THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
Jan1
Paul1976
Sally
zand
kash_kaz
9 posters

Newbie!!

kash_kaz

Newbie!! Empty Newbie!!

Post by kash_kaz Mon Sep 07 2015, 18:46

Hi guys My names Kash and recently been diagnosed T2. (6months)

The diabetic nurse was so unhelpful with useless advice like just swap to wholegrain and cut down on food! I then started reading the affects of diabeties on the Internet and felt doomed.

Reading some posts on here the LCHF diet seems like a dream come true and I have made the decision to get started!

I am planning my meals but just wondering if you have any suggestions on what to have for breakfast apart form scambles eggs or omelette?

I need to lose a lot of weight as well so hopefully this diet will help with that as well!

Any input would be appreciated !!
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Newbie!! Empty Re: Newbie!!

Post by zand Mon Sep 07 2015, 18:52

Hi welcome Smile

Well I tend to have either Fage Greek yoghurt (full fat) with or without a few berries

or leftover veg from the night before fried in lard, kind of bubble and squeak but without the potatoes

or bacon and good quality sausages (you need to check the carb content on the pack, some sausages have a high amount of cereal and therefore contain a lot of carbs. )

I'm sure others will be along with more ideas soon.  Smile
    Sally
    Sally

Post by Sally Mon Sep 07 2015, 19:00

Welcome, Kash!  Here are some of the breakfasts I and my husband eat:

Mushrooms cooked in butter.  Add any of the following that take your fancy:  chopped tomato, cream, mustard, parsley, anchovies, or anything else you might have.

Slices of salami/ ham or similar, along with slices of cheese, few olives, cherry tomatoes a few salad leaves.

Fried egg and black pudding.

Sausages, with a few salad leaves and tomatoes.

Smoked salmon, with wilted spinach or asparagus, usually also with a poached or scrambled egg.

Poached smoked haddock, usually with wilted spinach and a poached egg.

Sardines (tinned) and a few salad bits and bobs.

And then there are all the days where eggs take centre stage, so lots more variety than when we used to have muesli and sliced banana everyday.

Sally
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Mon Sep 07 2015, 19:08

Hi and welcome! Smile

I tend to eat similar breakfasts as Zand and Sally above although I do sometimes add a low carb bread called 'LivLife seriously seeded bread' which is available in Waitrose or certain Morrisons stores depending on where you live,It's only 3.8 grams total carbs per slice and I have it toasted with butter and peanut butter for breakfast sometimes or as cheese on toast or as soldiers for my boiled eggs.

Last edited by Paul1976 on Mon Sep 07 2015, 19:13; edited 1 time in total
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Mon Sep 07 2015, 19:13

Welcome aboard Kash I am sure we can help you to a safer place. We have some very experienced and clever people here, but we do not forget we were all newbies once. Chill out and remember there is no such thing as a stupid question and you will always get a straight answer here.

All the best Eddie
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Sep 07 2015, 19:18

Hello Kash ... a warm welcome from me too sunny

Would this type of morning dish suit you?
    It's 'Just Nuts Grain-Free Granola' and very low in carbs.

Newbie!! Gran-and-yog-2-710x399

Just Nuts Grain-Free Granola

Ingredients:
    (this makes 20 servings so adjust as necessary)

2 cup Almonds + ¼ cup flaked almonds
    1 cup Mixed nuts - macadamia, brazil
    ½ cup each sunflower and pumpkin seeds
    ½ cup Coconut (thread or dessicated)
    ½ cup Flaxseeds ground
    2 tsp Cinnamon
    1 Egg
    ⅓ cup Coconut oil

Instructions:

Place all nuts in a blender and pulse blend until ground (usually in 2 batches), not fully, you want to have some texture in your mixture.
    Mix blended nuts, seeds, coconut, and cinnamon in a bowl.
    Add oil and egg and mix well.
    Spread mixture over a baking tray lined with grease proof paper and bake for around 20-30 mins at 180 degrees.
    Throughout cooking time stir and turn mixture on the tray so that the whole mixture browns evenly.
    Remove from oven, cool and store in an airtight container.
    I find it keeps very well in the fridge.
    Serve with cream, full fat Greek yoghurt, or my new favourite - Almond/coconut milk.

Nutrition Information:
    Serves: 20
    Serving size: 1
    Calories: 133
    Fat: 12.6g
    Saturated fat: 4.9g
    Carbohydrates: 0.8g

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Sep 07 2015, 19:30

I'm pretty boring breakfastwise, I usually have a buttered oatcake (5 - 6g carb) with smoked salmon. Sometimes a handful of salad (you can find some pretty decent mixed leaves and add some watercress etc) or nuts.

