THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended Empty Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

Post by Jan1 Mon Feb 23 2015, 19:05

We don't often shop in Waitrose but we did today, and were tempted to buy 'Waitrose Rich, sweet layered Orkney crab with egg' at just 3.8g carb per half pack we have just enjoyed half a pack each of sublime tasting food. sunny

Eddie has always loved crab whereas until a few years ago I was not that keen. However, a holiday in the Isle of Wight changed that .....happy memories of that holiday, some years ago now, eating crab in a great pub garden whilst the children played in the pubs play area .... special memories, happy times indeed.

Anyway back to today - if you love crab and don't mind spending £3-49 on a great starter, treat call it what you will. Eddie and I can thoroughly recommend this:

Layered Orkney Crab With Egg Waitrose 200g

Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended 32240011_0_640x640

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended Empty Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

Post by Paul1976 Mon Feb 23 2015, 19:17

Looks like a trip to Waitrose is in order! Smile I LOVE Crab! Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended Empty Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

Post by Eddie Mon Feb 23 2015, 19:33

Reminds me of that old joke. I guy turned round to an old tart in a knocking shop and said jeez, you've got crabs. She said, what do you expect for a tenner scampi. affraid

Time I was off, goodnight folks.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Feb 24 2015, 10:22

The humble crab...Held in the most highest regard by Dr Bonkers...

"Crabs are not poison and those who chose to eat them are not addicts, there is no debate."

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carbs-and-statins.46926#post-423527

Post#3

Wink

Last edited by Paul on Wed Feb 25 2015, 08:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited to repair non working link)
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Feb 24 2015, 17:26

Jan1 wrote:We don't often shop in Waitrose but we did today, and were tempted to buy 'Waitrose Rich, sweet layered Orkney crab with egg' at just 3.8g carb per half pack we have just enjoyed half a pack each of sublime tasting food. sunny

Eddie has always loved crab whereas until a few years ago I was not that keen. However, a holiday in the Isle of Wight changed that .....happy memories of that holiday, some years ago now, eating crab in a great pub garden whilst the children played in the pubs play area .... special memories, happy times indeed.

Anyway back to today - if you love crab and don't mind spending £3-49 on a great starter, treat call it what you will. Eddie and I can thoroughly recommend this:

Layered Orkney Crab With Egg Waitrose 200g

All the best Jan

Anyway back to delicious food ...... have you bought any yet?

Wonder if Rick Stein does a good recipe using crab - bet he does.  sunny

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Feb 24 2015, 17:30

Tempted to get up to Cromer,Norfolk this summer and try some of the famous dressed Cromer Crab they have to offer-been too long since I've been to the coast.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Feb 24 2015, 17:55

Paul wrote:Tempted to get up to Cromer,Norfolk this summer and try some of the famous dressed Cromer Crab they have to offer-been too long since I've been to the coast.

What a brilliant idea Paul .... that IS the place to go and it is years since I / We have been up that way.

We could even have our own LCHF get-together Smile

Anyway we are staying with the fish theme tonight for dinner, it's cod served with cheesy cream leeks, a little cabbage and buttery mashed swede ...... Don't you just love the LCHF lifestyle. flower

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Tue Feb 24 2015, 22:14

Paul wrote:The humble crab...Held in the most highest regard by Dr Bonkers...

"Crabs are not poison and those who chose to eat them are not addicts, there is no debate."

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carbs-and-statins.46926/#post-423527

Post#3

Wink

Just another one of Sid rabid rants then Paul   Rolling Eyes

For some reason your link did not work for me try this one:

Edit: though my link worked in draft it does not when posted, is it just me or does anyone else have problem  Question
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Wed Feb 25 2015, 09:03

graham64 wrote:
    Paul wrote:The humble crab...Held in the most highest regard by Dr Bonkers...

Post#3

Wink

Just another one of Sid rabid rants then Paul   Rolling Eyes

For some reason your link did not work for me try this one:

Edit: though my link worked in draft it does not when posted, is it just me or does anyone else have problem  Question

Hi Graham!

I've found this happens sometimes with links to the big forum and to fix it I delete the last 'Forward slash' in the link that's before the # symbol in the link and that seems to work. Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 22 2015, 17:09

... yes, I know I've mentioned this dish before but today was one of those days when we thought we'd treat ourselves to

... and it tasted so lovely sunny

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Sep 22 2015, 17:58

Perversely although I may well eat a Cromer crab or two in season, and the fish van often has dressed crab, I prefer the canned ones from the Co-Op. Generally I use my all-purpose stir fry mix of bacon, coloured peppers, chillies and garlic in olive oil, toss in a few frozen king prawns and add a tin of crab, along with some lemon grass, ginger, toasted sesame oil and maybe also the juice of a lemon.

Deelish!
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Sep 22 2015, 18:05

chris c wrote:Perversely although I may well eat a Cromer crab or two in season, and the fish van often has dressed crab, I prefer the canned ones from the Co-Op. Generally I use my all-purpose stir fry mix of bacon, coloured peppers, chillies and garlic in olive oil, toss in a few frozen king prawns and add a tin of crab, along with some lemon grass, ginger, toasted sesame oil and maybe also the juice of a lemon.

