THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

How Margarine breaks your bones !

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

How Margarine breaks your bones ! Empty How Margarine breaks your bones !

Post by Eddie Sat Aug 15 2015, 19:33

How Margarine breaks your bones ! ID-10019380

Scientists have known for more than a decade that the omega-6 fats contained in vegetable oils (like those used to manufacture margarine) degrade human bone density.  Now new research has thrown light on how that happens and why anyone concerned about osteoporosis needs to immediately stop consuming them.

One in twenty Australians have osteoporosis (Greek for ‘porous bones’) and 1 in 4 have low bone density (the precursor to osteoporosis). The number of people affected is accelerating wildly. In the last 10 years the number of GP visits related to osteoporosis has doubled in Australia.

Our bones are not static lumps of rock.  They are living tissue which constantly accumulate and dispose of minerals.  Osteoporosis occurs when bones lose minerals, such as calcium, more quickly than the body can replace them.  This causes a loss of bone thickness (bone density or mass).

As bones become thinner and less dense, even a minor bump or fall can cause a serious fracture. Unfortunately most people don’t know they have the disease until after they suffer a break.  Eight out of ten cases are recorded in people over the age of 55 but the age of onset is becoming progressively younger.

Osteoporosis medicines work by making the cells that break down bone (osteoclasts) less active.  This tips the balance towards accumulation of minerals by the cells that form bone (osteoblasts).

Every processed food on the supermarket shelves is loaded with omega-6 fats (in the form of seed oils).  Every fried food has been boiled in omega-6 fats (seed oils again). Our National Heart Foundation actively encourages us to eat margarines brimming with omega-6 fats (yep, seed oils).  And the charity responsible for advice about Osteoporosis doesn’t even mention the known link between omega-6 fats and the disease.

Read the full article here. http://davidgillespie.org/how-margarine-breaks-your-bones/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+raisinhell+%28Raisin+Hell%29
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

How Margarine breaks your bones ! Empty Re: How Margarine breaks your bones !

Post by Jan1 Sun Aug 16 2015, 17:45

Osteoporosis does of course become more common with age, and the older we get the more important it becomes to feed our bodies 'correctly'. Of course 'correctly' can mean one thing to one person and something entirely different to another.

So many are diagnosed with an illness, then do further research ... and find out how diet / foods  / lifestyle can play such an important role in our health. Such sense we think, but do a lot of people think? When out in a supermarket and looking at some people's trolley loads of cereals, white bread, margarine etc I think  affraid

We can do so much to help and aid ourselves to better health and well being, but we have to go looking for information ... and then double check and triple check the information.

I made the decision seven years ago that when Eddie went LCHF then I would too. My reason was to do what I could to perhaps deter Alzheimer's, this terrible disease seems to run in my family and of course a  LCHF lifestyle can help so much.

But this lifestyle can help so many other diseases/ illnesses and I think Osteoporosis falls into this category too. Eating butter instead of margarine, eating healthy fats such as avocados, ensuring your Vit D levels are ok so much can be done ...

There is more about Osteoporsis here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteoporosis ... it is also interesting to note that "Thiazolidinediones (used for diabetes) – rosiglitazone and possibly pioglitazone, inhibitors of PPARγ, have been linked with an increased risk of osteoporosis and fractures"

Eat whole real fresh foods stay away from processed. If man has meddled has he meddled for the best??? So often the answer is No and our health suffers.

Is margarine still in your house?

When did you swap to butter?

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Aug 16 2015, 18:15

The nearest I come to Omega 6 oils now is the cold pressed rapeseed oil from a local farm which actually contains a substantial amount of Omega 3 and monounsaturates.

We evolved on a ratio of O6 to O3 somewhere between 1:2 and 4:1, modern diets may be 10:1 or even 20:1 or more. Not only the absolute quantities but the ratio appears to be important.

Yet another Epic Fail - but profitable.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Aug 16 2015, 18:20

chris c wrote:

............................ but profitable.

Two key words from your paragraph Exclamation

Could we add Profit over People?

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Aug 16 2015, 18:41

Ah but then they get to prescribe you alendronic acid and calcichew to undo the effects of the marge.

Then PPIs to guard against the side effects of the alendronic acid. And so it goes.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Aug 16 2015, 18:44

chris c wrote:Ah but then they get to prescribe you alendronic acid and calcichew to undo the effects of the marge.

Then PPIs to guard against the side effects of the alendronic acid. And so it goes.

And so it goes on ... it does indeed.

A vicious circle and the reward goes to ??  I wonder!

For me it's LCHF - just wished I realised / knew this a few years back

But onwards ...

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Aug 17 2015, 18:21

Yes it has cured things I didn't even know were wrong with me.

Those birds and other creatures seem to do OK without dieticians telling them what they ate for millennia are wrong, or foodlike substance manufacturing plants. They even know how to put on fat for migration or to guard against the winter cold and food shortages, AND how to lose it again by changing their diet back when they no longer require it, imagine that.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Mon Aug 17 2015, 20:23

chris c wrote:Ah but then they get to prescribe you alendronic acid and calcichew to undo the effects of the marge.

Yes! That's exactly what has happened to my elderly Aunt and the X-Ray above looks just like her wrist this time last year. She still has every faith in doctors. The sad thing is she thinks my diet is truly weird and won't touch it. Rolling Eyes
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Aug 18 2015, 18:45

I eventually had some success persuading my mother to reduce her carbs but by then it was really too late.

She died because she fell due to the neuropathy she didn't have from the diabetes she didn't have and smashed what was left of her pelvis, some of which perforated her bowel.

On the other hand she was so completely worn out that if that hadn't got her she'd have died of something else, but still . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 21:49