THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
Andy12345
Paul1976
Jan1
chris c
zand
9 posters

Thought for the day.

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Thought for the day. - Page 2 Empty Re: Thought for the day.

Post by graham64 Fri Jul 22 2016, 21:53

Wobblycogs wrote:I am going to watch the upcoming program 'Fixing Dad'. Someone has reversed his type 2 with diet and exercise (Cycling). I think it's based on the standard 'Don't Eat Fat' message though, because the consensus, from the trailers, is that obesity causes type two; misread evidence, for which they could be forgiven, as many type twos seem to be overweight. Not all though, of course. They can't be forgiven for thinking fat makes you obese though; far too much evidence to the contrary. Evil or Very Mad

Hi Wobbly, actually in the Fixing Dad they were very scathing about the standard NHS dietary advice and talked about drastically cutting back on carbs

Check out this video from the PHC it features Geoff the dad and Anthony one of his sons, around eight minutes into the video Anthony reveals his thoughts on dietary advice for diabetics and he doesn't mince his words

Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Male Posts : 98

Post by Wobblycogs Fri Jul 22 2016, 22:59

Thanks Graham. I understood there was a web site supporting this venture. Paula something or another. dot com. I went to that site, and it was spouting low fat and high fibre etc.. The usual rubbish of course. So I will watch and enjoy this programme. Now. the big question... Shall I visit Halfords? Buy a bike?

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to cycle with knee replacements.

Wobbly! beer
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Jul 23 2016, 10:28

Derek wrote:The real conflict will come between those who know HFLC works for obesity, diabetes and lot of other conditions and Eddie's friends in big business (food producers and drug manufacturers).

It will cripple the food production industries if low carb catches on.
    It will be a Max Min equation between diabetes drug costs and lack of money from low carb sales!
    I don't think I'll be here long enough to see outcome.
    D.

"Eddie's friends in big business (food producers and drug manufacturers)" affraid affraid affraid
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Sat Jul 23 2016, 10:58

When HFLC catches on... I hope! But we still have to eat. The food industries that will be ruined won't be the meat and fish industries, nor the fresh vegetable industries. (The root crop part maybe.)

The grain industry might feel the pinch though! rofl

It's more complicated than that, but I hope you get my drift folks! thumb-up
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sat Jul 23 2016, 11:04

Wobblycogs wrote:When HFLC catches on... I hope! But we still have to eat. The food industries that will be ruined won't be the meat and fish industries, nor the fresh vegetable industries. (The root crop part maybe.)

The grain industry might feel the pinch though! rofl

It's more complicated than that, but I hope you get my drift folks! thumb-up

One of my blog rants from 2011 http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/what-if-we-all-low-carbed.html

What if we all low carbed?

Anyone who knows me, has heard the low carb message. It’s pretty much become a part-time job spreading the word. I have been described as a low carb evangelist, a fanatic, a nutter and a broken record, and that’s only the good stuff. The bad stuff is not fit to repeat here, women and possibly some kids may read this blog. You get my drift.

Us low carb believers, believe in the way of life totally, by definition we would like to see everyone, both diabetics and non diabetics drop the high carb/sugar diet and see the light, but what if they did?

Check out your local supermarket, almost everywhere you look, its ready meals, bread, rice, pastry, cereals, pasta, cakes, biscuits, crisps, sweets,etc.etc. High carb/sugar foods wherever you look. So, what if we strip out all that food ? Well, there would be one hell of a lot of empty shelves. No problem, restack the shelves with real food, food that I call clean food. Food that has had minimal intervention by man. Food that is not full of chemical preservatives, sugar, artificial colouring, flavourings, in short, not full of poison, and often more indicative of a failed science experiment, than real fresh healthy food.

So everyone goes low carb, real food, great eh. Maybe not, the big problem is we could not produce enough to keep everyone happy and well fed. Someone once said “be careful what you wish for, you might just get what you want”

Ever wondered why the American food pyramid was set up and adopted over here? Do you think the boffins and politicians really thought basing diets on starch and sugar, was a way to a healthy population ? No way, it was a way to keep the masses toiling away, and with enough cheap calories to keep the factories and offices making money. Of course, it also put trillions into the pockets of big pharma and the multinational food companies. A win, win situation for some ! But what a cost, to the health, of hundreds of millions of people.

Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Sat Jul 23 2016, 13:25

I'm with you all the way Ed. It's just that it boils my blood that the answer to the obesity 'puzzle', is on the Supermarket shelves; in all its multicoloured glory, staring the 'experts' in the face. But no, they prefer to blame us; accusing us of sloth and gluttony; of being 'couch-potatoes'. And why 'potatoes'? Are they just rubbing it in? Do they know something we know too? Evil or Very Mad  

I don't have words to describe them I'm afraid.

Wobbs...  silent
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Jul 25 2016, 00:04

A little understood part of the equation, except to farmers, is inputs. In order to grow these vast prairies of wheat, rape, sugar beet etc. you need a lot of machinery eating diesel and a bunch of fertiliser and agrochemicals. You can cut down the inputs somewhat by using animal manure and even digested human ordure, as most of our farmers do, and by doing minimum-till - one farmer broadcasts rapeseed off the back of the combine header straight into the wheat stubble where it is then covered with chopped straw, and all he has to do is roll it in, no need for ploughing and cultivating.

By comparison, you can graze animals directly on grass, where their manure goes back into the soil, and feed them in winter on silage/haylage with only the addition of some high maintenance crops like maize and barley, or roots for the sheep. You can do this on a lot of land which can't be cultivated. You can also take off second crops of pheasant, partridge, grouse, etc. while improving the situation for wildlife. It's been calculated that some crops actually use more energy as input than they produce as output, especially when you take into account shifting them around the country on trucks.

The whole system is a house of cards built on quicksand, let alone the health consequences.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Wed Jul 27 2016, 09:38

Thought for the day. - Page 2 Malala%2BQuote
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Aug 01 2016, 16:20

This is not far from the truth these days.

Thought for the day. - Page 2 Coq9vMRWcAASH7n
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Wed Aug 03 2016, 14:13

Eddie wrote:This is not far from the truth these days.

Thought for the day. - Page 2 Coq9vMRWcAASH7n

I am afraid humans have always been like this, that's why we a ruining the planet and causing the Anthropocine  extinction!
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Sep 04 2017, 15:07

Thought for the day. - Page 2 Marshall_Ramsey_Cartoon_Happy_Labor_Day_Made_In_China-1LG

Pretty much the same story in the UK. Very occasionally I pick up something in a shop other than food, and say to Jan, jeez look at this, it wasn't made in China. Our last three purchases other than clothes or food have been a washing machine, a microwave and a kettle. You guessed it all made in China. OK, we could have bought German, at three times the price, but experience tells us the German stuff doesn't last three times as long. The Germans make some very nice cars Mercedes, Audi and BMW but again nowhere near as good as most people believe. Trust me, I know these things. I reckon on average you pay around £5K for the badge, in some cases much more. But hey, image is everything in a world of photo-shopped selfies, tattoos and everyone wants to be a celeb.

Have a great week folks.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Mon Sep 04 2017, 22:47

We had a kitchen installed over 30 years ago the fridge, freezer, double oven and extractor fan were all German AEG had many years of service from them all lasted over 20 years before replacements were needed, the quality of newer appliances may  not be as good though  Neutral
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Sep 06 2017, 23:35

VW used to make one of the best small diesels in the world, along with PSA (Peugeot/Citroen).

The subsequent turbo jobbie was a dog. Obviously they made a crap engine then instead of spending money on making it work right they spent the money on marketing and cheating the emissions test. I had one for a while then sold it on, I suspect it part burned the fuel into soot, hence the poor economy, then attempted to burn the soot in the Diesel Particulate Filter so no-one would notice.

The friends I sold it on to now have another VW with the 2 litre engine which appears (so far!) to be better.

Some Chinese stuff is really good, the main problem seems to be quality control. India is now a pretty good source for straightforward engineering, from spanners all the way up to cars.

I remember the days when the British led the world. Lions led by donkeys was the usual problem.

My Miele washing machine will probably outlive me, and I got fifteen years out of a Stihl strimmer, some German engineering is still world class. I'm also looking at AEG when I finally get around to redoing my kitchen. But yes a lot of stuff these days you pay for the badge rather than the product. Not always though, I made the mistake of buying Sigma lenses because they weren't far short of Canons optically, but mechanically they were a disaster and barely lasted beyond their warranty before crapping out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 01:06