?utm_content=bufferdde17&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Well I don't suppose Mr Braar would like to fall foul of DUK's partners by giving his backing to a diet that would affect the profits of Big Pharma  Shocked

Boots,Bupa, Johnson & Johnson, Lilly Diabetes, Novo Nordisk and Sanofi

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_involved/Corporate/Acknowledgements/
    chris c
    chris c

Low-carb helps obese diabetics but DUK advises against  Empty Re: Low-carb helps obese diabetics but DUK advises against

Post by chris c Wed Nov 11 2015, 18:50

Asshat!

The ADA actually funded several studies by Mary Gannon and Frank Q Nuttall into what they called LoBAG (Low Biologically Active Glucose) diets, ie. low carb.

When they came up with the "wrong" results their funding was cut. For a while their papers remained on the ADA website but the links were cut so you could only find them if you already knew where to look.

“Reducing total carbohydrate to just 20 percent of total daily energy means that a greater proportion of your calories will come from fat and protein and the diet may be low in fruit and vegetables. A diet high in fat and low in fruit and vegetables is linked to heart disease."

Quite correct! It is linked to LESS heart disease. And what's more, some improvements occur even BEFORE the weight loss, see Ron Krauss, Jeff Volek and, well, just so much research that it's simply implausible that Roopinder Braar did not know this, he must be wilfully ignoring it. Not to mention that most low carbers actually eat heaps of vegetables, maybe not so much fruit. It's the starches that we avoid, as you all well know.

Grrrrr! They used to say that there were no longterm studies in carb restriction - but only because they refused to finance them. Now there ARE long term studies and they still ignore them. Yet they endorse the crappiest and most expensive drugs, then complain about the cost of diabetes. It takes real intelligence to be this dumb.
    graham64
    graham64

Low-carb helps obese diabetics but DUK advises against  Empty Re: Low-carb helps obese diabetics but DUK advises against

Post by graham64 Wed Nov 11 2015, 22:21

The ADA are getting a right kicking on their FB page after posing this question: "What was your most recent blood glucose reading?"

www.facebook.com/AmericanDiabetesAssociation
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Wed Nov 11 2015, 22:28

graham64 wrote:The ADA are getting a right kicking on their FB page after posing this question: "What was your most recent blood glucose reading?"

LOL! They sure are with plenty of comments urging folks to steer away from the ADA and look at Doc Bernstein's teachings instead! Methinks there's going to be a lot of comment chopping by the ADA's FB page admin real soon! Evil or Very Mad
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed Nov 11 2015, 22:59

Paul1976 wrote:
    graham64 wrote:The ADA are getting a right kicking on their FB page after posing this question: "What was your most recent blood glucose reading?"

LOL! They sure are with plenty of comments urging folks to steer away from the ADA and look at Doc Bernstein's teachings instead! Methinks there's going to be a lot of comment chopping by the ADA's FB page admin real soon! Evil or Very Mad

Would take ages to go through them all study it would be interesting to see the same happen on the DUK FB page Cool
    Squire Fulwood

Post by Squire Fulwood Thu Nov 12 2015, 09:35

When I started to low(er) carb it was specifically done to lower my sugar levels since the very diagnosis of diabetes is made due to there being too much sugar in the blood. I noted that during this time I lost some weight without it being my intention but it was useful and got me another tick on DN's computer.

Then I noticed other people mention weight. People were arriving on DCUK asking about losing weight and not about blood sugar.

And now,“Studies have shown that a healthy diet combined with physical activity is best for successful weight loss and is more effective than if you simply diet or exercise alone."

Have we lost the plot. When did it all turn into bloody weight watchers?

Last edited by Squire Fulwood on Thu Nov 12 2015, 09:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missed a word out)
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Nov 12 2015, 16:21

Squire Fulwood wrote:When I started to low(er) carb it was specifically done to lower my sugar levels since the very diagnosis of diabetes is made due to there being too much sugar in the blood. I noted that during this time I lost some weight without it being my intention but it was useful and got me another tick on DN's computer.

Then I noticed other people mention weight. People were arriving on DCUK asking about losing weight and not about blood sugar.

And now,“Studies have shown that a healthy diet combined with physical activity is best for successful weight loss and is more effective than if you simply diet or exercise alone."

