THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
graham64
Eddie
6 posters

Simple days.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Simple days. Empty Simple days.

Post by Eddie Thu Mar 24 2016, 21:16

I have just been watching a program tonight about the days of steam railways. That was my world as a kid. Imagine the change I have seen, from steam railways to Concord and beyond. From the days of waiting months for a phone line (often a shared party line with next door neighbours) to the internet, and instant communication with almost anyone in the world.

So much progress, but in many ways, I miss the time when I grew up. The annual holiday was spent down in Ramsgate with my Grandmother, who lived in a very big four story terraced house. We travelled down by steam train, which was very exciting. At my Grandmothers I shared a huge and very high double bed with my brother. The place reeked of lavender polish, and in the bedrooms we had very large china bowls and huge china jugs filled with water for washing our faces and hands in the morning. No on suite bathrooms in those days.

My old Granny was a bingo nut, and always had lots of great stuff she had won for me and my brother. Stuff like cowboy hats and cap guns. She was a lovely old lady and never a cross word, she died from diabetes complications at around 65 years of age. One of my earliest memories was the day she died. My Mum was doing the washing with an old fashioned boiler, stirring the washing with a big stick, (when we received a telegram we did not have a phone). The telegram informed my Mum, her Mum had died. It was the only time I saw my Mum cry.

I remember searching among the rock pools on the beach, and staring in wonder at the sea. On the way back to my Grannies, we would stop at the Eagle pub. In those days kids were not allowed in pubs, so while my parents had a pre dinner drink inside, my brother and myself would sit outside with a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps. Simple days, but I could understand those days. These days, I am not so sure.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Simple days. Empty Re: Simple days.

Post by graham64 Thu Mar 24 2016, 23:03

Steam trains those were the days as kids we could get to Blackpool cheaply spend the day on the funfair when we had the money and get fed at my Aunt and Uncle's who lived there. As I got into my teens I used to go with my mates by train to Arnside a small pretty village on the outskirts of the Lake District some good walks to be had and if you timed it right there was the Tidal bore announced by the sound of a warning klaxon

Not forgetting the Albion a great pub that served Boddingtons when it was a real ale still brewed in Manchester  beer

Simple days. Dsc_0120
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Fri Mar 25 2016, 10:42

Some happy memories there Eddie, Graham. I too remember similar experiences ( OK, maybe not steam lol ) which seem archaic now but are still vivid in my mind and were such a huge part of growing up. No mobiles, 2p for a phone call. We even had a payphone in our house ( which was hugely embarrassing at the time ) due to my mum screaming at some huge bills previously ( 7 kids ! ).
    Train travel was a regular thing for me. Neither of my parents ever drove. My nan lived in Herne Hill, Brixton, which meant 2 trains weekly. I still remember the sweet sound of the heavy door slamming shut !
    Pub life was the norm. Everybody went to the pub. My dad was Irish and visited the pubs more than most. Our regular holiday was a caravan site at Hastings. My uncle used to drive us there in his black cab. We used to stop at many pubs on the way and the kids had to sit in the garden. No motorway then, it was all A roads and took ages.
    I think as we get older, our memories of youth become all the more sweeter.....
    I wish I could return to those happy days quite often.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Mar 25 2016, 23:48

About eight months before I was born (strange, that!) my folks set off for a holiday in Cornwall. Near Exeter my old man pulled out to pass a long line of parked cars. Yes they'd never seen a traffic jam before!

I remember the old slam door trains and going up to London past the Battersea Power Station, once on a steam train and we forgot to close the carriage window before going through a tunnel so all the steam and soot came in. Used to watch the steam trains between Ringwood and Brockenhurst in the New Forest, which was our old stamping ground, and remember when the station cafe actually was a station.

Mother was a teacher so in addition to the family holiday she used to take me places, by train before she bought her own car. We went to Hove (NEVER Brighton, a family tradition) and Margate (remember Dreamland?)

Until their later years they were always picnickers rather than pub-goers.

Later I remember bowling up and down the M1 in coaches or hitching, and my favourite motorways were the northern M6 and the M62 before it was completed - now I believe it is even more congested than the M25. Oh and the M4 being built through South Wales. And the first Concordes flying out of the factory at Bristol, and nearly the last flight when I lived near Gatwick - they could land there but not take off with a full load, so used to do a circuit from Heathrow every so often to keep their hand in. Beautiful but noisy.

I'd like to go back, and then start off in a completely different direction.
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Mon Mar 28 2016, 18:58

M6 fine after Lancaster hence the proposal to put driverless lorry trains on the northern M6.
    D.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Mar 28 2016, 21:18

I remember the stunning views and magnificent bridges. 

Talking of bridges, when the Severn Bridge has only just been built they had to close one lane in each direction to reinforce it. Isambard Kingdom Brunel would have had apoplexy. A couple of decades ago I read that the M4 then had 1700% of the traffic it carried in my day, I guess it's even worse now.

Driverless lorry trains wouldn't be such a bad plan as long as they kept all the damn cars out of the way . . .
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Apr 05 2016, 00:12

Further reminiscences driven by the Port Talbot steel crisis - I also remember Redcar which I think is still there, and Consett and Ebbw Vale, both now gone. There were pits (coal mines) all over Durham and the Welsh Valleys. The Somerset coal mines had closed by the time I moved there, along with the Somerset and Dorset, except for a couple of lengths still running steam trains.

My gran lived to see the first airplanes, and the first men to walk on the moon. What are the kids of today concerned with? Sneakers and i-Phones . . .
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Wed Apr 06 2016, 21:01

Oh goodness 1969 and man walks on the moon ... so special to be able to watch that on TV and those words "One small step for man, a giant leap for mankind." are forever in my mind.

As you say these days if you haven't got the latest in sneakers (Converse I think) and i-phones (and they are not cheap) your life is in ruins ... or so some kids think, which is a great shame.
    Oh to enjoy the simple things in life ...
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Apr 06 2016, 21:58

Don't forget the Celebrities. I forgot the importance of Celebrities. When I was young I used to read about famous scientists and artists and musicians/composers.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu Apr 07 2016, 12:09

I sometimes look back and think I was fortunate to grow up in the times I did when famous people were "scientists and artists and musicians/composers."

Only yesterday I read this article "Harper Beckham Voted ‘Most Influential Child Celebrity’ In Fashion Beating Prince George"

Top marks for the continued success of Brand Beckham but articles like this just emphasize how our life / expectations have changed ... but is it for the best?

If you'd like to read more - it's here
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/harper-beckham-influential-celebrity-child-fashion_uk_5704d6e3e4b0e9cdf8df3c8a

Have a good Thursday folks, whatever you may be doing. sunny

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Apr 09 2016, 20:34

All surface, no depth.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03 2024, 02:40