THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
Avocado Sevenfold
AliB
Sally
Jan1
Andy12345
zand
10 posters

Tea - Should the milk go in the cup first, or last when making a cuppa ?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Tea - Should the milk go in the cup first, or last when making a cuppa ? Empty Tea - Should the milk go in the cup first, or last when making a cuppa ?

Post by Jan1 Tue Feb 17 2015, 15:11

Do you prefer loose tea to tea bags?
    Should the milk go in first, or last when making a cup of tea?

Questions .....Questions and if you prefer coffee these questions may not matter to you. However, to tea lovers they are very important.

The words below are taken from an article in 'The Huffington Post' and may just answer some of your tea related questions.

Why not put the kettle on and have a refreshing cuppa before you read on.

Tea - Should the milk go in the cup first, or last when making a cuppa ? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIgLb5MhN3gBAIyn3HEY3joYb3Kc40sYwKDod8c8xea1l8Ha7WCA

"It's a question that's divided the nation for decades: Should the milk go in first, or last when making a cup of tea?

But we may have had an answer to this conundrum right at our fingertips all along.

The British Standard's Institution has released a guide called "preparation of a liquor of tea for use in sensory tests" which was developed in 1980 to help professional tea testers.

It offers a set of guidelines to making the perfect cup of tea.

According to the extensive six-page guide, there should be 2g of tea for every 100ml of water. The water should not be heated to more than 85°C or you risk scalding the milk (and presumably having a sub-standard cuppa).

Having said that, the tea should always be above 60°C when served for "optimum flavour and sensation".

The tea must be brewed in a pot made of porcelain, but not just any old porcelain - "white porcelain or glazed earthenware, with its edge partly serrated” is required.

Milk should be added to cups while the tea is left to infuse in the pot for six minutes.

But it's not the end of the world if you add the milk afterwards, you just have to make sure it's the right temperature.

“If the milk is added afterwards, experience has shown that the best results are obtained when the temperature of the liquor is in the range 65 to 80°C when the milk is added," the guidelines state.

Organisations including the British Tea Producers’ Association, Tea Trade Committee and Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food helped to create the standards.

A previous survey found 35% of Brits are happy to skip the teapot stage and use a mug to make their tea.

It turns out many of us may be missing out on optimum tea, but unfortunately bringing a porcelain tea pot to the office isn't all that convenient."

Link to The Huffington Post Here  www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/

In the meantime I must go and pour myself another cuppa ...... now milk first or not?

All the best Jan

This long link may work better http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02/17/milk-in-before-or-after-making-tea_n_6696480.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk-lifestyle%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D330328

Last edited by Jan1 on Tue Feb 17 2015, 15:16; edited 1 time in total
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Tea - Should the milk go in the cup first, or last when making a cuppa ? Empty Re: Tea - Should the milk go in the cup first, or last when making a cuppa ?

Post by Paul1976 Tue Feb 17 2015, 15:13

Milk first for me everytime-tastes better to me anyway! Very Happy
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Tea - Should the milk go in the cup first, or last when making a cuppa ? Empty Re: Tea - Should the milk go in the cup first, or last when making a cuppa ?

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 17 2015, 15:33

Yikes! although that all sounds a bit much, but.... i do have to have my tea just so lol

tea bag under boiling water, let it brew for at least a minute, then milk added, very little milk (the spoon has to be able to stand up on its own

coffee milk first
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Tue Feb 17 2015, 15:54

Milk first for me, but I only leave it to stand for 5 minutes....maybe I'll try the extra minute to see if there's any difference. It has to made be in a teapot too Smile

Coffee - milk last
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 17 2015, 15:59

let us not forget green tea with lemon or cranberry, my drink of choice, that i drink with the bag left in, the stronger the better
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 17 2015, 16:02

oh crap i just remembered its pancake day and i have to go home and get me some ricotta cheese on the way, can't wait

although i have found pancake day very empowering this past few years, its one of those times its supposed to be difficult, frying the pancakes for everyone and denying myself a pancake gives me an enormous sense of achievement, in a zen monk kind of way, but sod it if i can make the low carb ones its all the better lol
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Tue Feb 17 2015, 17:26

Milk in first for me, last for my Mrs. I can't see it would make much difference ? I have very little milk though and I have to drink it piping hot, too hot to actually drink actually lol ! Little sips only !
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 17 2015, 17:46

