THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
Avocado Sevenfold
AliB
Sally
Jan1
Andy12345
zand
10 posters

Tea - Should the milk go in the cup first, or last when making a cuppa ?

AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Tea - Should the milk go in the cup first, or last when making a cuppa ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Tea - Should the milk go in the cup first, or last when making a cuppa ?

Post by AliB Thu Feb 19 2015, 23:33

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I am so jammy! Just picked up this from the charity shop for £4.99 It is massive though so you'll all have to come to tea some day Very Happy   Got it in almond.  http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Grand-Teapots.aspx#.VOYPd38gGSM

Andy - your water must be scalding hot it if makes cream go funny lol. I believe you have to wait a few minutes to pour the water for coffee, unlike tea which should be boiling.

Nice. But do you have to be an all-in wrestler to lift it when full???
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Tea - Should the milk go in the cup first, or last when making a cuppa ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Tea - Should the milk go in the cup first, or last when making a cuppa ?

Post by AliB Thu Feb 19 2015, 23:36

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I also got one of these today for £2.99. It's a wee casserole dish for roasting whole garlic bulbs.  I love roast garlic...so sweet.

http://www.lecreuset.com/petite-garlic-casserole

Awww sweet. But I bet the giant smoked garlic our daughter and SIL brought back from the Garlic Farm wouldn't fit in it..... :0)
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Fri Feb 20 2015, 05:36

My decision is really easy - I don't take milk in tea.

And I can't work out why anyone would want to pollute perfectly wonderful tea with the stuff Razz
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Fri Feb 20 2015, 09:05

AliB wrote:
    Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I am so jammy! Just picked up this from the charity shop for £4.99 It is massive though so you'll all have to come to tea some day Very Happy   Got it in almond.  http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Grand-Teapots.aspx#.VOYPd38gGSM

Andy - your water must be scalding hot it if makes cream go funny lol. I believe you have to wait a few minutes to pour the water for coffee, unlike tea which should be boiling.

Lol ! Must admit, when our casserole pot is full, it is hard work to lift !
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Fri Feb 20 2015, 13:28

mo1905 wrote:
    AliB wrote:

Lol ! Must admit, when our casserole pot is full, it is hard work to lift !

Yes they are 'heavy earthenware' without a doubt Smile
    Sure are made to have great tasting low carb food in them though Very Happy

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Tue Jan 05 2016, 14:26

Jan1 wrote:Do you prefer loose tea to tea bags?
    Should the milk go in first, or last when making a cup of tea?

Questions .....Questions and if you prefer coffee these questions may not matter to you. However, to tea lovers they are very important.

The words below are taken from an article in 'The Huffington Post' and may just answer some of your tea related questions.

Why not put the kettle on and have a refreshing cuppa before you read on.

Tea - Should the milk go in the cup first, or last when making a cuppa ? - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIgLb5MhN3gBAIyn3HEY3joYb3Kc40sYwKDod8c8xea1l8Ha7WCA

"It's a question that's divided the nation for decades: Should the milk go in first, or last when making a cup of tea?

But we may have had an answer to this conundrum right at our fingertips all along.

The British Standard's Institution has released a guide called "preparation of a liquor of tea for use in sensory tests" which was developed in 1980 to help professional tea testers.

It offers a set of guidelines to making the perfect cup of tea.

According to the extensive six-page guide, there should be 2g of tea for every 100ml of water. The water should not be heated to more than 85°C or you risk scalding the milk (and presumably having a sub-standard cuppa).

Having said that, the tea should always be above 60°C when served for "optimum flavour and sensation".

The tea must be brewed in a pot made of porcelain, but not just any old porcelain - "white porcelain or glazed earthenware, with its edge partly serrated” is required.

Milk should be added to cups while the tea is left to infuse in the pot for six minutes.

But it's not the end of the world if you add the milk afterwards, you just have to make sure it's the right temperature.

“If the milk is added afterwards, experience has shown that the best results are obtained when the temperature of the liquor is in the range 65 to 80°C when the milk is added," the guidelines state.

Organisations including the British Tea Producers’ Association, Tea Trade Committee and Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food helped to create the standards.

A previous survey found 35% of Brits are happy to skip the teapot stage and use a mug to make their tea.

It turns out many of us may be missing out on optimum tea, but unfortunately bringing a porcelain tea pot to the office isn't all that convenient."

Link to The Huffington Post Here  www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/

In the meantime I must go and pour myself another cuppa ...... now milk first or not?

All the best Jan

This long link may work better http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02/17/milk-in-before-or-after-making-tea_n_6696480.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk-lifestyle%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D330328

Well having recently got back from family celebrations the first thing I did ... before signing into the Forum ... was make a cup of tea, it really is my go to drink - and as one of the grandchildren recently said "Grandma's here someone put the kettle on !"

So, I'm off to enjoy another cup of tea ... see you later sunny

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13 2024, 09:48