I have been known to eat bacon with said oatcake and butter, or even a lamb chop.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Mon Sep 07 2015, 21:32

Welcome to the forum Kash, one word......bacon......
    kash_kaz

Post by kash_kaz Mon Sep 07 2015, 21:59

Wow can't believe the amazing response in such a short time! Sorry I may have forgotten to mention I don't eat bacon lol. Sorry I can't thank you guys individually but I'm posting off s mobile so difficult to do so!

I'm just getting a weekly plan prepared and will update you all once I have gotten this. Hopefully can get some tips and pointers if I'm planning the right types of food as I'm useless at this kind of things lol!!
    kash_kaz

Post by kash_kaz Mon Sep 07 2015, 22:00

Also another question I had was would it be detrimental if I added say a couple of potatoes for the WEEK into the plan? I was thinking of using mash potatoes in some fish cakes?
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Mon Sep 07 2015, 22:35

Hi Kash a warm welcome from me too  Very Happy

Another breakfast option I use is Honey & Pecan Grain Free Granola at only 6.8g carbs per serving it's low carb and has minimal effects on BG.

It's expensive at £5.75 a packet, available at Sainsbury's and I believe Waitrose stock it too.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/the-paleo-foods-co-grain-free-granola-honey---pecan-340g
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Sep 07 2015, 23:07

kash_kaz wrote:Also another question I had was would it be detrimental if I added say a couple of potatoes for the WEEK into the plan? I was thinking of using mash potatoes in some fish cakes?

Personally I avoid potatoes but that's my choice, I doubt a couple a week will do much harm but if you have a meter and test strips I'd check blood sugars before and two hours after the meal to see how much the potatoes raise your BG.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Sep 08 2015, 00:56

Kash if you don't mind me asking, what sort of numbers are you seeing on your BG meter and what is your daily carb intake. Also are you using any diabetes medications.
    kash_kaz

Post by kash_kaz Tue Sep 08 2015, 09:48

Hi all I have finally managed to log on a computer so can give a better reply and thank you all for your responses. Sorry if I have missed anyone out

zand – I think the yogurt is a great idea for a couple days of the week – would a yogurt with the following be okay to have as a smoothie blended with a few berries? Figures are per 100g

Carbohydrates 6.4g
    Of which sugars 3.4g

Sally – Some great suggestions thanks… especially

Jan – I am really rubbish at cooking but will try this

Paul1976 – would love to have bread but think I will only introduce this once I know I have BG level in control

graham64 – That does look good but really expensive!! Would you have this with milk?

Eddie – This is where I am really struggling at the moment. I am currently on 2000mg metformin which I understand is a high dosage. When I was originally tested I believe my BG reading was 20! Since cutting out sugars and having metformin the last 2 readings I had with the diabetic nurse was 9.4 and then 8.9 (within a few weeks of each other)

I had no idea that I should be testing myself until I came across this forum so I will be booking a appointment with the nurse to see if they supply me with one.

Sorry for all the questions but I don’t really have anyone else to ask them!!

I am close to completing my weekly plan and hopefully can get started ASAP to try and get my BG levels normal and hopefully reduce medication. Really worried about complications especially as I am overweight and try to keep a brave face so that the family don’t see how worried I am. I have to say though the response from this forum has been very very encouraging
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Tue Sep 08 2015, 10:16

The one I have is 3.8g total carbohydrate per 100g. You need to look at total carb content, the sugar content is a bit of a red herring as all carbs eventually turn to sugar in our bodies anyway. You also need to remember to have full fat products, not low fat because the low fat ones are often packed with sugar or artificial flavourings.

I would say try the yoghurt and see what your meter readings do, when you get one.

Have you seen this link?

https://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t656-intro-to-low-carb-for-beginners

It's got lots of helpful info, but keep asking those questions! Smile
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Tue Sep 08 2015, 10:18

PS I'm really rubbish at cooking too, but I have promised Jan I will try one of the recipes on here soon Smile   Shocked   bitenails

As you can see from my signature I too am still very overweight. However since following LCHF I am at my lowest weight for ten years. Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Sep 08 2015, 12:51

Hi Kash this is the situation, please don't be alarmed, it was the same for most of us, but all can be sorted. The situation in the UK regarding type two diabetes care is so poor it borders on criminal, most medics are so clueless it beggars belief. Yes bold statements but most members here would agree with me I am sure. In the early days of type two diabetes regular checking of blood glucose numbers is 100% imperative if you are ever going to get safe control of your diabetes, no if's no buts.