Deelish!

Indeed it IS deelish Chris! Smile Very similar to my staple winter stir frys although I tend to use a lot of fresh lime juice in mine in place of the lemon...I also like water chestnuts in mine too but my wife picks all hers out...Can't win 'em all!
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Sep 22 2015, 18:07

Ooh lime juice! <puts lime on shopping list>
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 22 2015, 18:08

Paul1976 wrote:
    chris c wrote:Perversely although I may well eat a Cromer crab or two in season, and the fish van often has dressed crab, I prefer the canned ones from the Co-Op. Generally I use my all-purpose stir fry mix of bacon, coloured peppers, chillies and garlic in olive oil, toss in a few frozen king prawns and add a tin of crab, along with some lemon grass, ginger, toasted sesame oil and maybe also the juice of a lemon.

Deelish!

Indeed it IS deelish Chris! Smile Very similar to my staple winter stir frys although I tend to use a lot of fresh lime juice in mine in place of the lemon...I also like water chestnuts in mine too but my wife picks all hers out...Can't win 'em all!

Sounds a great menu idea guys ... thanks.

Sshh don't tell anyone but I'm not keen on water chestnuts either ...

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 22 2015, 18:09

chris c wrote:Ooh lime juice! <puts lime on shopping list>

I like lime juice - it's just water chestnuts I'm not keen on. LOL
    Should all homes always have limes and lemons Question

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Sep 22 2015, 18:24

My old man's favourite tipple - Roses Lime Juice.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 22 2015, 19:18

chris c wrote:My old man's favourite tipple - Roses Lime Juice.

Now that's a blast from the past Exclamation

When growing up, I can remember Robinson's Barley Water was always a great favourite in our house Exclamation

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 23 2015, 14:08

Talking Crab - I've just discovered this lovely recipe

Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended DSC_3732

Cilantro and Lime Crab Salad in Avocado Halves:

1/2 cup lump crab meat
    1/2 tbsp light mayonnaise
    1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
    2 tsp red onion, diced finely
    1-2 tsp jalapeño, diced finely
    1 tsp lime zest
    Juice from 1/2 a lime
    Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
    Dash of cumin
    1 avocado, cut in half, pit removed

Simply combine the lump crab meat, mayonnaise, cilantro, red onion, jalapeño, lime zest, lime juice, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and cumin together.
    Spoon the crab mixture into each avocado half and serve immediately. Enjoy.

Doesn't it look great

All the best Jan
    flower
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Sep 23 2015, 19:18

Jan1 wrote:

When growing up, I can remember Robinson's Barley Water was always a great favourite in our house Exclamation

All the best Jan
    My favourite was Dandelion and Burdock
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Sep 23 2015, 19:20

Oh I forgot the Cilantro!
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Wed Sep 23 2015, 19:20

chris c wrote:
    Jan1 wrote:

All the best Jan
    My favourite was Dandelion and Burdock

thumb-up Used to love a tin of Dandelion and Burdock with my fish and chip supper as a kid!
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 23 2015, 19:24

Now talking of Dandelion and Burdock I also found this!

Dandelion and burdock beer
    Dandelion and burdock roots, being perennial, are available all year, but it is important to collect them only when the leaves are visible so that you do not confuse them with anything nasty. Spring or autumn when the roots are at their fattest is the best time to search them out. Burdock has large, heart-shaped, furry leaves and a habit of providing us with those tiresome burs that accompany us home after a country walk.

Article and how to make it is here
    https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/dandelion-and-burdock-beer

Cheers Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 23 2015, 19:28

chris c wrote:Oh I forgot the Cilantro!

... add it to your shopping list - goes great with crab and many other dishes LOL  Smile

All the best Jan

PS Readers - You need to go back a few posts to see the avocado and crab recipe, with cilantro ... it's delicious!
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Sep 23 2015, 19:29

Paul1976 wrote:
    thumb-up Used to love a tin of Dandelion and Burdock with my fish and chip supper as a kid!
    A tin??? You heathen, ours came in big thick glass bottles. Was it R Whites?

Jan, I finally looked out the book I couldn't remember the author of, which relates also to a post on the blog

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=richard+mabey+food+for+free
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 23 2015, 19:38

chris c wrote:
    Paul1976 wrote:
    A tin??? You heathen, ours came in big thick glass bottles. Was it R Whites?

Jan, I finally looked out the book I couldn't remember the author of, which relates also to a post on the blog

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=richard+mabey+food+for+free

AG Barr famous for Scottish soft drink Irn Bru, produce a version of Dandelion and Burdock under the name D'n'B and the slogan "Tall, dark and drinksome".

See 'Wiki' here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion_and_burdock

--------

Thanks for the link for that book too, and yes it fits in with this blog post fantastically

http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/will-you-be-foraging-this-weekend.html

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 22:00