THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
Paul1976
Moose
graham64
Andy12345
carty
9 posters

How Margarine breaks your bones

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

How Margarine breaks your bones  Empty How Margarine breaks your bones

Post by Eddie Wed Oct 29 2014, 11:10

How Margarine breaks your bones  ID-10019380

Scientists have known for more than a decade that the omega-6 fats contained in vegetable oils (like those used to manufacture margarine) degrade human bone density.  Now new research has thrown light on how that happens and why anyone concerned about osteoporosis needs to immediately stop consuming them.

One in twenty Australians have osteoporosis (Greek for ‘porous bones’) and 1 in 4 have low bone density (the precursor to osteoporosis). The number of people affected is accelerating wildly. In the last 10 years the number of GP visits related to osteoporosis has doubled in Australia.

Our bones are not static lumps of rock.  They are living tissue which constantly accumulate and dispose of minerals.  Osteoporosis occurs when bones lose minerals, such as calcium, more quickly than the body can replace them.  This causes a loss of bone thickness (bone density or mass).

As bones become thinner and less dense, even a minor bump or fall can cause a serious fracture. Unfortunately most people don’t know they have the disease until after they suffer a break.  Eight out of ten cases are recorded in people over the age of 55 but the age of onset is becoming progressively younger.

Osteoporosis medicines work by making the cells that break down bone (osteoclasts) less active.  This tips the balance towards accumulation of minerals by the cells that form bone (osteoblasts).

Every processed food on the supermarket shelves is loaded with omega-6 fats (in the form of seed oils).  Every fried food has been boiled in omega-6 fats (seed oils again). Our National Heart Foundation actively encourages us to eat margarines brimming with omega-6 fats (yep, seed oils).  And the charity responsible for advice about Osteoporosis doesn’t even mention the known link between omega-6 fats and the disease.

Read the full article here http://davidgillespie.org/how-margarine-breaks-your-bones/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+raisinhell+%28Raisin+Hell%29

Eddie
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

How Margarine breaks your bones  Empty Re: How Margarine breaks your bones

Post by Jan1 Wed Oct 29 2014, 13:26

I can remember being told by my GP how important calcium was to aid better bone health, he also went on to say that although men and women can develop osteoporosis, 'women of a certain age' can be more at risk of developing osteoporosis than men because of the hormonal changes that occur in the menopause.

For many reasons I am so glad we made the switch from soft spreads to real butter .... I just wish even more would throw their tub of chemical goo (as I've seen it called) into the bin and go out and buy butter.

David Gillespie's article one to read I reckon Smile

All the best Jan
    carty

Post by carty Wed Oct 29 2014, 19:36

My husband calls all margarine« Lard» but I think that is better for us !!
    CAROL
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Wed Oct 29 2014, 19:46

No how do they sleep?
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Wed Oct 29 2014, 19:49

Good quality lard is a fantastic health food.

"This rendered pig blubber is not a typical saturated animal fat. With an unusual chemical composition, pure lard contains no trans fats.

And in terms of its fatty acids, it’s better than butter: Lard is 60 per cent monounsaturated fat, which is associated with a decreased risk of heart disease. Butter is 45 per cent monounsaturated fat.

Most of lard’s monounsaturated fat is oleic acid, a heart-healthy essential fatty acid found in olive oil and associated with decreasing LDLs, thus lowering “bad” cholesterol. Lard contains about double the amount of oleic acid found in butter, says Nick Bellissimo, assistant professor in Ryerson University’s Department of Nutrition.

Lard’s smoke point is high, about 190C (375F), sources say, making it the ideal frying oil, offering lighter, fluffier, flakier and crispier battered chicken and pie crusts fried in a shorter time, without burning and turning carcinogenic.

Pig fat is odourless and tasteless when rendered properly.

Lard and butter have the same trace amounts of cholesterol — about 95 milligrams per 100 grams of fat, says Bellissimo."

Read more here http://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/nutrition/2013/05/14/why_lards_healthier_than_you_think.html
    carty

Post by carty Wed Oct 29 2014, 19:54

Yes but my husband does not like it on his toast !! He likes dripping though and hates fat and they say women are contrary Shocked
    CAROL
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Wed Oct 29 2014, 19:59

These are the facts. Trans fats i.e. man made fats are a health hazard, no one disagrees these days. But we would die without access to good natural fats, that is a fact. We also must have proteins to live. There is no such thing as an essential carb, that is also a fact.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Wed Oct 29 2014, 22:58

Check this out from Kris Gunnars for the real low down on margarine

Butter vs Margarine – Why I Trust Cows More Than Chemists

http://authoritynutrition.com/butter-vs-margarine/
    Moose
    Moose
    Forum Jester

Post by Moose Wed Oct 29 2014, 23:02

The only way Margarine can harm your bones if a large tub it falls of a tall shelve and hits you.

A parting gift.

Moose
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Wed Oct 29 2014, 23:06

Hey moose! Any reason you're posting behind a Proxy at times in China or share an IP address with a banned troll between 9-5 pm ? Twisted Evil

Oh dear oh dear
    Moose
    Moose
    Forum Jester

Post by Moose Wed Oct 29 2014, 23:17

Paul wrote:Hey moose! Any reason you're posting behind a Proxy at times in China or share an IP address with a banned troll between 9-5 pm ? Twisted Evil

Oh dear oh dear

TOR comes with updated browsers in linux and android Sherlock. I would keep of the whois client it not healthy for people suffer from paranoia.

