THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+4
Eddie
Derek
Wobblycogs
Jan1
8 posters

Going Back To My Youth !

chris c
    chris c

Going Back To My Youth ! - Page 2 Empty Re: Going Back To My Youth !

Post by chris c Fri May 12 2017, 00:35

I remember the steam trains in the New Forest, on the Ringwood to Brockenhurst line, some of which is now a road, and the old Holmsley Station which is now a tea rooms.

Saw the Flying Scotsman heading out of Kings Cross once pulling an excursion train, but by the time I used that line much the trains were double headed by Deltics. Now a collectors' item in their own right.

I preferred the coaches, they were cheaper and you were guaranteed a seat. I was rather fond of the old Bristol/ECWs

http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/?p=28452
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Fri May 12 2017, 18:06

The Holmsley Tea Rooms were a favourite food place my parents used to frequent, although called a Tea Room, the lunches were delicious and a good selection too! Eddie and I have visited once or twice but haven't been in ages (years)  - I think they are still going strong.

Thanks for the link to the Old Bus Photo's ... it never ceases to amaze me the various and differing blogs and sites that are available at a click of a button!

It is now a weekend or holiday treat for the grand-children to enjoy a bus or train ride (just locally), they find it exciting, I'm sure they will grow out of this though, so enjoy the moment while we all can.

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri May 12 2017, 23:21

I went last time I was in the New Forest - 2011. A bit high carb though.

On our family holidays we used to go over the border to a tea rooms in Ferndown, which was then a small village, and have a cream tea. More recently there was a restaurant in New Milton that did Arbroath Smokies, nor there was a treat I could still have today! Dunno if either of these are still there now though.

When I was young there used to be a Green Rover ticket which gave you unlimited travel for a day on London Country/Greenline buses. Sometimes I'd buy one and go for a trip around and back. I don't know if anything like that exists in these privatised days. I think there was also a day pass which you could use on the red London buses and the Underground.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Nov 29 2017, 11:33

Reading this and seeing the pictures took me back to my youth!

"Couple put 1950s classic home appliances up for sale after using them for more than 60 years

This couple's white goods look like museum pieces – and that is what they are hoping somebody will make them.

Sydney and Rachel Saunders have been using the appliances for more than half a century.
    But it was time for a clear-out and included in their sale is a £60 washer they were given in 1956 when they married.
    They also have a 1956 Belling cooker bought for £19, a 1963 Burco tumble dryer that cost £52 and a 1959 boiler that was £15.

Most still work but the couple had phased them out of use.
    They hope the set goes to a museum so future generations can appreciate "things that were made better".
    Sydney, 83, a retired accountant from Exeter, Devon, said: "In those days things were more durable and strong.

"The new ones are more sophisticated but it means if something goes wrong it can be quite a big job."

Rachel, 81, a retired carer, said: "It would be a shame for them to go to landfill.
    "You just don't get appliances made like that today.
    "I'd like them to go to a museum."

Do go and have a read and look at the pictures.
    What a lovely couple ...

Link here
    https://www.aol.co.uk/money/2017/11/20/couple-put-1950s-classic-home-appliances-up-for-sale-after-using/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Crelated_lnk1%26pLid%3D517555748_uk

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Nov 29 2017, 23:01

Oh bless!

Yes some of those things look familiar, from relatives and friends of my parents.

In those days things were not only made to last, they were made to be repaired. Now they mostly get junked and replaced when they break. People too.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Nov 30 2017, 18:12

Yes, back in those days they were made to be repaired.
    We now seem to live in a throw away society, and if your washing machine, vacuum cleaner etc. lasts for one day more than the guarantee you've done well!

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Dec 03 2017, 23:04

My mother's Candy washing machine had a surprisingly long life considering it was cheap as chips.

The research I did suggested that they were not made that well nowadays - nor were most other brands - and in the end I splashed out on a Miele which came at a substantial discount. It outlasted her and will almost certainly outlast me as well.

OTOH the gas boiler was a disaster, the fitter recommended a Vaillant on the basis they weren't the most reliable but were cheap and easy to repair. By the time it broke down, much sooner than expected, he had gone out of business. Hopefully a Worcester Bosch might be less deciduous (crosses fingers).
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Dec 05 2017, 18:49

Goodness, you've brought back a memory!
    My dear mum and dad had a Candy some years back, it was so reliable - and yes it wasn't expensive.

Talking about gas boilers and heating ... looking back to my youth I can remember sitting by the coal fire and one side of my face being warmer/hotter than the other (well of course it would be). Something wonderfully warming and peaceful about a coal fire and the flickering flames ...

Would the younger generation appreciate that now? They are so used to central heating!!!

All the best Jan

chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Dec 05 2017, 22:24

Oh yes, we had coal fires too! An open one in the lounge, with a fireguard you had to put up when you left the room in case it spat bits of burning coal onto the rug, and a coal boiler in the kitchen which dad used to riddle with gusto.

Both could be shut down by piling ashes on top, then restarting them the following day. In fact most of the contents of out dustbin were ashes from the fires. Now most of my non-recycling rubbish is plastic Sad

In Durham I had a coal fire with swing-out pot stands you could use for cooking, or keeping the coffee pot hot, and people would take a shovelful of fire upstairs and put it into the bedroom grate.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 27 2018, 23:35

Going back to my youth …
    I can remember sitting and watching the BBC 'Watch With Mother' television programmes.

Years pass by ...
    I can then remember sitting watching the Children's programme Postman Pat with both our children and grandchildren …

I read today that the creator of Postman Pat John Cunliffe died

"Postman Pat creator John Cunliffe has died at the age of 85.
    The author passed away in Ilkley, West Yorkshire, on September 20.
    He delighted generations of children with his tales of rural postman Pat Clifton and his black and white cat Jess, who lived in the fictional village of Greendale."

Yes, he certainly did delight - thank you John

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/john-cunliffe-dead-at-85-postman-pat-and-rosie-and-jim-creator-dies/ar-BBNCgIQ?ocid=spartanntp

All the best Jan
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Fri Sep 28 2018, 12:12

Your both probably too young to remember ice making floral patterns on the windows of one's bedroom and bathroom?
    D.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Sep 28 2018, 18:35

Long birder wrote:Your both probably too young to remember ice making floral patterns on the windows of one's bedroom and bathroom?
    D.

I do remember, and so does Eddie...

It's a story we quite often tell the children and now grandchildren … who stare in disbelief  Shocked
    How times change …

All the best Jan

NB We haven't had to put our heating on yet … although our evenings are getting cooler, I think they are talking possible snow for Scotland  affraid
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Sep 28 2018, 23:52

Watch with Mother? When I were a lad we had Listen with Mother on the wireless. I was enthralled by the shipping forecast that preceded or followed it with the names of all the ocean regions.

Then there was Uncle Mac, and Larry The Lamb. TV was something we watched at gran's.

Yup I remember the ice on the window panes, and the winter of 62 - 63 where the snow lay for months and when it finally started to thaw it slid down the roof and took off the gutters.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Sep 30 2018, 18:41

I do remember that winter of 62 - 63 …

and looking at old edition papers -
    So cold the SEA froze and the temperature went down to -22C in Scotland !

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-winter-of-1963-was-so-cold-1539625

Just thinking about it makes me feel cold Brrrr  brrr

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19 2024, 10:40