THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

The Good Old Days !

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

The Good Old Days ! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Good Old Days !

Post by Jan1 Sat Jul 28 2018, 18:42

Do you know the title of this post thread always brings back memories of the BBC show - have to say my mum and dad enjoyed watching it, and it was a favourite in our house  Smile

"The Good Old Days, British television’s longest-running variety show, broadcast from 1953 to 1983, is being re-shown on Fridays on BBC Four. *
    What a pleasure it has been to watch once again great speciality acts of the past: trick cyclists, comedy drunks, ventriloquists, knife throwers. The Good Old Days aimed to recreate the golden age of music hall.
    The programme came from the ornate Leeds City Varieties Theatre, a Grade II-listed music hall built in 1865. The audience all wore Edwardian-era clothes."

* It was actually 2016 it was re-shown, see this article here
    https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/644731/Good-Old-Days-BBC-brings-back-comedy

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Jul 28 2018, 22:02

OMG yes I remember that! In black and white on Gran's TV with the goldfish bowl screen and a spider who lived in one corner behind the glass.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Aug 02 2018, 21:56

OK the coffee saga becomes more surreal. They are now discounting the small tins of Millicano - except they are out of stock. The large cans and refill packs are back to full price now.

Reminds me of another classic - The Twilight Zone.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Aug 11 2018, 23:52

And still it continues, the Millicano is off discount and back on the shelves, along with the refill packs - but now the large tins are on at £4 again so just to be on the safe side I bought two more. Now I have enough coffee in the cupboard to last until Christmas.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Aug 12 2018, 14:10

"Now I have enough coffee in the cupboard to last until Christmas."

Think of all the money you've saved to go towards other necessary Christmas goodies Razz

Have to say we are still sticking with the M&S coffee, it does taste nice and for me to say that when I'm not often a coffee drinker must be good - I think!

Anyway kettle is on for a cuppa

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Aug 13 2018, 23:08

Sadly the butter is all still around £2, just so I don't get bored I bought President, Anchor and Kerrygold.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Mon Aug 13 2018, 23:15

chris c wrote:Sadly the butter is all still around £2, just so I don't get bored I bought President, Anchor and Kerrygold.

Still getting President at £1.75 from Asda it's been on offer for a few months now  Cool
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Aug 13 2018, 23:22

£2.10 in the Co-Op Sad Not sure if there's an ASDA around these parts, but I'd have to buy a lot to make up for the cost of the diesel to get there.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Aug 15 2018, 13:48

I can remember (and not that long ago) when butter was under £1-00 … now it seems you are lucky if you can get it for under £2-00.

It's still high up on my shopping list though thumb-up

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Aug 17 2018, 23:50

Margarine's still cheap. Just saying . . . of course it's a win-win for the bastards, they put so many dairy farms out of business through paying less than the cost of production for their milk, now demand has gone up so have the prices. Ker-ching.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Aug 19 2018, 18:16

Do you know,  I wouldn't have a clue on the price of margarine I tend to walk straight past it.

… we recently had a family get-together and we were talking about us as grandparents and also what we remember from when we visited grandparents. One of my memories (and I have a lot) was seeing Grandma with the dripping bowl, and spreading it on home made bread … she lived until she was 99yrs!

What is Dripping?
    In home cooking, dripping was made by collecting the hot fat left in the roasting pan into a heatproof vessel, covering it and leavening it to cool.
    Nowadays, dripping is mainly used as a cooking fat used either to shallow fry meat or to dot over a joint to keep it moist during cooking. However, in the past, dripping was also used as a spread; like butter, it was spread on bread.

https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-lard-and-vs-dripping/

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Aug 19 2018, 22:03

Oh yes mother had a dripping bowl, even before we had a fridge it lived in the meat safe. She would pour in the (mostly lamb) fat and take off the top layer when it had solidified, and every so often chuck out the crud which collected underneath. Her roast spuds were to die for.

I had another memory of Gran proudly showing her the block of Trex - an early trans fat - so they didn't quite get everything right!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 05:28