The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.


Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

    Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Share
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Jan1 on Mon Feb 23 2015, 19:05

    We don't often shop in Waitrose but we did today, and were tempted to buy 'Waitrose Rich, sweet layered Orkney crab with egg' at just 3.8g carb per half pack we have just enjoyed half a pack each of sublime tasting food. sunny

    Eddie has always loved crab whereas until a few years ago I was not that keen. However, a holiday in the Isle of Wight changed that .....happy memories of that holiday, some years ago now, eating crab in a great pub garden whilst the children played in the pubs play area .... special memories, happy times indeed.

    Anyway back to today - if you love crab and don't mind spending £3-49 on a great starter, treat call it what you will. Eddie and I can thoroughly recommend this:

    Layered Orkney Crab With Egg Waitrose 200g


    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Paul1976 on Mon Feb 23 2015, 19:17

    Looks like a trip to Waitrose is in order! Smile I LOVE Crab! Smile


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    avatar
    Eddie
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3767
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 67
    Location : London

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Eddie on Mon Feb 23 2015, 19:33

    Reminds me of that old joke. I guy turned round to an old tart in a knocking shop and said jeez, you've got crabs. She said, what do you expect for a tenner scampi. affraid

    Time I was off, goodnight folks.


    _________________
    Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Paul1976 on Tue Feb 24 2015, 10:22

    The humble crab...Held in the most highest regard by Dr Bonkers...

    "Crabs are not poison and those who chose to eat them are not addicts, there is no debate."

    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carbs-and-statins.46926#post-423527

    Post#3

    Wink


    Last edited by Paul on Wed Feb 25 2015, 08:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited to repair non working link)


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Jan1 on Tue Feb 24 2015, 17:26

    @Jan1 wrote:We don't often shop in Waitrose but we did today, and were tempted to buy 'Waitrose Rich, sweet layered Orkney crab with egg' at just 3.8g carb per half pack we have just enjoyed half a pack each of sublime tasting food. sunny

    Eddie has always loved crab whereas until a few years ago I was not that keen. However, a holiday in the Isle of Wight changed that .....happy memories of that holiday, some years ago now, eating crab in a great pub garden whilst the children played in the pubs play area .... special memories, happy times indeed.

    Anyway back to today - if you love crab and don't mind spending £3-49 on a great starter, treat call it what you will. Eddie and I can thoroughly recommend this:

    Layered Orkney Crab With Egg Waitrose 200g


    All the best Jan

    Anyway back to delicious food ...... have you bought any yet?

    Wonder if Rick Stein does a good recipe using crab - bet he does.  sunny

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Paul1976 on Tue Feb 24 2015, 17:30

    Tempted to get up to Cromer,Norfolk this summer and try some of the famous dressed Cromer Crab they have to offer-been too long since I've been to the coast.


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Jan1 on Tue Feb 24 2015, 17:55

    Paul wrote:Tempted to get up to Cromer,Norfolk this summer and try some of the famous dressed Cromer Crab they have to offer-been too long since I've been to the coast.

    What a brilliant idea Paul .... that IS the place to go and it is years since I / We have been up that way.

    We could even have our own LCHF get-together Smile

    Anyway we are staying with the fish theme tonight for dinner, it's cod served with cheesy cream leeks, a little cabbage and buttery mashed swede ...... Don't you just love the LCHF lifestyle. flower

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    graham64
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3069
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Lancs

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by graham64 on Tue Feb 24 2015, 22:14

    Paul wrote:The humble crab...Held in the most highest regard by Dr Bonkers...

    "Crabs are not poison and those who chose to eat them are not addicts, there is no debate."

    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carbs-and-statins.46926/#post-423527

    Post#3

    Wink

    Just another one of Sid rabid rants then Paul   Rolling Eyes

    For some reason your link did not work for me try this one:

    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carbs-and-statins.46926/#post-423527

    Edit: though my link worked in draft it does not when posted, is it just me or does anyone else have problem  Question


    _________________
    I'm a skinny T2 diagnosed 4/4/2008, a high calorie LCHF diet and one metformin a day A1c 6.2 and no complications.

    Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

    Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Paul1976 on Wed Feb 25 2015, 09:03

    @graham64 wrote:
    Paul wrote:The humble crab...Held in the most highest regard by Dr Bonkers...

    "Crabs are not poison and those who chose to eat them are not addicts, there is no debate."

    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carbs-and-statins.46926/#post-423527

    Post#3

    Wink

    Just another one of Sid rabid rants then Paul   Rolling Eyes

    For some reason your link did not work for me try this one:

    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carbs-and-statins.46926/#post-423527

    Edit: though my link worked in draft it does not when posted, is it just me or does anyone else have problem  Question

    Hi Graham!

    I've found this happens sometimes with links to the big forum and to fix it I delete the last 'Forward slash' in the link that's before the # symbol in the link and that seems to work. Smile


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Jan1 on Tue Sep 22 2015, 17:09

    ... yes, I know I've mentioned this dish before but today was one of those days when we thought we'd treat ourselves to


    ... and it tasted so lovely sunny

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by chris c on Tue Sep 22 2015, 17:58

    Perversely although I may well eat a Cromer crab or two in season, and the fish van often has dressed crab, I prefer the canned ones from the Co-Op. Generally I use my all-purpose stir fry mix of bacon, coloured peppers, chillies and garlic in olive oil, toss in a few frozen king prawns and add a tin of crab, along with some lemon grass, ginger, toasted sesame oil and maybe also the juice of a lemon.

    Deelish!
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Paul1976 on Tue Sep 22 2015, 18:05

    @chris c wrote:Perversely although I may well eat a Cromer crab or two in season, and the fish van often has dressed crab, I prefer the canned ones from the Co-Op. Generally I use my all-purpose stir fry mix of bacon, coloured peppers, chillies and garlic in olive oil, toss in a few frozen king prawns and add a tin of crab, along with some lemon grass, ginger, toasted sesame oil and maybe also the juice of a lemon.

    Deelish!

    Indeed it IS deelish Chris! Smile Very similar to my staple winter stir frys although I tend to use a lot of fresh lime juice in mine in place of the lemon...I also like water chestnuts in mine too but my wife picks all hers out...Can't win 'em all!
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by chris c on Tue Sep 22 2015, 18:07

    Ooh lime juice! <puts lime on shopping list>
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Jan1 on Tue Sep 22 2015, 18:08

    @Paul1976 wrote:
    @chris c wrote:Perversely although I may well eat a Cromer crab or two in season, and the fish van often has dressed crab, I prefer the canned ones from the Co-Op. Generally I use my all-purpose stir fry mix of bacon, coloured peppers, chillies and garlic in olive oil, toss in a few frozen king prawns and add a tin of crab, along with some lemon grass, ginger, toasted sesame oil and maybe also the juice of a lemon.

    Deelish!

    Indeed it IS deelish Chris! Smile Very similar to my staple winter stir frys although I tend to use a lot of fresh lime juice in mine in place of the lemon...I also like water chestnuts in mine too but my wife picks all hers out...Can't win 'em all!

    Sounds a great menu idea guys ... thanks.

    Sshh don't tell anyone but I'm not keen on water chestnuts either ...

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Jan1 on Tue Sep 22 2015, 18:09

    @chris c wrote:Ooh lime juice! <puts lime on shopping list>

    I like lime juice - it's just water chestnuts I'm not keen on. LOL
    Should all homes always have limes and lemons Question

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by chris c on Tue Sep 22 2015, 18:24

    My old man's favourite tipple - Roses Lime Juice.
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Jan1 on Tue Sep 22 2015, 19:18

    @chris c wrote:My old man's favourite tipple - Roses Lime Juice.

