THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
Jan1
Paul1976
Sally
zand
kash_kaz
9 posters

Newbie!!

kash_kaz

Newbie!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Newbie!!

Post by kash_kaz Mon Sep 14 2015, 17:29

Thanks guys. My BG was 8.7 last time I check about a month back now. I've booked a appointment with my doctors next week now. Nightmare getting a appointment

Thanks for the feedback regards the diet. Getting started tomorrow or Wednesday as soon as I can do the shopping!
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Mon Sep 14 2015, 18:08

Hi Kash your grub list is looking good, you won't go far wrong on the carb front there. Maybe if you get some flack from your medics you might want to show them a print out of the grub we eat, if you get any baloney about poor diet etc.

These are the foods we live on. Looking at a typical plate of food we eat, vegetables cover around half to three quarters of the plate, the kind of vegetables in the picture, only starchy vegetables like potatoes are not included. As you can see below we have a massive range of foods to chose from. Anyone who tells you a low carb diet is restrictive, boring or unhealthy is deranged. The fact is, the majority of whole fresh food is low carb, whereas the majority of non whole fresh food is high carb junk.

Good luck and stick with us, we know what we are talking about and won't let you down.

Newbie!! - Page 2 Montage-of-various-vegetables-steven-puetzer

The remainder of our food plate contains fresh meat.

Newbie!! - Page 2 Meats

Or fish

Newbie!! - Page 2 Fish-on-ice

The remainder of our food and a large percentage of our calories come from healthy fats

Newbie!! - Page 2 Good+fats

Small amounts of low carb fruits also feature in our daily food intake

Newbie!! - Page 2 FRUIT+BERRIES+jpeg
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Sep 14 2015, 19:23

Sounds pretty good, as long as you like coleslaw and salad!

You can get more adventurous with the vegetables when you see what sort of BG results you are getting and how quickly they are coming down. I eat a selection of multicoloured peppers, garlic, mushrooms and broccoli all year, and olives, frozen spinach and frozen peas (careful with the latter until you've tested them) and a load of seasonal things like brussels sprouts and chestnuts (check the chestnuts too!) and purple sprouting broccoli in winter, asparagus in spring, samphire in early summer, runner beans in late summer).

Likewise I eat lamb (chops), beef, often ground, chicken, bacon, salmon, kippers, haddock, bloaters, frozen prawns etc. all year, and pheasant, venison, herrings, crab and crevettes when they are fresh and available.

Snacky things inlude oatcakes WITHOUT added wheat, smoked salmon, cheese, various nuts, 85% chocolate, oh and red wine. So as you can see it's a very hard diet to stick to . . .
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Mon Sep 14 2015, 21:48

chris c wrote:Sounds pretty good, as long as you like coleslaw and salad!

You can get more adventurous with the vegetables when you see what sort of BG results you are getting and how quickly they are coming down. I eat a selection of multicoloured peppers, garlic, mushrooms and broccoli all year, and olives, frozen spinach and frozen peas (careful with the latter until you've tested them) and a load of seasonal things like brussels sprouts and chestnuts (check the chestnuts too!) and purple sprouting broccoli in winter, asparagus in spring, samphire in early summer, runner beans in late summer).

Likewise I eat lamb (chops), beef, often ground, chicken, bacon, salmon, kippers, haddock, bloaters, frozen prawns etc. all year, and pheasant, venison, herrings, crab and crevettes when they are fresh and available.

Snacky things inlude oatcakes WITHOUT added wheat, smoked salmon, cheese, various nuts, 85% chocolate, oh and red wine. So as you can see it's a very hard diet to stick to . . .

All good stuff Chris, as for the frozen peas I opt for birds eye petit pois only 6.8g carbs per 100g
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Sep 15 2015, 17:34

Of course I missed out a lot of things including things I've eaten this week, like liver, sausages and avocado to name but a few.

Yes I like the petits pois especially too. Birds Eye own or run the local freezer factory. They tell the farmers when to sow so they have (theoretically) a succession of peas coming in through the season, and they only accept farms within about two hours travelling time so the peas are actually fresher than a lot of the non-frozen ones.

Other than that, and smoked things like bacon and salmon, and oatcakes with only a few ingredients, I avoid processed foods. Also sugar/HFCS, wheat and trans fats. I grossly reduce all other starches and Omega 6 seed oils, and most fruit except berries. What I DON'T eat makes a much shorter list!

The beauty of using a meter is that you get to see your own personalised response to things which others may get away with, and vice versa.
    kash_kaz

Post by kash_kaz Thu Sep 17 2015, 09:17

Morning Guys

Thanks for your replies as always. Just to update I have today started my plan so hopefully all goes well.

Just wanted to ask a quick question. What drinks are okay apart from tea coffee, water?

I have recently been having Asda’s Sparkling flavoured water which is no added sugar.

These are the ingredients/ nutritional values:

Ingredients

Carbonated Water , Apple Juice from Concentrate (2.0%) , Citric Acid , Flavourings , Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Dimethyl Dicarbonate) , Sweeteners (Sucralose, Acesulfame K) , Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrates)

Typical values Per 100ml
    Energy               7kJ/2kcal
    Fat               Trace
    of which saturates   Nil
    Carbohydrate   0.2g
    of which sugars   0.2g
    Fibre               Trace
    Protein               Trace
    Salt               Trace

Would this be okay to carry on drinking? I normally have a litre of this a day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Thu Sep 17 2015, 09:59

kash_kaz wrote:Morning Guys

Thanks for your replies as always. Just to update I have today started my plan so hopefully all goes well.

Just wanted to ask a quick question. What drinks are okay apart from tea coffee, water?

I have recently been having Asda’s Sparkling flavoured water which is no added sugar.

These are the ingredients/ nutritional values:

Ingredients

Carbonated Water , Apple Juice from Concentrate (2.0%) , Citric Acid , Flavourings , Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Dimethyl Dicarbonate) , Sweeteners (Sucralose, Acesulfame K) , Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrates)

Typical values            Per 100ml
    Energy                      7kJ/2kcal
    Fat                           Trace
    of which saturates       Nil
    Carbohydrate              0.2g
    of which sugars           0.2g
    Fibre                         Trace
    Protein                      Trace
    Salt                          Trace

Would this be okay to carry on drinking? I normally have a litre of this a day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Kash!

In terms of carbohydrates the Asda flavoured water is fine as are most sugar free squashes and diet sodas which have no effect on my blood glucose levels.

Regards

Paul
    kash_kaz

Post by kash_kaz Thu Sep 17 2015, 17:44

That's good to know because I struggle with plain water !!
    kash_kaz

Post by kash_kaz Thu Sep 17 2015, 17:45

Are these okay for a LCHF diet though?
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Thu Sep 17 2015, 18:17

kash_kaz wrote:Are these okay for a LCHF diet though?

I would say Yes - for most people. They weren't OK for me because I drank 2 litres of diet coke a day for several years. I was addicted to it and became intolerant of the artificial sweeteners which are said to cause insulin to be released into your system unnecessarily, in turn causing fatty liver and insulin resistance. I don't see any problem with using these drinks in moderation. My own advice to you would be to use them at the beginning while you are still getting used to LCHF and then once you are really up and running with it gradually move onto sparkling mineral water with maybe a squeeze of lime or lemon to flavour it. It's more natural and you will consume a lot less additives that way.

I can't see these drinks would be a problem in moderation, but I don't do anything in moderation Smile Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content