Have we lost the plot. When did it all turn into bloody weight watchers?

Agree 100%, a diabetics first priority is to get BG as close to possible to non diabetic. Very often when that is achieved lipids improve, and weight loss is an added bonus when achieving safe numbers by way of lifestyle changes. Low carb for most is a no brainer, and the safest way go. Ramming down BG with a bag of type two drugs or injected insulin usually makes matters worse for many. Being happy with your weight is good and reducing weight for many type two's helps with BG, but it should be remembered many overweight people run good BG numbers and never become diabetics.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Nov 12 2015, 22:39

It's a sad fact that if you totalled up all the type twos that are members of UK diabetes forums they form a tiny minority, most just blindly follow the DUK/NHS dietary guidelines  Crying or Very sad
    Squire Fulwood

Post by Squire Fulwood Fri Nov 13 2015, 06:26

graham64 wrote:It's a sad fact that if you totalled up all the type twos that are members of UK diabetes forums they form a tiny minority, most just blindly follow the DUK/NHS dietary guidelines  Crying or Very sad

Is that right? I assumed that since Type 2's are the in the vast majority then this was reflected in forum membership. I have no basis for that assumption and never thought about it before.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Nov 13 2015, 22:08

Squire Fulwood wrote:
    graham64 wrote:It's a sad fact that if you totalled up all the type twos that are members of UK diabetes forums they form a tiny minority, most just blindly follow the DUK/NHS dietary guidelines  Crying or Very sad

Is that right? I assumed that since Type 2's are the in the vast majority then this was reflected in forum membership. I have no basis for that assumption and never thought about it before.

Actually the message I was trying to convey is that out of a total of around 3 million type two's in the UK only a small percentage belong to diabetes fora  Crying or Very sad

We are the fortunate ones  Cool
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Nov 13 2015, 23:54

Paul1976 wrote:

You might be surprised, I used the ADA Forum many years ago and there was actually very little editorial interference. Nevertheless the flood of success stories from low carbers didn't affect the management much. Well John Buse agreed that a low carb diet could be used for weight loss as long as it was done for no longer than a year and contained no less than 135g carbs. I think their "technical" pages then updated "Medical Nutrition Therapy" from 1 - 2% improvement in A1c to up to 2.9%, while the posters were reporting routine improvements of 5 - 8% and sometimes over 10%.

Then some of their oldest sponsors pulled their money. John Buse went away and they didn't try that again.

Around the same time

Judy Barnes Baker
    Squire Fulwood

Post by Squire Fulwood Sat Nov 14 2015, 06:26

graham64 wrote:
    Squire Fulwood wrote:

Actually the message I was trying to convey is that out of a total of around 3 million type two's in the UK only a small percentage belong to diabetes fora  Crying or Very sad

We are the fortunate ones  Cool

Ah, English as she is spoke. I had no idea I had got the wrong end of the stick. It's no wonder people have arguments on line. I have noticed before that, sometimes, when I write something, other people read something else entirely.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sat Nov 14 2015, 23:16

Squire Fulwood wrote:Ah, English as she is spoke. I had no idea I had got the wrong end of the stick. It's no wonder people have arguments on line. I have noticed before that, sometimes, when I write something, other people read something else entirely.

Snap  Laughing I too have that same problem hence the misunderstanding on this thread  confused
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Nov 15 2015, 12:08

Squire Fulwood wrote:

You only have to check out the lamentable and gruesome statistics from the NHS audited diabetes stats to realize very few diabetics are checking out forums and blogs like the the low carb diabetic. 93% of type ones fail to get to a safe HbA1c and stats for type two's are also grim. So many believe the sort of dross pushed out by NHS, DUK, ADA etc. for what is supposedly good diabetes control, it ain't. Check out the NICE guidelines pushed to the newbies at the forum of flog. Not the sort of numbers a well controlled diabetic would want. But hey, quote the NICE guidelines and your arse is covered eh.

From the forum of flog.

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
    Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
    2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
    Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
    Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
    2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
    Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
    Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
    2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l

However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

"those that are able to" Most are able to, but not following the criminal advice handed out by the NHS, DUK, BDA and mods at the forum of flog.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 04:29