Yessss little sips with it very hot is the way to go Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Feb 17 2015, 18:44

There is nothing worse than cold tea - I drink mine hot, tastes great,having made sure the milk has gone in first. Smile

Jan flower
    Sally
    Sally

Post by Sally Tue Feb 17 2015, 18:51

I'm sorry to have to tell you all this, especially as some of you have admitted to putting milk in first, but one is either a MILL or a MIFF (Milk In Last or Milk In First), or so I was told many years ago.  To be a Miff, I was assured, is social death.
    Do as I do, play it safe, take it black!
    Sally
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 17 2015, 19:05

Lol Wink
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Tue Feb 17 2015, 23:41

Not sure it matters with tea, although I ALWAYS put milk in first with instant coffee.

Pouring boiling water straight on to coffee can make it bitter. Done that way it's sweet enough to not need any sweetener. Full cream milk and a dribble of cream makes it quite sweet enough. Mmm mmm.
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Tue Feb 17 2015, 23:58

What a load of guff that Huffpost statement is.  It all depends how each person likes it.

Some people like it with plenty of milk or just a little, or none at all.

Some like builder's tea you can stand a spoon in, others like a friend of mine just show the teabag to the hot water.

....and people actually get paid to do that?  

Hmm.  Can I be paid for working out the optimum way to ride a dead donkey.....?
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Thu Feb 19 2015, 13:05

I am shocked to see all you good folk drinking milk! I gave it up in favour of double cream to cut the carbs, but maybe I was hasty. I thought I would give it a try yesterday after reading this thread to see how I got on.

Happy to report that I was 4.7 before and 4.7 two hours after a Tetley decaf with semi skimmed milk. Result! I put the milk in last Very Happy
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Feb 19 2015, 13:22

hehe cool

i can't do cream in hot drinks as i don't like the floaty bits on top, it looks too much the milk went off
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Thu Feb 19 2015, 13:50

Andy12345 wrote:hehe cool

i can't do cream in hot drinks as i don't like the floaty bits on top, it looks too much the milk went off

Mix the coffee granules and cream first into a paste and then add the hot water stirring like mad and you don't get the 'floaty bits' Wink
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Thu Feb 19 2015, 14:56

Andy you're a wuss. If it only looks like the milk went off, but it didn't really go off, what's the problem? Question Rolling Eyes Just close your eyes when you drink it. Smile
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Feb 19 2015, 15:50

zand wrote:

Andy you're a wuss.  If it only looks like the milk went off, but it didn't really go off, what's the problem?  Question  Rolling Eyes  Just close your eyes when you drink it. Smile

He'd miss his lips !
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Feb 19 2015, 16:05

lol

i didn't know about the mixing thing ill try it

i know it isn't off i just can't enjoy it

I'm from a very concrete place, the idea of cream in coffee would have got me shot Smile can't help being wussabetic
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Thu Feb 19 2015, 16:38

I am so jammy! Just picked up this from the charity shop for £4.99 It is massive though so you'll all have to come to tea some day Very Happy   Got it in almond. http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Grand-Teapots.aspx#.VOYPd38gGSM

Andy - your water must be scalding hot it if makes cream go funny lol. I believe you have to wait a few minutes to pour the water for coffee, unlike tea which should be boiling.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Feb 19 2015, 17:25

Cool I'll try it with cream again then thanks
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Feb 19 2015, 17:56

£4 is a fantastic deal for that. We have a casserole dish in same colour and same manufacturer and is real quality ( so I'm told ) :-)
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Thu Feb 19 2015, 18:02

mo1905 wrote:£4 is a fantastic deal for that. We have a casserole dish in same colour and same manufacturer and is real quality ( so I'm told ) :-)

I also got one of these today for £2.99. It's a wee casserole dish for roasting whole garlic bulbs. I love roast garlic...so sweet.

http://www.lecreuset.com/petite-garlic-casserole
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Feb 19 2015, 19:16

Le Creuset is a marvelous make ...... you did well cheers

Should Le Creuset items be on everyone's wedding present list ? I reckon if they were ..... then 10 / 20 /30 yrs more you'd still be using them.

All the best Jan
    Sharon

Post by Sharon Thu Feb 19 2015, 19:30

Tea milk first . Coffee also milk first .
    Always use full fat blue top milk .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 17:38