    Now that's a blast from the past Exclamation

    When growing up, I can remember Robinson's Barley Water was always a great favourite in our house Exclamation

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Jan1 on Wed Sep 23 2015, 14:08

    Talking Crab - I've just discovered this lovely recipe


    Cilantro and Lime Crab Salad in Avocado Halves:

    1/2 cup lump crab meat
    1/2 tbsp light mayonnaise
    1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
    2 tsp red onion, diced finely
    1-2 tsp jalapeño, diced finely
    1 tsp lime zest
    Juice from 1/2 a lime
    Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
    Dash of cumin
    1 avocado, cut in half, pit removed

    Simply combine the lump crab meat, mayonnaise, cilantro, red onion, jalapeño, lime zest, lime juice, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and cumin together.
    Spoon the crab mixture into each avocado half and serve immediately. Enjoy.


    Doesn't it look great

    All the best Jan
    flower
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by chris c on Wed Sep 23 2015, 19:18

    @Jan1 wrote:
    @chris c wrote:My old man's favourite tipple - Roses Lime Juice.

    Now that's a blast from the past Exclamation

    When growing up, I can remember Robinson's Barley Water was always a great favourite in our house Exclamation

    All the best Jan
    My favourite was Dandelion and Burdock
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by chris c on Wed Sep 23 2015, 19:20

    Oh I forgot the Cilantro!
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Paul1976 on Wed Sep 23 2015, 19:20

    @chris c wrote:
    @Jan1 wrote:
    @chris c wrote:My old man's favourite tipple - Roses Lime Juice.

    Now that's a blast from the past Exclamation

    When growing up, I can remember Robinson's Barley Water was always a great favourite in our house Exclamation

    All the best Jan
    My favourite was Dandelion and Burdock

    thumb-up Used to love a tin of Dandelion and Burdock with my fish and chip supper as a kid!


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Jan1 on Wed Sep 23 2015, 19:24

    Now talking of Dandelion and Burdock I also found this!

    Dandelion and burdock beer
    Dandelion and burdock roots, being perennial, are available all year, but it is important to collect them only when the leaves are visible so that you do not confuse them with anything nasty. Spring or autumn when the roots are at their fattest is the best time to search them out. Burdock has large, heart-shaped, furry leaves and a habit of providing us with those tiresome burs that accompany us home after a country walk.

    Article and how to make it is here
    https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/dandelion-and-burdock-beer

    Cheers Smile

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Jan1 on Wed Sep 23 2015, 19:28

    @chris c wrote:Oh I forgot the Cilantro!

    ... add it to your shopping list - goes great with crab and many other dishes LOL  Smile

    All the best Jan

    PS Readers - You need to go back a few posts to see the avocado and crab recipe, with cilantro ... it's delicious!
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by chris c on Wed Sep 23 2015, 19:29

    @Paul1976 wrote:
    thumb-up Used to love a tin of Dandelion and Burdock with my fish and chip supper as a kid!
    A tin??? You heathen, ours came in big thick glass bottles. Was it R Whites?

    Jan, I finally looked out the book I couldn't remember the author of, which relates also to a post on the blog

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=richard+mabey+food+for+free
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Orkney Crab with egg - Highly Recommended

    Post by Jan1 on Wed Sep 23 2015, 19:38

    @chris c wrote:
    @Paul1976 wrote:
    thumb-up Used to love a tin of Dandelion and Burdock with my fish and chip supper as a kid!
    A tin??? You heathen, ours came in big thick glass bottles. Was it R Whites?

    Jan, I finally looked out the book I couldn't remember the author of, which relates also to a post on the blog

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=richard+mabey+food+for+free

    AG Barr famous for Scottish soft drink Irn Bru, produce a version of Dandelion and Burdock under the name D'n'B and the slogan "Tall, dark and drinksome".

    See 'Wiki' here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion_and_burdock


    --------

    Thanks for the link for that book too, and yes it fits in with this blog post fantastically

    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/will-you-be-foraging-this-weekend.html

    All the best Jan

      Current date/time is Mon Nov 20 2017, 02:10