THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Sugars seemed better when I first started but...

Lesley

Female Posts : 10

Sugars seemed better when I first started but... Empty Sugars seemed better when I first started but...

Post by Lesley Wed Sep 24 2014, 22:24

....after 2 weeks they seem to be starting to play up a little again.

I was getting hardly any swing, staying quite low between 4 - 7's but I have noticed that the last few days they seem to be climbing a little higher. I've hit the 11's, 12's and 13's! Which in all honesty, is still fantastic compared to the highs I was getting but I'm a little gutted that they haven't stayed as good as they were when I first started.

Is this normal? Has anyone else come across this? I haven't changed what I am eating Crying or Very sad
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Sugars seemed better when I first started but... Empty Re: Sugars seemed better when I first started but...

Post by Indy51 Wed Sep 24 2014, 22:43

If you haven't changed what you're eating, then it could be the onset of an infection - that can affect BG levels. Also, if you're a premenopausal female, I believe women can be affected by various times of their cycle.

Are you on any medication and are you tracking your carbs?

If the high trend continues for more than a week or so, then you may need to speak to your doctor about a medication review.
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Sugars seemed better when I first started but... Empty Re: Sugars seemed better when I first started but...

Post by AliB Thu Sep 25 2014, 09:51

I found this too Lesley.

I don't know why either.

I was eating higher carb for a while, not excessively, but just having a couple of rice cakes for lunch, or a small piece of home-made flapjack, etc., but have dumped the sugar and am now trying to keep my carbs under 20g per day.

I noticed when I first went LCHF around 5 years ago, that whilst it wasn't too bad at the beginning, I seemed to become more insulin resistant as time went on.

Going back to it has lowered my insulin requirement which is good, but it doesn't seem to make me any more sensitive.

I wish I knew why, or what I am doing wrong.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Sep 25 2014, 11:12

"I noticed when I first went LCHF around 5 years ago, that whilst it wasn't too bad at the beginning, I seemed to become more insulin resistant as time went on"

This is the opposite of most peoples experience, although with a low carb diet most become more sensitive to carbs, this is a good thing in my opinion, as carbs are poison for diabetics. Why consume unessential carbs and try to cover the poison with a big pharma antidote, it never made sense to me. The DUK, ADA etc love it, because they are funded by big pharma, hey ho it was always thus.

Eddie
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

Post by Dillinger Thu Sep 25 2014, 11:37

Lesley wrote:
    Is this normal?  Has anyone else come across this?  I haven't changed what I am eating Crying or Very sad

It does seem a bit high; could be that you are battling a mild infection. Have you considered 'carb creep' though? That is very common too. Once you take your eye off what you are eating the carbs can sneak up; milk in coffee, an extra bit of this or that with lunch, eating peanuts instead of macadamia and that sort of thing?

As a Type 1 I certainly need more insulin for carbohydrates than I used to; so my carbohydrate sensitivity has increased but that's fine as I try not to eat many of them. The volume of insulin I inject has gone down a great deal though.

The other great thing for insulin sensitivity is sprint exercises (aerobic) rather than steady state exercise; that will pull glucose from your blood having a similar effect (although I think a more pronounced effect) than metformin.

Lastly, you are normal! Diabetes is a slippery swine and likes to throw spanners in the works wherever it can...

Best

Dillinger

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 17:05