THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+7
sanguine
zand
Paul1976
graham64
mo1905
Mrs Vimes
Eddie
11 posters

New Years Resolutions

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

New Years Resolutions Empty New Years Resolutions

Post by Eddie Sun Dec 28 2014, 11:27

I don’t usually make New Years Resolutions, when I have in the past they usually last a few days, but this year I am making a couple and will stick to them. Some of us mentioned about losing some weight. I said the same and I need to shift a bit more than I thought. I knew my weight had crept up a bit over the last year or so, the reason, too much booze and not enough physical activity. I often talk about the need for exercise, the truth is the last time I did any exercise was when pressed into at School 50 years ago. That being said I played golf for the thick end of 50 years and often played every day, sometimes two rounds in a day. I used to maintain my own property. I used to clean our cars sometimes twice a week, I was into gardening big time. I used to do a hell of a lot of walking. OK you get the picture. I was always on the go. So, more movement is required, The sofa is being unbolted from my arse on New Years day, OK maybe the day after, as New Years Eve is my birthday, and I have laid on a copious amount of booze, I may not get much further than the carzie New Years day.

Over the Christmas break I got my very accurate weighing scales back from one of our kids, weight 185 lbs oh dear. My best weight which gives me a 32” waist and minimal blubber is 165, so, 20 lbs to lose. I reckon this will be very easy to shift. Calorie restriction from 2500 minimum to around 1300. Carbs from around 50 per day to 30. 1300 calories does not sound much, but I think some will be surprised how much you can actually eat and stay within that limit. I will list the nosh and post up some photographs of the meals.

My second resolution will be much harder to stick to. I am going to try and stop posting about low carb antis, that for me will be a tough gig. But as I said in another post here today, those junk eaters are subsidising our low carb high quality nosh. Maybe they deserve more appreciation than I have given them over the years. It’s just dawned on me many of those carb noshers will be working to pay my old age pension, nice one. Very Happy

Anyone else making New Years Resolutions? come on don’t be shy.
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

New Years Resolutions Empty Re: New Years Resolutions

Post by Mrs Vimes Sun Dec 28 2014, 19:52

I'm looking at getting my total daily dose back down to low 20s. I like protein too much and it does eventually need insulin about 3 hours after eating. I need to remember I'm doing lchf and not Atkins.

I also want to be able to do pull ups unassisted. I'm using 27kg on the assisted pull up machine at the mo.

I'm squatting and deadlifting 40kg, I'd like to get that to 60kg - just heavier than me!

And cut out sugar free jelly - my big addiction because it's basically just chemicals / plastic.

Oh and try to stop swearing (prob never f@@@@& happening).

Golfing I heard ruins a good walk. Get on the weights Eddie the affects on sugars last for hours. I get a 'free dinner' out of it. (No bolusing needed and reduced basal after a session)
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Dec 28 2014, 20:32

Pretty much same as you Eddie. Weight loss is my main target and same culprit, too much booze. I reckon I'm currently about 245lbs but I've always been a bit of a lump. I'd like to get down to 220. I am cutting booze completely for January for a head start. I'll then switch from beer to wine, only at the weekend though. I will try to increase exercise but I'm fairly active anyway. If anyone wants to record progress here please feel free !
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sun Dec 28 2014, 21:36

I made a New Years resolution many years ago and that was not not to make any more Laughing what's more is that I've not wavered in my resolve and managed to stick with it cheers

How good is that Question
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Mon Dec 29 2014, 11:34

My one and only resolution is the same as Eddie and Mo...BOOZE!! I drank far more booze last year than my wallet or liver could reasonably withstand and not much exercise either to boot! The upshot of this is putting on a fair bit of blubber and have gone from a lean 180 lbs at 6 ft 1" tall to 220 lbs which I am currently sitting at...I can easily halve my calorie intake by stopping alcohol and still eat the same as I do now so the theory is ketosis with half the calories should equal me dropping all the blubber by easter...well that's the theory anyway! Cool
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Mon Dec 29 2014, 12:06

My New Year's Resolution should probably be.....not to get upset when you guys all manage to lose weight simply by giving up booze! If only it was that easy for me......and I've got a lot more weight to lose than the rest of you. Sad
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Dec 29 2014, 12:33

To Mo and Paul, looks like we have a new name 'The Blubber Brothers' I am looking forward to this challenge and booze seems to be the common factor. Mo I don't think swapping wine for the beer will help you, as I only drink around a dozen pints a years. A bottle of wine is around six hundred calories kapesch !

