THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+4
Paul1976
Eddie
zand
Lesley
8 posters

Hello from a newbie!

Lesley

Female Posts : 10

Hello from a newbie! Empty Hello from a newbie!

Post by Lesley Tue Sep 09 2014, 17:36

Hi there everyone!

I have been type 1 for 18 years and have ALWAYS struggled with my sugars.

I started off on 2 injections a day at the tender age of 18 then slowly moved onto 4 injections per day and when that still didn't make much difference I moved over to the pump. I have been on the pump for 5 years in October and although it has helped alot, I still swing from low to high and no two days are the same. Everyone's lows and highs are completely different but mine can range from 1.6 right up to the 30's Sad !

I have tried to low carb a few times but always seem to stumble when I'm not prepared, there aren't many convenient foods you can grab in the office which are low carb.

I am so glad I have found this forum / site and really hope I can get my head around this tiring effort of trying to stabilise my blood sugars!

Looking forward to meeting you all

Lesley x
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Hello from a newbie! Empty Re: Hello from a newbie!

Post by zand Tue Sep 09 2014, 17:39

Hi Lesley it's really good to meet you. It's so encouraging to meet a type 1 who wants to learn about low carbing, you have definitely come to the right place. Welcome! Smile
    Lesley

Post by Lesley Tue Sep 09 2014, 17:41

Thank you! I really hope I can get myself sorted!

Are you new to low carbing?

L x
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Sep 09 2014, 17:47

Hi Lesley

A very warm welcome. I am a type two, who was taught a great deal by a type one diabetic called Fergus. His story is at the link, he went from very poor control to HbA1c in the fours. Not long ago he was running marathons and low carbing changed his, and most of the people here, lives around.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

http://www.dsolve.com/sucess-stories/199-fergus

Regards Eddie
    Lesley

Post by Lesley Tue Sep 09 2014, 17:55

Thank you Eddie!

I think it will help me finding out what people in my circumstances eat. I get fed up of having scrambled eggs for breakfast but I am the first to admit that I'm not very adventurous in the kitchen!

Can't wait to meet everyone.

I have never met another diabetic in 'Real life' so it will be great to talk to everyone.

Lesley x
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Tue Sep 09 2014, 18:00

Welcome Lesley! Smile

I would say 100% that low carb is the way to go for type 1 diabetes-Lower carbs=lower insulin requirements=less room for error and fluctuations between hyper and hypo and is great for weight loss if needed or weight maintenance if you up the fats after weight loss is achieved. Smile I have a slower onset form of type 1 but low carb has enabled me good control on a basal only regime
    What are you eating at the moment on a day to day basis?

Best wishes

Paul
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Tue Sep 09 2014, 18:01

Lesley wrote:Thank you!  I really hope I can get myself sorted!

Are you new to low carbing?

L x

Hi, I am so sorry, I keep replying and then losing the message.  Um, about 10 years ago I started gradually changing my really awful diet.  I started with changing what I drank and then followed on by changing the food.  3 years ago I became type 2 diabetic.  I controlled my BG's for a couple of years by low carbing.  Then I discovered a diabetes forum and read about LCHF and realised it was basically what I was doing already.  Unfortunately for several reasons one of which was depression, I lapsed at the beginning of this year, so started again in April.  I have followed it fairly well since then, my latest HbA1c was 42, so I would like to improve this for next time.  So I'm still learning.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Tue Sep 09 2014, 18:04

Lesley wrote:Thank you Eddie!

I think it will help me finding out what people in my circumstances eat.  I get fed up of having scrambled eggs for breakfast but I am the first to admit that I'm not very adventurous in the kitchen!

I have never met another diabetic in 'Real life' so it will be great to talk to everyone.

Lesley x

I so wish I liked eggs. I'm not adventurous in the kitchen either!
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 09 2014, 18:42

Hello Lesley and welcome  sunny

You can see from my signature that I am not a diabetic but choose to live the low carb high fat lifestyle. I have been doing this for over six years and find it suits me. I do not have any other underlying health problems. I just don't see the need to eat high amounts of sugar, carbs and starches, they do not do any of us any favours, and there is so much choice of good whole real foods which are very nutritious and fit nicely in my weekly menu plan.

Warm welcome and look forward to seeing you around the forum.

All the best Jan
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Tue Sep 09 2014, 19:16

hi welcome Smile
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Tue Sep 09 2014, 21:40

Lesley wrote:Thank you Eddie!

I think it will help me finding out what people in my circumstances eat.  I get fed up of having scrambled eggs for breakfast but I am the first to admit that I'm not very adventurous in the kitchen!

Lesley x

Hi Lesley welcome to our fledgling community Very Happy   Check out our blog for some low carb menu options you'll find many easy to follow recipes:  http://www.lowcarbdietsandrecipes.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers
    Graham
    Mud Island Dweller
    Mud Island Dweller

Female Posts : 228

Post by Mud Island Dweller Wed Sep 10 2014, 10:35

Welcome l am t2 but to me an egg is an egg.

I am a low carber and lucky that hub loves cooking and so when l am home l am spoilt l hate cooking can not cook and work away from home a lot.

At home l am on fried eggs and bacon for breakfast and a variety of nice dinners. When away it is scrambled egg, which l now hate and evening meal away tends to be boil in the bag fish with microwave veg.
    Most of the places l stay just have m'waves although for the next 3 weeks they have a niceish kitchen so l may just experiment....if l suddenly don't post again it is just my cooking has finally killed me.
    Given dogs have refused to eat my cooking in the past you can see my problem.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content