Try and get a meter and at least 50 test strips a month on prescription, many medics will not do this, for many idiotic reasons I will not bore you with now. Check out the link to our website and read about BG testing, I will come back to you when you tell me you have read it, with more info.

Above all things stay cool, most of us have been in the place you are, and if you give it your best, you too can be sorted. This ain't no rocket science, it is plain old common sense. All you probably have to do is stop eating the food that has made you ill.

Link to why you have to test http://www.lowcarbdiabetic.co.uk/The%20Tool%20Kit.htm

kash_kaz

Post by kash_kaz Tue Sep 08 2015, 14:14

Thanks Eddie I have read the link.

Also think I will be calling my doctors to try and get a monitor and strips first
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Sep 08 2015, 15:20

kash_kaz wrote:Thanks Eddie I have read the link.

Also think I will be calling my doctors to try and get a monitor and strips first

Make it a priority Kash and don't take no for an answer, without a meter and test strips you will be completely in the dark.

Good luck. thumb-up
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue Sep 08 2015, 21:36

Kash wrote:graham64 – That does look good but really expensive!! Would you have this with milk?

You get eight servings from a pack that works out around 72p per serving, I don’t have it every day but it’s an easy quick breakfast when I need to be out of the house early, I don’t use milk due to the carbs instead I have unsweetened almond milk.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue Sep 08 2015, 21:54

kash_kaz wrote:Thanks Eddie I have read the link.

Surgery's are reluctant to give out monitors and strips but as Eddie said don't take no for an answer, if that fails you can always purchase a cheap monitor and strips.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SD-CODEFREE-DIABETES-BLOOD-GLUCOSE-MONITOR

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50x-SD-CODEFREE-BLOOD-GLUCOSE-MONITOR-MONITORING-TEST-TESTING-REPLACEMENT-STRIPS-/310354761742
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Sep 08 2015, 22:01

Agreed, it's well worth paying for one and using it a LOT at first. When you get a handle on what's occurring and what causes it you can probably relax your testing and use it only when you're not sure of the results.

Many doctors and nurses will try to talk you out of doing even that, which verges on criminal.
    kash_kaz

Post by kash_kaz Mon Sep 14 2015, 11:40

Hi All

Hope you all have had a great weekend. Apologies for not replying but have been away with work. I have now managed to devise a eating plan to start with. It’s a bit repetitive but I thought I would start with this then keep adding/changing as i got more used to the diet.

Could you guys take a look and just advise if I am in the right direction carbs wise. The only carbs i will be adding is 1 whole potato a week ( to add in fish cakes) and if you could let me know if you think I am missing anything to need to cut back on anything this would be a massive help.

Where I have put takeaways – it means I will be eating out but will ensure no carbs so a typical meal would be steak with salad

Sorry for the lengthy post!

MONDAY Breakfast - Full fat Yogurt with berries    Lunch - Chicken Wings coleslaw & salad   Dinner - Lamb Kebab coleslaw & salad

TUESDAY Breakfast - Cheese Mushroom Omelette    Lunch - Lamb Kebab coleslaw & salad   Dinner - Chicken Wings coleslaw & salad

WEDNESDAY Breakfast - Turkey Frittata    Lunch - Tuna Fish cakes coleslaw and vegetables   Dinner - Chicken Breast with cheese coleslaw salad

THURSDAY Breakfast - Full fat Yogurt with berries    Lunch - Chicken Wings coleslaw & salad   Dinner - Tuna Fish cakes coleslaw and vegetables

FRIDAY Breakfast - Turkey Frittata    Lunch - Tuna Fish cakes coleslaw and vegetables   Dinner – Takeaway

SATURDAY Breakfast - Full fat Yogurt with berries    Lunch - Chicken Breast with cheese coleslaw salad   Dinner – Takeaway

SUNDAY Breakfast - Sausage with scrambled eggs    Lunch - Lamb Kebab coleslaw & salad   Dinner - Chicken Wings coleslaw & salad
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Mon Sep 14 2015, 15:22

That menu looks pretty good to me Kash. Nice variety. I don't think 1 potato a week is gonna do any harm. How are your BG numbers at present ?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Mon Sep 14 2015, 15:56

Agree with Mo above-That all looks like a very good start carbs wise to me and one small portion of potatoes used in a recipe per week is unlikely to cause any harm...I pretty much started off with simple salads with various meats,omelettes etc and gradually experimented over time with various low carb recipes and went from there.

Did you manage to obtain a meter and strips at the GP's practice? If not,it's not the end of the world and the codefree meter and strips as shown in Graham64's link on this thread are the most economical and most widely used by type 2 diabetics who have to fund their own testing.

Regards

Paul

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content