Jeez, don't you dudes know anything about I.T

What's a RS232 flume tube extender Paul?

Moose
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Thu Oct 30 2014, 12:41

In the 1930s Weston Price found high vitamin butter oil to be very healing. It contained what he called 'Activator X' - what is now strongly believed to be Vitamin K2. K2 is an orchestrator amongst many things. It helps to field minerals like calcium into the bones and teeth where they should be, and out of the arteries, where they shouldn't be. Without enough K2 in the diet, calcium can end up just floating around the body causing trouble.

He found, through testing lots of different butter samples, that the type of grass made a big difference to the quality and amount of K2, but there will always be K2 in 'grass-fed' butter. The more orange the butter, the more K2. It is found in small amounts in 'grass-fed' meat and eggs, etc., and in fermented foods, especially Japanese natto.

There are a few good seed oils like flax/linseed which has a high amount of Omega 3 (I bought some the other day from an Equestrian centre - cheaper source than the health shop. You need to check the use by date though as seed oils go rancid very quickly), but seed oils should never be heated. When heated, they change property and turn into something akin to varnish - which you will know if you've ever tried to scrape congealed oil off a chip fryer. Varnish was traditionally made from boiled Linseed oil, and 'varnished' oil can clog the cells in the body.

Sat fats, like butter, lard and tallow however, do not change when heated, and cleaning it off utensils is a doddle.

Olive oil is monounsaturated, so has properties of both. It can tolerate heat, but not as high as sat fats.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Thu Oct 30 2014, 14:46

Thank you Eddie for starting this thread and also Ali and Jan for your posts, I have found them interesting and helpful.

For a year or so (way back) I changed from frying chips in lard to using 'vegetable' oil instead. The pan was extremely difficult to clean after using the oil and I changed back again, using the reasoning that if it sticks to the pan like this then it will be sticking to our veins in the same way. That was when I started to stop listening to mainstream 'healthy eating advice'.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Thu Oct 30 2014, 14:49

Moose wrote:
    Paul wrote:Hey moose! Any reason you're posting behind a Proxy at times in China or share an IP address with a banned troll between 9-5 pm ? Twisted Evil

Oh dear oh dear

What's a RS232 flume tube extender Paul?

Moose

Sounds like something Moose's friend Stefan would use in his spare time. Wink affraid
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Fri Oct 31 2014, 18:39

zand wrote:Thank you Eddie for starting this thread and also Ali and Jan for your posts, I have found them interesting and helpful.  

For a year or so (way back) I changed from frying chips in lard to using 'vegetable' oil instead.  The pan was extremely difficult to clean after using the oil and I changed back again, using the reasoning that if it sticks to the pan like this then it will be sticking to our veins in the same way.  That was when I started to stop listening to mainstream 'healthy eating advice'.  

Cheers Zand ....that's why I love reading forums and blogs. There is so much helpful information for us to share. It's by listening, reading and exchanging views, experiences, helpful articles. We can then all read and decide what is best for us.

Bought some more butter when I was out shopping. Top of my shopping list was butter, eggs and cream.   Smile

All the best Jan
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Oct 31 2014, 18:53

AliB wrote:In the 1930s Weston Price found high vitamin butter oil to be very healing.  It contained what he called 'Activator X' - what is now strongly believed to be Vitamin K2.  K2 is an orchestrator amongst many things.  It helps to field minerals like calcium into the bones and teeth where they should be, and out of the arteries, where they shouldn't be.  Without enough K2 in the diet, calcium can end up just floating around the body causing trouble.

He found, through testing lots of different butter samples, that the type of grass made a big difference to the quality and amount of K2, but there will always be K2 in 'grass-fed' butter.  The more orange the butter, the more K2.  It is found in small amounts in 'grass-fed' meat and eggs, etc., and in fermented foods, especially Japanese natto.

There are a few good seed oils like flax/linseed which has a high amount of Omega 3 (I bought some the other day from an Equestrian centre - cheaper source than the health shop.  You need to check the use by date though as seed oils go rancid very quickly), but seed oils should never be heated.  When heated, they change property and turn into something akin to varnish - which you will know if you've ever tried to scrape congealed oil off a chip fryer.  Varnish was traditionally made from boiled Linseed oil, and 'varnished' oil can clog the cells in the body.  

Sat fats, like butter, lard and tallow however, do not change when heated, and cleaning it off utensils is a doddle.

Olive oil is monounsaturated, so has properties of both.  It can tolerate heat, but not as high as sat fats.

I agree 100% and as always a top notch and thought provoking post from you Ali.

Regards Eddie
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Fri Oct 31 2014, 19:48

Thanks Eddie.  I find the whole aspect of research on food and nutrition highly fascinating.

The Weston Price Foundation has lots of very interesting articles on its website, about fats and oils and K2 and a host of other beneficial foods and elements.  There are thousands of people eating the WAPF way, and even local 'chapters' around the US and UK (and probably other countries too) where people can get together for discussion, seminars, recipes, etc.

It's really all about eating and preparing food in traditional ways to get the most out of them nutritionally.  Sally Fallon Morrell's book 'Nourishing Traditions' is very enlightening (she is the WAPF director).  Weston Price's book 'Nutrition and Physical Degeneration' is very interesting too, but if you consider buying it, make sure you get the complete version with all 27 chapters as there is a condensed version floating around that is missing 6 chapters.  You can read the condensed version online for free.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200251h.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07 2024, 18:07