It's got to be no booze for me. I have no problem cutting it out altogether but you know what it's like, one glass of wine leads to two leads to three. Total abstinence for us all I reckon will be best. Now I trust you guys so how about a bet? £50 per man first to lose 20 lbs wins. Weigh in on the 2nd of January, reporting in once per week. I reckon about ten weeks should see off 20 lbs without going berzo, what say you guys.

Zand what do you reckon you daily calorie intake is and what sort of carb count, if that is not being out of order to ask. Feel free to tell me to mind my own business, in no uncertain terms. affraid
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Mon Dec 29 2014, 12:41

@eddie1 - no time to answer you properly, I'll be back later. Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Dec 29 2014, 12:42

zand wrote:@eddie1 - no time to answer you properly, I'll be back later.  Smile

Don't give me that old BS, spill the beans ! only kidding lol!
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Mon Dec 29 2014, 15:05

I can't join you in the bet because I don't need to lose more than another 10lb* (and that's the visceral fat remaining on my stomach so that's a longer term project) but I'm happy to reduce the alcohol.  November and December are not good months at Sanguine Towers for reducing alcohol, but we will now be trying to restrict wine consumption to a shared bottle of red on Fridays and Saturdays.  I only drink beer if I'm out with mates and just have a pint of decent bitter, and that's barely once a month.  I'll have the occasional malt though, especially if it's cold out (or I've got a cold).

* apologies if that sounds smug, it's not meant to be!
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Dec 29 2014, 18:10

£50 bit strong for me straight after Xmas but I like to make things a little interesting. £10 to the charity of the winners choice ?
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Dec 29 2014, 18:12

zand wrote:My New Year's Resolution should probably be.....not to get upset when you guys all manage to lose weight simply by giving up booze!  If only it was that easy for me......and I've got a lot more weight to lose than the rest of you.  Sad
    Booze is only liquid food Zand and trust me, it won't be easy !
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Dec 29 2014, 18:17

mo1905 wrote:£50 bit strong for me straight after Xmas but I like to make things a little interesting. £10 to the charity of the winners choice ?

Compromise...£20 to the charity of the winners choice in 10 weeks time? Wink
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Dec 29 2014, 18:20

Paul wrote:
    mo1905 wrote:£50 bit strong for me straight after Xmas but I like to make things a little interesting. £10 to the charity of the winners choice ?

Compromise...£20 to the charity of the winners choice in 10 weeks time? Wink

Done ! ( think I have been )
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Mon Dec 29 2014, 18:35

Ok I'm starting a book

Mo 2-1
    Paul 2-1
    Eddie 1-2 on 

(based on stubbornness)
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Dec 29 2014, 18:39

Andy12345 wrote:Ok I'm starting a book

Mo 2-1
    Paul 2-1
    Eddie 1-2 on 

(based on stubbornness)

You have me weighed up Andy. I will win this bet if I have to saw my f**king leg off to get to the right weight. affraid
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Dec 29 2014, 18:50

eddie1 wrote:

Mo 2-1
    Paul 2-1
    Eddie 1-2 on 

(based on stubbornness)

You have me weighed up Andy. I will win this bet if I have to saw my f**king leg off to get to the right weight. affraid

Bring it on Vader :-)
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Dec 29 2014, 18:53

mo1905 wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:

Mo 2-1
    Paul 2-1
    Eddie 1-2 on 

(based on stubbornness)

Bring it on Vader :-)

Any time you are feeling lucky Mo Laughing
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Dec 29 2014, 18:59

I'll let you know my winning charity of choice in due course... Wink Razz
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Dec 29 2014, 19:13

Paul wrote:I'll let you know my winning charity of choice in due course... Wink Razz

My charity is 'help the aged' as I only a few days before joining the decrepit and one foot in the grave ones. Jeez, sex. drugs and rock and roll has been my downfall. Take heed my friends, that kind of life is very shallow. But as shallow lives go, you could do worse.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Dec 29 2014, 19:42

I'll pick Children In Need ! Game on :-) Any other takers ?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Dec 29 2014, 20:11

Gonna split between Cancer research UK and Clic Sargent if I win so bring it on! Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Dec 29 2014, 20:41

Good luck to all with the New Year resolutions. Mine is to take an extra walk in the week.

I'm not into running or rowing machines - so an extra walk will be just fine.  sunny

Sorry it may not be terribly exciting ..........

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Dec 29 2014, 21:00

Nothing wrong with walking Jan ! One of the best workouts there is :-)
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Mon Dec 29 2014, 21:06

For obvious reasons I will not be partaking in your weight loss challenge but if you require any assistance in disposing of any spare high calorie red wine I'm your man drunken

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 00:30